Tulane crushed by Memphis 56-26

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

Pepper wrote:I'm telling you Nick Saban could not win here. I do believe we have winnable games left on the schedule and 6 would be a milestone but 5 looks more realistic.
Pepper, for Saban's first season at LSU in 2000 'Dem Tigggers lost their Homecoming game to UAB 13 to 10. After the game many of the LSU yahoos called for Saban's firing.

Pepper, LSU was right not to fire Saban. ;)
Last edited by Wave755 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galvezwave
Swell

Myself and others said before the season that we could be a better team and still finish with 4 or 5 wins , and we'd be ok with that. So here we are , record wise, right there. But we are a really bad football team in all phases and getting worse by the week. So disappointing. all I really wanted to get out of this season was hope that we're getting there. We Can't throw , catch, block, cover , tackle , kick or punt. Other than those we're pretty decent.
Wavetime
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:All good points. It becomes clearer each year that Tulane administration has no commitment to athletics.

That’s BS! There’s no indication that’s the case with The Board, Fitts or Dannen. More money is being pumped into Football than ever. We have Junior College players. Academics aren’t holding us back. Lots of damage was done by the Cow/Dick years. Our Coach runs a system that has set offensive football back 50 years. He doesn’t have a recruiter on his staff. Long way to go, but I can’t blame Fitts or Dannen yet. Next year Fritz has to be on the hot seat to show results.

We just don't have the athletes, period. You can point to many different things,,,,we don't have the athletes,,,,yet! I do think WF will succeed, but with so many years of losing it will take time.
+1, the game reminded me of a Toledo era game against Tulsa, we were "out athleted" at almost every position tonight made plain by our complete inability to make tackles even with on some downs 7 players having a shot.

I agree with the athletes. I thought that Memphis was faster and for the most part bigger. They won both lines of scrimmage and thus, controlled the game.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:Myself and others said before the season that we could be a better team and still finish with 4 or 5 wins , and we'd be ok with that. So here we are , record wise, right there. But we are a really bad football team in all phases and getting worse by the week. So disappointing. all I really wanted to get out of this season was hope that we're getting there. We Can't throw , catch, block, cover , tackle , kick or punt. Other than those we're pretty decent.
This. 100%. We are a bad, regressing, poor-tackling, badly-coached, schemeless football team.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Bigschtick
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Myself and others said before the season that we could be a better team and still finish with 4 or 5 wins , and we'd be ok with that. So here we are , record wise, right there. But we are a really bad football team in all phases and getting worse by the week. So disappointing. all I really wanted to get out of this season was hope that we're getting there. We Can't throw , catch, block, cover , tackle , kick or punt. Other than those we're pretty decent.
This. 100%. We are a bad, regressing, poor-tackling, badly-coached, schemeless football team.

and thats putting it so very diplomatically!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
GreenLantern
Riptide

...and another name choice: the Tulane Tampons because we can't last through a single period and there is no second string.

(I'm working on Improving my attitude. It'll be better by tomorrow and I'll be in Yulman screaming my head off by next Saturday.)
galvezwave
Swell

I watched til the end. Lots of laughing and smiling for post game handshakes . The biggest problem with the prior regime was that it was ok to lose because, well were Tulane and we do it different. Remember that? This still permeates the program. The losing doesn't bother these upperclassmen.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

With this type of embarrassing performance , some school AD's would be upset and at least leak that kind of feeling. Tulane seems to be of the kind that this is what we as fans are accustomed to. It's early in the Dannen years but his hires have shown NOTHING. Dannen needs to get angry and do whatever he can to somehow right this ship. Currently there is NO change and it appears that we are spinning our wheels in the mud while the fan base erodes. Troy Dannen do your job for the university and the fans.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I know everyone's upset with where we are. I'm definitely not happy with how we looked yesterday. I also have concerns that we're not progressng. Then again, no one is taking the time to put it in proper perspective. Sometimes it could just be the way the schedule is laid out. Some points.

We've lost 5 games. The five teams have a combined record of 30-6, with USF and OU not finished yet today. Three of the five are ALREADY bowl eligible, in October. The other two have five wins. Three of them are ranked. FIU just went on the road and beat the top CUSA team, Marshall. In fact, two of the three teams we've beaten also have 6 wins, and one is bowl eligible as well. So we've played 7 FBS teams, and 4 are bowl eligible already. By the time we're done, this schedule is going to have ended up with at least 7, maybe 8 TEAMS going to bowls. That's a far cry from the 2013 schedule.

The opponents the next three games have a combined record of 8-15, pending what UH does today. So far, at halftime they've got a TOTAL of 82 yards against USF and are losing. Cincy and ECU are nowhere close to the talent of every other school we've played this season, Grambling excepted. If we lose one of those two games, THEN we need to start being concerned.

Our goal this season was to be average, looking to go 6-6 and go to a bowl. If we had already played ECU and Cincy and still had OU and USF to go, we'd be feeling all happy at 5-3, and then crushed when we finished "only" 6-6. That's what happened in 2013.

