SMU Gameday Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
greenphantom
Swell

It was a crap call by the refs but bad play call by us. Needed to be a quick slant or a jump pass to Jones. Can’t risk a rollout with no timeouts.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good history recap by Ken Trahan
http://crescentcitysports.com/tulane-cl ... continues/
Winning remains elusive for Tulane football. This season, Tulane lost by two points at Navy, by one point to Cincinnati and by three at SMU. There is a pattern. This team is close. History could repeat itself.
Fritz and his program are close to winning as early as next year, with a few more good players and few breaks. It is about time for both to end the suffering.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
uptownprof
Ripple

Any chance of appeal here? Clearly any call in the middle of the game is not appeal able after the game since the call can influence how game is played. But last call can be reviewed by Aresco and score reversed in principle no? I know I know not gonna happen but is possible in principle is all I am saying.
uptownprof
Ripple

Even SMU can support the appeal they go bowling regardless will increase league revenue
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

uptownprof wrote:Any chance of appeal here? Clearly any call in the middle of the game is not appeal able after the game since the call can influence how game is played. But last call can be reviewed by Aresco and score reversed in principle no? I know I know not gonna happen but is possible in principle is all I am saying.
Doubt it. Supposed they did give us a TD they’d have to go out and play the last 3 seconds that ran off the clock at that point to finish the game.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

It was a horrible call and we were robbed. That being said, we missed on a wide open slant for a TD, we had a 14 yard loss on a 4th and short in the previous drive. We played a great game and gave a valiant effort, but we had opportunities to seal the deal and we didn't capitalize on them. That will be one of the stories of this season. There was improvement when you look at the season as a whole, I do not believe Scelfo, Toledo, or CJ would've have this team 5-6 looking for a bowl game. I think there were several games we outperformed our talent level and 2 games we underperformed it. I love a lot of the things Fritz does, I can't say I understand the playcalling sometimes and I can't say I've been overly impressed with his in game decision making over the last 2 seasons. I understand his room for error is essentially zero and that exacerbates mistakes. I would consider the season a success if looking at it from a unbiased viewpoint. However, as a Tulane fan I'm just no longer interested in nor have much patience for moral victories even though I think we are heading in a better direction. I just want to see us make the plays or play we need to. 5-7 is what the general consensus was among our fans before the season and that's what we finished. We performed about how we thought we would which isn't cause for concern and isn't cause for excitement. That was one of the most abhorrent officiating reviews I have ever witnessed and we should be heading to a bowl game, but we aren't.
Jaxwave
Swell

