Tulane beats SLU 89-66

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The Wave takes on SLU at 7 tomorrow night. The game is on Cox Sports Television, channel 1037, locally.

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/11 ... night.aspx

SLU is picked to come in 3rd in the Southland. They have a good PG in Veal. Our defense will be tested.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wave leads 44-36 at the half
Ruski
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:Wave leads 44-36 at the half
woof! I turned it to MNF when it was 30-15. What happened?
msdos
Swell

Ruski wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:Wave leads 44-36 at the half
woof! I turned it to MNF when it was 30-15. What happened?
We won by 20+

My knowledge of basketball is the lowest of the 3 majors, but from my view we didn't look like garbage.
galvezwave
Swell

89-66. Tulane eased up a bit late in the first half and made it look somewhat competitive on the scoreboard. But had control of it and blew it back open early in the 2nd and closed the door. I sort of lost interest hanging with my daughters but they shot really well in the first half. Seem to enjoy sharing the ball and getting each other involved. Fraizer had a wicked windmill dunk. We are a much much better team from last year. Don't know how many we will win, but we will be a handful in the AAC for a lot of teams
galvezwave
Swell

Somebody needs to fix those Sudanese boys a pot or 2 of etoufee. Extra cream.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Below.
Last edited by Houma de Wave on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Houma de Wave wrote:Tulane shot 59.6% from the field...31-for-52.
galvezwave
Swell

Houma de Wave wrote:
Houma de Wave wrote:Tulane shot 59.6% from the field...31-for-52.
Yeah, that'll win games
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad to see us win it the way we should.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Random observations:
  • Melvin Frazier had an absolutely phenomenal game: 25 pts and 10 or 11 rebounds.
  • Cam Reynolds got in foul trouble early and did not figure into the game. He did score 13 points.
  • Sehic had a rock solid game. In only 11 minutes of playing time, he scored 12 points including 10 FTs out of 10 attempts.
  • Blake Paul had eight blocks. EIGHT! Tied a school record.
  • Caleb Daniels was still a little gimpy from a sprained ankle and didn't play much. He did however hit a beautiful three from the corner. He's gonna be good.
  • Dunleavy went to the bench for the last several minutes of the game or the score may have reached the century mark for the second game in a row.
  • As was mentioned earlier, Koka saw his first floor time. He looks like he may be a rebounding machine in another year.
  • It was fun watching Marlin Veal from Southeastern play the game. He's 5'8", 145 pounds and scored well more than 20 points.
GreenLantern
Riptide

And one other thing... It was a decent crowd.

We may not be a .500 team in conference play, but if you don't recognize that we are light years ahead of last season, you are not watching the game. If our football team had improved as much, the morale on this forum would be much better. The crowds at the games would also be much better.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755
Tsunami

:shakingno: No coverage at all for this game on WWL tonight, a real insult to both Tulane & SLU.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just got home from the game. SELA has a fairly good club. Wouldn’t at all be surprised if they had a nice year. We are much improved in all areas. The new additions I like are Daniels, Sehic, and Cornish. The returning players have all shown significant improvement. We’re deep on the bench for this first time since the Posse day’s. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we had a winning season and perhaps an NIT bid. We are both physical and athletic. If we shoot the ball well then we are going to surprise some good teams down the road. Good road test in Jamaica with Colorado St coming up.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We play Colorado St. on Friday at 1 on CBSSN.
lurker123
Swell

Wave755 wrote::shakingno: No coverage at all for this game on WWL tonight, a real insult to both Tulane & SLU.
Nothing yet in NOLA either. It didn't even go to trouble of repackaging Tulane PR after the game which it could do for minimal cost. Both of these universities are in the primary N.O. media market and moreover SLU has 15,000 students. But hey it's not news if they don't cover it.

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/11 ... 89-66.aspx
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:We play Colorado St. on Friday at 1 on CBSSN.
Interesting choice. Tulane WBB plays Vandy at home on Friday midday as well. This looks like game Tulane can win. Baseball plays intersquad game at 940am that morning for you hardcore types. Combined with Houston football the next day, it will be a busy sports weekend.
JerseyWave
Riptide

This will easily be one of the best post Perry Clark Tulane teams. Talent, depth and coaching. Good ball movement and up tempo play. Guys like Frazier, Paul, Ona Embo are significantly improved. From where this program was a year ago til now I’ll be disappointed if they’re not a .500 team for the season. I would get out to Fogleman to watch. Tulane basketball is fun and competitive again!
netshorty
Surge

JerseyWave wrote:This will easily be one of the best post Perry Clark Tulane teams. Talent, depth and coaching.
I think this will get retweeted by WF citing examples of the early season blowout wins against Southern in year 1 and Grambling in year 2 as indicators of how much we've improved.

No doubt we look better but the size advantage we've had the first two games will disappear in conference. That's kinda the equivalent of us dominating the line of scrimmage in football against smaller teams. We can look really good when that happens. But when it doesn't?

There is reason for optimism. But I'd like us to play a good team before making post season predictions
JerseyWave
Riptide

I haven’t mentioned anything about the post season. We haven’t reached the NIT since Perry Clark left. I wouldn’t compare this to Fritz beating up on FCS teams. Watching football, Fritz has yet to improve the level of talent in the program and he’s running an offense that won’t succeed in the AAC. Dunleavy has improved the talent level by adding Cornish, Sehic and Daniels as well seeing significant improvement in the returning players. We are also running a legitimate NBA style offense. We shouldn’t be one of the AAC bottom feeders this year.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:I haven’t mentioned anything about the post season. We haven’t reached the NIT since Perry Clark left. I wouldn’t compare this to Fritz beating up on FCS teams. Watching football, Fritz has yet to improve the level of talent in the program and he’s running an offense that won’t succeed in the AAC. Dunleavy has improved the talent level by adding Cornish, Sehic and Daniels as well seeing significant improvement in the returning players. We are also running a legitimate NBA style offense. We shouldn’t be one of the AAC bottom feeders this year.
I agree. Dunleavy has this team playing up to their talent level. They really share the ball well and get a lot of open looks. I’m anxious to see how we compete in the league. That will be the real tell.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:We play Colorado St. on Friday at 1 on CBSSN.
Interesting choice. Tulane WBB plays Vandy at home on Friday midday as well. This looks like game Tulane can win. Baseball plays intersquad game at 940am that morning for you hardcore types. Combined with Houston football the next day, it will be a busy sports weekend.
Baseball World Series Game is Saturday at 9:40 followed by football at 3:00
netshorty
Surge

JerseyWave wrote:I haven’t mentioned anything about the post season. We haven’t reached the NIT since Perry Clark left. I wouldn’t compare this to Fritz beating up on FCS teams. Watching football, Fritz has yet to improve the level of talent in the program and he’s running an offense that won’t succeed in the AAC. Dunleavy has improved the talent level by adding Cornish, Sehic and Daniels as well seeing significant improvement in the returning players. We are also running a legitimate NBA style offense. We shouldn’t be one of the AAC bottom feeders this year.
Sorry mixed together your quote on best team since Clark and TPS's wouldn't be surprised to make NIT. Both of which could be true but in no way do I think our first two games could possibly be an indicator.

I absolutely would compare the early football success to the early basketball success. We thought we had upgraded our QB (aka improved talent at the most important position) and had possibly turned the corner after a few games. No need to remind you how disappointing the season has been thus far.

We are so hungry for one of our teams to be a winner that after playing two mediocre-at-best teams at home we think we've turned the corner here as well? I get the need for that to be true, i just can't come to the same conclusion as you guys yet.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I don't think anyone is guaranteeing a post-season appearance. I am saying that anyone who fails to see a dramatic improvement is not watching the games. We've got very promising additions (Cornish and Sehic). We've got a good incoming freshman class (Koka, Barrett, Daniels, Ajang). Our returning players are leaner, faster, and more accurate shooters (e.g. Blake Paul). The result? Our bench is much deeper. To wit, this time a year ago Sammis Reyes was getting significant playing time in every game. In the first two games this season, he has been on the floor only in the last couple minutes of last night's game (about the same as Riley Conroy). Von Julien averaged 20 minutes per game in his first season and had he not transferred, I doubt he would see any playing time.

In our scheduled 18 conference games, I feel that I am wildly optimistic by predicting a 6-12 record. I don't think that will get us into the NIT, but it will be a helluva lot better than last year and should give everyone hope that Coach Dunleavy is turning the program around. I'm ready for a little hope. I don't apologize for the reckless optimism. I think we've been kicked in the teeth for so long in so many sports that we are reluctant to acknowledge a positive trend when we see it.

Why not get everyone on the record and start a new thread: Basketball Prediction for Conference Play.