Oh what could have been...

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Currently 4-6

Win Navy, Win FIU, Win Cinn..

We would be 7-3 ...should have been ....

Unacceptable where we are ....

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Woulda, shoulda, coulda. "You are what you're record says you are" (Bill Parcells).

We were seriously outplayed by FIU, and asked a walk-on kicker to make his 4th field goal of the game (2x as many as we had made year to date) with the game on the line against Cincy. In other words, if you think Fritz has the talent and the scheme to be 7-3 right now, you're giving him more credit than most posters on this board. I still chuckle that there was discussions about him getting a P5 offer when we blew out a lousy Tulsa team.

I see your point that it was right there for the taking, but good teams step up and take those games. We're not a good team.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:Woulda, shoulda, coulda. "You are what you're record says you are" (Bill Parcells).

We were seriously outplayed by FIU, and asked a walk-on kicker to make his 4th field goal of the game (2x as many as we had made year to date) with the game on the line against Cincy. In other words, if you think Fritz has the talent and the scheme to be 7-3 right now, you're giving him more credit than most posters on this board. I still chuckle that there was discussions about him getting a P5 offer when we blew out a lousy Tulsa team.

I see your point that it was right there for the taking, but good teams step up and take those games. We're not a good team.
Painful and true.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bigschtick
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Woulda, shoulda, coulda. "You are what you're record says you are" (Bill Parcells).

We did not play like a team that deserved a bowl this year either!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:I see your point that it was right there for the taking, but good teams step up and take those games. We're not a good team.
YET.

1978 4-7
L GaTech 17-27
L Stanford 14-17
L TCU 7-13
L Ole Miss 3-13
L LSU 21-40

1979 9-2
W GaTech 12-7
W Stanford 33-10
W TCU 33-19
W Ole Miss 49-15
W LSU 24-13

Trust the process.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I see your point that it was right there for the taking, but good teams step up and take those games. We're not a good team.
YET.

1978 4-7
L GaTech 17-27
L Stanford 14-17
L TCU 7-13
L Ole Miss 3-13
L LSU 21-40

1979 9-2
W GaTech 12-7
W Stanford 33-10
W TCU 33-19
W Ole Miss 49-15
W LSU 24-13

Trust the process.
1979 was all about our OC Lindy Infante. Let's see what changes WF makes in the off season.
GreenLantern
Riptide

For all sad words of tongue and pen,
The saddest are these:
'It might have been'.
Agreed that we didn't deserve to win. Yet.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Infante was also OC in 1976. We were 2-9. Two years in between as a WR coach for the Giants changed him that much? And we were 7-4 (should have been 9-2) the following year without him.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Infante was also OC in 1976. We were 2-9. Two years in between as a WR coach for the Giants changed him that much? And we were 7-4 (should have been 9-2) the following year without him.
Those players were freshman in 76. Infante was the it factor that year. and of course Tulane once again fucked up the hire.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Fritz isn't bringing in better talent and than what is leaving. He needs to step up his recruiting game and hire a guy well connected to the Louisiana high schools. In his first two seasons I can't think of a freshman who has wowed me on offense or defense.
OUG
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Fritz isn't bringing in better talent and than what is leaving. He needs to step up his recruiting game and hire a guy well connected to the Louisiana high schools. In his first two seasons I can't think of a freshman who has wowed me on offense or defense.
I’m not sure that is totally fair. There are definitely guys who look good as freshman but can’t get on the field. Hudderson, Barge, Sample, Hall, and others have looked very good but they’re at positions where they weren’t going to displace who was already there. That’s how a program is supposed to operate. The seniors are supposed to get the most playing time because they are supposed to give you the best chance to win. I think Dublin on the line and Mooney at wideout have been good though, and they are starting.

He’s still mostly dealing with an inherited roster at most positions.
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:Infante was also OC in 1976. We were 2-9. Two years in between as a WR coach for the Giants changed him that much? And we were 7-4 (should have been 9-2) the following year without him.
Yes, for 1976 freshman Dr. Roch Hontas was a "Tanner Lee like pick six machine." So, the answer is yes, Infante put in a whole new offense for 1979 and it was great!
Wave755
Tsunami

By the way, I just checked, we were 4-7 for 1978, not 7-4. And yes, 1979 was all about Lindy Infante. And, the team was crushed after the 1979 season when Hindman Wall refused to hire Infante and hired instead a Vince Gibson with a then overall losing record of 59-81-1. And then in 1998, "deja vu" all over again for the Rodriquez fiasco. Only at Tulane. :shakingno:
Wave QB
Swell

RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote:
By the way, I just checked, we were 4-7 for 1978, not 7-4. And yes, 1979 was all about Lindy Infante. And, the team was crushed after the 1979 season when Hindman Wall refused to hire Infante and hired instead a Vince Gibson with a then overall losing record of 59-81-1. And then in 1998, "deja vu" all over again for the Rodriquez fiasco. Only at Tulane. :shakingno:
I was referring to 1980, the FOLLOWING year. We were 7-4 with Gibson. As for the team being crushed, I know. I was the Hullabaloo Sports Editor at the time. I was in the room with the media when it was announced that Larry Smith was leaving.
Wave755
Tsunami

We were 4-7 in 1978, and then 9-2 in 1979. Infante's offense was the difference.

