SMU Gameday Thread

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5616
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby DfromCT » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:40 pm

We need a whole lot more D in the second half than we showed in the first half. We're not going to win a shoot out with SMU.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby Wave QB » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:40 pm

We get the ball to start the 3rd. We have to control the clock and score. Keep the defense off the field. We have a chance if we do this.



User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby GreenLantern » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Wave QB wrote:We get the ball to start the 3rd. We have to control the clock and score. Keep the defense off the field. We have a chance if we do this.


I agree with you that we have to have a balanced attack. We don't have the receiving firepower to have a gunfight with SMU. Have productive drives and make points slowly!



User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Surge
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby GreenPuddleSplash » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:44 pm

GreenLantern wrote:
Wave QB wrote:We get the ball to start the 3rd. We have to control the clock and score. Keep the defense off the field. We have a chance if we do this.


I agree with you that we have to have a balanced attack. We don't have the receiving firepower to have a gunfight with SMU. Have productive drives and make points slowly!


So you’re asking for more dives up the middle eh? :)



Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby Wave QB » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:45 pm

DfromCT wrote: We're not going to win a shoot out with SMU.


Bingo.



User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby RobertM320 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:45 pm

oliveandblue wrote:SMU gonna win this 63-52. Their defense is so bad it's keeping us in the game.


This is exactly why they're only 6-5 with the offense they have. Their defense is so bad they keep everyone they play in the game.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

greenie78
High Tide
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby greenie78 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:46 pm

DfromCT wrote:We need a whole lot more D in the second half than we showed in the first half. We're not going to win a shoot out with SMU.


The biggest key is tackling. If the defense tackles well, their offense can be slowed down.



Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby Wave QB » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:46 pm

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
Wave QB wrote:We get the ball to start the 3rd. We have to control the clock and score. Keep the defense off the field. We have a chance if we do this.


I agree with you that we have to have a balanced attack. We don't have the receiving firepower to have a gunfight with SMU. Have productive drives and make points slowly!


So you’re asking for more dives up the middle eh? :)


I am, but only on 2nd and 1 or 1st and 5. Lol.



User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby RobertM320 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:53 pm

GreenLantern wrote:
Wave QB wrote:We get the ball to start the 3rd. We have to control the clock and score. Keep the defense off the field. We have a chance if we do this.


I agree with you that we have to have a balanced attack. We don't have the receiving firepower to have a gunfight with SMU. Have productive drives and make points slowly!


Do you really need receiving "firepower" as wide open as our receivers have been? We've been running free in their secondary all day.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

Pepper
Surge
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby Pepper » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Need a better pass rush if we are only going to rush 4. And we might want to play a little more zone as well.


"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11204
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby winwave » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:Wrong. All we'd do the is go 3 and out and lose by a ton. That's what got us in this situation.


Wrong. If you try to slugger with a slugger and you don't have the same amount of power, you will get knocked out! We have to find a way to regain the lead, and then control the clock. We can't and won't win a shootout. We don't have the depth chart our weapons to do it. You are begging for a 70-28 blowout against this SMU offensive machine. Take a page out of smash mouth coaching books from Bear Bryant, Eddie Robinson, Pop Warner or even Nick Saban if you think fighting fire with fire works.


Absolutely wrong. This isn't a slug fest. It;' a score fest. Our all run offense leads to a lot of misery. Teams have it figured out for the most part. Just score any way we can. We aren't good enough to control the clock.


Find A Way!

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11204
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby winwave » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Wave QB wrote:We could go into the half down by 6 if we eat up the clock and score another TD. You must use the clock against an explosive offensive like this.


Just score baby.


Find A Way!

Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby Wave QB » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Banks is playing for victory today. I hope this kid can win this.



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11204
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby winwave » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Let him play his game and he will. He has declared himself a pass first QB.


Find A Way!

oliveandblue
High Tide
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:02 pm
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby oliveandblue » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:06 pm

This SMU defense is so freaking bad is funny.



Houma de Wave
Swell
Posts: 1225
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:53 pm
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby Houma de Wave » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:07 pm

Exactly what we needed to do!



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11204
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby winwave » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Trust in the pass.


Find A Way!

greenphantom
Swell
Posts: 1543
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:38 pm
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby greenphantom » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Mooney with another great play and we take the lead



Houma de Wave
Swell
Posts: 1225
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:53 pm
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby Houma de Wave » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:09 pm

That TD drivewas aided by the vaunted QB draw for the first down.



User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby RobertM320 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:09 pm

6-10 on third down today so far. And its not like they've all been short yardage ones, either.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby GreenLantern » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Great productive, time-consuming drive. Enough running game to keep them honest.

What's up with Hilliard?



User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6364
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby RobertM320 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Houma de Wave wrote:That TD drivewas aided by the vaunted QB draw for the first down.


The QB draw worked because SMU dropped back both their LBs into coverage looking for the quick slant. Left the middle wide open. Banks read it and took advantage.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Surge
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby GreenPuddleSplash » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Green wave football! Fumble!!



User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Surge
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby GreenPuddleSplash » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:12 pm

Hilliard td! 35-27!!!



Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: SMU Gameday Thread

Postby Wave QB » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:12 pm

winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:Wrong. All we'd do the is go 3 and out and lose by a ton. That's what got us in this situation.


Wrong. If you try to slugger with a slugger and you don't have the same amount of power, you will get knocked out! We have to find a way to regain the lead, and then control the clock. We can't and won't win a shootout. We don't have the depth chart our weapons to do it. You are begging for a 70-28 blowout against this SMU offensive machine. Take a page out of smash mouth coaching books from Bear Bryant, Eddie Robinson, Pop Warner or even Nick Saban if you think fighting fire with fire works.


Absolutely wrong. This isn't a slug fest. It;' a score fest. Our all run offense leads to a lot of misery. Teams have it figured out for the most part. Just score any way we can. We aren't good enough to control the clock.


Absolutely wrong! Players and coaches know better than that. We aren't good enough to get into a "score fest" with a team that is known for scoring like crazy. And we are good enough to control the clock. We have proven this already. We can't trade blow for blow with this team. Your systems will set us up for a 35-60 loss. SMU's defense isn't good enough to stop us from controlling the clock. We can run and pass on these guys.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests