Baby Isla helps Wave whip Houston 20-17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wave QB wrote:Excellent points. I guess we will always have those fans who would rather turn their noses up at a 6-6 Tulane team the Mackenzie's Bowl, but sit another year at home in December and watch a 6-6 LSU team in the Belk Bowl.

No matter if it's a 6-6 Tulane team in the Mackenzie's Buttermilk Drop Bowl or a 12-0 Angry Wave team in the Fiesta Bowl, we need to purchase tickets and support our program who has seen more Coal in our stockings than Bowl Games! Fritz has a chance to give our fan base some hope at being a consistent Bowl Game program under his direction. No matter what, I will buying a ticket and hotel room over sitting at home watching ULL vs USM in the NOLA Bowl.
:fastclap: :2thumbs: :clap: :1thumb:

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:
Wave QB wrote:Excellent points. I guess we will always have those fans who would rather turn their noses up at a 6-6 Tulane team the Mackenzie's Bowl, but sit another year at home in December and watch a 6-6 LSU team in the Belk Bowl.

No matter if it's a 6-6 Tulane team in the Mackenzie's Buttermilk Drop Bowl or a 12-0 Angry Wave team in the Fiesta Bowl, we need to purchase tickets and support our program who has seen more Coal in our stockings than Bowl Games! Fritz has a chance to give our fan base some hope at being a consistent Bowl Game program under his direction. No matter what, I will buying a ticket and hotel room over sitting at home watching ULL vs USM in the NOLA Bowl.
:fastclap: :2thumbs: :clap: :1thumb:
If Tulane is 6-6 gets a bowl invite, we all need to buy tickets, even if you cannot attend..Bowl's look at the number of tickets sold, sure, they want your butt in the seat, but the ticket sold, is money in the bank..when Tulane played Washington in the Independence Bowl, Mack had to guarantee, Tulane would sell it's total allotment..Tulane Athletic dept had to buy some of the Tickets and gave them to local civic groups in Shreveport-Bossier area. If memory serves, most were given to Air Force personnel at the Barksdale base
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Not to be a party pooper or anything, but its possible that there will be more bowl-eligible teams than spots. What would be the odds that an AAC team would get a slot before a 6-6 CUSA or Sunbelt team? Would hate to see us be 6-6 and be the odd man out.
We beat SMU and problem solved. We will both have 6 wins and we will have beaten them straight up at their place.They get left out not us.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:I read a few years ago that the NOLA Bowl has a standing agreement with Tulane that if Tulane is Bowl eligible and no one else takes them, then the NOLA Bowl will.
I'm not doubting you but isn't the NOLA Bowl contractually tied to C-USA and the Sun Belt?
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:My weekly post-game ramblings:
  • This was the most fun game to watch since the ULLaughter overtime game and Glen Cuillete had four TD passes
  • It's a blast to watch Coach Fritz fire up the sidelines. I haven't seen this much emotion in a long time!
  • I finally gave up on my season tickets in section 121 and moved to Westfeldt. Looking at the west side, it was a sea of red. When Yulman opened, this area was filled with green. No longer.
  • The Houston band and fans out-noised us. I hate this embarrassment in our own house.
  • As I read all the posts on this thread, I see that GreenPhantom started drinking early.
  • The suicide watch that was in place after the Cincy game seems to have passed. A few sprained ankles remain from those who jumped from the Fritz bandwagon. After we beat SMUgh, this forum will be filled with "I-told-you-sos".
  • Savoring a win is sweetest against Texas fans and South Florida fans. Loud. Obnoxious. Drunken. At least most Tulane fans aren't loud (just the other two).
  • What a great game to have a number of visiting recruits. I read somewhere on the forum that Lindsey Scott was at the game. He's got to be thinking ’what-if'.
Let's go to Dallas and finish our work. I'm planning on the trip. My wife even suggested it. (Disclaimer: She's a TCU grad and there's some bad blood between them and with SMUgh)
We have no bandwagon fans. Everyone left is a true diehard. We just have some that have to hear ALL IS WELL all the time or they throw hissy fits. That was just repeating a stupid fanbashing comment made by Smith in the paper. Thank God we actually have some fans left that have standards and are demanding of coaches and administrators. Fans rightfully called him out for his mistakes most of which was his playcalling. He almost lost his team over it midseason as they were also disgusted with it. We finally balance things out and we get our first win over a decent team in forever. Try and enjoy it. I know I am. You're welcome.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Yes, Wwave, so glad we have fans with high standards and insight like yours that turned this season around. You and MSDOS have showed the coaches what they needed to do to win in the AAC. Glad you have jumped back onboard.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for all of your contributions to fan bashing. You offer nothing else. You're welcome.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Three words: "Trust the process"
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Three words: "Pass the ball".
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Baby Isla on Sr day.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Baby Isla on Sr day.
Is she old enough to travel ?...All efforts and help will be appreciated !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Baby Isla on Sr day.
Is she old enough to travel ?...All efforts and help will be appreciated !!!!
Let’s hope so. Baby Isla is unbeaten at 2-0!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

I'll give it to WinWave for creating this great subject line and theme. It's fun.

