Almost nothing has changed

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

Sure we execute a little better on offense and special teams, but let's tell it like it is. This offense is a joke in this 21st century of spread the field and Chuck the ball all over the place. The ceiling on it is keeping you in the game maybe longer against better opponents with more talent but also keeping opponents with lesser talent in the game longer thereby limiting yourself to ever play for championships.
Like a lot of mediocre NFL coaches the aim seems to be in every game late and win some and lose some, thereby keeping your job and the salary as long as possible. I see no upside at all to that approach.
I see diminishing recruiting from this staff. Don't be fooled by early commitments, recruits do that as a backup until the P5 offers come.
I think Fritz is a good coach with a plan that won't work at Tulane long term as he won't be able to recruit the lines to excel.
But the bigger question is always, can anybody overcome the inherent shortcomings (academics, fan base, funding) at Tulane and win? Unfortunately, history gives us our answer.

Aberzombie1892
Swell

Well, Tulane has fallen out of all of the bowl projections, and, while Tulane could certain still pull out six wins, it’s possible that not only will it not do that, it’s possible that Tulane will still finish at the bottom of the AAC West. After the results of Saturday, Tulsa is only one game behind Tulane in the standings and it has already played Houston, Navy and Tulane with SMU, Memphis and USF remaining and Tulane has already played Navy and Tulsa but still has Houston, Memphis, USF, and SMU remaining.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:Sure we execute a little better on offense and special teams, but let's tell it like it is. This offense is a joke in this 21st century of spread the field and Chuck the ball all over the place. The ceiling on it is keeping you in the game maybe longer against better opponents with more talent but also keeping opponents with lesser talent in the game longer thereby limiting yourself to ever play for championships.
Like a lot of mediocre NFL coaches the aim seems to be in every game late and win some and lose some, thereby keeping your job and the salary as long as possible. I see no upside at all to that approach.
I see diminishing recruiting from this staff. Don't be fooled by early commitments, recruits do that as a backup until the P5 offers come.
I think Fritz is a good coach with a plan that won't work at Tulane long term as he won't be able to recruit the lines to excel.
But the bigger question is always, can anybody overcome the inherent shortcomings (academics, fan base, funding) at Tulane and win? Unfortunately, history gives us our answer.
The early commitments thing may play out differently this year, due to the early signing period. P5's aren't going to give their space to a 3* until they're sure they've exhausted their opportunities on higher rated players. And a player that's committed to us and chooses not to sign with us in December will in many cases see that offer pulled, as not signing shows they're not REALLY committed, and we'll fill those spots with other players.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
GreenLantern
Riptide

You are who your score against inferior teams says you are.
torbida
Surge

Couldn't make game due to a cold .Listening to game made me feel worse.Not sticking to run when game was close,failing on 4th and 3 at 19 yrd line and missed tackles is why we lost.Hope team can be competitive next 2 weeks have shot at winning.Losing is beyond tiresome
Wavetime
Swell

We simply don't have the offensive line for this offense to thrive. I am a believer that any offense can be successful if you have the right players. We don't have the line....yet.
wave97
Swell

Wavetime wrote:We simply don't have the offensive line for this offense to thrive. I am a believer that any offense can be successful if you have the right players. We don't have the line....yet.
When you have a front seven that can "outzone" your scheme plus corners playing cover zero you can throw out the playbook.
Great job by Butch Davis and staff, took our staff to the woodshed. FIU wasn't coached by some whiz-kid former o-coordinator.