December 1, 1973

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
Greatest game I’ve ever attended.
Absolutely!!!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetime
Swell

Absolutely!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The next best, in my opinion, was the year Vince Gibson went to BR on a rainy night and Reggie's "catch and run in the rain".....where is that highlight hiding ?....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:The next best, in my opinion, was the year Vince Gibson went to BR on a rainy night and Reggie's "catch and run in the rain".....where is that highlight hiding ?....

This is close., 11:45 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLvRSX-qMe0
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:The next best, in my opinion, was the year Vince Gibson went to BR on a rainy night and Reggie's "catch and run in the rain".....where is that highlight hiding ?....

THANKS !!!!...and the commercials are priceless !!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:

Thanks. That is great stuff there.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Never gets old.

We won with class while dodging oranges!
Wavetime
Swell

Love the fact that Buddy D came right out and ate crow! He was honest and said how he was wrong. Have to respect that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great story behind the 1982 game. Vince Gibson was a good friend of the Greenbackers he wanted us to go into the practice locker room on campus and trash it as if it was broken into by LSU fans. So he gave our president (Sader’s dad at the time ) the key to the locker room. So John A and few other GB’s took to it. Painted “Go Tigers”, “LSU, Lsu, LSU”, “Drown the Wave” “F Tulane” and a bunch of other stuff. Old Vince used this and the tape of the 1981 game to motivate the 1982 team and boy did it work. He never told the players it was an inside job. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good story. Motivation was his strong suit.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Good story. Motivation was his strong suit.
Very true.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

December 1, 1973 was one of the greatest night's in Tulane athletics history. We finally put an end to our 24 year winless streak against the tiggers. Fortunate to be there and soak it in after having spent the year since the last game knowing this would be the year. Which was only cemented when the game was switched to Tulane Stadium because LSU had too many home games scheduled. A crazed Olivari leading the charge form the pep rally on. Darwin Willie's catch and so much more.

ROLLWAVEROLL!!!
Houma de Wave
Swell

Doug Bynum’s long run. Steve Foley/Terry Looney under center. Charlie Hall,Nathan Bell and other’s destroying LsU’s Offensive line.
What great times! What great great years...the ‘70’s had its benchmark moments.

This is why many of us seasoned fans shake our heads when others show satisfaction with the what has been for too long the status quo of Tulane athletics.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I was there with my mother in the south end zone, crying tears of happiness. She started it and I couldn't help myself.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I am so jealous of y'all not only for being there for that game, but for seeing games in old Tulane Stadium. I'd give my left testicle (might have to give both at this age!) to have seen a game in the old stadium, decrepit as it was in it's last days.

My bet memory was 48-7. It was sweet, but doesn't compare IMHO.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The 48-7 game was fun especially b/c of the late two point conversion. We gave them a taste of their own medicine which led them to calling the next years game their Revenge Bowl. We then beat them 31-28. All great memories.
Dave breslin
Swell

Nothing sweeter than beating those guys! Getting my brother out of handcuffs after the 14-0 game for going after the other goal post after the first one was down—was a highlight!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:24 pm Nothing sweeter than beating those guys! Getting my brother out of handcuffs after the 14-0 game for going after the other goal post after the first one was down—was a highlight!!
Love it!
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:23 am December 1, 1973 was one of the greatest night's in Tulane athletics history. We finally put an end to our 24 year winless streak against the tiggers. Fortunate to be there and soak it in after having spent the year since the last game knowing this would be the year. Which was only cemented when the game was switched to Tulane Stadium because LSU had too many home games scheduled. A crazed Olivari leading the charge form the pep rally on. Darwin Willie's catch and so much more.

ROLLWAVEROLL!!!
Yep. My greatest sports moment for sure.
phpBB [video]
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:11 pm The 48-7 game was fun especially b/c of the late two point conversion. We gave them a taste of their own medicine which led them to calling the next years game their Revenge Bowl. We then beat them 31-28. All great memories.
Two point conversion? Don't you mean the fake field goal up 41-7?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Hard to believe it’s been 45 years, seems like yesterday. Life goes by way too fast.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:54 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:11 pm The 48-7 game was fun especially b/c of the late two point conversion. We gave them a taste of their own medicine which led them to calling the next years game their Revenge Bowl. We then beat them 31-28. All great memories.
Two point conversion? Don't you mean the fake field goal up 41-7?
Yeah . My bad. Loved it. After they went for two to beat us 62-0 a couple of times it was sweet revenge.
Wavetime
Swell

I miss those games so much. Those years were the bright spot in my Tulane fan days for sure.