FIU wins 23-10

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
netshorty
High Tide
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 am
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Not opposed to run oriented offense, just opposed to poorly called games with an unimaginative offense. Sure we didn't have our qb last year. Don't have our offensive line this year.... Won't have a defense that can give the ball back to the offense next year. No doubt we're better than 2 years ago, which says absolutely nothing since CJ was probably the worst coach of all time. (seriously in college football history).. And the fact he's won more games in his first two years (albeit just 2 conference games so far and 2 fcs wins) than most in our long history of successful coaches doesn't really mean that much. To believe that we are on track to be a program that will go to bowls every year and compete for conference championships is really just wishing and hoping at this point. Can WF do it? Maybe. But not sure how anyone can be overly optimistic at this point.


anEngineer
High Tide
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:05 am

I can't believe how man are STILL complaining that this team/offense runs too much. The starting QB just finished a game 5 of 16 for 36 yds passing. Maybe, just maybe, Coach Fritz and Coach Ruse are not real comfortable opening up a passing attack yet in this program. We have a lot of talent at RB and no consistently accurate arms. If this offense started passing more and put up a few 12 of 30 for 90 yards, how many think we would win? I would venture to say the same complainers would be screaming that the coaching staff is stupid and can't design an offense to fit the personnel.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1704
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:26 am

anEngineer wrote:I can't believe how man are STILL complaining that this team/offense runs too much. The starting QB just finished a game 5 of 16 for 36 yds passing. Maybe, just maybe, Coach Fritz and Coach Ruse are not real comfortable opening up a passing attack yet in this program. We have a lot of talent at RB and no consistently accurate arms. If this offense started passing more and put up a few 12 of 30 for 90 yards, how many think we would win? I would venture to say the same complainers would be screaming that the coaching staff is stupid and can't design an offense to fit the personnel.
Maybe some people would complain either way, but the FIU game was the perfect example of putting Tulane in a situation where both Tulane and FIU were equally effective with the run. Because of that, and, because of FIU's effectiveness with the pass, Tulane had to try passing since that was the only way that it could keep up or win. It did not work out and the end result was somewhat disappointing given that FIU's opponent passing efficiency rank is #93 (passing against FIU is effective), so it is not as though it had even an average passing defense.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7857
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:44 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
anEngineer wrote:I can't believe how man are STILL complaining that this team/offense runs too much. The starting QB just finished a game 5 of 16 for 36 yds passing. Maybe, just maybe, Coach Fritz and Coach Ruse are not real comfortable opening up a passing attack yet in this program. We have a lot of talent at RB and no consistently accurate arms. If this offense started passing more and put up a few 12 of 30 for 90 yards, how many think we would win? I would venture to say the same complainers would be screaming that the coaching staff is stupid and can't design an offense to fit the personnel.
Maybe some people would complain either way, but the FIU game was the perfect example of putting Tulane in a situation where both Tulane and FIU were equally effective with the run. Because of that, and, because of FIU's effectiveness with the pass, Tulane had to try passing since that was the only way that it could keep up or win. It did not work out and the end result was somewhat disappointing given that FIU's opponent passing efficiency rank is #93 (passing against FIU is effective), so it is not as though it had even an average passing defense.
Tulane's Secondary was suppose to be the Highlight of the D...seems like everyone can throw on it....whaaa happened ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17866
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 am

golfnut69 wrote: Tulane's Secondary was suppose to be the Highlight of the D...seems like everyone can throw on it....whaaa happened ?
They rarely see passes in practice. They are always defending the run. So come game time they are not as prepared to defend against it. When we had a pass oriented offense our pass defense was seeing it everyday in practice so come game time it was better prepared. When you don’t have a QB that can throw it’s tough to practice against the pass.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1704
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 am

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: Tulane's Secondary was suppose to be the Highlight of the D...seems like everyone can throw on it....whaaa happened ?
They rarely see passes in practice. They are always defending the run. So come game time they are not as prepared to defend against it. When we had a pass oriented offense our pass defense was seeing it everyday in practice so come game time it was better prepared. When you don’t have a QB that can throw it’s tough to practice against the pass.
It's shocking that FIU WR T. Owens, who was lined up almost exclusively against Parry Nickerson, had 6 catches for 152 yards.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7857
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:00 am

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: Tulane's Secondary was suppose to be the Highlight of the D...seems like everyone can throw on it....whaaa happened ?
They rarely see passes in practice. They are always defending the run. So come game time they are not as prepared to defend against it. When we had a pass oriented offense our pass defense was seeing it everyday in practice so come game time it was better prepared. When you don’t have a QB that can throw it’s tough to practice against the pass.

