Wonder What They're Saying Now

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
pansdad
Ripple

I was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was also at Ladd Memorial Statium when the Wave defeated Alabama in 1949, our last SEC Championship year. I hope that Rufus Harris does no suffer in Hell, but at least he belongs in Purgatory. And Hindman Wall for getting us out of the SEC. How many times can a University shoot itself in the HEART?

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

pansdad wrote:I was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was also at Ladd Memorial Statium when the Wave defeated Alabama in 1949, our last SEC Championship year. I hope that Rufus Harris does no suffer in Hell, but at least he belongs in Purgatory. And Hindman Wall for getting us out of the SEC. How many times can a University shoot itself in the HEART?
Wall did not get Tulane out of the SEC...that was Rix Yard
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Tps, that video is incredible. My father was at that game. One of the greatest nights of his life he always said. The priest for his funeral this past February talked about that game in his homily . The priest was there as a tiger fan. He said he still hasn't gotten over it. What a time to be alive. That is why my dad died a fan. 1979 was my first taste. and what about the dude getting destroyed right next to ellender after the game ended . Holy sh*t!!
I heard that similar story told by a lot of old timers. Yes on that punch. I know the guy that helped the kid that got decked. He was his friend. I think you meant Charlie Mac not Ellender.
I was there North End Zone....several LSU fans remarked, considering the "Freshman" team beat the LSU freshman the nite before, the attitude at Tulane has changed, most of the LSU people who were around me were very gracious and complimentary..they noted, "it is a rivalry again..and it is a good thing"

I was at that freshman game with my family. That was a good feeling too.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

Hypothetical: If we score 5 more points against Navy/Cincy and take care of FIU, with only losses to OU/USF/Memphis, are we included in the top 25?

I know it's fairly pointless but I would assume hell yes, but there's USF outside the CFB top 25...
RobertM320
Green Wave

8-3, probably not, especially with how bad the losses to OU and Memphis were. We need to get to the point that when we do lose any game, its not a blowout.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:8-3, probably not, especially with how bad the losses to OU and Memphis were. We need to get to the point that when we do lose any game, its not a blowout.

Hell just to have the w from Cincy and a crack at win 7 this week and #8 for a bowl. one lousey chip shot field goal ..
RobertM320
Green Wave

galvezwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:8-3, probably not, especially with how bad the losses to OU and Memphis were. We need to get to the point that when we do lose any game, its not a blowout.

Hell just to have the w from Cincy and a crack at win 7 this week and #8 for a bowl. one lousey chip shot field goal ..
True. He makes that kick, we're 6-5, with a chance to finish 8-5. More than likely any bowl we'd go to at 6-6 or 7-5 will be against someone we're capable of matching up against.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:

True. He makes that kick, we're 6-5, with a chance to finish 8-5. More than likely any bowl we'd go to at 6-6 or 7-5 will be against someone we're capable of matching up against.

And our first undefeated November in 19 years. Chance to End season on 5 game win streak. 1 field goal. How different would the feeling be?
Dave breslin
Swell

Thanks Tim for that memorable video. Outside of my brother getting handcuffed for trying to take down the second field goal—it was a GREAT night. Actually, getting handcuffed just added to the greatness!!! Now—beat those ponies!
OUG
Riptide

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Ruski wrote:Can we just have a reasonable reaction? Somewhere in between doom and gloom and Tulane could compete in SEC?

For the first time in the 8 years I've been a fan fb and bball have some consistency and vision. I'm enjoying it!
I have you beat by a little over a year and a half... I guess we're the young guys compared to the devout posters on here.... but hey, at least we're going to be carrying the torch for the faithful in the years to come. :mrgreen:
I’ve got 18 years in, and they’ve been pretty bare. I just missed the undefeated season (I applied that year, it was my senior year of HS — I thought it would be nice to have a decent football team to root for in addition to all the other advantages TU offered. Haha). Aside from twin CWS in baseball, it’s been a rough time. Two bowls in football and zero NCAA appearances.

What was the common thread?

