USF Game Day Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
galvezwave
Swell

I really wanna tip my cap to you guys that spend money and time to go sit and watch this football program. I love Tulane , but you are better fans than I could ever be. I honestly don't know how y'all do it.

greenie78
Riptide

Not sure why #36 is ever on the field. He doesn't do anything well. He's slow, weak, takes poor angles and misses tons of tackles.
Pepper
Swell

greenie78 wrote:Not sure why #36 is ever on the field. He doesn't do anything well. He's slow, weak, takes poor angles and misses tons of tackles.
I would imagine he's the best of the rest. He is only a frosh and needs a year in the weight room. It's another reason why our CB's are left on islands. IMHO, the play of the secondary could use a little better pass rush from time to time.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
TURVS71
Swell

3 things:

-Valiant comeback effort
-Team speed KILLS
-Tulane fan support sucks-Shame on you!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The best team won. The game’s final score didn’t indicate the true picture of the game. Tulane had way too many penalties. Still struggles with defending the pass. I’m usually not a complainer about the officials but they were horrible. I watched the replay and even the announcers said the same. I applaud the team’s positive effort to never give up. Memphis will likely be the third loss in a row. I said 5 wins this season and that’s what it still looks like to be.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

tpstulane wrote:The best team won. The game’s final score didn’t indicate the true picture of the game. Tulane had way too many penalties. Still struggles with defending the pass. I’m usually not a complainer about the officials but they were horrible. I watched the replay and even the announcers said the same. I applaud the team’s positive effort to never give up. Memphis will likely be the third loss in a row. I said 5 wins this season and that’s what it still looks like to be.
+1
Houma de Wave
Swell

TURVS71 wrote:3 things:

-Valiant comeback effort
-Team speed KILLS
You are absolutely correct. It is amazing the volume of criticism that mounts on this thread and yet we were one possession via an onsides kick recovery of winning this game. As “quick and wonderful” as USF’s defense is,we had their backs to the wall and their tongues hanging in exhaustion in the 4th quarter. Their conditioning is no better than ours. They do have better talent. But, our coaches had our kids come back to be in a position to win. Again, we are only in Year 2 of Fritz’ era. Get your arses to the games and support this program.
swampnik
Surge

This time USF was quick out of the gate. Tulane played great and could have won if the penalty was not called in 1st quarter. No quit in the team and now they know they can hang tough with anyone in the AAC and could run the table! Next game up; team will man up!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote:The best team won. The game’s final score didn’t indicate the true picture of the game. Tulane had way too many penalties. Still struggles with defending the pass. I’m usually not a complainer about the officials but they were horrible. I watched the replay and even the announcers said the same. I applaud the team’s positive effort to never give up. Memphis will likely be the third loss in a row. I said 5 wins this season and that’s what it still looks like to be.
Agreed. It was pretty obvious the conference wants one of its teams to finish in the NY Eve 6.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenie78 wrote:Not sure why #36 is ever on the field. He doesn't do anything well. He's slow, weak, takes poor angles and misses tons of tackles.
Not sure if you're really paying attention. For one, he's a true freshman. Second, he had an INT against Tulsa. Third, he made a great play last night tipping the ball away from the receiver, the one that Lewis ended up intercepting. And he's not slow.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:
Agreed. It was pretty obvious the conference wants one of its teams to finish in the NY Eve 6.
Good point. That could be the reason. It’s hard to believe an entire crew could be that bad.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

Pepper wrote:

I really don't like to complain about the refs, it's an excuse. So, I won't....

On another topic, if USF and UCF are 11-0 going into their match up, that would be HUGE for the conference and the AAC brass knows that! If that happens, we have a team in a big 6 or whatever bowl game and the other team at 11-1 will get a lot of press. I agree with your comment.
RobertM320
Green Wave

After having watched several USF games, and seeing them last night, I really believe UCF is the better team. USF has Flowers, and that RB Tice, and a couple of big receivers. Other than that, they're nothing special. To put it in pespective, WE'RE the best team they've beaten. Take that for what its worth.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
nowave wrote:a couple of big plays at the end of this game made it way closer than it really was. glad the kids battled but this coaching staff is going to make it hard for us to win much. fritz’s offense is truly abysmal. it might work at the high school level but it wont win many games in fbs
I can't really fault Fritz for tonight's offense. There was not one offensive snap where Banks was not running for his dear life. They have penetration on EVERY offensive play where we tried to pass. Can you really have much of an offense when they were in the backfield on almost every play? What I can blame Fritz for tonight was the sloppiness of the team on penalties (3 tds called back) and the tackling. I counted around 16 missed tackles tonight.

Ps. On the bright side, the angry wave looks good and the fireworks were a good touch, but not after when you lose.
I agree. While it's not a lot of fun to watch, Fritz's offense kept us in the game by limiting their possessions. It also accounted for well over 400 yards of total offense against one of the best defensive teams in FBS. So saying it will only work on the high school level is foolish and ignorant. Again, it's not a lot of fun to watch, especially when Banks (or the OC) refuses to test the outside/corner game after game.

The refs did NOT decide the outcome of the game, though they were bad both ways. Teamer got away with a blatant Pass Interference early in the 2nd quarter, running over the receiver with his back to the ball. That would have given them 1st down deep in the red zone.

