SMU Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The game will be at 11 on CBSSN again.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Making plans to attend the SMU game in Dallas on Saturday. I was surprised this morning to see only 12 diehard Tulane fans have signed up for the pre-game tailgate (admittedly an 8am tailgate loses some attractiveness) via the Tulane Alumni Association. We've generally had over 200 in prior years at the Houston tailgates and we had over 200 in Annapolis for the Navy game this year. I hope the numbers increase for this game. Let's cheer this team onto victory on Saturday.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
GreenLantern
Riptide

Oops... I posted this on the wrong thread. I'm unable to delete it after another post was made. Sorry. Here it is again:

Here's what they're saying now on the SMU forum:
We barely beat them at their place last year and they are MUCH better this year.
No reason whatsoever to be confident about the Tulane game. If we really had a home field advantage I would feel better but game atmosphere will be like a scrimmage and Tulane will be highly motivated
If i were malone (defensive coordinator) I’d offer free whataburger to whoever picks a fight on d.
The only thing that’s positive is our offense can make plays generally (exclude UCF game) and Tulane (based on past performance) is like us a bad road team
I am thinking we spit the bit and Tulane whops us by 10+. Their QB has some talent and can run & pass. Ugh.
There's no reason for any SMU person to reschedule their Thanksgiving plans for this game. I will be there with the other 4999.
I'm confident our defense will have no clue what to do. We'll win if we score 50 and the Tulane offense self destructs.
swampnik
Surge

Lovin those comments. Where can I get my free whataburger?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Eaglewave
Swell

I want to win this game badly! I want to see us in a Bowl Game once again. Say what you want about the NOLA Bowl in the CJ era, the game was exciting.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We will have to score over 30 points and play a clean game to win. SMU will put points on the board and if they don't turn it over, 30 might not be enough. Our D played great against Houston. Can the do it on the road?

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern
Riptide

Graff was interviewed on 990 AM earlier today and he made a couple of very interesting comments. He remarked that JBanks has just begun to get healthy again from the injury he suffered in the Navy game. Graf states that the nagging injury severely affected Banks throwing motion and that the passing success we've enjoyed the past couple weeks is a result of his improved condition. (Silly Graff! I started to call the show and tell him that the real reason the offense has stepped up the passing game was because a very important and prominent member of gotula.net was applying pressure to coach Fritz. But then again, I'm not one to incite trouble :eyebrows: )

It was also mentioned that Tulane viewed the SMU kickoff time of 11am as a big advantage with our history from earlier this season. Here's hoping this is right.

What an important game this is. Many will argue that Coach Fritz has not made the progress that he should have made if we lose at Dallas. That argument will be indefensible if we win our second straight conference road game as an underdog and earn a bowl berth. Keep in mind that Tulane has played in 8 bowl games in the last 75 years, winning only three of them. I think this would be a seachange.
OUG
Riptide

We won 4 conference games total in the AAC until this year. This week we have a shot at our 4th this year. Tells me two things:

- we are getting better. Moving in the right direction.
- how in the hell did we lose that ******’ Cincinnati game?!?!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

OUG wrote:We won 4 conference games total in the AAC until this year. This week we have a shot at our 4th this year. Tells me two things:

- we are getting better. Moving in the right direction.
- how in the hell did we lose that ******’ Cincinnati game?!?!
That's true in regard to conference games, but the AAC West was weaker this year than it was in either 2016 or 2015. Memphis is possibly better than ever even though it has played at a high G5 level since 2013, but neither Navy nor Houston are what they had been during 2015 and 2016 and Tulsa is a shell of itself from last year.

As for Cincinnati, Tulane has been so inconsistent that it is difficult to make sense of the season. Batting 50% against Cincinnati and @ECU while also batting 50% against Army and @Navy while also batting 50% against Houston and @Memphis.

Maybe Tulane has issues with winning away games in similar fashion to the 2013 team - yes, it won @ECU, but it had to go to overtime in order to do so and that has been the only away game that it has won this season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:Graff was interviewed on 990 AM earlier today and he made a couple of very interesting comments. He remarked that JBanks has just begun to get healthy again from the injury he suffered in the Navy game. Graf states that the nagging injury severely affected Banks throwing motion and that the passing success we've enjoyed the past couple weeks is a result of his improved condition. (Silly Graff! I started to call the show and tell him that the real reason the offense has stepped up the passing game was because a very important and prominent member of gotula.net was applying pressure to coach Fritz. But then again, I'm not one to incite trouble :eyebrows: )

It was also mentioned that Tulane viewed the SMU kickoff time of 11am as a big advantage with our history from earlier this season. Here's hoping this is right.

What an important game this is. Many will argue that Coach Fritz has not made the progress that he should have made if we lose at Dallas. That argument will be indefensible if we win our second straight conference road game as an underdog and earn a bowl berth. Keep in mind that Tulane has played in 8 bowl games in the last 75 years, winning only three of them. I think this would be a seachange.
I’m sure you would have reminded him of the player revolt too against the all run offense that we were running even before the injury occurred. You know the one you told us about with Banks yelling at the coaches on the sideline. And of course you would have mentioned all the other fans that were pissed and going on about it. And that they were represented by all those empty seats. Or that caused your beloved section to be filled with all visiting fans so much so you had to move your seats. :mrgreen:
JerseyWave
Riptide

We have won more games than last year and I consider that progress. The offense, especially at the all important QB position is improved over a year ago. Regardless the outcome of the SMU game I want to see Fritz make progress on the recruiting front. We need to upgrade the talent across the board.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Not singing the blues:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 93a1b.html
Thanks for posting that. I often wondered if he was related to the musician with the same name.
Great angle for a story by Guerry.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
That's true in regard to conference games, but the AAC West was weaker this year than it was in either 2016 or 2015. Memphis is possibly better than ever even though it has played at a high G5 level since 2013, but neither Navy nor Houston are what they had been during 2015 and 2016 and Tulsa is a shell of itself from last year.