Rick Dickson. Scott Cowen. (I blame the former more than the latter but it is close)

I do think we are in the best conference position we have been in since the late-90’s, and have made commitments financially and are starting to get the little things right. But we haven’t turned any corners yet.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote:Thanks Tim for that memorable video. Outside of my brother getting handcuffed for trying to take down the second field goal—it was a GREAT night. Actually, getting handcuffed just added to the greatness!!! Now—beat those ponies!
Great story! That sounds like Pete!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Tps, that video is incredible. My father was at that game. One of the greatest nights of his life he always said. The priest for his funeral this past February talked about that game in his homily . The priest was there as a tiger fan. He said he still hasn't gotten over it. What a time to be alive. That is why my dad died a fan. 1979 was my first taste. and what about the dude getting destroyed right next to ellender after the game ended . Holy sh*t!!
I heard that similar story told by a lot of old timers. Yes on that punch. I know the guy that helped the kid that got decked. He was his friend. I think you meant Charlie Mac not Ellender.
I was there North End Zone....several LSU fans remarked, considering the "Freshman" team beat the LSU freshman the nite before, the attitude at Tulane has changed, most of the LSU people who were around me were very gracious and complimentary..they noted, "it is a rivalry again..and it is a good thing"
I was not there in '73, but was in the Superdome for the 48-7 game (Section 614 if I recall correctly). I was also in Baton Rouge the following season when we beat Orange Bowl bound LSU again. But my best moment as a Tulane fan was 1998 and the undefeated season. My most memorable moment was Michael Jordan picking up a loose ball near mid court with his back to the basket and a second on the game clock. Jordan spun and fired a long shot, knocking the bottom out of the basket to send the UNC vs. Tulane game, opening the 82-83 season into overtime. Tulane lost that game in either triple or quadruple overtime. Ralph Davis, if memory serves, threw the inbounds pass. We listened to the game on the radio, Don Crockett on the call. (Again, if memory serves me, but Golfnut can verify if the old noggin is accurate.)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Houma de Wave
Swell

In ‘72, I was walking down the end zone steps to run on the field after Russell Huber’s TD and David Falgoust’s PAT and relish the 10-9 victory over LSU. Alas, it was not to be.

I was there for the incredible, yet expected end of the 25-year drought the year after. There was no way THEY were going to beat us at our own place again with the talent we had. The next year, 1974, was to be our big year where we made big noise in the polls. 5-0 and the injury occurs to Steve Foley. We struggle to a 5-6 Finish with a 24-22 close loss to the dreaded Tigers.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The 74 game was shown on closed circuit at the Rivergate. In the first half LSU was ahead and some lsu asswipe got up and yelled what's the matter green wave fans I can't hear you. In the second half we started coming back and they STFU. I then called them out . Shame we didn't get that one too. Could have been 3 years in a row if we got that last yard in 72.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

nm
God Bless Everyone!
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
Ruski wrote: 8 years I've been a fan
Rookie, you have no idea what real suffering is. :D

Hahahaha I thought the same thing. Went to Tulane stadium in a stroller and the oldest season I can actually remember is 1979. I was 8. My god Im getting old.
You think you're old, my senior year was 79-80. My earliest memories were listening to the radio in the days of Bankston and Duhon when I was 8 or so, so late 60s. Going on 50 years I guess.
I remember having to listen to a 62-0 a$$ whipping on the radio while my aunts and uncles (LSwho fans) cheered every touchdown. My dad the only Tulane fan in the family. I have only suffered through 68 years and sat in the third row from the top of Tulane Stadium on that memorable night in ‘73 and yes I did rub it in the faces of my aunts and uncles
Was there as well. My mom and I sat in the upper deck up against the Press Box. My greatest Tulane memory for sure. My dad had tears in his eyes when he finally finished the post game interviews and met us in the parking lot. What a night! At the 4:06 min mark in that video my dad (mustache guy) gives congrats to Coach Ellender. Pretty cool I spotted him.
phpBB [video]
The LSU fans showed up at Tulane Stadium wearing large purple & gold buttons showing simply the number "25," for what they hoped 1973 would be 25 years without a Tulane victory.

44 years later I still remember being on the field after the game and looking up at the scoreboard showing Tulane 14, LSU O. A great memory. :)
ajcalhoun
Swell

I was there with my Mom in the south end zone but we didn't go on the field afterward.
God Bless Everyone!
Bigschtick
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:It was a great weekend for Tulane: Women’s Hoops beat Vanderbilt, the Men won two in Jamaica, Football upset Houston, but nobody has turned any corner. It’s a gradual process and Tulane appears heading in the right direction, but no corners have been turned yet.

Beat SMU, then let’s talk.