If in fact that is the case, why is the Pro Style QB's on the Roster not throwing the ball ?...or has WF not heard of the term "Scout Team"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12296
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:20 am

netshorty wrote:
winwave wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Rushing:
TU: 203 yards (Hilliard 12 rushes for 90 yards, 1 td, Banks 20 rushes for 59 yards, Bradwell 1 for 29 yards, Badies 4 rushes for 21 yards)
.
On spot analysis. Our RBs combined for 17 carries, and averaged over 8 yards per carry. So who carried the ball the most, Banks, with 20 carries, more than all our RBs combined, and Banks averaged less than 3 yards per carry--there is something fundamentally wrong when your QB runs more than all of your talented RBs.
Good point HW. I agree that Banks shouldn't be carrying the ball more than our backs. I think Willie got a little too enamored with him after that last Army series. He needs to reign this thing in before the season gets away from us.
Please look back at the history of WF terrible play calling all the way back to last year when GC more often than not had more rushing attempts than our backs. Nothing to do with being "enamored with" or "feeling out" Banks. It's the bi-product of this so called imaginative offnse. I chronicled it last year... Different QB, same predictable offense.
First off last years stats don't back your claim up. You also have to remember that sacks count as running plays in college. Then the fact that while some thought we were running QB draws the fact is most of the time they were pass plays where the pocket collapsed right away and he had to take off. Also Hilliard was playing hurt for the last 3 games.

Secondly he is enamored with Banks. Watch his press conference and his TV show. Listen to his radio show. More importantly watch his actions. He had never shied away from playing two QB's. Yet last week when he clearly wasn't getting it done running or passing he never took him out .

The offense has stunk in all aspects under WF so far. That includes play calling.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12296
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:29 am

anEngineer wrote:I can't believe how man are STILL complaining that this team/offense runs too much. The starting QB just finished a game 5 of 16 for 36 yds passing. Maybe, just maybe, Coach Fritz and Coach Ruse are not real comfortable opening up a passing attack yet in this program. We have a lot of talent at RB and no consistently accurate arms. If this offense started passing more and put up a few 12 of 30 for 90 yards, how many think we would win? I would venture to say the same complainers would be screaming that the coaching staff is stupid and can't design an offense to fit the personnel.
So another one advocating that we should forego the forward psss. Before the last series we averaged less than a pass per series. Yet we only had 10 points from the running game. What I said was we need balance and we need to work on the passing game. The staff needs to put in designed rollouts so our QB's aren't sitting ducks in the pocket. Just like RB's say they can't get in a rhythm when they share carries the same goes with a QB who has to throw the ball on a consistent basis to get his rythym going. Then as I said when the QB is having a bad game you pull him.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17866
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:39 am

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: Tulane's Secondary was suppose to be the Highlight of the D...seems like everyone can throw on it....whaaa happened ?
They rarely see passes in practice. They are always defending the run. So come game time they are not as prepared to defend against it. When we had a pass oriented offense our pass defense was seeing it everyday in practice so come game time it was better prepared. When you don’t have a QB that can throw it’s tough to practice against the pass.

If in fact that is the case, why is the Pro Style QB's on the Roster not throwing the ball ?...or has WF not heard of the term "Scout Team"
Not WF’s style of play. No pro style QB on the roster that I know of. Nebraska is off this week so perhaps there’s plans to bring in Tanner Lee to run the Scout team. We can practice getting INT’s. :lol:
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1499
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:55 am

RobertM320 wrote:Since I wasn't able to watch the game due to other obligations, I'm not sure what the Team rushing attempt for -20 yds was, but vs FIU, Banks carried 20 times, and the rest of the offense carried 20 times. So it was even.

Here's your LARGER body of work.

Now, for the rest of the season: (RB means running backs and WRs for the purpose of this graph)

Grambling - QBs 19, RBs 32
Navy - QBs 12, RBs 34
Oklahoma - QBs 27, RBs 35
Army - QBs 11, RBs 19
Tulsa - QBs 12, RBs 58

So facts seem to indicate that our QB RARELY has as many carries as the rest of our offense. In fact, this is the VERY FIRST time this season that our QB had as many carries as our RBs. Maybe it was more a matter of FIU putting Banks in a position that a lot of times the only choice was to keep it?
That's the whole point of the FIU game--because Banks ran so much, our offense did nothing. And what was so frustrating about it is that our RBs ran well against FIU--we just didn't use them. If our passing game is dead and buried, as it was against FIU, then we might as well have Brantley at QB. Brantley makes better decisions and is clearly a better runner than any of our other QBs. And best of all, Brantley gets the ball into the hands of our RBs.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7857
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:59 am

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: Tulane's Secondary was suppose to be the Highlight of the D...seems like everyone can throw on it....whaaa happened ?
They rarely see passes in practice. They are always defending the run. So come game time they are not as prepared to defend against it. When we had a pass oriented offense our pass defense was seeing it everyday in practice so come game time it was better prepared. When you don’t have a QB that can throw it’s tough to practice against the pass.

