Oh what could have been...

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:Seriously. People want to say some people can't be happy but then want to play gotcha. Facts fall by the side. Fact is we don't have many true freshman playing. We have Dublin who plays ok overall but gets penalties at really bad times. Sample has played and made some plays. Johnson has played a little and not done much yet. Huderson plays very little. Keurschen plays but has clear limitations. Who else out of the 22 ?
This is true. Which will make us that much stronger next year as we'll have almost an entire class of RS FR that have an entire year in the system. So Fritz is being competitive with CJ's recruits, and statistically Fritz's current recruiting class is the best in at least 15 years, whether you want to believe it or not. So how is it possible we're not going in the right direction?
320 there you go again making something up to try and create an argument. Show me where I said we aren't going in the right direction. I simply posted the truth about who was playing and who wasn't THIS SEASON.
I wasn't referring to you, winwave, I'm referring to a lot of other posters on the board who have said on numerous occasions that we can't win with Fritz and that his recruiting sucks.
He did bring Banks in and that’s why we’re still alive for a bowl. Dublin from Jesuit has been a good get as well.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:Seriously. People want to say some people can't be happy but then want to play gotcha. Facts fall by the side. Fact is we don't have many true freshman playing. We have Dublin who plays ok overall but gets penalties at really bad times. Sample has played and made some plays. Johnson has played a little and not done much yet. Huderson plays very little. Keurschen plays but has clear limitations. Who else out of the 22 ?
This is true. Which will make us that much stronger next year as we'll have almost an entire class of RS FR that have an entire year in the system. So Fritz is being competitive with CJ's recruits, and statistically Fritz's current recruiting class is the best in at least 15 years, whether you want to believe it or not. So how is it possible we're not going in the right direction?
320 there you go again making something up to try and create an argument. Show me where I said we aren't going in the right direction. I simply posted the truth about who was playing and who wasn't THIS SEASON.
I wasn't referring to you, winwave, I'm referring to a lot of other posters on the board who have said on numerous occasions that we can't win with Fritz and that his recruiting sucks.
Ok.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Need to set the record straight on Lindy Infante.
Just got off the phone with a former player that played for Larry Smith and was a senior in Larry’s final year. Lindy Infante left before Larry Smith actually left. Smith was mad about it as well. Infante left during spring ball in 1980 to take a job as OC for the Bengals. Cincinnati was very attractive to him because they had a great facility for special needs kids as Lindy had a special need kid. Larry Smith left Tulane shortly after in May 1980 to go to AZ. Months later Vince Gibson was hired as Infante had already settled in at Cincy. He wasn’t interested at that point. Now 1983 is a different story. Infante actually wanted the Tulane job and was in serious negotiations with Dr Hindman Wall. It was a Friday night and his NFL team was about to travel to play at San Francisco and he told Wall he wanted to think about it over the weekend after his game. Wall said that was fine. After the game he decided he wanted the job so he called Wall either Sunday night or Monday morning and Wall’s son answered the phone. He told Lindy his dad was in the living room offering the job to Wally English. Asked if he wanted to leave a message, Lindy replied no thanks. Bye.
And folks that’s exactly how it went down. This information came right from Lindy Infante.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Need to set the record straight on Lindy Infante.
Just got off the phone with a former player that played for Larry Smith and was a senior in Larry’s final year. Lindy Infante left before Larry Smith actually left. Smith was mad about it as well. Infante left during spring ball in 1980 to take a job as OC for the Bengals. Cincinnati was very attractive to him because they had a great facility for special needs kids as Lindy had a special need kid. Larry Smith left Tulane shortly after in May 1980 to go to AZ. Months later Vince Gibson was hired as Infante had already settled in at Cincy. He wasn’t interested at that point. Now 1983 is a different story. Infante actually wanted the Tulane job and was in serious negotiations with Dr Hindman Wall. It was a Friday night and his NFL team was about to travel to play at San Francisco and he told Wall he wanted to think about it over the weekend after his game. Wall said that was fine. After the game he decided he wanted the job so he called Wall either Sunday night or Monday morning and Wall’s son answered the phone. He told Lindy his dad was in the living room offering the job to Wally English. Asked if he wanted to leave a message, Lindy replied no thanks. Bye.
And folks that’s exactly how it went down. This information came right from Lindy Infante.
TPS, for an interview published in The Town Talk from Alexandria, Louisiana February 1, 1982 Lindy Infante strongly suggests he would have taken the Tulane job if offered in 1980:

The Town Talk from Alexandria, Louisiana February 1, 1982: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/215867159/

Infante had accepted an attractive job offer to be an assistant coach at Cincinnati early in 1980. "The fact that I left Tulane, I'm sure they used that against me," said Infante. "But I can't imagine people not wanting someone to advance themselves, and that's what I was doing by taking this job. I had no way of knowing Larry (Smith) wasn't going to be there, and I knew as long as Larry was there I wasn't going to be head coach. "I was looking to advance myself in my profession," he continued "The pay raise was substantial, plus you take the $23,000 we got this year for going to the Super BowL You can't pass it up." Infante said however, he didn't bear any grudges against Tulane for not hiring him. "I don't hold it against them," he said "Hindman (Wall) and Vince (Gibson) are friends," he said, referring to Tulane's athletic director and the man he hired instead as head coach. "I can understand him (Wall) wanting to hire someone he knew well and knew he could work with. Anyway, there are a lot of qualified assistants out there who haven't been given head coaching jobs."

And TPS, at the time of the Rodriquez debacle in 1998 I couldn't help but be reminded of the quote of George Santayana, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
Wave755
Tsunami

TPS, the above is the way I remember it (so very long ago) and your Dad ends his 1980 book quoting a Wave fan as saying in Gibson we hired a proven loser.

Gibson was a great guy, but I have always felt Hindman Wall put his friendship with Gibson over the interest of the university for his decision not to hire Infante.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:TPS, the above is the way I remember it (so very long ago) and your Dad ends his 1980 book quoting a Wave fan as saying in Gibson we hired a proven loser.

Gibson was a great guy, but I have always felt Hindman Wall put his friendship with Gibson over the interest of the university for his decision not to hire Infante.
Yes.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

zzzzz...
Wave755
Tsunami

:headstand:
MicMan wrote:zzzzz...
wave97
Swell

Why was Arizona was looking to replace the football staff in May of 1980? What future assistant coaches came from that 1979 Arizona staff?
Wave755
Tsunami

wave97 wrote:
Why was Arizona was looking to replace the football staff in May of 1980? What future assistant coaches came from that 1979 Arizona staff?
Thinking back about a million years, in April 1980 Arizona fired its coach Tony Mason after NCAA sanctions for a payola scandal (sanctions of no bowl appearances for 2 years and other things). Smith was a DC for Arizona in the 1970s so they went after him. By April Infante had already left for the NFL Bengals which really pissed Wall off since Infante was our OC as well in 1976 but then after only one season left for the NJ Giants to then return back to us as OC for the1979 season. Pretty sure I have this right. :confused: