Tulane embarrassed at Georgia State 70-59

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I guess that 15 point loss to Prairie View is no worse than 17 point loss by CSU to FSU. Yeah. Right.

We lost to them by 11 on a night we shot what, 24% from the field? And 1 of 15 (6%) from behind the arc? And turned it over what, 20+ times. Georgia State is a powerhouse, that's for sure. But the 15 point loss to Prairie View A&M is their albatross. Just as our 11 point loss to GSU on the heels of that game is ours.
Moving the goalposts. I didn’t say they were a powerhouse, I said there Is little basis for calling CSU a much better team or program.

And there isn’t. Maybe you were thinking this because CSU has a 70 RPI last year and GSU had a 106 RPI? Big difference there! By the way, ours was 270. But yeah, GSU is trash.

My guess is you didn’t know anything about Georgia State other than their loss to PVA&M, and that’s why you made that comment. In actuality their RPI and tournament profile over recent years compares well with the middling teams of the AAC.

Sometimes you make offhand assertions based on your perceptions or biases that you don’t backup. At the beginning of the season you said that 3-8 Arizona was a *much better* team than Tulane and they struggled against Grambling so we could lose to them. Well, we did thrash Grambling and it was never close. We had one common opponent with 7-5 Arizona this year btw, Houston. Ask Houston fans who gave them a better game.
All good points, and I can't disagree w/r/t GSU basketball. But I often do back up my biases and perceptions with facts. Fact is this GSU team lost by 15 to Prairie View A&M. I know exactly where our RPI was after last year's lost season at 6-22. I was hoping and thinking we took a step forward. That remains to be seen. And I also think you over stated CSU's loss to FSU while understating the GSU loss to Prairie View. There was a two point difference in the winning margin of both (fact). That might be some scrub hitting a shot in the waning seconds (conjecture). But one plays in the ACC, the other plays in the SWAC (fact). And the SWAC team is 2-4 on the year (fact)with losses of 20+ to UNLV, Oregon, and Utah, and a narrow defeat at the hands of UC-Santa Barbara (fact).

Changing to football, Arizona played a final 4 playoff team to OT in 2016 (fact). We didn't come close to beating anyone in the top 50 last year (fact). For that reason, and many others, I stated in week 1 of this season that Arizona has and had a better established program than Tulane (conjecture.) If it didn't play out that way, that doesn't mean it was a bad comparison. Using a cherry picked home game versus an in-conference (and division) opponent is just as poor logic as mine. Put the goalposts back where they belong! :lol:

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V