I find myself pretty much in agreement with most of your posts, Sader, especially this one, even though you are a 'Sader!
greenphantom
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:I find myself pretty much in agreement with most of your posts, Sader, especially this one, even though you are a 'Sader!
I too agree with Sader’s post. He hit the nail on the head on all points.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:It was a horrible call and we were robbed. That being said, we missed on a wide open slant for a TD, we had a 14 yard loss on a 4th and short in the previous drive. We played a great game and gave a valiant effort, but we had opportunities to seal the deal and we didn't capitalize on them. That will be one of the stories of this season. There was improvement when you look at the season as a whole, I do not believe Scelfo, Toledo, or CJ would've have this team 5-6 looking for a bowl game. I think there were several games we outperformed our talent level and 2 games we underperformed it. I love a lot of the things Fritz does, I can't say I understand the playcalling sometimes and I can't say I've been overly impressed with his in game decision making over the last 2 seasons. I understand his room for error is essentially zero and that exacerbates mistakes. I would consider the season a success if looking at it from a unbiased viewpoint. However, as a Tulane fan I'm just no longer interested in nor have much patience for moral victories even though I think we are heading in a better direction. I just want to see us make the plays or play we need to. 5-7 is what the general consensus was among our fans before the season and that's what we finished. We performed about how we thought we would which isn't cause for concern and isn't cause for excitement. That was one of the most abhorrent officiating reviews I have ever witnessed and we should be heading to a bowl game, but we aren't.
Very good summary of the season, and where we are at this point. I am interested in how Dannen and the administration respond to this officiating disaster. File a protest with the league office, ask SMU to reverse the game, investigate who the two idiot officials were and seek to ensure they can’t do something like this again. I don’t expect anything to change, but Tulane should show enough interest and frustration by making several people very uncomfortable about what happened in Dallas.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:
Very good summary of the season, and where we are at this point. I am interested in how Dannen and the administration respond to this officiating disaster. File a protest with the league office, ask SMU to reverse the game, investigate who the two idiot officials were and seek to ensure they can’t do something like this again. I don’t expect anything to change, but Tulane should show enough interest and frustration by making several people very uncomfortable about what happened in Dallas.
I agree with you, HoustonWave. Its important that we let the league and the members know this isn't the old pushover Tulane that you can't just bully and get away with. It also would send a strong message that winning matters. If nothing else, maybe they're a bit nicer to us when working out conference scheduling next year. Making us play on the road on a short week against an opponent who's actually got an extra day (Mem played on Thurs the prev week) doesn't need to happen, but it does because of the mindset "its only Tulane, they don't care."
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
I agree with you, HoustonWave. Its important that we let the league and the members know this isn't the old pushover Tulane that you can't just bully and get away with. It also would send a strong message that winning matters. If nothing else, maybe they're a bit nicer to us when working out conference scheduling next year. Making us play on the road on a short week against an opponent who's actually got an extra day (Mem played on Thurs the prev week) doesn't need to happen, but it does because of the mindset "its only Tulane, they don't care."
If Dannen and the administration exhibit a “don’t care” attitude, I can assure you all that I will exhibit a similar “ don’t care” atttude next time they inevitably come to me with their palms outstretched.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
If Dannen and the administration exhibit a “don’t care” attitude, I can assure you all that I will exhibit a similar “ don’t care” atttude next time they inevitably come to me with their palms outstretched.
Excellent point. You go down fighting. You think Perry Clark, Rick Jones or Tommy Bowden doesn’t get thrown out after a call like that to end the game. Dannen better raise hell on Monday morning and fight for those coaches and kids. I don’t buy taking the “high road” BS. Like someone else said do you think LSU or Alabama gets this treatment? Fight or else they know we are a pushover and don’t really care. This call cost Tulane at least $500,000. So don’t expect your fan base to shell out money if you’re not going to at least make an issue of it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Excellent point. You go down fighting. You think Perry Clark, Rick Jones or Tommy Bowden doesn’t get thrown out after a call like that to end the game. Dannen better raise hell on Monday morning and fight for those coaches and kids. I don’t buy taking the “high road” BS. Like someone else said do you think LSU or Alabama gets this treatment? Fight or else they know we are a pushover and don’t really care. This call cost Tulane at least $500,000. So don’t expect your fan base to shell out money if you’re not going to at least make an issue of it.
+1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

The most frustrating part of the review for me is that they took a fumble return td from us earlier where they overturned the call on the field and the ball was clearly moving when his knee hit the ground. At the very least it wasn't indisputable. They seem to use the term indisputable at their own discretion and when they feel like applying it. I can't help but believe if they review that TD in any quarter but the last or even any time outside 1 minute it goes the other way. I have yet to see such an obviously overturn on a review go the wrong way. Both announcers thought it was obvious, both sidelines thought it was obvious, the entire viewing audience thought it was obvious, and worst of all every LSU fan I've talked to and who posts on tigerdroppings thought it was obvious. If this is to be a serious conference some form of serious discipline needs to be handed down.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

The last box score recap for the season: (We were robbed by a bunch of zebras... I've stewed on this over the whole weekend and woke up on Monday with the same belief, we were robbed)

Total Yards Gained:
TU: 485
SMU: 478

Time of Possession:
TU: 29:46
SMU: 30:14

Total 1st downs:
TU: 27
SMU: 24

3rd down efficiency:
TU: 7/13
SMU: 6/11

Passing Yards:
TU: 314 yards (Banks 18/31 completitions, 2 tds, 0 ints)
SMU: 375 yards (24/33 completions, 4 tds, 2 int)