As for Cincinnati, Tulane has been so inconsistent that it is difficult to make sense of the season. Batting 50% against Cincinnati and @ECU while also batting 50% against Army and @Navy while also batting 50% against Houston and @Memphis.

Maybe Tulane has issues with winning away games in similar fashion to the 2013 team - yes, it won @ECU, but it had to go to overtime in order to do so and that has been the only away game that it has won this season.
Very true. And ECU is not only a losing team that's probably going to fire their coach, they're bad. And I mean really bad. That game should have been a blowout if we truly "turned a corner". I hope we win and get a bowl berth. But win or lose, I would have liked the team to play more consistently and shown more improvement. You are what your record says you are, and 6-6 or 5-7 versus this schedule as it turned out isn't the improvement I was looking for. I'd take the 50/50 vs Houston and Memphis and Army and Navy (I still think Army beats Navy again this year) but ECU and Cincinnati should both have been wins. And we laid an egg against FIU, and took weeks to come out of that.

Win, lose or draw, I think we're better off than we were two years ago. But the book is still out on whether or not Fritz can get us where we want to go, which is competing for AAC Championships year after year. I want these late games to be about winning the division, not about scrambling for the espn.com bowl berth.

And I'm sure Coach Fritz does too. He's a good man, and a good Coach. To steal a fellow poster's trademark, he still has to "show me" he can take us there. I think he'll need to be here a few more years before we win the conference, and stay a long time to lay down a legacy as the guy that had the program turned around.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://twitter.com/FanSidedU/status/933486779432235008
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

will there be a a NOLA watch party
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

will there be a a NOLA watch party
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Very true. And ECU is not only a losing team that's probably going to fire their coach, they're bad. And I mean really bad. That game should have been a blowout if we truly "turned a corner". I hope we win and get a bowl berth. But win or lose, I would have liked the team to play more consistently and shown more improvement. You are what your record says you are, and 6-6 or 5-7 versus this schedule as it turned out isn't the improvement I was looking for. I'd take the 50/50 vs Houston and Memphis and Army and Navy (I still think Army beats Navy again this year) but ECU and Cincinnati should both have been wins. And we laid an egg against FIU, and took weeks to come out of that.

Win, lose or draw, I think we're better off than we were two years ago. But the book is still out on whether or not Fritz can get us where we want to go, which is competing for AAC Championships year after year. I want these late games to be about winning the division, not about scrambling for the espn.com bowl berth.

And I'm sure Coach Fritz does too. He's a good man, and a good Coach. To steal a fellow poster's trademark, he still has to "show me" he can take us there. I think he'll need to be here a few more years before we win the conference, and stay a long time to lay down a legacy as the guy that had the program turned around.
Well stated. The apologist are already trying to declare what can be said and what can't be said after the SMU game. No matter the outcome this did not go according to any plan. All's well that ends well and I think it will end well but there are more than just talent deficiencies in play here. He's learning on the job at this level. He never played or coached at this level and if he stood out so much as a coach at those lower rungs he would have been brought up much sooner. RR, BK and many more started at lower levels too and got brought up much sooner. The good news is he has acknowledged his mistakes and addressed them.

The shame of it all is we have a winning streak going , just won our first game against a decent opponent in forever and are playing a meaningful finale for the first time in forever and we have weak minded people trying to call out diehards rather than being happy for the position we are in. Everybody should be all in . I know I am. I welcome everyone else on board.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Loading up the SUV for tomorrow's drive to Big-D. I see from the website that the Alumni Association tailgate has now signed up 35 people. I hope there is a lot more green than that at the game to support Willie and the team. Golfnut, you are in Austin, right? Are you driving to Dallas? I'm the 6'5" guy with green Angry-wave Nike pullover and black Angry-wave hat who will be standing by the Chick-Fil-a biscuits at the tailgate. Trust the Process!
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wavetrader wrote:Loading up the SUV for tomorrow's drive to Big-D. I see from the website that the Alumni Association tailgate has now signed up 35 people. I hope there is a lot more green than that at the game to support Willie and the team. Golfnut, you are in Austin, right? Are you driving to Dallas? I'm the 6'5" guy with green Angry-wave Nike pullover and black Angry-wave hat who will be standing by the Chick-Fil-a biscuits at the tailgate. Trust the Process!
I live in Georgetown Tx..we ain't got nothin' to do with Austin, thank Gawd...but I am in NOLA...my mother had a one car accident, so I am here in ole Metry, not far from TD's house
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hope she's ok.
DrBox
Riptide

Fritz botched the end of the Navy and Cincy games. But that has nothing to do with him not being experienced at this level of football..the things he botched are the things you face at any level of football. HIs offense may not be sophisticated enough for this level. We'll see if changes are made.
Yes, most people are diehards hereon...but Tulane still has too many fans who insist that you do it their way,do it with their favorite coach or who are more interested in personal access than in winning. Let's face it - die hards gave us 15 years of Dickson....so let's not act like die-hards should be, per se, above critique.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Hope she's ok.
winwave...thanks...3 broken ribs... a broken wrist and deflated lung...and they released her 4 weeks before her her rehab...so I am back in Metry a few weeks early...and my Mom is 91 years old !!!