Memphis Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

For what its worth, around the conference we're seen as middle of the pack. And this is after the USF game. Better than being a consistent last. On the down side, we're looking for 3 more wins but three of the remaining five teams are better than us. We need to cut down on the mistakes and finally win one that we're not expected to.
https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 8018302977
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hopefully WF learned from the USF game the forward pass is our friend not our enemy. He has said his goal with the running game is 300 yards and that hasn't gotten it done. We came back once we balanced things out. There's a reason they say statistics are for losers. Does anybody really believe USF has one of the top defense in the country ? You have to look at who they have played. Hell they won this week and stayed undefeated and still fell in the polls. Memphis doesn't have a good D. They will score. To keep up and have a chance to pull out the win we have to balance it out.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
TURVS71
Swell

Already in Memphis, well actually N. Mississippi. Will be at the game..hope to see others in Liberty Bowl Stadium. By the way, will be the first time in that stadium since December 31, 1998 to watch the Wave complete its undefeated season. It was a cold game and colder at night on Beale Street but one of the best times in my life of Wave football! NolaBigSteve was a Senior at Archbishop Rummel that year and would go on to wear the Olive and Blue the next year and finish his career in 2002 in Hawaii with a victory! He always told his mom and I that we had him one year too late or he would have that Undefeated Season and Liberty Bowl Ring!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave, don't be selective with your quote. Was Fritz has said repeatedly is the goal is 300 rushing yards AND 200 passing yards. You make it sound like he thinks 300 rushing yards by itself will win the game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Don't go off point. He stresses about the run but has only given lip service to the pass. It was 7-34 while stressing the run. It was 21-0 when we balanced things out.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Don't go off point. He stresses about the run but has only given lip service to the pass. It was 7-34 while stressing the run. It was 21-0 when we balanced things out.
What we don't know is WHY that is. He didn't do it at SHSU or C. Missouri. He passed a lot. He ran heavily at GaSo because that's what their entire system had been based on for decades, so the talent was structured for that. Is he doing it because we don't have the QB yet to do what he wants? Do we not have the WRs? Is our line just not good enough to give our QBs time to run the entire system? I don't know. If we had a QB like Lindsey Scott, or a Greg Ward, or someone with mobility that can also pass accurately, maybe we'd be seeing something different. If someone knows the answer, please share.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Banks is capable of throwing on the run. We used designed rollouts last year a few times and were effective. I suggested then we should do it more. Now that we have Banks all the more reason. We could use the quick hitters like we did in the latter part of the game. My point is he clearly puts a lot of emphasis on the run game at practice. More effort needs to be put into helping the passing game. As others have suggested our pass defense suffers due to our lack of our passing game. Another reason to start giving it more attention.
nowave
Ripple

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:Don't go off point. He stresses about the run but has only given lip service to the pass. It was 7-34 while stressing the run. It was 21-0 when we balanced things out.
What we don't know is WHY that is. He didn't do it at SHSU or C. Missouri. He passed a lot. He ran heavily at GaSo because that's what their entire system had been based on for decades, so the talent was structured for that. Is he doing it because we don't have the QB yet to do what he wants? Do we not have the WRs? Is our line just not good enough to give our QBs time to run the entire system? I don't know. If we had a QB like Lindsey Scott, or a Greg Ward, or someone with mobility that can also pass accurately, maybe we'd be seeing something different. If someone knows the answer, please share.
i dont get how people keep saying fritz doesnt have his quarterback yet. he signed brantley. he signed bradwell. he signed banks. he signed mcclain. i get that they are all pretty young and that bradwell isnt even a qb anymore but the whole theory that he doesnt have his quarterback yet is a pretty weak excuse.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

nowave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
i dont get how people keep saying fritz doesnt have his quarterback yet. he signed brantley. he signed bradwell. he signed banks. he signed mcclain. i get that they are all pretty young and that bradwell isnt even a qb anymore but the whole theory that he doesnt have his quarterback yet is a pretty weak excuse.
I think McClain has the greatest chance to be the qb of our future. He definitely has a better arm than Brantley and if Fritz wants to pass, there's your man for after Banks.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Two short weeks ago, a certain poster was all over me for saying "it's too early to discuss Willie Fritz's replacement when he gets a P5 offer." That same poster is now all over Willie Fritz for his offense. Nothing has changed. Nothing.

