Baby Isla helps Wave whip Houston 20-17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
Hippiecoog wrote:Congrats to Tulane. Good luck the rest of the way.

Too bad we can't fire our incompetent head coach and his staff. Very unacceptable performance this season.
I have to admit, I was shocked the DC did not get the Houston HC job, he is doing one hell of a job at Texas
Then you weren't watching Houston very closely, Woody. Right or wrong, Applewhite was the head coach in waiting, and it was a minor formality to promote him to HC. Now I'm not saying they love that decision now, but from a distance, it was a foregone conclusion this time last year.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

If both Tulane and Temple win next week the AAC will have 8 eligible bowl teams but only 7 bowl tie-ins.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Fake news!
Tulane (6-6, 4-4) took the lead late in the fourth quarter after quarterback Jonathan Banks connected with receiver Terren Encalade on a 64-yard touchdown pass.
I wish we were 4-4 in conference and 6-6.

Did anyone notice if Glenn Cuillette walked with the Seniors?

ROLL WAVE!
They were just predicting the future1 :mrgreen:

As for Cuiellette he did not walk. His very recent comments indicated he wants to come back but will talk to the staff after the season. He also indicated and interest in being on the staff. I think he ends up being a GA coach next season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Too bad we can't fire our incompetent head coach and his staff. Very unacceptable performance this season.
I have to admit, I was shocked the DC did not get the Houston HC job, he is doing one hell of a job at Texas
Then you weren't watching Houston very closely, Woody. Right or wrong, Applewhite was the head coach in waiting, and it was a minor formality to promote him to HC. Now I'm not saying they love that decision now, but from a distance, it was a foregone conclusion this time last year.
Still didn't make it a good decision. Houston didn't learn from it's mistake a few years ago when they promoted the ST coach in the hopes of having a coach stay.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Still didn't make it a good decision. Houston didn't learn from it's mistake a few years ago when they promoted the ST coach in the hopes of having a coach stay.
Houston fans are like George Steinbrenner in his prime. If we lose, it's manager's fault so churn the managers until we win it all. Nothing less is acceptable. It's way too early to make a call on Applewhite. Tulane beat UH yesterday. Game was not lost by UH.

Meanwhile if UH wants to add needless turmoil to its program and force its HC to spend countless hours on perpetually looking over his shoulder than the task at hand of making his team better, ok with me since Tulane has to play them every year.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:Fake news!
Tulane (6-6, 4-4) took the lead late in the fourth quarter after quarterback Jonathan Banks connected with receiver Terren Encalade on a 64-yard touchdown pass.
I wish we were 4-4 in conference and 6-6.

Did anyone notice if Glenn Cuillette walked with the Seniors?

ROLL WAVE!
I know I read somewhere that Fritz wasn't allowing any redshirt juniors to walk unless they informed him before the season started.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

gotta admit, I only watched from two hours away, maybe it was not distant enough... Major Appleseed's run will be interesting, or maybe it won't
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Houston fans are like George Steinbrenner in his prime. If we lose, it's manager's fault so churn the managers until we win it all. Nothing less is acceptable. It's way too early to make a call on Applewhite. Tulane beat UH yesterday. Game was not lost by UH.

Meanwhile if UH wants to add needless turmoil to its program and force its HC to spend countless hours on perpetually looking over his shoulder than the task at hand of making his team better, ok with me since Tulane has to play them every year.
Lurk I called it a bad hire from the beginning. I think a lot of their fans felt the same way. Like us they need to learn from their hiring mistakes. And yes it's good that they screwed up.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Definitely good for us, that's for sure. Its the same thing every G5 program needs to deal with. If you don't replace a good hire with another good hire, you'll regress back to mediocrity. Which is why most of us are in G5s and not P5s.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Not to be a party pooper or anything, but its possible that there will be more bowl-eligible teams than spots. What would be the odds that an AAC team would get a slot before a 6-6 CUSA or Sunbelt team? Would hate to see us be 6-6 and be the odd man out.
galvezwave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Not to be a party pooper or anything, but its possible that there will be more bowl-eligible teams than spots. What would be the odds that an AAC team would get a slot before a 6-6 CUSA or Sunbelt team? Would hate to see us be 6-6 and be the odd man out.
I think a lot will depend on location. Obviously Tulane would get more interest for a game in Nola or Houston over a team from the east coast or up north. Tulane has a history of selling a few bowl tickets.