There is plenty of room for improvement, but we have a shot, even if we lose to Memphis, to get to 6 wins and some meaningless bowl game.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

-Valiant comeback effort
-Team speed KILLS

Shame on Tulane for putting such a putrid product on the field for close to 70 years now. Then for trying to gouge what few fans it has left that are willing to still go to the games.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Thought this was interesting
https://twitter.com/usfcollin/status/921846857902559232
Yulman Stadium seems the platonic ideal of what USF stadium should look like. Bulls would need more chairbacks & amenities, but it's great.
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
nowave wrote:a couple of big plays at the end of this game made it way closer than it really was. glad the kids battled but this coaching staff is going to make it hard for us to win much. fritz’s offense is truly abysmal. it might work at the high school level but it wont win many games in fbs
I can't really fault Fritz for tonight's offense. There was not one offensive snap where Banks was not running for his dear life. They have penetration on EVERY offensive play where we tried to pass. Can you really have much of an offense when they were in the backfield on almost every play? What I can blame Fritz for tonight was the sloppiness of the team on penalties (3 tds called back) and the tackling. I counted around 16 missed tackles tonight.

Ps. On the bright side, the angry wave looks good and the fireworks were a good touch, but not after when you lose.
I agree. While it's not a lot of fun to watch, Fritz's offense kept us in the game by limiting their possessions. It also accounted for well over 400 yards of total offense against one of the best defensive teams in FBS. So saying it will only work on the high school level is foolish and ignorant. Again, it's not a lot of fun to watch, especially when Banks (or the OC) refuses to test the outside/corner game after game.

The refs did NOT decide the outcome of the game, though they were bad both ways. Teamer got away with a blatant Pass Interference early in the 2nd quarter, running over the receiver with his back to the ball. That would have given them 1st down deep in the red zone.

There is plenty of room for improvement, but we have a shot, even if we lose to Memphis, to get to 6 wins and some meaningless bowl game.

Only comment I would change, IMO, is the "meaningless bowl game." Based on our bowl history and the status of THIS program, ANY bowl is GOOD......Reason's being that no matter how small the bowl, there is always more publicity mainly locally but some nationally also and ADDITIONAL PRACTICE TIME.... a HUGE benefit to any program.
TURVS71
Swell

winwave wrote:

-Valiant comeback effort
-Team speed KILLS

Shame on Tulane for putting such a putrid product on the field for close to 70 years now. Then for trying to gouge what few fans it has left that are willing to still go to the games.
Wow, that "positive" attitude of the "Fan Advisory Committee" sure did quickly disappear!! :D :D
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote:
winwave wrote:

-Valiant comeback effort
-Team speed KILLS

Wow, that "positive" attitude of the "Fan Advisory Committee" sure did quickly disappear!! :D :D

Same attitude I've always had. It's the reality of the situation not the false narrative you tried to create. Shame on you for that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetime
Swell

winwave wrote:
TURVS71 wrote:
winwave wrote:

-Valiant comeback effort
-Team speed KILLS

Same attitude I've always had. It's the reality of the situation not the false narrative you tried to create. Shame on you for that.
WW I have to give it to you, you are honest, present facts and tell your side of the story regardless of the situation.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TURVS71 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:

Only comment I would change, IMO, is the "meaningless bowl game." Based on our bowl history and the status of THIS program, ANY bowl is GOOD......Reason's being that no matter how small the bowl, there is always more publicity mainly locally but some nationally also and ADDITIONAL PRACTICE TIME.... a HUGE benefit to any program.
I agree 100 percent, in the case of Tulane there are no meaningless bowl games...on a side note, I watched some of the game and note some poor tackling...don't get me wrong, I certainly understand the player from the other team does not want to get tackled..but as an old Coach once told me .."Tacklin' is 90 percent "wanna" and 10 percent "technique"....it seems there are some players lacking the "wanna"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Thought this was interesting
Yulman Stadium seems the platonic ideal of what USF stadium should look like. Bulls would need more chairbacks & amenities, but it's great.
They're looking to spend between $150M and $220M on it, so I assume a bit larger as well. I've been following Sherwin for awhile now, and he's pretty fairminded in his opinions, not just a USF homer. He writes their SB Nation blog, "The Daily Stampede".
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
They're looking to spend between $150M and $220M on it, so I assume a bit larger as well. I've been following Sherwin for awhile now, and he's pretty fairminded in his opinions, not just a USF homer. He writes their SB Nation blog, "The Daily Stampede".
Tulane should start by putting chairback seats between the 40’s on the West side.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Tulane should start by putting chairback seats between the 40’s on the West side.

They are looking to spend $200 million and build the way Houston did. Until then they'll stay put rather than build a tiny stadium.

To add chairbacks there would require taking out some of the rows of seats in order to have leg room. There's none now. Add the chairs and you'll gave a worse problem.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

They are looking to spend $200 million and build the way Houston did. Until then they'll stay put rather than build a tiny stadium.

To add chairbacks there would require taking out some of the rows of seats in order to have leg room. There's none now. Add the chairs and you'll gave a worse problem.
Maybe they can jackhammer the entire East side then. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981