Getting back on thread topic, I think this is a winnable game. We just need to learn to bring the same intensity to a road game that we play with at home to make it a possibility.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one was all over you. People were discussing that IF things kept going good after Tulsa that we had to be ready. I didn't bring it up. Someone else did. I agreed that a good AD always has a list ready. As for the offense I'm saying now what I have been saying all along and that's that we need balance if we are going to beat teams other than the dregs.

You're right though. Things never change. Continue on with your obsession.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:No one was all over you. People were discussing that IF things kept going good after Tulsa that we had to be ready. I didn't bring it up. Someone else did. I agreed that a good AD always has a list ready. As for the offense I'm saying now what I have been saying all along and that's that we need balance if we are going to beat teams other than the dregs.

You're right though. Things never change. Continue on with your obsession.
That's it, Fido, play both sides of the coin once again. Your proclamations must be the all knowing truth, regardless of whether or not you contradict yourself.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

When you got nothing go to personal attacks. Like I said I wasn't all over you. It's common knowledge you don't wait till the season is over to see if you should have your list ready. Also as I said my stance is the same on the offense.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Living up to expectations:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 6e3eb.html

Looks like he'll get some help against that passing game from the weather.

Banks didn't get any reps in 11 on 11's. Brantley and Cuiellette got all the reps. Banks had his middle and ring fingers taped together during the game. Teamer also didn't participate.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The weather expected in Memphis on Friday night 100% chance of rain and mid 40’s.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Was last at Liberty Bowl stadium in 1984, there was an old golf cart for the WFL's Memphis Southmen gathering dust under the stands. Unless it was massively renovated it must be a serious dump. Bear Bryant coached his last game there.
GreenLantern
Riptide

There are some very interesting comments on the Memphis forum:
No game is truly easy if you aren't 100% prepared, but Tulane is the best team we are yet to play.
They are a slightly less effective version of Navy. They will run the option and control the ball. Averaging 266 yards a game rushing. They do not turn the ball over 4th nationally. Defensively they lead the AAC in passing yard allowed with 190.6. Reality is they will be a fairly difficult game. They control the ball and do not turn it over and excel on stopping what the Tigers do best. DO NOT LOOK PAST THE GREEN WAVE.
What is the reason they are 28th in interceptions???? If teams threw on them so few times and they are still 28th in interceptions should tell you something about their DBs.
We're gonna pass em silly. Which will open up the running game.
Not saying they won't be tough...bur Tulane is the AAC version of Vanderbilt...Charlie Browns of college football.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

WDSU showed a minute long clip of Norvell at his press conference and the first two post above pretty much regurgitated what he's preaching to his team. I can't stand Mackel but they have been giving Tulane some decent coverage so far this season on the 6 o'clock broadcast that one can catch after the sports ends on WWL.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Smart's back:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 1b82a.html

Kennedy is too.
Did you catch the headline? Former Tulane DT "Smith"?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL. I didn't but apparently they did as it now says Smart.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

He was taking shots downfield when the run set up the pass. And no joke, when you're down four scores you throw the ball more. Who doesn't know that?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We didn't take shots downfield. We were mostly throwing quick hitters and then getting yac. The fact is we balanced it out as we did keep running too and we did much better. Balance is the answer. It doesn't have to be 50-50 but it can't be 80-20.
RobertM320
Green Wave

His goal is 60-40. He's said that a thousand times. But if the players aren't in place to achieve that, you work with what you have.