Tulane embarrassed at Georgia State 70-59

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

As a fan this type of game really deflates me.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:1-15 from 3 pt today. 6.7% Tough to win against anyone shooting like that.
We won’t beat Alcorn shooting that %.
We won’t shoot like that back at Devlin in a weeknight game. Throw this one out. “Show Me” was right, this was bad scheduling. This team’s head was never in this game.

The good thing is that much like this is a bad spot for us, we catch FSU in a weird spot for them, with the game in Tampa in an unfamiliar arena and them playing a team they’ll take for granted. So we could get this one back.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:1-15 from 3 pt today. 6.7% Tough to win against anyone shooting like that.
We won’t beat Alcorn shooting that %.
We won’t shoot like that back at Devlin in a weeknight game. Throw this one out. “Show Me” was right, this was bad scheduling. This team’s head was never in this game.

The good thing is that much like this is a bad spot for us, we catch FSU in a weird spot for them, with the game in Tampa in an unfamiliar arena and them playing a team they’ll take for granted. So we could get this one back.
Very bad scheduling. We came out flat and stayed flat the entire game. This loss sure didn’t help our 36 RPI. Also first time we didn’t cover the spread this year. Georgia St was very beatable today.
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

This is as much a by-product of poor offensive sets as it is poor shooting. So while we can conveniently chalk this one up to poor shooting or being flat, i'd caution that if we don't make adjustments to the way we attack zone defenses, we we will see similar results all season. Last year we were one of the worst shooting teams in all of college basketball. To start this year we've seen improved shooting but the jury is still out as to whether we've improved that much (from bottom 10% to top 10%) or if we just had a few guys get hot but will come back to earth. And when we do have a poor shooting night, our defense will never bail us out.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MD said in his post game that the turnovers killed us. Like 21or so. He said you can overcome a bad shooting day with low turnovers. Said 1/3 less and we win. Also said our passing and ball movement was too slow. He also said #2 killed us with three straight 3’s and he had a plan for that kid but somebody messed up. He wants to see the film. Disappointed in the loss.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
OUG wrote:Who could have predicted this might be a tough spot for us. But please, tell me again that they lost to Prairie View. I did take us moneyline in this game and am still hopeful. But Vegas was generally right in thinking this would be a test.
Only because we let it.
Exactly. Like I said this says more about us than them. We still don't know how to attack a zone and we still don't have an inside game. We had a long time to get ready for this game so there are no excuses. We still have glaring weaknesses in those areas and they will haunt us till they are addressed.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:As a fan this type of game really deflates me.
Absolutely defalaing. There goes the buzz that had started . Just adds to an already miserable weekend for our fans.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote:
This is as much a by-product of poor offensive sets as it is poor shooting. So while we can conveniently chalk this one up to poor shooting or being flat, i'd caution that if we don't make adjustments to the way we attack zone defenses, we we will see similar results all season. Last year we were one of the worst shooting teams in all of college basketball. To start this year we've seen improved shooting but the jury is still out as to whether we've improved that much (from bottom 10% to top 10%) or if we just had a few guys get hot but will come back to earth. And when we do have a poor shooting night, our defense will never bail us out.
Good analysis.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
Absolutely defalaing. There goes the buzz that had started . Just adds to an already miserable weekend for our fans.
No doubt
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Another troubling trend is the lack of assist from our PG's. Embo and Slater had 1 between them. I know we didn't shoot well but that happened a lot last year and it has been a constant again this year.
netshorty
Surge

Not a good day for AAC hoops:
0-6
Tulane double digit loss to Ga St. (Sun Belt)
Temple loss to Lasalle (A10)
Uconn 30+ pt loss to Arkansas (SEC)
UCF home loss to St John's (Big East)
ECU home loss to NC A&T (MEAC)
USF double digit home loss to E Michigan (MAC)
lurker123
Swell

Tulane obviously played poorly and disappointed its fans (and as noted above so did every other AAC team playing yesterday.)

So who has tickets for Wednesday and who is going? Just curious.
anEngineer
Riptide

lurker123 wrote:Tulane obviously played poorly and disappointed its fans (and as noted above so did every other AAC team playing yesterday.)

Agreed. Tulane played poorly, shot dreadfully and got beat on the road. It happens. It's hardly "embarrassing". Their shooting, especially 3-pointers, has been outstanding, but on Sunday, it was not. It's more of a wake up call for a team that was probably in need of a down-to-earth game. I will be happy to see them play Wednesday and expect them to play well.
Show Me
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:Tulane obviously played poorly and disappointed its fans (and as noted above so did every other AAC team playing yesterday.)

