Coaching Changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Robert1969
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:10 am The AD for Kansas may be brilliant, but he sure comes off as a dolt in his press conference announcing the Head Football Coach search.
Willy Fritz should take this job at Kansas, he'll have the AD job in his hands in a few short years.
Kansas should hire UAB’s coach.

Sunamiwave
High Tide

I think it’s hilarious that some of you guys want Les Miles at Tulane. Do you really think Les Miles and Cam Cameron’s 1950’s power back offense would work at Tulane? Give me a break. Les is not innovative on offense and is unwilling to change. Also, with the multi millions of dollars that Les receives from LSU every year I doubt he has the hunger and desire inside of him to put in the long hours necessary to be successful at Tulane. When the time comes for a new head coach, I want one that is a young, hungry, aggressive, and an up and coming assistant coach at a major Power 5 program. Preferably an offensive coordinator with an innovative spread offensive scheme.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sunami- no one here wants Miles. In fact if there is a change at some point for whatever reason most here want a spread offensive scheme.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:23 pm Sunami- no one here wants Miles. In fact if there is a change at some point for whatever reason most here want a spread offensive scheme.
+1,000
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Pepper
Swell

"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Will be interesting to see who the replacement will be. ULaLa's Napier will probably get some interest as will Skip Holtz. Jeff Fisher is in his early 60s and I don't believe he has any college coaching/recruiting experience. I would think any of those names would be more attractive to an SEC team than Coach Fritz.
Jamey Chadwell seems to be the sexiest name on their list.
1989alum
Low Tide

If by chance, Vanderbilt wants Willie and vice versa, so be it. Chance for us to trade up.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I highly doubt Fritz will be their guy. He struggles against the upper half of AAC competition, no way anyone should expect him to elevate Vanderbilt out of the SEC basement. Meanwhile, the losses we’ve suffered this season have left a very bitter taste in my mouth. We could get a nice buyout payment plus a fresh start. RichRod is once again available.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Willie has a good agent to always get his name thrown out there. Not happening. Their best choice is Lea if he'd take the job. He's truly a coach that tailors his system to the players he has. He makes great in game adjustments. He's going to be getting a lot of offers after this season.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave QB
Swell

Lea from Notre Dame might be the guy for Vanderbilt.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Vandy and South Carolina...two tuff places to win @ in the SEC...hell, Holtz and Spurrier had nominal success at South Carolina...Vandy will forever be a SEC bottom feeder ..every year they have to play Georgia, Auburn and Florida, their in division cupcakes are Tennessee and South Carolina. If they are lucky they get a year when the crossover does not include "Bama, LSU or Texas A&M, they get lite weights Mizzou, Ole Miss or Mississippi State....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

Neither Napier nor Fritz are going to Vandy. Especially Napier.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

When Fritz's agent starts trying to use these job openings as leverage, I hope Dannen doesn't even answer the phone call.
Show Me
Tsunami

I agree with winwave. Willie has a great PR agent. Willie had boosted our program fro the bottom to the middle but has yet to prove he can win at the top of the AAC. You’d probably see similar results if he were hired at Vandy facing better competition in the SEC. Vandy is a cush job. No one expects much from them. Their recently fired coach got 6 years over there.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He's improved us but we still aren't up to being in the middle of the conference. He has one winning conference record of 5-3 in a down year for the conference. In another down year in 2020 the best he can do is 3-5. Just clarifying that so we don't get caught up in good to great when it really is below average to average that we are trying for next.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:00 am I agree with winwave. Willie has a great PR agent. Willie had boosted our program fro the bottom to the middle but has yet to prove he can win at the top of the AAC. You’d probably see similar results if he were hired at Vandy facing better competition in the SEC. Vandy is a cush job. No one expects much from them. Their recently fired coach got 6 years over there.
And for that very reason, if Vandy offered the job to Fritz I think he would take it. We know Vandy's watermark, 0-8 after 6 years. So Willie could get more money for at least 6 years, after which he'd probably check in at the retirement home.
DrBox
Riptide

One thing Fritz has never had is above-average QB play. He's improved us a lot without it, and I'd like to see what he can do with it.
The risk of a Davis, Scelfo, English, Teevens, Toledo, CJ is just too great, and the downside of such a coach too deep, for me to be anything that very hopeful that he stays.
GreenLantern
Riptide

DrBox wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:10 pm The risk of a Davis, Scelfo, English, Teevens, Toledo, CJ is just too great, and the downside of such a coach too deep, for me to be anything that very hopeful that he stays.
I understand your concern but I believe that Troy Dannen is much less likely to put us in a Toledo/CJ situation than Tricky Ricky. I believe that Troy was surprised at the ineptness of Mike Dunleavy and is unlikely to duplicate his failure should he have to replace his football coach.

Also take comfort in knowing that Tulane is in a much more desirable position for a newhire coach than we were when Willie Fritz came onboard.
Wave755
Tsunami

What about Les Miles, don't you think he would like "back in the SEC"? And, he has "guided" the Kansas Jayhawks to an 0 & 8 start this season?🤷‍♂️ ;) :lol: https://fbschedules.com/kansas-football-schedule/
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:10 pm One thing Fritz has never had is above-average QB play. He's improved us a lot without it, and I'd like to see what he can do with it.
The risk of a Davis, Scelfo, English, Teevens, Toledo, CJ is just too great, and the downside of such a coach too deep, for me to be anything that very hopeful that he stays.
First off that's on him. Plus you have to think about the fact that Hall may move on after this season. what happens with our QB situation then? Also as GL said RD isn't the AD anymore. Last but not least WF isn't getting that job.
McWave
High Tide

Should Fritz leave, maybe that open the door for Hall.
DrBox
Riptide

Our lousy coach hiring hasn't been limited to RD; some pretty good Tulane ADs hired some pretty awful football coaches. What gives me some comfort, should it come to that, is Fitts v. Kelly and Cowen.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's true that other AD's have messed up on hires. We have to trust the current AD at any point to be able to make good hires. if he/she shows a pattern of bad hires we need to rid ourselves of that AD.
gbgreenie
Surge

JerseyWave wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:31 pm I highly doubt Fritz will be their guy. He struggles against the upper half of AAC competition, no way anyone should expect him to elevate Vanderbilt out of the SEC basement. Meanwhile, the losses we’ve suffered this season have left a very bitter taste in my mouth. We could get a nice buyout payment plus a fresh start. RichRod is once again available.
Rich Rod with Shawn King as either Offensive Coordinator or Quarterback Coach, Yessssssss
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:02 pm Rich Rod with Shawn King as either Offensive Coordinator or Quarterback Coach, Yessssssss
But wait....gbg....really? Neither Shaun King nor Rich Rodriguez meet your criteria for a good coach as both are significantly overweight. Neither one would pass your "Dickie Longo" test.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V