Put where we are in perspective, and realize that by the end of the year, we'll be exactly where we hoped to be. TBH, in years to come, no ones going to ask how you looked, all they're going to care about is DID YOU WIN? And if we go 6-6, that's what we hoped for before the season, and its better than every team but two in the previous 17 seasons. As the Philadelphia 76ers say, "TRUST THE PROCESS".
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

Those are good points . But I honestly believe we wouldn't see the gnashing of teeth if we lost 27-21, looked like a college outfit in the first 2 quarters. Didn't attempt to tackle with our head only. Not give up an 11 yard run with all 11 players hanging on the running back. Not miss an easy 90 yard touchdown throw and then follow it up with the snap hitting the motion guy inside the 5......there's a dozen more
RobertM320
Green Wave

galvezwave wrote:Those are good points . But I honestly believe we wouldn't see the gnashing of teeth if we lost 27-21, looked like a college outfit in the first 2 quarters. Didn't attempt to tackle with our head only. Not give up an 11 yard run with all 11 players hanging on the running back. Not miss an easy 90 yard touchdown throw and then follow it up with the snap hitting the motion guy inside the 5......there's a dozen more
I 100% agree. We looked awful yesterday. And I have faith that WF will make the changes necessary. Unlike the NFL/NBA etc, you can't just get new players mid-season or via free agency. It takes time. Don't forget, one of the big knocks of CJs recruiting was that he wasn't necessarily getting players with the highest FB IQ. A significant part of our team is still made up of those players.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
TURVS71
Swell

I, IMO, don't like to justify losses based on the won-lost records of the opponents. In my book, that is an excuse. Year after year we do this. The fact is that we WERE NOT READY TO PLAY in the last 3 games and the result was 3 losses. Yes we are behind in talent but is has also become obvious that the coaching and the "readiness" of the team has been woeful at times. Very frustrating and at times, embarrassing.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I know everyone's upset with where we are. I'm definitely not happy with how we looked yesterday. I also have concerns that we're not progressng. Then again, no one is taking the time to put it in proper perspective. Sometimes it could just be the way the schedule is laid out. Some points.

We've lost 5 games. The five teams have a combined record of 30-6, with USF and OU not finished yet today. Three of the five are ALREADY bowl eligible, in October. The other two have five wins. Three of them are ranked. FIU just went on the road and beat the top CUSA team, Marshall. In fact, two of the three teams we've beaten also have 6 wins, and one is bowl eligible as well. So we've played 7 FBS teams, and 4 are bowl eligible already. By the time we're done, this schedule is going to have ended up with at least 7, maybe 8 TEAMS going to bowls. That's a far cry from the 2013 schedule.

The opponents the next three games have a combined record of 8-15, pending what UH does today. So far, at halftime they've got a TOTAL of 82 yards against USF and are losing. Cincy and ECU are nowhere close to the talent of every other school we've played this season, Grambling excepted. If we lose one of those two games, THEN we need to start being concerned.

Our goal this season was to be average, looking to go 6-6 and go to a bowl. If we had already played ECU and Cincy and still had OU and USF to go, we'd be feeling all happy at 5-3, and then crushed when we finished "only" 6-6. That's what happened in 2013.

Put where we are in perspective, and realize that by the end of the year, we'll be exactly where we hoped to be. TBH, in years to come, no ones going to ask how you looked, all they're going to care about is DID YOU WIN? And if we go 6-6, that's what we hoped for before the season, and its better than every team but two in the previous 17 seasons. As the Philadelphia 76ers say, "TRUST THE PROCESS".
We do have a good perspective. We've seen the way we have played and it is without question concerning. The only really good team we have played is OU. Throwing out teams records without the perspective of who they have played is misguided. Everyone knows USF has played nobody. As for the term Bowl eligible that's a joke. It carries no weight now that 78 teams make Bowl games. Marshall is not the best team in CUSA. They lost by 11 at home to FIU today. Which tells you that Butch Davis a good coach. He's better than Fritz and Fritz admitted that after the game.

Like I said above even if we get to 6-6 we won't be where many hoped. What people were looking for was HOW we played. We are playing poorly in all three phases. The process is not working at this point. Hopefully the staff figures things out and gets us back on track.

If you want perspective how about this. We lose Hilliard which is a big loss. People don't give him near the credit he deserves for making a lot out of so little. On defense we lose 8 starters. You think we don't have depth now wait till next year. We don't have a good kicker on the roster. Not looking good going forward.

BTW USF just lost so they may not be ranked any longer.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

TURVS71 wrote:I, IMO, don't like to justify losses based on the won-lost records of the opponents. In my book, that is an excuse. Year after year we do this. The fact is that we WERE NOT READY TO PLAY in the last 3 games and the result was 3 losses. Yes we are behind in talent but is has also become obvious that the coaching and the "readiness" of the team has been woeful at times. Very frustrating and at times, embarrassing.
TURVS, I will agree that the lack of readiness in these last three games has been disconcerting, especially since this had not been an issue so far in the WF era.
Show Me
Tsunami

WF has won only two conference games halfway through year 2. Not getting it done.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:I know everyone's upset with where we are. I'm definitely not happy with how we looked yesterday. I also have concerns that we're not progressng. Then again, no one is taking the time to put it in proper perspective. Sometimes it could just be the way the schedule is laid out. Some points.

All good points—thanks for talking us off the ledge.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:I said it before, and I will say it again.

We should have stayed in C-USA! We are a paper C-USA team trapped in the American Athletic Conference. Until we get the coaches, facilities and school commitments we need to be a major player in FBS football, we need to stick to 2013 type football schedules. I would rather watch us play in the Bud's Broiler Bowl vs a 7-8 win Sun Belt team in December vs sitting at home after a 2-4 game winning season.

Eaglewave? What's up with your boy Frtiz? We looked like an Army football team of the early 2000's vs Memphis! God!
And you're wrong again. That's right out of the Dickson playbook. All we would be there is at the bottom of CUSA. We'd be better off giving up athletics than to take yet another step down.
I haven't been wrong at all. In 2013, we made it to a bowl game. Since then, we have been overmatched in a conference that is more serious about major football than we are. I am glad you are enjoying these 3 and 4 win seasons. We are not an AAC caliber program. We should have stayed in C-USA until we proved that we could bring in the right staff in to dominate it.
wave to em
Surge

Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:

We should have stayed in C-USA! We are a paper C-USA team trapped in the American Athletic Conference. Until we get the coaches, facilities and school commitments we need to be a major player in FBS football, we need to stick to 2013 type football schedules. I would rather watch us play in the Bud's Broiler Bowl vs a 7-8 win Sun Belt team in December vs sitting at home after a 2-4 game winning season.

Eaglewave? What's up with your boy Frtiz? We looked like an Army football team of the early 2000's vs Memphis! God!
And you're wrong again. That's right out of the Dickson playbook. All we would be there is at the bottom of CUSA. We'd be better off giving up athletics than to take yet another step down.
I haven't been wrong at all. In 2013, we made it to a bowl game. Since then, we have been overmatched in a conference that is more serious about major football than we are. I am glad you are enjoying these 3 and 4 win seasons. We are not an AAC caliber program. We should have stayed in C-USA until we proved that we could bring in the right staff in to dominate it.
Soooo, we shouldn't go to a better league because its harder? in that case, lets just drop to d3.
i would so much rather be in the AAC winning 4-5 games than be a 6 or 7 win CUSA team. the league you play in matters and the AAC is somewhat respected nationally, CUSA on the other hand, not at all.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:

Absolutely wrong. We eeked out that one minor bowl season against an incredibly weak schedule. Otherwise we were at the bottom of it too most years. Then if you think it through we don't have the same players or coaches if we were in CUSA. We would be recruiting and hiring to a lower level conference . Sorry but that is just foolish thinking.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Exactly. A performance straight out of the Toledo Johnson playbook. Pathetic coaching, tackling, QBing, game planning and Special Teams.

BB begins in two weeks...…
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
anEngineer
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:
Exactly. A performance straight out of the Toledo Johnson playbook. Pathetic coaching, tackling, QBing, game planning and Special Teams.

BB begins in two weeks...…
This is ridiculous!! The last 2 weeks were the best 2 conference teams on the schedule. Regardless of Houston beating USF, the Bulls are a better team. You can't realistically say that proves that Tulane and Fritz stink. Stop looking for reasons to complain. This team has winnable conference games in front of them. That's where the take will be told. Winning 2 or 3 would get them finishing middle of conference and that would be quite an improvement. If they don't, then we can reflect on it. Team personnel is nowhere near where it will need to be yet.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:

Absolutely wrong. We eeked out that one minor bowl season against an incredibly weak schedule. Otherwise we were at the bottom of it too most years. Then if you think it through we don't have the same players or coaches if we were in CUSA. We would be recruiting and hiring to a lower level conference . Sorry but that is just foolish thinking.
We do have the same players and same coaches! Didn't you just witness us falling to FIU? Do you really believe that we have better recruits and coaches on our rosters than all C-USA teams? A few more 3 and 4 win seasons will wake you up and force you to see that we are still a C-USA caliber program.
Wave QB
Swell

wave to em wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:

Soooo, we shouldn't go to a better league because its harder? in that case, lets just drop to d3.
i would so much rather be in the AAC winning 4-5 games than be a 6 or 7 win CUSA team. the league you play in matters and the AAC is somewhat respected nationally, CUSA on the other hand, not at all.
If you are happy about being a 4-5 winning AAC program over a 7 win Bowl eligible C-USA program, them you should be very encouraged or even excited about the Green Wave this season.
galvezwave
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
wave to em wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:

If you are happy about being a 4-5 winning AAC program over a 7 win Bowl eligible C-USA program, them you should be very encouraged or even excited about the Green Wave this season.
If we're not striving to raise the bar and elevate the program we need to quit playing. Im to the point that I don't care either way.