a bowl in this spot would be key in showing an upward trajectory to recruits and get some extra practice. Those are huge factors, but if it has to end at 6-6, that would sure beat a losing record.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Lurk I called it a bad hire from the beginning. I think a lot of their fans felt the same way. Like us they need to learn from their hiring mistakes. And yes it's good that they screwed up.
Win, You may very well be on point here. I just think it's too early to judge. Unless someone is pulling an Ellis Johnson at USM fiasco or has off the field issues, how do you fire a winning coach in his first season? But hey, that's UH. I'm mildly rooting for Applewhite as a Louisiana Catholic High guy but I have no dog in that fight. I don't make the rules. As we absolutely agree, like you I'm in favor of confusion to the enemy. If the deluded Cougs want to spend their time contemplating their navels I'm not getting their way. I'll just mildly root for Applewhite at his next stop and root for UH to keep churning coaches.
lurker123
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Not to be a party pooper or anything, but its possible that there will be more bowl-eligible teams than spots. What would be the odds that an AAC team would get a slot before a 6-6 CUSA or Sunbelt team? Would hate to see us be 6-6 and be the odd man out.
I think a lot will depend on location. Obviously Tulane would get more interest for a game in Nola or Houston over a team from the east coast or up north. Tulane has a history of selling a few bowl tickets.

a bowl in this spot would be key in showing an upward trajectory to recruits and get some extra practice. Those are huge factors, but if it has to end at 6-6, that would sure beat a losing record.
Have faith in Aresco, Tulane will not be edged out by 6-6 CUSA/Sunbelt teams, if it beats SMU. AAC may not be P6 yet but it clearly is G4+1. These bowls are all about perceived status and climbing the ladder. You think ESPN which literally owns many of these bowls is going to pick a CUSA/SB team over an AAC one? Yes Tulane may underdraw at home but it does have a relatively good record of selling bowl tickets. Finally let's remember that very few teams today sell out their bowl ticket allotments in this CFP age. We'll see green in the stands if Tulane does play in December. BIg if though. Have to beat SMU.
swampnik
Surge

You can take this to the bank: When the going gets tough; the Banks gets going! (all year).
Big ups to Mooney and Escalade also.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Robert1969
Riptide

I read a few years ago that the NOLA Bowl has a standing agreement with Tulane that if Tulane is Bowl eligible and no one else takes them, then the NOLA Bowl will.
galvezwave
Swell

swampnik wrote:You can take this to the bank: When the going gets tough; the Banks gets going! (all year).
Big ups to Mooney and Escalade also.

I'm gonna give ups to coach fritz too. My jaw dropped when banks dropped back to pass on the 3rd and 9. It was refreshing to see us say " let's end this right now". We hit 250 yards passing for the first time. That should be the sweet spot for this offense. I've been hard on WF here. I'll give that a rest
lurker123
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:
I read a few years ago that the NOLA Bowl has a standing agreement with Tulane that if Tulane is Bowl eligible and no one else takes them, then the NOLA Bowl will.
I'm ok with playing in Dome whenever compared to Bermuda/Boca/Hawaii type locations. Tulane will sell 10,000 tickets to a game like that and more importantly put 15,000+ butts in seats for fans who get their tickets from local businesses who "support" NOLA Bowl by buying corporate seating in bulk. USL game there a few years ago was a fun and lively atmosphere as both teams fans showed up.
GreenLantern
Riptide

