Tulane crushed by Memphis 56-26

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
puffy
Surge

There's a big talent deficit. That's always hard to overcome.

nowave
Ripple

RobertM320 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Those are good points . But I honestly believe we wouldn't see the gnashing of teeth if we lost 27-21, looked like a college outfit in the first 2 quarters. Didn't attempt to tackle with our head only. Not give up an 11 yard run with all 11 players hanging on the running back. Not miss an easy 90 yard touchdown throw and then follow it up with the snap hitting the motion guy inside the 5......there's a dozen more
I 100% agree. We looked awful yesterday. And I have faith that WF will make the changes necessary. Unlike the NFL/NBA etc, you can't just get new players mid-season or via free agency. It takes time. Don't forget, one of the big knocks of CJs recruiting was that he wasn't necessarily getting players with the highest FB IQ. A significant part of our team is still made up of those players.
cj was not a good recruiter. but 7 of our 11 offensive starters vs memphis were recruited and signed by fritz including some juco transfers. and fritz is supposed to be some sort of an offensive mastermind. couple those two facts and im going to lay the blame on the guy who is getting paid a boatload to fix things, not coaches from years past. its time to start holding the present people involved with this program accountable.
GreenLantern
Riptide

To keep hypertension at bay and to preserve (restore) our mental health, we should enact the 24 hour rule. For 24 hours after game's end, we should curse, blame, scream, engage in you-a-culpa and character assassination, and in general incriminate everyone to lessen our misery. I don't know if this is truly cathartic but it seems to feel right.

Twenty-four hours later, we would be well-served to move on and look forward. We've got homecoming week to anticipate and it should be a winnable game. In golf, we have a saying: you can curse and feel sorry for yourself until you put the club in your bag and then it's time for amnesia.

I've got about 5 more hours to elegize the Memphis game. I can take comfort in the fact that they may have humiliated us, but they still have to go home to Memphis.
Wave QB
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
wave to em wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:I said it before, and I will say it again.

We should have stayed in C-USA! We are a paper C-USA team trapped in the American Athletic Conference. Until we get the coaches, facilities and school commitments we need to be a major player in FBS football, we need to stick to 2013 type football schedules. I would rather watch us play in the Bud's Broiler Bowl vs a 7-8 win Sun Belt team in December vs sitting at home after a 2-4 game winning season.

Eaglewave? What's up with your boy Frtiz? We looked like an Army football team of the early 2000's vs Memphis! God!
And you're wrong again. That's right out of the Dickson playbook. All we would be there is at the bottom of CUSA. We'd be better off giving up athletics than to take yet another step down.
I haven't been wrong at all. In 2013, we made it to a bowl game. Since then, we have been overmatched in a conference that is more serious about major football than we are. I am glad you are enjoying these 3 and 4 win seasons. We are not an AAC caliber program. We should have stayed in C-USA until we proved that we could bring in the right staff in to dominate it.
Soooo, we shouldn't go to a better league because its harder? in that case, lets just drop to d3.
i would so much rather be in the AAC winning 4-5 games than be a 6 or 7 win CUSA team. the league you play in matters and the AAC is somewhat respected nationally, CUSA on the other hand, not at all.
If you are happy about being a 4-5 winning AAC program over a 7 win Bowl eligible C-USA program, them you should be very encouraged or even excited about the Green Wave this season.
If we're not striving to raise the bar and elevate the program we need to quit playing. Im to the point that I don't care either way.
I am almost to that point as well.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:

We should have stayed in C-USA! We are a paper C-USA team trapped in the American Athletic Conference. Until we get the coaches, facilities and school commitments we need to be a major player in FBS football, we need to stick to 2013 type football schedules. I would rather watch us play in the Bud's Broiler Bowl vs a 7-8 win Sun Belt team in December vs sitting at home after a 2-4 game winning season.

Eaglewave? What's up with your boy Frtiz? We looked like an Army football team of the early 2000's vs Memphis! God!
And you're wrong again. That's right out of the Dickson playbook. All we would be there is at the bottom of CUSA. We'd be better off giving up athletics than to take yet another step down.
I haven't been wrong at all. In 2013, we made it to a bowl game. Since then, we have been overmatched in a conference that is more serious about major football than we are. I am glad you are enjoying these 3 and 4 win seasons. We are not an AAC caliber program. We should have stayed in C-USA until we proved that we could bring in the right staff in to dominate it.
Absolutely wrong. We eeked out that one minor bowl season against an incredibly weak schedule. Otherwise we were at the bottom of it too most years. Then if you think it through we don't have the same players or coaches if we were in CUSA. We would be recruiting and hiring to a lower level conference . Sorry but that is just foolish thinking.
We do have the same players and same coaches! Didn't you just witness us falling to FIU? Do you really believe that we have better recruits and coaches on our rosters than all C-USA teams? A few more 3 and 4 win seasons will wake you up and force you to see that we are still a C-USA caliber program.
Wrong as usual. We wouldn't have these players or this staff. We would be even worse.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