More importantly I'll give it RJM and his wife for getting married as parents to Baby Isla. I hope RJM can play pro ball but if not that he completes successfully his Tulane education and use it to launch a successful career and family life. May all of them have a truly blessed Thanksgiving.

Meanwhile I vote for a ThreePeat Saturday from our newest and best fan.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Here's your box score from the Houston game to close out this post:

Total Yards:
TU:417
H: 445

First Downs:
TU: 22
H:23

3rd Down Conversation rate:
TU: 8/14
H: 6/11

Time of Possession:
TU: 36:24
H: 23:36

Passing Yards:
TU: 251 yards (Banks 17/25, 1 td, 1 int)
H: 221 yards (King 18/26, 0 td, 1 int)

Rushing Yards: (interesting to note that in the last few games, we've passed for more yards than rushing, maybe WF is listening to our complaints on the board?)
TU: 166 yards (Banks 16 for 68 yards, Hilliard 18 for 52 yards, Badie 6 for 25 yards 1 td, Bradwell 3 for 19 yards)
H:220 yards (King 10 for 141 yards 2 tds, Car 19 for 72 yards, Mitchell 2 for 9 yards)

Receiving Yards:
TU: Encalade 8 for 186 yards 1 td (MONSTER DAY), Mooney 2 for 28 yards, Jones 2 for 15 yards, Clewis 3 for 8 yards)
H: Bonner 7 for 100 yards, lark 3 for 62 yards, Dunbar 2 for 26 yards,Car 3 for 15 yards)

Penalties:
TU: 5 for 42 yards
H: 5 for 46 yards

We got a great win against Houston and we are 1 game away from being bowl eligible with a tough SMU team to end the season. This team has lots of ups and downs, and after the Cinci game I had lost lots of faith in WF, but the ECU and Houston game have revived my support for WF and quelled most my concerns about WF. I am back in the WF supporter boat and IN FRITZ I trust. Hopefully we don't lay an egg at SMU and send out our seniors with a win and a bowl game. WF has improved each year that he has been here and we can definitely see progress, albeit, sometimes slow progress, but there's progress. It's a good Monday to be a Greenie, especially after a win. ROLL DAMN WAVE!
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

I had to do another post:

As of week 11 in NCAA D1 football:

Defensive Leaders:

Mr. Teamer is Number 3 in the land with a total of 11 sacks.

Mr. Nickerson is Number 4 in the land with a total of 5 ints.

Mr. Hilliard is Number 30 in the land for rushing yards with 1049 rushing yards to date.

There's a very, very, very, good chance we will see these 3 play in the next level. Congrats to their body of work for this season. Let's finish strong boys!
anEngineer
Riptide

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Rushing Yards: (interesting to note that in the last few games, we've passed for more yards than rushing, maybe WF is listening to our complaints on the board?)
TU: 166 yards (Banks 16 for 68 yards, Hilliard 18 for 52 yards, Badie 6 for 25 yards 1 td, Bradwell 3 for 19 yards)
H:220 yards (King 10 for 141 yards 2 tds, Car 19 for 72 yards, Mitchell 2 for 9 yards)
If I thought Willie Fritz was spending so much as a microsecond reading the comments on this board (especially during the season), I would have serious reservations about his ability to coach beyond playground level.
Hippiecoog
Trickle

golfnut69 wrote:
Hippiecoog wrote:Congrats to Tulane. Good luck the rest of the way.

Too bad we can't fire our incompetent head coach and his staff. Very unacceptable performance this season.
I have to admit, I was shocked the DC did not get the Houston HC job, he is doing one hell of a job at Texas

Everybody at UH outside the admin wanted Orlando to get the job if an internal promotion had to be done. I guarantee he'd be better than the crappy 6-4 Applewhite has us at right now.
Hippiecoog
Trickle

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Hippiecoog wrote:Congrats to Tulane. Good luck the rest of the way.