My weekly post-game ramblings:
  • This was the most fun game to watch since the ULLaughter overtime game and Glen Cuillete had four TD passes
  • It's a blast to watch Coach Fritz fire up the sidelines. I haven't seen this much emotion in a long time!
  • I finally gave up on my season tickets in section 121 and moved to Westfeldt. Looking at the west side, it was a sea of red. When Yulman opened, this area was filled with green. No longer.
  • The Houston band and fans out-noised us. I hate this embarrassment in our own house.
  • As I read all the posts on this thread, I see that GreenPhantom started drinking early.
  • The suicide watch that was in place after the Cincy game seems to have passed. A few sprained ankles remain from those who jumped from the Fritz bandwagon. After we beat SMUgh, this forum will be filled with "I-told-you-sos".
  • Savoring a win is sweetest against Texas fans and South Florida fans. Loud. Obnoxious. Drunken. At least most Tulane fans aren't loud (just the other two).
  • What a great game to have a number of visiting recruits. I read somewhere on the forum that Lindsey Scott was at the game. He's got to be thinking ’what-if'.
Let's go to Dallas and finish our work. I'm planning on the trip. My wife even suggested it. (Disclaimer: She's a TCU grad and there's some bad blood between them and with SMUgh)
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

lurker123 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
I'm ok with playing in Dome whenever compared to Bermuda/Boca/Hawaii type locations. Tulane will sell 10,000 tickets to a game like that and more importantly put 15,000+ butts in seats for fans who get their tickets from local businesses who "support" NOLA Bowl by buying corporate seating in bulk. USL game there a few years ago was a fun and lively atmosphere as both teams fans showed up.
I think we’ve all waited long enough for a bowl game. If we get the dollar general bowl in Birmingham, you better believe I will be going. Whatever bowl we get I’m going. We’ve sat on the sidelines too long and the last bowl game in the dome left a bad taste in my mouth....

It was a great win last night and besides the fiu/ cinci debacle, fritz did a decent job this year. Like I said all along, as long as we continue to improve every year, I’ll be happy. 4-8 last year and we are 5-6 so far, so all signs are pointing up. Let’s finish strong and get a bowl game. Roll damn wave!
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Definitely good for us, that's for sure. Its the same thing every G5 program needs to deal with. If you don't replace a good hire with another good hire, you'll regress back to mediocrity. Which is why most of us are in G5s and not P5s.
Every football team has to deal with this, not just G5 programs.
RobertM320
Green Wave

You don't think there's a lot of P5s that do OK even if they only get an average hire? I think you could put CJ at an LSU and they'd win 6 games every year just due to talent.
DrBox
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:You don't think there's a lot of P5s that do OK even if they only get an average hire? I think you could put CJ at an LSU and they'd win 6 games every year just due to talent.
They didn't in the 1990s.
They probably could withstand one now, but very few schools can.
Now Tulane is more coach sensitive and we need a special kind of coach, namely a disciplinarian. He doesn't have to be a jerk, but he needs to be tough.
Wave QB
Swell

It sure would be great for the program for Fritz to go to a Bowl Game in his second year. If he can pull out 6 wins, I think i will show our fans that Fritz can at least be a guy to take us to Bowl Games on a consistent basis.
Wave QB
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:You don't think there's a lot of P5s that do OK even if they only get an average hire? I think you could put CJ at an LSU and they'd win 6 games every year just due to talent.
Without Price as his OC, CJ would win 8 games on a down year if he was at LSU with the talent factor. Lol.
Wave QB
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
I think we’ve all waited long enough for a bowl game. If we get the dollar general bowl in Birmingham, you better believe I will be going. Whatever bowl we get I’m going. We’ve sat on the sidelines too long and the last bowl game in the dome left a bad taste in my mouth....

It was a great win last night and besides the fiu/ cinci debacle, fritz did a decent job this year. Like I said all along, as long as we continue to improve every year, I’ll be happy. 4-8 last year and we are 5-6 so far, so all signs are pointing up. Let’s finish strong and get a bowl game. Roll damn wave!

Excellent points. I guess we will always have those fans who would rather turn their noses up at a 6-6 Tulane team the Mackenzie's Bowl, but sit another year at home in December and watch a 6-6 LSU team in the Belk Bowl.

No matter if it's a 6-6 Tulane team in the Mackenzie's Buttermilk Drop Bowl or a 12-0 Angry Wave team in the Fiesta Bowl, we need to purchase tickets and support our program who has seen more Coal in our stockings than Bowl Games! Fritz has a chance to give our fan base some hope at being a consistent Bowl Game program under his direction. No matter what, I will buying a ticket and hotel room over sitting at home watching ULL vs USM in the NOLA Bowl.