CUSA Bowl tie-ins:
The Boca Raton Bowl versus the American
The Gasparilla Bowl versus the American
The New Mexico Bowl versus Mountain West
The Bahamas Bowl versus Mid-American
The New Orleans Bowl versus Sun Belt
The Armed Forces Bowl versus Army if eligible

AAC Bowl tie-ins:
The Birmingham Bowl versus SEC
The Gasparilla Bowl versus C-USA
The Frisco Bowl versus At-large
The Military Bowl versus ACC
The Hawaii Bowl versus Mountain West
The Boca Raton Bowl versus Conference USA
The Cure Bowl versus Sun Belt

Conditional Secondary-Agreements

The Liberty Bowl The American fills unused slot if SEC or Big 12 does not fill its slot
The Independence Bowl Conference USA or the American fills unused slot if ACC or SEC does not fill its slot (both have backup agreements).

No question we rather be in the AAC.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:

Absolutely wrong. We eeked out that one minor bowl season against an incredibly weak schedule. Otherwise we were at the bottom of it too most years. Then if you think it through we don't have the same players or coaches if we were in CUSA. We would be recruiting and hiring to a lower level conference . Sorry but that is just foolish thinking.
We do have the same players and same coaches! Didn't you just witness us falling to FIU? Do you really believe that we have better recruits and coaches on our rosters than all C-USA teams? A few more 3 and 4 win seasons will wake you up and force you to see that we are still a C-USA caliber program.
Wrong as usual. We wouldn't have these players or this staff. We would be even worse.
What players? What coaches? Name them? You are blind. We just lost to FIU! Where are these AAC talented players and coaches that would have prevented us taking that beating from the Panthers? Then again, you were one of those guys who thought it was a great idea to keep allowing Tanner Lee to throw away games for us as long as he was getting experience to help him in the future. I am not shocked. Keep enjoying the 2017 season. I am right and the program continues to prove that we aren't a AAC caliber program. What's our conference record again since this "so called" step up to the AAC? We are a C-USA talented program. Like it or not. Maybe these losses will keep drilling this fact down your throat.
Wave QB
Swell

Pepper wrote:CUSA Bowl tie-ins:

AAC Bowl tie-ins:

The Liberty Bowl The American fills unused slot if SEC or Big 12 does not fill its slot
The Independence Bowl Conference USA or the American fills unused slot if ACC or SEC does not fill its slot (both have backup agreements).

I am not debating that one conference has a little more " Cologne " than the other. I am just making the point that we weren't ready to make the move and our record proves it. Programs move up when they had faith in their administration and coaching staff. We still have plenty of questions of what our coach, AD, and president can do for Tulane. We moved up when their were many questions of how long those former men with those titles would even hang around at Tulane. It's wasn't a good time.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:

What players? What coaches? Name them? You are blind. We just lost to FIU! Where are these AAC talented players and coaches that would have prevented us taking that beating from the Panthers? Then again, you were one of those guys who thought it was a great idea to keep allowing Tanner Lee to throw away games for us as long as he was getting experience to help him in the future. I am not shocked. Keep enjoying the 2017 season. I am right and the program continues to prove that we aren't a AAC caliber program. What's our conference record again since this "so called" step up to the AAC? We are a C-USA talented program. Like it or not. Maybe these losses will keep drilling this fact down your throat.
Wrong yet again. We would be recruiting lesser players than even what we have now and we would still be at the bottom of CUSA like we used to be. You keep holding onto that magical 2013 season and pining for CJ's return. :roll: As for Tanner he was the best of what we had. You keep hating on him and ignoring the real problems with the program.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

So you're saying Tulane should have ignored the call from the big east? My god, man!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Exactly. You don't get to pick and choose when you move up. So you take the opportunity when it presents itself. If we would have waited till we were supposedly ready we would have seen our program shut down as a member of CUSA.
Wavetime
Swell

nowave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Those are good points . But I honestly believe we wouldn't see the gnashing of teeth if we lost 27-21, looked like a college outfit in the first 2 quarters. Didn't attempt to tackle with our head only. Not give up an 11 yard run with all 11 players hanging on the running back. Not miss an easy 90 yard touchdown throw and then follow it up with the snap hitting the motion guy inside the 5......there's a dozen more
I 100% agree. We looked awful yesterday. And I have faith that WF will make the changes necessary. Unlike the NFL/NBA etc, you can't just get new players mid-season or via free agency. It takes time. Don't forget, one of the big knocks of CJs recruiting was that he wasn't necessarily getting players with the highest FB IQ. A significant part of our team is still made up of those players.
cj was not a good recruiter. but 7 of our 11 offensive starters vs memphis were recruited and signed by fritz including some juco transfers. and fritz is supposed to be some sort of an offensive mastermind. couple those two facts and im going to lay the blame on the guy who is getting paid a boatload to fix things, not coaches from years past. its time to start holding the present people involved with this program accountable.

I'm not trying to bash the point you made about 7 of the 11 offensive starters being signed by Fritz. However, he was recruiting with CJ's record.
Wavetime
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
Pepper wrote:CUSA Bowl tie-ins:

AAC Bowl tie-ins:

I am not debating that one conference has a little more " Cologne " than the other. I am just making the point that we weren't ready to make the move and our record proves it. Programs move up when they had faith in their administration and coaching staff. We still have plenty of questions of what our coach, AD, and president can do for Tulane. We moved up when their were many questions of how long those former men with those titles would even hang around at Tulane. It's wasn't a good time.

I disagree with you about when programs move up. Programs move up when they get the call. Usually conferences don't take the best program at that time, they pick the overall best fit that has the best potential. That potential includes many things such as TV Market, academic reputation, athletic program success, etc. CUSA and the MWC didn't merge like Cowen wanted so he made a few calls and was able to get us into the Big East, now the American after the split. Let's be happy and play up to the conference that we are in. Yeah, our talent is more CUSA level then AAC now, but what about ECU, UCONN, etc. We may be down, but were not last. I do believe that we have the potential to play competitive football and basketball in this conference. We have an athletic friendly President, Board and Courses for the first time in many years. Let's let it play out.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:

Wrong yet again. We would be recruiting lesser players than even what we have now and we would still be at the bottom of CUSA like we used to be. You keep holding onto that magical 2013 season and pining for CJ's return. :roll: As for Tanner he was the best of what we had. You keep hating on him and ignoring the real problems with the program.
Thank you winwave for keeping reason in the discussion. For anyone to suggest we would be better off in CUSA, as opposed to the AAC, is absolute insanity.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

To a certain extent, both sides are correct. On one hand, Tulane would not have the current recruits committed to it right now if it were in CUSA, and, on the other hand, most, if not all, of the CUSA programs could not defend Fritz's offense even if Fritz had to deal with lesser recruits. The latter raises the question as to whether Tulane would have still attempted to hire Fritz or if Fritz would have wanted to come here if Tulane was still in CUSA, and it is impossible to determine the answer to that.
Jaxwave
Swell

I have no doubt that whatever conference we are in from Sunbelt to SEC, we would find the bottom. The realization that the Tulane administration has never and will never commit to a good athletic program is pretty slow in coming to some of you even after 60 years of pretty clear evidence.
anEngineer
Riptide