Have tickets not going. Not interested in seeing an 0-6 Alcorn St. beatdown in person. Will listen some to Todd G. Just not interested in that opponent. I’d maybe go if we were playing an 0-4 UNO.
Last edited by Show Me on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigschtick
Riptide

winwave wrote:

Exactly!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
GreenLantern
Riptide

Me. Have tickets. Will travel.

I believe (hope) this was a one-game aberration. I predicted six conference wins but it will take a better non-conf performance to keep me that optimistic.

Except for Sehic, the entire team contributed to this loss. Paul fouled out and had his worst game. Cam was 2-13 FG (15%) and 0-4 from 3-point land. Frazier was 4-12 FG and 0-2 from 3P area. Even if our two go-to guys have a 40% night we win handily.

Look for a 25 point winning margin against Alcorn. The game after that may be a bit more of a challenge.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
OUG wrote:Who could have predicted this might be a tough spot for us. But please, tell me again that they lost to Prairie View. I did take us moneyline in this game and am still hopeful. But Vegas was generally right in thinking this would be a test.
Only because we let it.
I was taking that into account when I warned this would be tough. We hadn’t yet played a road game, it was a noon start on a Sunday, they play zone and we were due for a bad shooting night, and they were coming home after an embarrassing loss. I said we would be dogs and we were. I said we could struggle in this game and we are. This was entirely predictable but everyone got googley-eyed over a 5-0 start against teams that weren’t as good (from a ratings perspective) as this team. Again, predictable we would lay an egg here. You’re going to have bad games during a season and this is one of them.

Let’s finish strong and make this a game.
Colorado State is MUCH better than Georgia State. They just had a very bad game against us. GSU stinks.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
swampnik
Surge

That GS Atlanta Gym cast a "hoodoo spell" on our guys as soon as they entered the day before and the final score reflected the shoot around practice the day before. Even Graf commented on the fact that the goals were hung in a certain way and the gym colors and lighting had already had a weird effect on the TU team at practice there Saturday.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
netshorty
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Cam was 2-13 FG (15%) and 0-4 from 3-point land. Frazier was 4-12 FG and 0-2 from 3P area. Even if our two go-to guys have a 40% night we win handily.
Cam + Frazier shooting 40% means going 10-25 from field instead of 6-25. Let's say 2 of the 4 extra buckets are 3-pointers. We still fall short much less win easily.
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
OUG wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Only because we let it.
I was taking that into account when I warned this would be tough. We hadn’t yet played a road game, it was a noon start on a Sunday, they play zone and we were due for a bad shooting night, and they were coming home after an embarrassing loss. I said we would be dogs and we were. I said we could struggle in this game and we are. This was entirely predictable but everyone got googley-eyed over a 5-0 start against teams that weren’t as good (from a ratings perspective) as this team. Again, predictable we would lay an egg here. You’re going to have bad games during a season and this is one of them.

Colorado State is MUCH better than Georgia State. They just had a very bad game against us. GSU stinks.
Based on what? Last year?

So far CSU is 3-3 (RPI: 218; expected RPI 187)
Blown out by Tulane
Blown out by FSU
Lost by 13 to New Mexico State
Beat Sacramento State by 11
Beat Winthrop by 4
Beat Northwestern State by 12

Georgia State is 3-2 (RPI 83; expected RPI 106)
Lost to Prarie View by 15
Lost to Ole Miss by 5
Won at Rice by 21
Beat Eastern Washington by 18
Beat Tulane by 11

I suppose you could say that CSU is the bigger name program, but Ga State won their conference in 2014 (NIT) and 2015 (NCAA) and went to the second round in 2015. They won 20 games last year and finished 2nd in the sunbelt. Colorado State did make the NIT 2 of the past 3 seasons. But honestly, I don’t think you can say they are the better program. Or the better team this year when we beat them by 27 and lost to GSU by 13.

Actually both of these programs have been substantially better than Tulane in recent years. I still have no idea why people thought the road game on Sunday afternoon would be a cakewalk. GSU is probably going to compete for another postseason appearance this year.
Ruski
Swell

OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
OUG wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Only because we let it.

