Today, December 12, 1970

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

A date that will live in infamy ( at least for Colorado Fans), Tulane shocked the Bowl World ( and there were only 11 bowls at the time)

"Those Little Green Men, Were Out Of This World"

https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 4883219456

even the Airline, is now history
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That was a glorious day. A lot of good players and the first upset of my years as a Wave fan.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
aus10dixon
Ripple

Does anyone know where I can find extended video clips of the 1970 Liberty Bowl? I have a number 24 jersey from that year, and it would be awesome if I could match it to the bowl game.
Wave755
Tsunami

1970, The Year of The Green, how time flies, I was just a kid then but still vividly remember that Liberty Bowl and the play of my heroes that day David Abercrombie and Rick Kingrea!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good stuff. Thanks tps.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Good stuff. Thanks tps.
Tulane Class of 1981
IM42lane
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Image

Tulane's ability to hold that Colorado offense to a mere 3 points is still an amazing feat to this day.

Great memories, and thanks for posting. ROLL GREEN WAVE !!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
pansdad
Ripple

I WAS THERE !!!!!!

I was in my first year of teaching Chemical Engineering. With the help of several students we organized a Greyhound Bus trip to the game. I, along with my future wife) was the "chaperone" with two bottles of scotch in my possession. We drove all night from uptown and arrived in Memphis several hours before the game. We went into a coffee shop to wait out the hours before the game. They asked us to leave not long before we left for the game; we did not purchase a great deal of their merchandise. From the coffee shop we walked to the stadium with me hiding the bottles of scotch in my big overcoat; it was freezing cold.

After waiting about an hour in the stadium the "Tulane Band" showed up. They had about 10 members. Our group developed the chant "Ungowa, Ungowa, we have that Coonass Power." We had several Cajun boys on the team. The way the second half opened up with Abercrombie making a long run back of the kickoff, we became confident the the Wave would prevail.

Near the end of the game we flooded the field, hugging players and coaches. One of the best days of my life.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

pansdad wrote:I WAS THERE !!!!!!

I was in my first year of teaching Chemical Engineering. With the help of several students we organized a Greyhound Bus trip to the game. I, along with my future wife) was the "chaperone" with two bottles of scotch in my possession. We drove all night from uptown and arrived in Memphis several hours before the game. We went into a coffee shop to wait out the hours before the game. They asked us to leave not long before we left for the game; we did not purchase a great deal of their merchandise. From the coffee shop we walked to the stadium with me hiding the bottles of scotch in my big overcoat; it was freezing cold.

After waiting about an hour in the stadium the "Tulane Band" showed up. They had about 10 members. Our group developed the chant "Ungowa, Ungowa, we have that Coonass Power." We had several Cajun boys on the team. The way the second half opened up with Abercrombie making a long run back of the kickoff, we became confident the the Wave would prevail.

Near the end of the game we flooded the field, hugging players and coaches. One of the best days of my life.
Great story. Thanks for sharing!
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

I just checked, in 1970 we finished 8-4, & for the AP final poll 17th in the nation.

1970 was truly the "Year of the Green."