Too bad we can't fire our incompetent head coach and his staff. Very unacceptable performance this season.
I have to admit, I was shocked the DC did not get the Houston HC job, he is doing one hell of a job at Texas
Then you weren't watching Houston very closely, Woody. Right or wrong, Applewhite was the head coach in waiting, and it was a minor formality to promote him to HC. Now I'm not saying they love that decision now, but from a distance, it was a foregone conclusion this time last year.
Still didn't make it a good decision. Houston didn't learn from it's mistake a few years ago when they promoted the ST coach in the hopes of having a coach stay.
Houston fans are like George Steinbrenner in his prime. If we lose, it's manager's fault so churn the managers until we win it all. Nothing less is acceptable. It's way too early to make a call on Applewhite. Tulane beat UH yesterday. Game was not lost by UH.

Meanwhile if UH wants to add needless turmoil to its program and force its HC to spend countless hours on perpetually looking over his shoulder than the task at hand of making his team better, ok with me since Tulane has to play them every year.

If the coach does his job and wins the games he's supposed to win then he won't have to worry about looking over his shoulder.

Sumlin, Briles and Herman all did what the fanbase and admin expected them to do. Levine lost to teams he had no business losing to and was shown the door.

If Applewhite keeps up the horrible losses, he'll be shown the door too. With the talent, facilities and resources we have at UH, you should be 9-3 minimum every year.
Last edited by Hippiecoog on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
lurker123
Swell

Hippiecoog wrote:
HippieC, It sounds like a replay of about half the posts on Tiger Droppings. OK with me for the reasons I noted above. But why compromise at 9-3 minimum? That's alot of losses in Steinbrenner world.
Hippiecoog
Trickle

lurker123 wrote:
Hippiecoog wrote:
HippieC, It sounds like a replay of about half the posts on Tiger Droppings. OK with me for the reasons I noted above. But why compromise at 9-3 minimum? That's alot of losses in Steinbrenner world.
I dont even know who Steinbrinner is.

Nobody goes 12-0 every year, not even Saban's Alabama or Carroll's USC.

9-3 is a reasonable expectation. If that's too much then you don't need to be coaching at UH. I don't know what Tulane expectations are but at UH you compete for football championships every single year or you're gone. It's that simple.

Like I said, with the type of talent we recruit every year, the quality of facilities including the fact that we are one of the only G5 schools with an IPF, plus the fact that 3 out of our last 4 coaches have won big here, there's no reason why someone shouldn't win at least 9 games a year here.

Games like ours this past Saturday will get you fired. The last coach who lost to Tulane was fired at the end of the season for a poor back to back 8-5 performance. Applewhite better get his act together next year.

Going to a bowl isn't much of an accomplishment since you only need to win 6 games and there are like 50 of them now.
lurker123
Swell

Hippiecoog wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Hippiecoog wrote:

9-3 is a reasonable expectation. If that's too much then you don't need to be coaching at UH. I don't know what Tulane expectations are but at UH you compete for football championships every single year or you're gone. It's that simple.

Like I said, with the type of talent we recruit every year, the quality of facilities including the fact that we are one of the only G5 schools with an IPF, plus the fact that 3 out of our last 4 coaches have won big here, there's no reason why someone shouldn't win at least 9 games a year here.

Games like ours this past Saturday will get you fired. The last coach who lost to Tulane was fired at the end of the season for a poor back to back 8-5 performance. Applewhite better get his act together next year.

Going to a bowl isn't much of an accomplishment since you only need to win 6 games and there are like 50 of them now.
Astros did beat Yankees this year so, yeah, in Houston, "Who's Steinbrenner?"

Thanks for getting to the crux of it at UH. Lose to Tulane. Lose your job. Is Sampson nervous? I guess he's circled Jan 17th and Feb 11th on his calendar. Have you?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Hippiecoog wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Hippiecoog wrote:

Hippie has a pretty inflated view of UH, doesn't he? Dude, except for 2016, when you landed Ed Oliver and 2 4 star recruits, Houston hasn't had a single recruit higher than 3 stars this decade. That's no different than every other G5. Your "talent" doesn't begin to match up with any mid-range P5 even. And facilities don't win games. You can wish all you want, but Houston's in the same boat as every other G5. If you don't follow a good hire with a good hire, you'll fall back into mediocrity. The only thing Houston has in their favor is a donor that's willing to shell out money regularly to buy out a coach that doesn't produce results immediately.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson