USF Game Day Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

Every time I saw a flag thrown on us and watched the replay or saw it in action is was the right call. There was an inadvertent flag/whistle that was Bs, but we couldn't block them all night and were holding blatantly essentially every play. As for the offense, most of those yards came when we opened it up and started running other plays than the same dive we run every single down. Plus they were playing loose up 27 and up 20. We had a chance to win that game but wasted valuable first half possessions with the ball in their territory with a interception, an inexplicable possession where Hilliard wasn't in the whole possession and the 4th down play and a possession where we were trying to run the clock out up 13-7 with 3 minutes and timeouts. If you play not to lose, you usually do. The comeback was admirable, but we made a ton of mistakes and had a lot of self inflicted penalties that were nobodies fault but our own. As for the crowd and supporting Tulane, had we won last week we prob have another 3-5,000 in the crowd. We did not win we lost. As long as they keep gouging the remaining fans (something I've railed about endlessly) they will be shooting themselves in the foot. The 50 yd line section on the opponent sideline was filled with USF fans. The price and the mandatory donation Tulane charges do not equal the value of the product. I'm sick of it, and if I'm sick of it do you think the casual fan is going to put up with it? I saved $600 not buying season tickets this year and buying single game tickets. Do you think I'm going to get season tickets next year? Absolutely not.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sader I agree about the penalties. We committed them. This wasn't on the refs. We played poorly for a good portion of the game. Like you said USF's guard was down and we made a run that still came up short. They dropped in the polls. I wouldn't be surprised if they fall out completely before the end of the season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

sader24 wrote: The 50 yd line section on the opponent sideline was filled with USF fans. The price and the mandatory donation Tulane charges do not equal the value of the product. I'm sick of it, and if I'm sick of it do you think the casual fan is going to put up with it? I saved $600 not buying season tickets this year and buying single game tickets. Do you think I'm going to get season tickets next year? Absolutely not.
If you looked carefully for the two Tulane fans sitting on the west-side 50 in the middle of that mob, that would have been me and my bride. The UsF-U fans were not well-mannered football fans like we saw from Grambling and Tulsa. They were loud, vulgar, and over-liquored... most of them stood on (staggered about, really) their seats throughout the game. It's fun being out-numbered and verbally abused when you're at a road game. Not so much when you're in your own house. (And I pay a premium to sit in this section?)

One point which I don't think has been mentioned concerns the onside kicks. I agreed with the first two attempts. Even though both were very poorly executed and easily recovered, we trailed by such a large margin at the time that it was an acceptable risk. With a little over two minutes remaining and trailing by six points, I believe we had a better chance of kicking the ball deep and hoping for a defensive stand. However, we got another slow rolling, easily-handled kick and UsF-U started at midfield with one of the best field goal kickers in the conference (except for last night). They make a critical first down and it's party over.

One other thing: I haven't watched the game on TV but it appeared that Strong made a recklessly bone-headed call to run the ball on first down with a little more than a minute remaining in the game. Victory formation for three plays and it's in the books. Had the play resulted in a fumble with the Wave having big-time momentum, Strong would have had a lot of splainin'. For those who watched on TV, did the announcers mention this?
Last edited by GreenLantern on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The TD that was called back on the pass to Hillard was terrible. They called us for an illegal man down field. Our center was holding his block. Even the announcers called BS on that one. And the flag they picked up on the offsides was bad. Contact was made so something has to be called.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Oh, and one more thing. I can't say enough about how much the advertisers have improved on gotula.net. Now I can't stay off the computer.
lurker123
Swell

sader24 wrote: The price and the mandatory donation Tulane charges do not equal the value of the product. I'm sick of it, and if I'm sick of it do you think the casual fan is going to put up with it? I saved $600 not buying season tickets this year and buying single game tickets. Do you think I'm going to get season tickets next year? Absolutely not.
Tulane needs its fans. Too bad you've decided it's not worth it to you attend. I hope you find something that will bring you back to games.

As concerns ticket pricing, donations, seat licenses, et al, Tulane is simply doing what every other major professional sport and major college program does. No more and no less. Most casual fans don't like it anywhere. If and until the casual fans pay the toll, Tulane looks for a few big wallets to pay for the program. For better or worse, they continue to do it.

If you want to see real pitchforks, go to an SF 49'ers board and see what its "casual fans" are saying about the new Levi's stadium which has lots of empty seats and features the worst team in the NFL. Of course they tanked after raising $1 billion or so in naming rights, suite fees and PSLs to pay for it, much of that coming from the "casual fans."
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote:Shame on Tulane for putting such a putrid product on the field for close to 70 years now. Then for trying to gouge what few fans it has left that are willing to still go to the games.

WinWave, as a member of the Fan Advisory Committee you really need to tell them we need to completely rethink the Glaser/Westfeldt "licensing fee" crap first begun under Cow/Dick. ESPN did its best not to show the East side of the stadium because both Glaser & Westfeldt are now a joke since almost all of the seats go unoccupied. We need to make those seats affordable to real fans. With our "product" for the last 70 years, we are in no position and won't be anytime soon to demand "licensing fees" for any of our seats and in particular the Westfeldt Terrace.

Dannen must see the empty seats for both Glaser and Westfeldt, now what is he going to do about?This stadium is now in its fourth year?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:
winwave wrote:Shame on Tulane for putting such a putrid product on the field for close to 70 years now. Then for trying to gouge what few fans it has left that are willing to still go to the games.

WinWave, as a member of the Fan Advisory Committee you really need to tell them we need to completely rethink the Glaser/Westfeldt "licensing fee" crap first begun under Cow/Dick. ESPN did its best not to show the East side of the stadium because both Glaser & Westfeldt are now a joke since almost all of the seats go unoccupied. We need to make those seats affordable to real fans. With our "product" for the last 70 years, we are in no position and won't be anytime soon to demand "licensing fees" for any of our seats and in particular the Westfeldt Terrace.

Dannen must see the empty seats for both Glaser and Westfeldt, now what is he going to do about?This stadium is now in its fourth year?
They gave away one ticket for every ticket you bought. No one is interested until we start putting a quality product worthy of 4 hours of your time.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

They gave away one ticket for every ticket you bought. No one is interested until we start putting a quality product worthy of 4 hours of your time.
I just don't see this "licensing" b.s. working anytime soon even if we go 6-6 this year and a minor bowl. Sometimes less is more, reasonably pricing season tickets may generate more revenue and interest in the long run than a $2,000 "entry barrier" for a now almost completely unoccupied Westfeldt Terrace.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:

Trust me I told them very explicitly when I was on the committee. The terms were for a year. Haven't ever seen them put out anything about the new committee members. All Tulane ever gives you is that is what everyone else is doing. Like I told them they aren't everybody else. They have lost and lost miserably for almost 70 years now. The product in the two major sports is putrid. They absolutely need to pull back. Pull an Arthur Blank and lighten up on prices. They won't. Hell if by some miracle we end up with 6 wins the safe bet is they would raise prices and fees. They've never gotten it and they never will. Sad to say but that's the way it is.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

I still attend most games, just am not purchasing season tickets anymore when I can buy single game seats in the same exact seat for much cheaper. Every USF fan I encountered was belligerent and aggravating. Many of the Big Teams are having problems with the mandatory donation BS. We have a generally subpar home slate compared to those teams, the product is or at least has been abysmal, we don't have any demand, it's just lazy and nonsensical. Like winwave said, we aren't everybody else. The Saints play a few miles from us so people are spending good money on those season tickets already, we have very few local alumni and even fewer interested in football. The fanbase has been decimated since the early 80s. You can't pretend that you are Alabama or Michigan or LSU when you have absolutely nothing in common with those schools in any of the major categories that affect ticket sales and attendance. They are operating in a fantasy world. I cannot pay people to attend these games and they are trying to tax people for the right to buy these tickets. It is clearly taking advantage of and taxing the only people who have stuck with them through the BS and I for one have had enough of it as have 20,000+ fans before me. I don't care what everyone else is doing, I care about getting screwed over.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Can't contain Flowers:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 03445.html
Not sure if anyone caught this, or if it was mentioned on the TV, but on the second play of the game Banks dislocated a finger and had to get it popped back in place. I've never suffered any kind of dislocation, so I don't know how painful that is. I'm sure it would have affected his passing some.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:

Not sure if anyone caught this, or if it was mentioned on the TV, but on the second play of the game Banks dislocated a finger and had to get it popped back in place. I've never suffered any kind of dislocation, so I don't know how painful that is. I'm sure it would have affected his passing some.
Dislocations can be extremely painful until relocated. After that it's equivalent to a sprain of perhaps of some severity which can impact performance.

As concerns his passing, the only one it really mattered was on a possession in the 4th Q where Banks airmailed a pass almost into the west side stands over a very wide open receiver (Encalade?) It mattered because that was the only possession that Tulane punted on in the 4th q and of course Tulane ended up losing one possession short for a chance to win. However Banks also had a few quick look-ins where he was sometimes not exactly on target. We'll just have to see how it matters at Memphis.

Now Lee's broken finger in his last season, that one mattered as he never had an idea where a pass was going after that injury.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:

I dislocated my ring finger on my right hand last March. It pointed sideways and I shook it and it popped back in. At the time (refereeing a high level U14 hockey game) it hurt, but not too badly. Adrenalin took over, my guess. Then 12 oz curls after the game, which was my way of icing it, helped. I woke the next morning in serious pain and went straight to the ER. My guess is Banks had a similar experience, at least with the adrenalin. I hope his finger got set better than mine did at the local ER. I couldn't play golf until May, and it still affects my writing. It's not a minor injury, especially on the throwing hand of a QB.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

Trust me I told them very explicitly when I was on the committee. The terms were for a year. Haven't ever seen them put out anything about the new committee members. All Tulane ever gives you is that is what everyone else is doing. Like I told them they aren't everybody else. They have lost and lost miserably for almost 70 years now. The product in the two major sports is putrid. They absolutely need to pull back. Pull an Arthur Blank and lighten up on prices. They won't. Hell if by some miracle we end up with 6 wins the safe bet is they would raise prices and fees. They've never gotten it and they never will. Sad to say but that's the way it is.
WW, I actually agree with Sader and you on this. I would price the tickets to put butts in the seats. Tulane needs to rebuild its fan base. I expect the wallets on the board would still fund the program in the meantime even without PSLs and donation points. I doubt it will happen but management isn't blind and they might just might give it a try. But you have to persuade them.

However I know you won't like this but cranks even if they are prophets from God like Jeremiah don't influence anyone. If you want to have someone hear you and not dismiss your views, I suggest you start with stopping your unrelenting opinionated jihad against the existing facilities which you've now carried over to Guerry Smith's site.

The Tulane Board has funded over $100 million dollars in new facilities on campus and my guess it will put another $30+ million into an athletics ops center. Those are sunk costs. Frankly the majority of our few remaining fans and more importantly, the Tulane Board, like and prefer them even if you don't. Your war against them doesn't make the decision makers more sympathetic to your making a case for thinking outside the box to grow crowds and going against the tide on PSLs and donations for preferred seat locations. It makes most observers react to you as an unadulterated crank.

Last week the best basketball team in the world willingly and happily practiced at Tulane because Hertz is comparable to if not better than existing facilities for many NBA teams. Yet I guessed I missed the plaudits about that around here.

Do you want to make a difference and positively affect change or not? Tone and focus matter. Your choice.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Always the apologist. It cost you all credibility. It's always the fans fault. Simply not the case in reality. If they can't handle the heat they need to get out of the kitchen. You weren't in the room when I told them so you have no idea of how the message was conveyed. I fully understand that approach and tone matter. I handled it accordingly.

You're wrong too on how the majority of our fans see the stadium now that it's here. The empty seats and empty tailgates scream that loud and clear.

As for the Warriors practicing there that was good PR. However they wouldn't dream of playing in Fogelman.