There's a LOT of complaining from many of the usual suspects on this site about Tulane's record, coaching, administration, fans, etc, etc, etc. Let's take a realistic look at what this team has experienced in the last 2 months. Four of the 8 teams they have played are currently 7-1; Grambling was a win. Three of them are 5-2 or 6-2; Army was a win. Only Tulsa has a losing record (2-7) and Tulane blew them off the field. It's not like Tulane is losing to shabby competition. Tulane is still largely under-manned in numbers, size and speed; but it's getting closer. It's obvious many just like complaining, maybe they are self-loathers or don't really even like Tulane Athletics. I don't know and don't really care. This program and administration are going in a positive direction and that's all you can ask considering where we have been. Can't we just watch for a while and see where this takes us?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote:There's a LOT of complaining from many of the usual suspects on this site about Tulane's record, coaching, administration, fans, etc, etc, etc. Let's take a realistic look at what this team has experienced in the last 2 months. Four of the 8 teams they have played are currently 7-1; Grambling was a win. Three of them are 5-2 or 6-2; Army was a win. Only Tulsa has a losing record (2-7) and Tulane blew them off the field. It's not like Tulane is losing to shabby competition. Tulane is still largely under-manned in numbers, size and speed; but it's getting closer. It's obvious many just like complaining, maybe they are self-loathers or don't really even like Tulane Athletics. I don't know and don't really care. This program and administration are going in a positive direction and that's all you can ask considering where we have been. Can't we just watch for a while and see where this takes us?
No doubt everyone knew the schedule would be tougher this year. However the frustration comes from the lack of improvement week to week. The concern for most is the regression that has taken place week to week. More penalties, more special team mistakes, defense still can’t stop anyone that can pass. Coaches getting out coached and out prepared. You can’t start out falling behind by 4 to 5 TD’s and feel good about what’s happening inspite of the record of our competition. I had us 3-5 at this point but I’m disappointed at the way we’ve arrived at it.
Cincy has lost 5 straight and are bad. We’ve beaten them 6 out of the last 8 times. We should crush them. Anything less and I’ll be disappointed. We can’t afford an FIU performance.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
anEngineer wrote:There's a LOT of complaining from many of the usual suspects on this site about Tulane's record, coaching, administration, fans, etc, etc, etc. Let's take a realistic look at what this team has experienced in the last 2 months. Four of the 8 teams they have played are currently 7-1; Grambling was a win. Three of them are 5-2 or 6-2; Army was a win. Only Tulsa has a losing record (2-7) and Tulane blew them off the field. It's not like Tulane is losing to shabby competition. Tulane is still largely under-manned in numbers, size and speed; but it's getting closer. It's obvious many just like complaining, maybe they are self-loathers or don't really even like Tulane Athletics. I don't know and don't really care. This program and administration are going in a positive direction and that's all you can ask considering where we have been. Can't we just watch for a while and see where this takes us?
No doubt everyone knew the schedule would be tougher this year. However the frustration comes from the lack of improvement week to week. The concern for most is the regression that has taken place week to week. More penalties, more special team mistakes, defense still can’t stop anyone that can pass. Coaches getting out coached and out prepared. You can’t start out falling behind by 4 to 5 TD’s and feel good about what’s happening inspite of the record of our competition. I had us 3-5 at this point but I’m disappointed at the way we’ve arrived at it.
Cincy has lost 5 straight and are bad. We’ve beaten them 6 out of the last 8 times. We should crush them. Anything less and I’ll be disappointed. We can’t afford an FIU performance.
This. If we go out this weekend and blow Cincy out, it will be a pretty good indication that we're now approaching middle of the pack in the AAC, which is far better than we were when CJ was here. But the penalties, special teams mistakes and the poor tackling HAS to get better. Early in the season we weren't having this problem.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
+1
Bigschtick
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote:I have no doubt that whatever conference we are in from Sunbelt to SEC, we would find the bottom. The realization that the Tulane administration has never and will never commit to a good athletic program is pretty slow in coming to some of you even after 60 years of pretty clear evidence.

You nailed it!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:I have no doubt that whatever conference we are in from Sunbelt to SEC, we would find the bottom. The realization that the Tulane administration has never and will never commit to a good athletic program is pretty slow in coming to some of you even after 60 years of pretty clear evidence.

You nailed it!
I personally think the Tulane Administration is in collusion with the Russians, speaking engagements need to be investigated, and all e mail servers need to be confiscated !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

From what I've seen, which is limited I'll admit, Friday night was the first time in the fritz era that the team appeared to not believe or buy in to what they were doing. 56 points against top 5 Oklahoma is 1 thing. 56 to Memphis is another. We should be better. I'm sorry. I can take a 2 score loss to Memphis, I'm a Tulane fan for Christ sakes. But we need some standards. Willie fritz is more frustrated than any of us. I'll hang my hat on the fact he knows what he's doing and will fix it. Losing the kids would not be good. We can only hope Cincinnati is as bad as advertised. They will have to be.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:To a certain extent, both sides are correct. On one hand, Tulane would not have the current recruits committed to it right now if it were in CUSA, and, on the other hand, most, if not all, of the CUSA programs could not defend Fritz's offense even if Fritz had to deal with lesser recruits. The latter raises the question as to whether Tulane would have still attempted to hire Fritz or if Fritz would have wanted to come here if Tulane was still in CUSA, and it is impossible to determine the answer to that.
A CUSA school, FIU, stopped it as well if not better than anybody else.
Ruski
Swell

Jeez we play one attrocious half of defense against a very good scoring offense and everyone freaks out!

1. Moving up to AAC was 100% the right move. Do you really want to be Rice?

2. We've lost to 2 really good teams back to back. USF should be much better if not for Strong. Memphis beat UCLA and would be a top 15 team if not for P5 bullshit. Don't let the FIU meltdown cloud your judgement. We are getting better overall. We were playing better a month ago, yes. But the program is still trending in the right direction. We've been celler dwellers for SO FREAKING LONG, even in CUSA! Being middle of the pack in a quality conference, which the AAC is, is an improvement.

3. The next 4 weeks will really tell the whole story. We need to win 3/4. If we do that it's a big step up. If we just beat Cincy and ECU, still an improvment. We'd be winning the games we're "supposed to", it's been a long while since we've done that. If we lose those games, well then signal the sirens and we're back to good ole Tulane.

If you switch the names and scores of USF and Memphis would there be this big outcry? It's the same as Tulsa and FIU the other week. We get all hyped up over expectations and names instead of just seeing this team for what it is. If we finish with 5/6 wins, we're exactly where everyone thought we'd be.
Last edited by Ruski on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.