Wave sweeps Loyola in Basketball Exhibition games

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

The women's game is at 5:00 and the men play at 7:00. Admission is free. Hope to see you there.
NEW ORLEANS - The Tulane men's basketball team will get a final tune-up before officially tipping off its 2017-18 regular season, hosting its neighbor across Freret Street, Loyola New Orleans, in an exhibition game on Thursday, November 2. The contest is scheduled for 7 p.m., in Avron B. Fogelman Arena in the Devlin Fieldhouse following the conclusion of the women's game at 5 p.m.

HISTORY LESSON
Tulane and Loyola will meet in an exhibition matchup for the fifth year in a row with the Green Wave coming out on top in each of the last four meetings by an average margin of over 26 points per game. The programs met as regular-season foes in December of 2012. Last season, Tulane cruised to an 80-58 victory behind 20 points and eight rebounds by Melvin Frazier as well as 18 points, eight boards and six assists by Malik Morgan.

GreenLantern
Riptide

Women looking a little rusty. Tulane leading 27-20 at the half.

A respectable number of folks here early for the ladies game.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Final score: Tulane wins 78-48 with lead extended by 3 point shooting.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Way to go, Wave! 30-point Win is what one would expect. Can’t wait to see this team in action.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Men lead 47-23 at the half. This team is light years ahead of where we were last year at the start of the season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Men up at half 47-23
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Koka (7-0 big man from Sudan) did not dress because of a meniscus problem.

Blake Paul doesn’t look like the same player. Leaner. Faster. More involved.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Final 84-46
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Nice to finally see us handle them the way we should. We have a lot of athleticism. Fun to see Ajang make a hook shot. He's got good hands. He will develop and it will be sooner than later. The team is really moving the ball. We still need work on the inside. Paul missed several gimme's that should have been made over the shorter competition. Their 5'10" point guard was quick and he got to the goal too easily. We are clearly going to be better and if we can do something to get better inside we could really surprise people.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Here are a few random observations about tonight's game.
  • There is an enormous difference in conditioning compared to last year at this time.. Everyone seems to be in much better condition. Everyone, that is, except Dunleavy. He's been eating too much etouffee.
  • The last four minutes of the game was played with four walk-ons or there would have been an even bigger margin of victory.
  • I think Caleb Daniels is going to be very, very good. His 10 pts trailed only Sehic's 11.
  • Ajang had a couple of very impressive dunks and some strong rebounds. There's a lot more meat on his frame than on Koka's.
  • One of the grad assistant's told me that Koka should dress for the next game.
  • The Jesuit kid from Loyola, Chase Eckholdt, scored 19 and was very impressive.
  • I'm not saying that we will have a .500 conference record, but there is a far greater chance than we had last year. Dunleavy has the program moving in the right direction.
  • The Tulane women are playing Univ of South Alabama on Sunday at 6pm. Tickets are $5 and the proceeds go toward hurricane relief. It would be nice if there were a good turnout.
lurker123
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:Here are a few random observations about tonight's game.
  • There is an enormous difference in conditioning compared to last year at this time.. Everyone seems to be in much better condition. Everyone, that is, except Dunleavy. He's been eating too much etouffee.
  • The last four minutes of the game was played with four walk-ons or there would have been an even bigger margin of victory.
  • I think Caleb Daniels is going to be very, very good. His 10 pts trailed only Sehic's 11.
  • Ajang had a couple of very impressive dunks and some strong rebounds. There's a lot more meat on his frame than on Koka's.
  • One of the grad assistant's told me that Koka should dress for the next game.
  • The Jesuit kid from Loyola, Chase Eckholdt, scored 19 and was very impressive.
  • I'm not saying that we will have a .500 conference record, but there is a far greater chance than we had last year. Dunleavy has the program moving in the right direction.
  • The Tulane women are playing Univ of South Alabama on Sunday at 6pm. Tickets are $5 and the proceeds go toward hurricane relief. It would be nice if there were a good turnout.
Good summary. Watching the last eight minutes of the game, I thought a 1970s NBA "Players' League" game had broken out on Digby Playground.

Considering that a couple of Conroy teams actually had trouble with Loyola this was a refreshing exhibition in that game and result reflected as it should difference in talent levels.

As well as difference in conditioning, I would note difference in shooting. Reynolds was cold last night and it didn't matter. Others including Sehic easily picked up the slack. Big change from last few years.
lurker123
Swell

One other quick point: coaching matters. MD is not blowing smoke when he says his staff and he will coach up these players especially those interested in the next level. Interestingly current team is mostly a combo of Louisiana-connected and foreign players. Meanwhile there are alot of good upcoming local D1 prospects over the next several classes. I hope they come to games this year and see again what coaching can do. I know UL mess proves stranglehold of AAU/shoe "fixers" on high level D1 recruiting but maybe some of these folks will believe their lying eyes and consider Tulane and not just knee jerk dismiss us.
oliveandblue
Surge

I'm starting to think we're a few fieldhouse updates from being a basketball school. The hoops team is recruiting internationally, hiring real coaches/recruiters, and ACTUALLY HAS A DECENT PRACTICE FACILITY!!!

If Fogelman could get to 5-6k seats, I'd be even more optimistic.