They haven't spent enough and they haven't spent it wisely. That's on them and no one else.
anEngineer
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:

Banks played the game with the last two fingers of his right hand taped together after the injury. Those are the first 2 fingers off the ball when passing so I imagine the effect was as minimal as possible, but it had to affect his passing somewhat. Also, he has to clap his hands together (loudly) for every snap and catch the snap. That could not have been pleasant. Kudos to him for toughing it out.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

Then WinWave, it would appear for the foreseeable future when broadcasting from Yulman ESPN will continue to do fan "tight shots" and then only for the West side stands and on a group of about 200 visitors for the other team to avoid at all costs showing the East side of our stadium for the almost completely unoccupied Glaser and Westfeldt Terrace levels. Sad, truly sad; stupid, truly stupid; and, "only at Tulane."
Last edited by Wave755 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

Then WinWave, it would appear for the foreseeable future when broadcasting from Yulman ESPN will continue to do "tight shots" only for the West side stands on a group of about 200 fans for the visiting team and avoid at all costs showing the East side of our stadium for the almost completely unoccupied Glaser and Westfeldt Terrace levels. Sad, truly sad. Stupid, truly stupid. And, "only at Tulane."
The Glaser/Westfeldt was another way to cut corners by CowDick and it is making the situation look worse.
RobertM320
Green Wave

To be honest, USF hasn't been happy with their attendance either. And its starting to spread. This was recently.

#8 TCU at home vs West Virginia, WITH College GameDay at the stadium: https://twitter.com/C_Austin_Cox/status ... 8796170240

USF has been getting just over 20K to their home games, and they're a Top 15 ranked, undefeated team. They barely reached 30K for their homecoming game vs Cincinnati. Its not just Tulane, its the perception of who we play.
Last edited by RobertM320 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:To be honest, USF hasn't been happy with their attendance either. And its starting to spread. This was recently.

#8 TCU at home vs West Virginia, WITH College GameDay at the stadium:
[tweet]
https://twitter.com/C_Austin_Cox/status ... 8796170240[/tweet]

USF has been getting just over 20K to their home games, and they're a Top 15 ranked, undefeated team. They barely reached 30K for their homecoming game vs Cincinnati. Its not just Tulane, its the perception of who we play.
Sports attendance is going down on the whole, as more competition for the leisure dollars continues to expand. Yes, whom we play is an important issue, as is our (lack of) success. But the days of Tulane having the ability to draw 40k to every home game, or even sell out Yulman regularly may very well be behind us. We're a small school with a mostly apathetic and out of state alumni base. The University as a whole is underfunded. To expect the Athletics Department to be funded or followed the same way that a State U or Football Factory U is a pipe dream.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:To be honest, USF hasn't been happy with their attendance either. And its starting to spread. This was recently.

[tweet]

Robert, then all the more reason not to have a $2,000 barrier to buying season tickets for Westfeldt Terrace seats?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote:

[tweet]

Robert, then all the more reason not to have a $2,000 barrier to buying season tickets for Westfeldt Terrace seats?
I agree 100%. I'd never spend that, even if they're winning. I just can't afford that on top of tickets.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:

[tweet]

Sports attendance is going down on the whole, as more competition for the leisure dollars continues to expand. Yes, whom we play is an important issue, as is our (lack of) success. But the days of Tulane having the ability to draw 40k to every home game, or even sell out Yulman regularly may very well be behind us. We're a small school with a mostly apathetic and out of state alumni base. The University as a whole is underfunded. To expect the Athletics Department to be funded or followed the same way that a State U or Football Factory U is a pipe dream.
I think the tide turned when we moved to CUSA in the 1990’s. I felt the unattractive non-football schools in the league would kill fan interest and it has. When I was in school 40K was a regular occurrence. We won and played a very attractive schedule. Those days unfortunately have been long gone.
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

Pretty much all that needs to be said about this game has been said. Just one thought crossed my mind. How much different would the reaction be, had we taken care of business at FIU?

I think the "we've turn the corner" argument goes into full effect. This was actually a pretty good result. Frustrasting? Sure. But shows another side of Fritz that he can rally troops late.