Rushing Yards:
TU: 43 rushes for 171 yards (Bradwell 9 attempts for 80 yards 2 tds, Banks 19 for 48 yards, Hilliard 13 for 42 yards 1 td)
SMU: 33 rushes for 103 yards

Receiving Yards:
TU: Mooney 6 for 168 yards, 2 tds, Encalade 7 for 111 yards, Robertson 3 for 24 yards)
SMU: Quinn 6 for 139 yards 2 tds, Sutton 6 for 107 yards, Proche 3 for 56 yards 1 td)

Penalties:
TU: 5 for 40 yards
SMU: 5 for 20 yards

Turnovers:
TU: 1
SMU: 3

Y'all know the story, we were hosed by refs. We should be celebrating a bowl birth, but thanks to a bunch of zebras we are looking back at a season of what could have been. I am proud of our boys for fighting to the very end. As Fritz said in his presser, give him faith and stick with Tulane, we WILL be back...
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:This team, this coaching staff has failed over and over again to put a team away in the fourth quarter when they had the chance. Going back to last season when Tulane blew a two score fourth quarter lead to SMU, how many times have they blown the lead in the fourth quarter.
Coming into the SMU game, Fritz was 7-1 at Tulane when leading at halftime.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:The most frustrating part of the review for me is that they took a fumble return td from us earlier where they overturned the call on the field and the ball was clearly moving when his knee hit the ground. At the very least it wasn't indisputable. They seem to use the term indisputable at their own discretion and when they feel like applying it. I can't help but believe if they review that TD in any quarter but the last or even any time outside 1 minute it goes the other way. I have yet to see such an obviously overturn on a review go the wrong way. Both announcers thought it was obvious, both sidelines thought it was obvious, the entire viewing audience thought it was obvious, and worst of all every LSU fan I've talked to and who posts on tigerdroppings thought it was obvious. If this is to be a serious conference some form of serious discipline needs to be handed down.
I agree 100% with your previous post about the final play and where the program stands. But having watched the fumble recovery return for a TD, I was convinced beyond a doubt that call was going to be rightly reversed. He had the ball when his knee hit the ground, it didn't start moving until his elbows hit the ground. They got the last call wrong, but the fumble they got right.

Dannen may know that a protest doesn't go anywhere, but we have to go through the motions and raise hell over the officials taking our bowl away from us.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:Do you think CJ or Toledo would have this team in the same position as Fritz has? You are the new Jonathan.....
Yes, and we would have better players coming in than we have currently committed.
This class is currently the highest rated class since they went to the rating system (for whatever that's worth.) CJ recruited a bunch of kids that couldn't stay in school and some over-rated ones. He was a WR coach in the pros, whose best WR recruit, Teddy Veal, will be known for scoring the first rushing TD in Yulman history. Toledo was cruising towards retirement and enjoyed every food and drink joint in town. Fritz is better than both, by far.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Not sure where this should be posted so I'll post it on this thread. SMU AAC 7-5 is playing La Tech a 6-6 CUSA team in the Frisco Bowl. The inaugural game of the The Frisco bowl will be played in a Soccer stadium north of Dallas with a seating capacity of 20,500. I'm advised that a large portion of one of the endzones is under-construction for a Soccer Hall of Fame museum which will reduce seating for the bowl to the 16K range.

I was surprised (and also for karma purposes happy) to see SMU playing the 8th best CUSA team considering their fans were razzing me on twitter after the Tulane/SMU game that they had already beaten the best of CUSA - North Texas and the top of the Sun Belt - Arkansas State and therefore would face a quality opponent in a bowl. I guess SMU's main benefit is that they'll get the extra practice time and their players will get the opportunity to play in a bowl, but on the surface this appears to be big let down for SMU. They should be at least 17 point favorites over LA Tech. For the sanctity of the AAC, I hope they destroy La Tech, but for karma purposes, I'd love to see Tech whip their ass.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wavetrader wrote:For the sanctity of the AAC, I hope they destroy La Tech, but for karma purposes, I'd love to see Tech whip their ass.
Agreed. But for now, we really need to win all our bowl games against G4 schools. We just have to.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson