Wave beats LIU Brooklyn 102-96

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The season starts tonight. They are picked to finish 7th in the 10 team Northeastern Conference. Lost several of their best players from last year. They have a new coach who had previously been the HC at UMASS for 9 years.

We should be better of course coming off a 6 win season. The offense won't have to be reliant on just Reynolds. Cornish, Sehic and Daniels are new players who should be able to help give balance to the team. Embo and Slater look like they could contribute more on that end this season. The questions are defense and rebounding. It wasn't encouraging to see that small NAIA guard slice through our D for layups multiple times. The rebounding is also still a problem. Sehic is like a lot of big guys these days that don't want to play down low. Paul will tease by flashing potential but he needs to really step it up and become consistent on a nightly basis. Not sure if he's capable of that. Frazier continues to be more athlete than basketball player. He had several open midrange shots against Loyola and just can't hit them. He'll give us his usual good defense and will help on the bards but it would be a huge help if he could start shooting consistently.

Dunleavy still needs to show he gets the game at this level. He's got more to work with this year and he's had a year to knock the rust off and adjust to college players. The team should at a minimum be more fun to watch as the offense will be noticeably improved.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
lurker123
Swell

SWAG is a winning season but I'm not running to Vegas. Team should win 10+ regardless. Team could easily be Top 10 in team scoring at 80 ppg and Bottom 3rd in scoring defense at 75 ppg. It has depth to maintain high pace throughout. No Conroy ball this season.

The two S. Sudanese frosh obviously need more mass but if nothing else if they mix it up underneath, they will give Tulane 15 fouls to protect the rim including Paul. With the decline of overall FT shooting, it's an odd sort of "defense" but limiting teams to one point some of the time instead of twos and threes underneath could swing a couple of victories to the Wave.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The game tonight is on ESPN3. The Blackbirds lost three starters from last year including their conference (Northeast Conference) player of the year. But they have one of their best players from 15-16 returning after taking a medical redshirt last year. They're picked to finish 6th in a 1 bid conference. If we don't win by 20+, something is wrong.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bigschtick
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:The game tonight is on ESPN3. The Blackbirds lost three starters from last year including their conference (Northeast Conference) player of the year. But they have one of their best players from 15-16 returning after taking a medical redshirt last year. They're picked to finish 6th in a 1 bid conference. If we don't win by 20+, something is wrong.

What time Eastern? Thanks
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Well, if it's 7 CST, that would be 8 EST.

Interesting story about our two transfers. Sehic and Cornish have known each other since competing against one another at 8 years old!

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/11 ... s-off.aspx

Sure would be a huge step in the right direction to at least approach .500 in conference and over .500 overall.
Houma de Wave
Swell

I love college basketball...BRING IT! You have to be a bit more encouraged knowing we don’t rely on a one trick pony (Reynolds) for scoring. Improved talent on this team, but let’s hope MD can coach them up even further this season.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Well if I knew it was 7 central, I could have figured it out. Now I figure its going to be 5 pm on the west coast. thanks
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote:Well if I knew it was 7 central, I could have figured it out. Now I figure its going to be 5 pm on the west coast. thanks
I know, 'schtick. I was saying it tongue in cheek. Good job on the math for PST start time! :D
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:Well if I knew it was 7 central, I could have figured it out. Now I figure its going to be 5 pm on the west coast. thanks
I know, 'schtick. I was saying it tongue in cheek. Good job on the math for PST start time! :D
Now do Hawaii and Alaska. :mrgreen:
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bigschtick
Riptide

If I had any math skills, I would have gone to medical school, not law school! Anybody know if cbssn streams?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It does.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thus far it looks like the same lousy Tulane basketball team. Quick three point shots and not making any! 13-4 LIU. They do the little things, like box out and go hard to the hoop. The only difference is at least Dunleavy didn't wait until it was a 15 or 20 point deficit to call timeout. It's not even the first media break!

We have a HUGE height advantage (and no, the big Frosh are not playing) and yet we take rushed and unsettled 3 point shots trip after trip down the floor. SIT THEM DOWN and get the guys that can go to the rim or at least feed the post once or twice before rushing a 3 with 25 seconds left on the clock. THUS FAR, this offense is almost as tough to watch as football. We'll still win going away, but we don't look very good.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ok, it's 52-38 at the half. I'll take it. It's a lot more fun to watch when some of the 3 pointers start falling. But this will get us KILLED in the AAC if we continue to run and chuck 3 point shots. I liked how we started to work the ball down low later in the half, and even took a few shots away from the rim but inside the arc. We were 6-16 from 3 when we took the lead and got it to 10 (a 20 point swing) and then started to work the ball and attack the rim.

I still don't like how we attack the offensive rim, and we don't block out as well as we could against this team on either end. Our height has been a minimal advantage.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Its halftime. Dave, you shouldn't panic so soon. Wave leads 52-38 at half. Slater with 10pts, including 2-2 from beyond the arc. Samir Sehic has 9 pt and 9 boards. Reynolds with 13. And its halftime. We're outrebounding them as we should, 27-12, including 8 offensive boards. LIU-B has ZERO offensive RBs. 41% from beyond the arc as a team, 7-17
Not much not to like.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Houma de Wave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Its halftime. Dave, you shouldn't panic so soon. Wave leads 52-38 at half. Slater with 10pts, including 2-2 from beyond the arc. Samir Sehic has 9 pt and 9 boards. Reynolds with 13. And its halftime. We're outrebounding them as we should, 27-12, including 8 offensive boards. LIU-B has ZERO offensive RBs. 41% from beyond the arc as a team, 7-17
Not much not to like.
Excellent post, RobertM.
Show Me
Tsunami

REality check. Waves squeaks it out 102-96 NBA Defense. Lucky we didn’t play UNO tonight.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Got a bit crazy near the end but Tulane wins 102-96. Both teams shot 50% from the field. We did outrebound them 46-32. 37.5% from three
RobertM320
Green Wave

Defense needs to tighten up. Gave up a lot of points in the paint on layups. I like Sehic. 17Pts and 14 boards.
JerseyWave
Riptide

This looks like one of the better Tulane basketball teams of the post Perry Clark era. We have depth and versatility. Many of the guys look much improved over a year ago. Cornish and Sehic are much better than Morgan and Smith. Ona Embo looks much better. Frazier worked on his outside shooting. Looks like they are running a real offense. Last 5 minutes of the LIU game were rough. Bad defense and poor shot selection. This team is worth watching and should at least double last year’s win total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I noticed Caleb Daniels didn't play at all today. I wonder why? He looked pretty good in the exhibitions.
GreenLantern
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:I noticed Caleb Daniels didn't play at all today. I wonder why? He looked pretty good in the exhibitions.
Must be a minor injury. Coach Dunleavy stated that Daniel's game would have been perfectly suited to combat the quickness of the smaller LIU players and that he was missed.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Whew. Glad we held on and got the the W. Started off bad then got it together. Good ball movement and many guys contributing. It was nice to see Sehic go down low and get some buckets and take advantage of the height differential. It was good to see Frazier attack the goal too. Someone above said he improved his outside shot. I believe all of his points came on dunks and layups. He again got several open midrange looks and came close a couple of times but he didn't them. He does help some on defense with his quickness and athleticism. However clearly as a team something needs to be done and done ASAP about our interior D. They keep getting asked about it and they say the right things but it needs to be truly addressed and fixed or we will waste a potentially good season. IF the D improved just to average this could be an NIT team. Glad to see us withstand the run at the end.
lurker123
Swell

Show Me wrote:REality check. Waves squeaks it out 102-96 NBA Defense. Lucky we didn’t play UNO tonight.
No since we play NBA defense lucky we didn't play an NBA team. BTW St. John's beat UNO tonight "comfortably." What makes you think the result would have been any different playing Tulane tonight? Because they beat Tulane last year? Well then two can play this: UNO was lucky Sehic and Cornish had to sit that game out.

Sorry but I don't get your beef. Tulane won tonight. Do you feel you didn't get your the worth of your ticket price? Did you go?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave loses this game last year. Sehic and Cornish are the difference makers. Great FT shooting at the end. The team is improved but we won’t know by how much until league play starts. Defense needs to get its act together. We should have held that team to 70 or less.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981