If in fact that is the case, why is the Pro Style QB's on the Roster not throwing the ball ?...or has WF not heard of the term "Scout Team"
Not WF’s style of play. No pro style QB on the roster that I know of. Nebraska is off this week so perhaps there’s plans to bring in Tanner Lee to run the Scout team. We can practice getting INT’s. :lol:
what happen to the QB from Mandeville Glen C ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:31 am

HoustonWave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Since I wasn't able to watch the game due to other obligations, I'm not sure what the Team rushing attempt for -20 yds was, but vs FIU, Banks carried 20 times, and the rest of the offense carried 20 times. So it was even.

Here's your LARGER body of work.

Now, for the rest of the season: (RB means running backs and WRs for the purpose of this graph)

Grambling - QBs 19, RBs 32
Navy - QBs 12, RBs 34
Oklahoma - QBs 27, RBs 35
Army - QBs 11, RBs 19
Tulsa - QBs 12, RBs 58

So facts seem to indicate that our QB RARELY has as many carries as the rest of our offense. In fact, this is the VERY FIRST time this season that our QB had as many carries as our RBs. Maybe it was more a matter of FIU putting Banks in a position that a lot of times the only choice was to keep it?
That's the whole point of the FIU game--because Banks ran so much, our offense did nothing. And what was so frustrating about it is that our RBs ran well against FIU--we just didn't use them. If our passing game is dead and buried, as it was against FIU, then we might as well have Brantley at QB. Brantley makes better decisions and is clearly a better runner than any of our other QBs. And best of all, Brantley gets the ball into the hands of our RBs.
That's my thought. I think a big question that needs to be asked of WF on Wednesday's show is why Banks kept the ball himself so much instead of handing off to the RBs. Was it something FIU did, was it poor reads on Banks part, or were they plays Fritz called?
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1499
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:46 am

RobertM320 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Since I wasn't able to watch the game due to other obligations, I'm not sure what the Team rushing attempt for -20 yds was, but vs FIU, Banks carried 20 times, and the rest of the offense carried 20 times. So it was even.

Here's your LARGER body of work.

Now, for the rest of the season: (RB means running backs and WRs for the purpose of this graph)

Grambling - QBs 19, RBs 32
Navy - QBs 12, RBs 34
Oklahoma - QBs 27, RBs 35
Army - QBs 11, RBs 19
Tulsa - QBs 12, RBs 58

So facts seem to indicate that our QB RARELY has as many carries as the rest of our offense. In fact, this is the VERY FIRST time this season that our QB had as many carries as our RBs. Maybe it was more a matter of FIU putting Banks in a position that a lot of times the only choice was to keep it?
That's the whole point of the FIU game--because Banks ran so much, our offense did nothing. And what was so frustrating about it is that our RBs ran well against FIU--we just didn't use them. If our passing game is dead and buried, as it was against FIU, then we might as well have Brantley at QB. Brantley makes better decisions and is clearly a better runner than any of our other QBs. And best of all, Brantley gets the ball into the hands of our RBs.
That's my thought. I think a big question that needs to be asked of WF on Wednesday's show is why Banks kept the ball himself so much instead of handing off to the RBs. Was it something FIU did, was it poor reads on Banks part, or were they plays Fritz called?
That is definitely the question that needs to be asked. And if he says Banks kept the ball because the FIU defense dictated it, then why didn't Banks have more yards per carry. If FIU was stuffing the middle, then Banks did a really lousy job carrying the ball to the perimeter--something Brantley does quite well. I'm not convinced that FIU was stuffing the middle, evidenced by our RB's high yards per carry. All the evidence suggests that it was Banks himself that kept the football out of our RBs hands, and the coaching staff apparently didn't do anything to change that.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:59 am

You could hear FIU players stating that they "played their gaps" well in the post-game interviews. That puts our QB in a situation where he gets very little from the pre-snap read. Once the ball was snapped d-lineman, LB's & DB's were committed to one gap by "out-zoning" the zone with speed, athleticism & pressure. There were opportunities to be exploited by our offense, but like the NFL, it came down to personal match-ups that the QB has to identify on the fly under a hailstorm of pressure.
Unless you're Alabama this is tough to replicate in practice, so games like FIU are part of the development process of QB's, Receivers & RB's.
Thank you for the lesson Butch!
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6497
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for the explanation, wave97. That kind of detail is helpful to those of us like me that never actually played football at any organized level.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1499
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:40 pm

wave97 wrote:You could hear FIU players stating that they "played their gaps" well in the post-game interviews. That puts our QB in a situation where he gets very little from the pre-snap read. Once the ball was snapped d-lineman, LB's & DB's were committed to one gap by "out-zoning" the zone with speed, athleticism & pressure. There were opportunities to be exploited by our offense, but like the NFL, it came down to personal match-ups that the QB has to identify on the fly under a hailstorm of pressure.
Unless you're Alabama this is tough to replicate in practice, so games like FIU are part of the development process of QB's, Receivers & RB's.
Thank you for the lesson Butch!
That certainly would explain why Banks had so much trouble, but it also may explain why we were able to pierce the center of their D line for several long gainers--something that we should have kept doing until they adjusted and stopped us.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Post Reply