Coaching Changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:If Willie Fritz goes to interview with SMU, (highly doubtful) I would tell him don't bother coming back.
yes, that would be disappointing. I don't see it on a number of levels, including the reality that SMU has the same basic problem we do: lack of butts in seats.

I think Tulane should bump Fritz to $1.5. I think he's done a great job program-building. The team discipline* is the best in 2 decades, and he's finally moving on recruiting. I realize that he botched a few games, but I really think it's personnel related. I just wish he had a natural successor on staff...to that end I'd like to see one of the coordinators get a head coaching job and bump one of the assistants to coordinator and then there would be more internal candidates, with evidence, out there.
*I think discipline is the number 1 challenge as a coach at Tulane - keeping players mentally focused for the entire season. Fritz does it and does it without being a jerk.

One a side note, how in the world did Rich Rod get to over $5 mill? I seem to recall that we offered more than Az did (in the $1.2 mill range) back in 2011.
We don't want anyone from his staff if he leaves. This is the WF show. He calls all the shots at every level. Good for him but not for the advancement of his staff. Whenever he leaves it has to be a wide open search. It would be a huge mistake to do otherwise.

We have always agreed that whoever our coach is he has to be a disciplinarian and Fritz is and does it well. The other prong is they must be someone that puts a premium on strength and conditioning. We will never get top level recruits and one way to make up for that is to be in peak physical condition.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote:

We don't want anyone from his staff if he leaves. This is the WF show. He calls all the shots at every level. Good for him but not for the advancement of his staff. Whenever he leaves it has to be a wide open search. It would be a huge mistake to do otherwise.
Well you are probably right. But I still would like to see what some of these coordinators can do on their own. Also, a little assistant rotation can keep things fresh.
Certainly agree on strength and conditioning.
ajcalhoun
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:If Willie Fritz goes to interview with SMU, (highly doubtful) I would tell him don't bother coming back.
And then do what exactly? It's not like we had people beating our door down to coach here last time.
God Bless Everyone!
JerseyWave
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:
And then do what exactly? It's not like we had people beating our door down to coach here last time.
If Fritz interviews for rival SMU and doesn’t get the job how could he remain at Tulane and try to sell the program to recruits, returning players, alumni, ticket holders etc. It would become a disaster. He would be tarnished. No way Tulane can keep him if he went after the SMU job.
austxwave
High Tide

I can't believe this is even a conversation.

WF is not going anywhere. He won't interview for the job. He hasn't accomplished anything worthy of someone offering him another job. He has improved the culture and to some degree the talent, but nobody hires you for a D1 football job on those merits. Get us into a bowl game next year or two...then someone will truly be interested in his services.

Same thing with TD. He hasn't accomplished anything of note...yet...which would warrant another university to inquire about his interest. When he gets the football program and the basketball program to the post season AND he proves he can fundraise a major project for athletics, then someone a step above us will come calling.

The day(s) will come...two, maybe three years down the road, but it's silly to have these conversations at this time.
Wavetime
Swell

Maybe this has always been the case and I'm just noticing it, but there sure seems to be a lot of AD's changing this year. Every year the coaching carousel turns, but the AD's? Guess the money and the "Win Now" attitude is getting to everyone.
Wave QB
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Sorry, I have no interest in Frank Wilson, with the way Fletcher Mackel wanted to shove him down our throat the last time.
I felt the same way at one time, but I think Frank would be good at Tulane.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Merged WF to Kansas into this “Coaching Changes” thread.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

austxwave wrote:I can't believe this is even a conversation.

WF is not going anywhere. He won't interview for the job. He hasn't accomplished anything worthy of someone offering him another job. He has improved the culture and to some degree the talent, but nobody hires you for a D1 football job on those merits. Get us into a bowl game next year or two...then someone will truly be interested in his services.

Same thing with TD. He hasn't accomplished anything of note...yet...which would warrant another university to inquire about his interest. When he gets the football program and the basketball program to the post season AND he proves he can fundraise a major project for athletics, then someone a step above us will come calling.

The day(s) will come...two, maybe three years down the road, but it's silly to have these conversations at this time.
That’s true, but one could say the same thing about Chad Morris. It’s true that SMU is bowl eligible this year, but that’s not a big deal for that program.
DrBox
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
That’s true, but one could say the same thing about Chad Morris. It’s true that SMU is bowl eligible this year, but that’s not a big deal for that program.
This is their 5th bowl team in over 30 years.
SMU hasn't fielded a ranked team (end of season), without cheating, in nearly 50 years.
Morris' Clemson pedigree is also a big part of his attraction.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DrBox wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
This is their 5th bowl team in over 30 years.
SMU hasn't fielded a ranked team (end of season), without cheating, in nearly 50 years.
Morris' Clemson pedigree is also a big part of his attraction.
That’s true, but SMU won at least 7 games every season from 2009-2012. In 2013, they only won 5, and then in 2014, the coach resigned after losing the first two. Morris began coaching there in 2015. Given the success of the program from 2009-2012 and then the barely non-bowl season of 2013, the program wasn’t nearly in the horrible shape the pundits are pretending it was in.