Blown out by Tulane
Blown out by FSU
Beat Winthrop by 4

Lost to Ole Miss by 5
Won at Rice by 21
Beat Tulane by 11

I suppose you could say that CSU is the bigger name program, but Ga State won their conference in 2014 (NIT) and 2015 (NCAA) and went to the second round in 2015. They won 20 games last year and finished 2nd in the sunbelt. Colorado State did make the NIT 2 of the past 3 seasons. But honestly, I don’t think you can say they are the better program. Or the better team this year when we beat them by 27 and lost to GSU by 13.

Actually both of these programs have been substantially better than Tulane in recent years. I still have no idea why people thought the road game on Sunday afternoon would be a cakewalk. GSU is probably going to compete for another postseason appearance this year.
Didn't think the game would be a cakewalk but that if we are really as good as some people wanted to believe after CSU that it should have been a cakewalk. I didn't buy in after CSU and this game proved me right. Until we see some real inside play I won't buy in. We don't recruit good enough players to live and die by so much outside shooting.
OUG
Riptide

Ruski wrote:
OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
OUG wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Only because we let it.

Blown out by Tulane
Blown out by FSU
Beat Winthrop by 4

Lost to Ole Miss by 5
Won at Rice by 21
Beat Tulane by 11

Didn't think the game would be a cakewalk but that if we are really as good as some people wanted to believe after CSU that it should have been a cakewalk. I didn't buy in after CSU and this game proved me right. Until we see some real inside play I won't buy in. We don't recruit good enough players to live and die by so much outside shooting.
That’s fair. I also think college fans routinely underestimate how much harder it is to play a true road game out of conference, where you a) don’t know the team, b) don’t know the shooting backdrop, c) are altering what is normally a very regimented routine for college athletes. The 4.5 pt spread for the GSU game suggested that initial line maker rated Tulane and GSU were more or less equal teams (despite the PV A&M loss, which I’m guessing they just drew a line through), and then gave us the traditional 3.8ish points as a road team. I tend to value the home team even more in these scenarios — but again, the mistake a lot of fans make in basketball is thinking that just because the AAC is a better league than the Sun belt, that an average AAC team should beat a Sun Belt team on the road - and that isn’t how college basketball tends to work. You have to be a very good AAC team (WSU, Cincy, Etc) to assume that. We aren’t yet.

Like I said before though, I do think we catch FSU in a friendly spot for us.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I guess that 15 point loss to Prairie View is no worse than 17 point loss by CSU to FSU. Yeah. Right.

We lost to them by 11 on a night we shot what, 24% from the field? And 1 of 15 (6%) from behind the arc? And turned it over what, 20+ times. Georgia State is a powerhouse, that's for sure. But the 15 point loss to Prairie View A&M is their albatross. Just as our 11 point loss to GSU on the heels of that game is ours.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:I guess that 15 point loss to Prairie View is no worse than 17 point loss by CSU to FSU. Yeah. Right.

We lost to them by 11 on a night we shot what, 24% from the field? And 1 of 15 (6%) from behind the arc? And turned it over what, 20+ times. Georgia State is a powerhouse, that's for sure. But the 15 point loss to Prairie View A&M is their albatross. Just as our 11 point loss to GSU on the heels of that game is ours.
Moving the goalposts. I didn’t say they were a powerhouse, I said there Is little basis for calling CSU a much better team or program.

And there isn’t. Maybe you were thinking this because CSU has a 70 RPI last year and GSU had a 106 RPI? Big difference there! By the way, ours was 270. But yeah, GSU is trash.

My guess is you didn’t know anything about Georgia State other than their loss to PVA&M, and that’s why you made that comment. In actuality their RPI and tournament profile over recent years compares well with the middling teams of the AAC.

Sometimes you make offhand assertions based on your perceptions or biases that you don’t backup. At the beginning of the season you said that 3-8 Arizona was a *much better* team than Tulane and they struggled against Grambling so we could lose to them. Well, we did thrash Grambling and it was never close. We had one common opponent with 7-5 Arizona this year btw, Houston. Ask Houston fans who gave them a better game.
lurker123
Swell

Thanks for the replies. I'll be at the game tonight. I guess I was just surprised as were apparently a few others at use of term "embarrassed" for losing by 11 points to a team Vegas had favored by 4.5. None of us are sugar coating anything. It was ugly watching that game and disappointing. I guess we have adjective inflation now though describing it as "embarrassing" as we do with everything else in life and culture.

However the only time I've been embarrassed by Tulane basketball was when almost half the team illegally shaved points and caused the program to be suspended. That was shameful. I try to save the really harsh vocabulary for when it is merited. Just my opinion.