And then, we were 7-4 in 1980, 6-5 in 1981 and 4-7 in 1982. And then, after the 1982 season Hindman Wall fired his life long friend, Vince Gibson.
Last edited by Wave755 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote:We were 4-7 in 1978, 9-2 in 1979. Infante's offense was the difference.
It helped. It wasn't the only difference. And a lot of the same players won 7 games in 1980 without him. Yes he made a difference. And I've always been of the mindset that the proper thing was to keep Infante as HC when Smith left. I've never disagreed with that. But what you're saying is that the players on that team would not have continued to progress without Infante. That team was going to have a winning season no matter what. The talent was there.

My whole point with this is, Fritz is gradually bringing his players in. They're buying into his system. Just accept the fact we're not going to be an air-raid offense under Fritz. Deal with it. The bottom line is wins and losses and guess what? Our 20-17 win today counts for EXACTLY as many wins as Memphis' 42-38 win over the same team a few weeks ago. I'll take it. Some people are never happy.
RobertM320
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:Fritz isn't bringing in better talent and than what is leaving. He needs to step up his recruiting game and hire a guy well connected to the Louisiana high schools. In his first two seasons I can't think of a freshman who has wowed me on offense or defense.
People keep saying this over and over, and its statistically NOT TRUE. The current 247 composite score is 80.95. Actually, after they remove Patrick Shegog it will be 81.68. It is HIGHER than ANY RECRUITING CLASS SIGNED AT TULANE since these composite rankings started in 2002. So why does everyone keep saying he's not bringing in better talent, when the recruiting services themselves are saying otherwise?
Last edited by RobertM320 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:We were 4-7 in 1978, 9-2 in 1979. Infante's offense was the difference.
It helped. It wasn't the only difference. And a lot of the same players won 7 games in 1980 without him. Yes he made a difference. And I've always been of the mindset that the proper thing was to keep Infante as HC when Smith left. I've never disagreed with that. But what you're saying is that the players on that team would not have continued to progress without Infante. That team was going to have a winning season no matter what. The talent was there.

My whole point with this is, Fritz is gradually bringing his players in. They're buying into his system. Just accept the fact we're not going to be an air-raid offense under Fritz. Deal with it. The bottom line is wins and losses and guess what? Our 20-17 win today counts for EXACTLY as many wins as Memphis' 42-38 win over the same team a few weeks ago. I'll take it. Some people are never happy.
I went to today's game, and am very happy tonight. The game was great fun. :)
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
And then, in 1981 we went 6-5, & in 1982 we went 4-7, and then Hindman Wall fired his friend Vince Gibson.

We agree, Wall blew it by not hiring Lindy Infante.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
People keep saying this over and over, and its statistically NOT TRUE. The current 247 composite score is 80.95. Actually, after they remove Patrick Shegog it will be 81.68. It is HIGHER than ANY RECRUITING CLASS SIGNED AT TULANE since these composite rankings started in 2002. So why does everyone keep saying he's not bringing in better talent, when the recruiting services themselves are saying otherwise?
+1

And there has been no shortage of TRUE Freshman playing last year or this year. The "experts" didn't like his 2017 class, but it's seen many of it's' members play. The 2018 team, without Shegog, as you point out, is pretty damned good. Will we land a hot 4 star QB with this offense? NO. But Fritz is getting his players. Whether or not he can get them to play winning football, and do more than hope for a low level bowl game remains to be seen.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Seriously. People want to say some people can't be happy but then want to play gotcha. Facts fall by the side. Fact is we don't have many true freshman playing. We have Dublin who plays ok overall but gets penalties at really bad times. Sample has played and made some plays. Johnson has played a little and not done much yet. Huderson plays very little. Keurschen plays but has clear limitations. Who else out of the 22 ?
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Seriously. People want to say some people can't be happy but then want to play gotcha. Facts fall by the side. Fact is we don't have many true freshman playing. We have Dublin who plays ok overall but gets penalties at really bad times. Sample has played and made some plays. Johnson has played a little and not done much yet. Huderson plays very little. Keurschen plays but has clear limitations. Who else out of the 22 ?
This is true. Which will make us that much stronger next year as we'll have almost an entire class of RS FR that have an entire year in the system. So Fritz is being competitive with CJ's recruits, and statistically Fritz's current recruiting class is the best in at least 15 years, whether you want to believe it or not. So how is it possible we're not going in the right direction?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:Seriously. People want to say some people can't be happy but then want to play gotcha. Facts fall by the side. Fact is we don't have many true freshman playing. We have Dublin who plays ok overall but gets penalties at really bad times. Sample has played and made some plays. Johnson has played a little and not done much yet. Huderson plays very little. Keurschen plays but has clear limitations. Who else out of the 22 ?
This is true. Which will make us that much stronger next year as we'll have almost an entire class of RS FR that have an entire year in the system. So Fritz is being competitive with CJ's recruits, and statistically Fritz's current recruiting class is the best in at least 15 years, whether you want to believe it or not. So how is it possible we're not going in the right direction?
320 there you go again making something up to try and create an argument. Show me where I said we aren't going in the right direction. I simply posted the truth about who was playing and who wasn't THIS SEASON.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
320 there you go again making something up to try and create an argument. Show me where I said we aren't going in the right direction. I simply posted the truth about who was playing and who wasn't THIS SEASON.
I wasn't referring to you, winwave, I'm referring to a lot of other posters on the board who have said on numerous occasions that we can't win with Fritz and that his recruiting sucks.