The Clemson pedigree helps, but, during his 3 years as SMU’s head coach, he never:
1. Finished in the top two of a division
2. Defeated a P5
3. Won a bowl
4. Defeated any high profile opponents other than Houston in 2016
tufinal4
High Tide

With all of this above, is there any indication (private or otherwise) that either coach Willie Fritz or AD Troy Dannen are less than enamored with being at Tulane and actively looking to move on at the first good opportunity.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Agree 100%. Neither has accomplished enough at this level to be a target YET. I'd like to see Fritz stay here until he retires, but won't blame him if a program offers him $3 million or more. Not sure exactly where I read this, but I read that $1.7 million put either Frost or Morris smack in the middle of AAC coaching salaries. Fritz deserves at least the average of our conference, if not more. And when he gets us to a bowl game, deserves to get a raise to $2-2.5 million.

I have the same sentiment as others about Fritz interviewing for another job, but if we fired him for doing so, we'd never be able to hire a quality coach again. When we give him his raise, we need to have a BIG buyout were he to leave.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: ... Not sure exactly where I read this, but I read that $1.7 million put either Frost or Morris smack in the middle of AAC coaching salaries. Fritz deserves at least the average of our conference, if not more. And when he gets us to a bowl game, deserves to get a raise to $2-2.5 million.
Must have been Frost. Morris was the highest paid G5 coach in the country at $2.1 mill.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great for David Pierce the guy loves baseball.
Hopefully Slosh gets another one similar.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
Great for David Pierce the guy loves baseball.
Hopefully Slosh gets another one similar.
The one big problem that DelConte will face, is the UT prez Greg Fenves...he is the type to stick his finger up his ass to see which way the "PC" wind is blowing
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
OUG
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote:Morris brought in his P5 and JUCO mercenaries for a short term pop, which he barely got with the hideous goal line call. He will definitely cash in with the first offer he gets. I agree, him going to Arkansas says a lot more about where Arkansas stands than where Morris stands--similar to the embarrassing fiasco at Tennessee. You look at the bottom half of these P5 conferences, and it just screams for a system of relegation, similar to what England's Premier Soccer League does.
I always laugh every time someone brings up relegation in American sports — even MLS. Implementing such a system in 2017 would require entities that “haves” being willing to become “have nots.” None of the “haves” would ever willingly assume that risk. The sports club system in europe and Latin America was built in the days when these were amateur clubs, or semi-professional at-best. It wouldn’t be implemented there today if they were starting from scratch. In fact I would say that it’s more likely you see the creation of a super-league of the top grossing clubs in European soccer with a franchise model like the NFL’s than any American league embracing relegation.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

OUG wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:Morris brought in his P5 and JUCO mercenaries for a short term pop, which he barely got with the hideous goal line call. He will definitely cash in with the first offer he gets. I agree, him going to Arkansas says a lot more about where Arkansas stands than where Morris stands--similar to the embarrassing fiasco at Tennessee. You look at the bottom half of these P5 conferences, and it just screams for a system of relegation, similar to what England's Premier Soccer League does.
I always laugh every time someone brings up relegation in American sports — even MLS. Implementing such a system in 2017 would require entities that “haves” being willing to become “have nots.” None of the “haves” would ever willingly assume that risk. The sports club system in europe and Latin America was built in the days when these were amateur clubs, or semi-professional at-best. It wouldn’t be implemented there today if they were starting from scratch. In fact I would say that it’s more likely you see the creation of a super-league of the top grossing clubs in European soccer with a franchise model like the NFL’s than any American league embracing relegation.
Agreed. They would never agree to be willing to give up that power. Imagine Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, or Florida being knocked to the G5 due to a down period.
austxwave
High Tide

I met him in 2000. He comes from the Rick Dickson tree having worked for him at Washington State. He's very impressive so i'm not shocked at his career path: WSU, Arizona, AD at Rice, AD at TCU, and now AD at Texas.
Bigschtick
Riptide

EXACTLY!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It's shameful that SMU replaced Morris with Dykes. SMU and UCF each had an opportunity for huge hires and they both blew it. That's not to say that their coaches won't work out, but it is to say that there were better options available at the time.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:It's shameful that SMU replaced Morris with Dykes. SMU and UCF each had an opportunity for huge hires and they both blew it. That's not to say that their coaches won't work out, but it is to say that there were better options available at the time.
I won't say it is shameful...but it is damn surprising.... but then again , Dykes may have promised never to leave, and had a 'King Cake" delivered to the Presidents office, for all to enjoy...on second thought, make it BBQ Sandwhich's
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:It's shameful that SMU replaced Morris with Dykes. SMU and UCF each had an opportunity for huge hires and they both blew it. That's not to say that their coaches won't work out, but it is to say that there were better options available at the time.
I won't say it is shameful...but it is damn surprising.... but then again , Dykes may have promised never to leave, and had a 'King Cake" delivered to the Presidents office, for all to enjoy...on second thought, make it BBQ Sandwhich's
I'm sure they'll take our less than informed opinions into consideration.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
Yep -sounds like that kind of deal.