Final call

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

There is a stop action picture taken of the last play showing Banks’s elbow down short of the goal line and he had shifted ball from right to left as he was going down so I guess the call wasn’t as clear cut as it appeared. No real way to tell where ball is in relation to goal line as elbow touched down.
I still think the ref has to call TD there instead of short. He called it short based on elbow but that isn’t the deciding factor. It’s where ball is when elbow touched down.

dpm wave
Swell

Pretty clearly a touchdown to me

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/21556791
Jaxwave
Swell

I expect the conference to be completely transparent after reviewing this overnight and issue the following statement: “After a thorough review of the last call in the Tulane SMU game on Saturday, we have concluded that the game official had no idea of whether the Tulane player scored or not, and neither do we, but c’mon does anybody in the world of college football really care if Tulane gets screwed. Because they probably have the least interest of any team in the country, those kind of close calls against them should by now be expected by their fans.”

Now wouldn’t that be refreshing to see that kind of honesty.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote:There is a stop action picture taken of the last play showing Banks’s elbow down short of the goal line and he had shifted ball from right to left as he was going down so I guess the call wasn’t as clear cut as it appeared. No real way to tell where ball is in relation to goal line as elbow touched down.
I still think the ref has to call TD there instead of short. He called it short based on elbow but that isn’t the deciding factor. It’s where ball is when elbow touched down.
Show me the pic.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
msdos
Swell

dpm wave wrote:Pretty clearly a touchdown to me

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/21556791
The first slow-mo he looks down, the second slow-mo he looks in
Houma de Wave
Swell

There's no "elbow issue." He scored. The ball broke the plain. The review official needs to be terminated. The linesman (assuming he made the initial call) also needs to be terminated. Go back to your real jobs!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:There is a stop action picture taken of the last play showing Banks’s elbow down short of the goal line and he had shifted ball from right to left as he was going down so I guess the call wasn’t as clear cut as it appeared. No real way to tell where ball is in relation to goal line as elbow touched down.
Here’s the elbow but you can’t see if it’s down or not and the ball is still in his left hand. And you can’t see if it broke the plane from that angle.

I would like to see a better picture.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

His elbow is not down there. His elbow is up by his knee. That's right when their player flips him over. You can see on the video clearly that his elbow was not down.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

His elbow is not down at all.
Ball Sumrall!
Jaxwave
Swell

It may not be down but that's what the ref was fooled by. Even if it is down and ball in left arm, the length of the football would mean it was breaking the plane. A camera from the opposite view would have proved conclusive. In my opinion that ref wanted to be the story rather than let the teams be the story.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Do you think LSU or Bama gets this call? No way in hell. It’s a TD. We won’t get the respect we deserve until we prove otherwise. The team and coaches got hosed and the entire school and it’s fans got shorted as well. Embarrassing for a league that is trying to claim P6 status. Really pathetic. How come they overturned our fumble run for a TD early in the game but they can’t overturn this?
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

We fell victim to The Highland Park Screw Job
GreenLantern
Riptide

Famous sports nicknames:
Rumble in the Jungle
Thrilla in Manila
and now... The Phallus in Dallas
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

For those too young to remember:
Fifth Down Fran

Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I really don't think there's any doubt he was in. When he fell, he fell on top of the other player and rolled over him into the end zone. I don't think his elbow touched.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

His elbow did not touch. That's right when their player flipped him over the goal line.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:His elbow did not touch. That's right when their player flipped him over the goal line.
That's the way I see it as well. I wonder if Parker Waters or one of the other photogs at the game got a better shot?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
OUG
Riptide

https://twitter.com/cjglasscock14/statu ... 6283195392

He STILL looks in from this angle. The ball breaks the plane, right? Or am I seeing what I want to see?

Also, his helmet is blocking what the goal line official would have been looking at, so there is NO WAY that call on the field should have been no TD.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He definitely touched the ground.
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Image
The ball is across the plane there. Use his helmet as your reference point. Ball is level with the helmet, and his helmet his overlapping the goal line.

That’s a TD.
Last edited by OUG on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51WaveBG
High Tide

:( :( :( What else can you expect from Daffy Duck football officials from a Mickey Mouse Conference? TU needs to make sure that NONE of these AAC officials ever be assigned to a TU game in the future, especially the replay official.
RobertM320
Green Wave

He's in.
https://twitter.com/RFMoldaner/status/9 ... 4953193472
RobertM320
Green Wave

Closer
https://twitter.com/RFMoldaner/status/9 ... 7221747713
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
tpstulane wrote: Image
The ball is across the plane there. Use his helmet as your reference point. Ball is level with the helmet, and his helmet his overlapping the goal line.

That’s a TD.
Could be but I can see them not being able to overturn the original call.
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:He's in.
https://twitter.com/RFMoldaner/status/9 ... 4953193472
Agreed. Is you look at all the reference points in the photo, he is in. There is no way the ball doesn’t break the plane there. There is also NO WAY the linesman can even see the ball so as to call him out on the field! His helmet is in the way of the linseman’s view. Given the clock situation, you HAVE to call a TD on the field there, and then you can do a run-off if the review proves he wasn’t. (Which it did not, because he was in).