My sentiment exactly. Reason for some optimism but thats it. In terms of suffering, I have been a fan since 1964 when I entered Tulane as a freshman!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
beantownwave
Ripple

Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

Hahahaha I thought the same thing. Went to Tulane stadium in a stroller and the oldest season I can actually remember is 1979. I was 8. My god Im getting old.
You think you're old, my senior year was 79-80. My earliest memories were listening to the radio in the days of Bankston and Duhon when I was 8 or so, so late 60s. Going on 50 years I guess.
I remember having to listen to a 62-0 a$$ whipping on the radio while my aunts and uncles (LSwho fans) cheered every touchdown. My dad the only Tulane fan in the family. I have only suffered through 68 years and sat in the third row from the top of Tulane Stadium on that memorable night in ‘73 and yes I did rub it in the faces of my aunts and uncles
Was there as well. My mom and I sat in the upper deck up against the Press Box. My greatest Tulane memory for sure. My dad had tears in his eyes when he finally finished the post game interviews and met us in the parking lot. What a night! At the 4:06 min mark in that video my dad (mustache guy) gives congrats to Coach Ellender. Pretty cool I spotted him.
phpBB [video]
The LSU fans showed up at Tulane Stadium wearing large purple & gold buttons showing simply the number "25," for what they hoped 1973 would be 25 years without a Tulane victory.

44 years later I still remember being on the field after the game and looking up at the scoreboard showing Tulane 14, LSU O. A great memory. :)

Good lord some poor kid got LIT UP at the 3:20 mark.
Jaxwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

phpBB [video]
i

Your dad looks very familiar. Oh I know him as the sportswriter. Great TP guy. I am in the same shot at the 4:06 mark in the plaid coat running in on the far left. My memory was bad because I could have sworn I kissed Coach Ellender on his bald head and actually told that story ever since. Not going to let this evidence deter me in the future. My story will not change.
A little before that Jeff Winchester, a great friend, fraternity brother (QB of our championship team) in a white sweater and plaid pants congratulated Coach and tried to pick him up. Bittersweet memory as Jeff passed away far too young from brain cancer in 2004.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Your dad looks very familiar. Oh I know him as the sportswriter. Great TP guy. I am in the same shot at the 4:06 mark in the plaid coat running in on the far left. My memory was bad because I could have sworn I kissed Coach Ellender on his bald head and actually told that story ever since. Not going to let this evidence deter me in the future. My story will not change.
A little before that Jeff Winchester, a great friend, fraternity brother (QB of our championship team) in a white sweater and plaid pants congratulated Coach and tried to pick him up. Bittersweet memory as Jeff passed away far too young from brain cancer in 2004.
Yes on my dad. Great story. Sorry to hear Jeff passed away so early. Thanks for sharing.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Well, at least y'all have some great memories and great experiences with Tulane football (even though it's been a couple + decades..) unlike Ruski and I who so far have experienced pain and misery with a terrible bowl experience against UL LA LA.... In Fritz I trust to give us some new and joyful experiences, especially during bowl season. Happy early Thanksgiving to my TU family and ROLL DAMN WAVE!
galvezwave
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Well, at least y'all have some great memories and great experiences with Tulane football (even though it's been a couple + decades..) unlike Ruski and I who so far have experienced pain and misery with a terrible bowl experience against UL LA LA.... In Fritz I trust to give us some new and joyful experiences, especially during bowl season. Happy early Thanksgiving to my TU family and ROLL DAMN WAVE!
Amen to that. Happy thanksgiving! And roll wave !
Jaxwave
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Well, at least y'all have some great memories and great experiences with Tulane football (even though it's been a couple + decades..) unlike Ruski and I who so far have experienced pain and misery with a terrible bowl experience against UL LA LA.... In Fritz I trust to give us some new and joyful experiences, especially during bowl season. Happy early Thanksgiving to my TU family and ROLL DAMN WAVE!
Puddle, this is why it's so hard for us old fans to get excited about Tulane football now. We remember when we competed with LSU, Ole Miss, Stanford, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Stanford and the like. Attendance was in the mid 30s to 40,000 for big games. A half filled Yulman against the teams we play now just doesn't measure up.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I too was there on December 1, 1-9-7-3, mid field just under the over hang. I’ve been to World Series 7th games, Superbowls, and NCAA Final Four championship games, and none of them compared to that night in Tulane Stadium—not even close. I still have my 45 rpm record of Ballad Of The Green Wave. “after all, look at the rankings, and the experts all agreed, but what they didn’t count on were mighty men in green. Roll Wave Roll show’em where it’s at, show your not afraid of those Bayou pussycats.” Never to be forgotten.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana