FIU wins 23-10

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

DfromCT wrote:And most college teams, even the best ones, have a bad week. Look at Clemson losing to Syracuse as another example. It doesn't mean we're a good team that had a bad week. To me, we're almost a mediocre team that had a bad week. Play like that and any team on our schedule could and should beat us. We sucked, no doubt.

But I also don't see anyone that is on the payroll taking snaps or defending. Coach Fritz is no better or worse than he was a week ago. Some just love to jump on him when we lose. This loss goes on the coaching staff, as does every win and loss.
But it also goes on the young men who started believing the BS here and in the press. We're not that good PERIOD. Yes, Dino Babers would have been a better hire. But we couldn't get him, probably because we are Tulane not Syracuse. We have a history of losses like this, rather than upset wins. That doesn't change overnight. Time to move on to USF.
Tell you what, when we are consistently rated in the Top 25 and contend for Conference and National Championships, I'll accept that point of thinking. Until then it's an EXCUSE!!

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

TURVS71 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:And most college teams, even the best ones, have a bad week. Look at Clemson losing to Syracuse as another example. It doesn't mean we're a good team that had a bad week. To me, we're almost a mediocre team that had a bad week. Play like that and any team on our schedule could and should beat us. We sucked, no doubt.

But I also don't see anyone that is on the payroll taking snaps or defending. Coach Fritz is no better or worse than he was a week ago. Some just love to jump on him when we lose. This loss goes on the coaching staff, as does every win and loss.
But it also goes on the young men who started believing the BS here and in the press. We're not that good PERIOD. Yes, Dino Babers would have been a better hire. But we couldn't get him, probably because we are Tulane not Syracuse. We have a history of losses like this, rather than upset wins. That doesn't change overnight. Time to move on to USF.

Tell you what, when we are consistently rated in the Top 25 and contend for Conference and National Championships, I'll accept that point of thinking. Until then it's an EXCUSE!!
Show me a team that's ranked 1 through 130 that doesn't have a bad week? Even Alabama doesn't fire on all cylinders each and every game. You know enough about the game to realize that Fritz is no worse or better a coach this week than he was Friday evening. It's not an excuse. It's what happened and what happens. Teams don't play at their peek every week. Hell, the Patriots, under arguably the best coach in Football history, peeked in November the year they won all their regular season games and lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl. Had they played their best football, as was displayed in Indianapolis in mid-November of that year, they would have won the Super Bowl, been undefeated, and crowned as the best team of all time. But poor coaching cost them the game on the biggest stage, so I guess Belichek is a lousy coach.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
TURVS71
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
TURVS71 wrote:

Show me a team that's ranked 1 through 130 that doesn't have a bad week? Even Alabama doesn't fire on all cylinders each and every game. You know enough about the game to realize that Fritz is no worse or better a coach this week than he was Friday evening. It's not an excuse. It's what happened and what happens. Teams don't play at their peek every week. Hell, the Patriots, under arguably the best coach in Football history, peeked in November the year they won all their regular season games and lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl. Had they played their best football, as was displayed in Indianapolis in mid-November of that year, they would have won the Super Bowl, been undefeated, and crowned as the best team of all time. But poor coaching cost them the game on the biggest stage, so I guess Belichek is a lousy coach.

Love your passion BUT you just made my point. "Reasons" and "Excuses."
Alabama and New England? Give me a break!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Here's the Box Score with some analysis:

Total Yards Gained:
TU: 239 yards
FIU: 438 yards

Turnovers:
TU: 2
FIU: 2

Time of Possession: (Fritzball turned upside down...)
TU: 23:10
FIU: 36:50

First downs gained:
TU:18
FIU:23

3rd down efficiency:
TU: 2/11
FIU: 6/14

Passing:
TU: 36 yards (Banks 5/16 completions)
FIU: 220 yards (17/31 completions, 1 td)

Rushing:
TU: 203 yards (Hilliard 12 rushes for 90 yards, 1 td, Banks 20 rushes for 59 yards, Bradwell 1 for 29 yards, Badies 4 rushes for 21 yards)

FIU: 213 yards (Gardner 20 rushes for 79 yards, Price 6 for 51 yards)

Penalties:
TU: 1 for 15 yards
FIU: 11 for 115 yards
*We were given gift after gift penalties by FIU and we couldn't capitalize them into points. We got a total of 3 points from all those penalties.

Let's look at the TU drives to tell a story: This is just from an offensive side of the ball...

1st Possession: PUNT (Pay attention to our larger yards gained. First one came from an option right pitch to Encalade which gained 19 yards)
4 PLAYS, 43 YARDS, 2:27
1st and 10 at TULN 20
(8:23 - 1st) Terren Encalade run for 19 yds to the Tulan 39 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at TULN 39
(8:23 - 1st) Jonathan Banks pass complete to Charles Jones II for a loss of 3 yards to the Tulan 36
2nd and 13 at TULN 36
(8:23 - 1st) Jonathan Banks run for a loss of 1 yard to the Tulan 35
3rd and 14 at TULN 35
(8:23 - 1st) Dontrell Hilliard run for 8 yds to the Tulan 43
4th and 6 at TULN 43
(8:23 - 1st) Zachary Block punt for 46 yds , Tony Gaiter IV returns for 16 yds to the FLAINTL 41 FLORIDA INTL Penalty, illegal block (10 Yards) to the FlaIn 17

2nd Possession: FG
1st and 10 at TULN 25
(3:04 - 1st) Jonathan Banks pass complete to Jacob Robertson Jr. for 8 yds to the Tulan 33
2nd and 2 at TULN 33
(3:04 - 1st) Dontrell Hilliard run for 3 yds to the Tulan 36 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at TULN 36
(3:04 - 1st) Dontrell Hilliard run for 30 yds to the FlaIn 34 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 34
(3:04 - 1st) Jonathan Banks run for 2 yds to the FlaIn 32
2nd and 8 at FIU 32
(3:04 - 1st) Dontrell Hilliard run for 9 yds to the FlaIn 23 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 23
(3:04 - 1st) Jonathan Banks run for 2 yds to the FlaIn 21

3rd possession: PUNT (Notice that the yards we gained the most were from running the ball?)
(7:49 - 2nd) Sean Young kickoff for 65 yds for a touchback FLORIDA INTL Penalty, Defensive offside (Richard Dames)
1st and 10 at TULN 30
(7:49 - 2nd) BANKS, J. pass incomplete to ROBERTSON, J., PENALTY FIU pass interference (DAMES, Richard) 15 yards to the TLN45, 1ST DOWN TLN, NO PLAY.
1st and 10 at TULN 45
(7:49 - 2nd) Jonathan Banks pass complete to Jacob Robertson Jr. for 4 yds to the Tulan 49
2nd and 6 at TULN 49
(7:49 - 2nd) Dontrell Hilliard run for 7 yds to the FLAINTL 44 for a 1ST down FLORIDA INTL Penalty, personal foul (15 Yards) to the FlaIn 29 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 29
(7:49 - 2nd) Jonathan Banks run for 1 yd to the FlaIn 28
2nd and 9 at FIU 28
(7:49 - 2nd) Sherman Badie run for 5 yds to the FlaIn 23
3rd and 4 at FIU 23
(7:49 - 2nd) TEAM run for no gain to the FlaIn 43 TEAM fumbled, recovered by Tulan Jonathan Banks
4th and 24 at FIU 43
(7:49 - 2nd) Zachary Block punt for 28 yds, fair catch by Tony Gaiter IV at the FlaIn 15

4th Possession: stopped on 4th down (why pass on 3rd and 4th down when running the ball is moderately working?)
1st and 10 at TULN 47
(2:18 - 2nd) Jonathan Banks run for 3 yds to the 50 yard line
2nd and 7 at 50
(2:18 - 2nd) Dontrell Hilliard run for 9 yds to the FlaIn 41 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 41
(2:18 - 2nd) BANKS, J. pass incomplete to MOONEY, Darnell, PENALTY FIU personal foul (MUHAMMAD, Brad) 15 yards to the FIU26, 1ST DOWN TLN, NO PLAY.
1st and 10 at FIU 26
(2:18 - 2nd) Jonathan Banks pass incomplete
2nd and 10 at FIU 26
(2:18 - 2nd) Jonathan Banks run for 6 yds to the FlaIn 20
(1:08 - 2nd) Timeout TULANE, clock 01:08
3rd and 4 at FIU 20
(1:08 - 2nd) Dontrell Hilliard run for 1 yd to the FlaIn 19
(1:01 - 2nd) Timeout TULANE, clock 01:01
4th and 3 at FIU 19
(1:01 - 2nd) Jonathan Banks sacked by Bryce Canady for a loss of 6 yards to the FlaIn 25

5th Possession: Banks throws an INT (run, run, run some more then pass?)
1st and 10 at TULN 25
(15:00 - 3rd) Jonathan Banks run for 6 yds to the Tulan 31
2nd and 4 at TULN 31
(15:00 - 3rd) Dontrell Hilliard run for 3 yds to the Tulan 34
3rd and 1 at TULN 34
(15:00 - 3rd) Dontrell Hilliard run for 3 yds to the Tulan 37 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at TULN 37
(15:00 - 3rd) Jonathan Banks pass intercepted Brad Muhammad return for 11 yds to the FlaIn 29

6th Possession: Ground attack TD Wave.. Kept it on the ground and good things happened
1st and 10 at TULN 25
(8:55 - 3rd) Sherman Badie run for 6 yds to the Tulan 31
2nd and 4 at TULN 31
(8:55 - 3rd) Sherman Badie run for 7 yds to the Tulan 38 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at TULN 38
(8:55 - 3rd) Darius Bradwell run for 29 yds to the FlaIn 33 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 33
(8:55 - 3rd) Jonathan Banks run for 5 yds to the FlaIn 28
2nd and 5 at FIU 28
(8:55 - 3rd) Stephon Huderson run for 5 yds to the FlaIn 23 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 23
(8:55 - 3rd) Jonathan Banks run for 11 yds to the FlaIn 12 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 12
(5:25 - 3rd) Dontrell Hilliard run for 12 yds for a TD, (Merek Glover KICK)

7th Possession: PUNT (Why are we not pounding the ball? You run on first down for 3 yards and then pass on second down? That puts you behind schedule.)
1st and 10 at TULN 22
(3:31 - 3rd) Jonathan Banks run for 3 yds to the Tulan 25
2nd and 7 at TULN 25
(3:31 - 3rd) Jonathan Banks pass incomplete to Terren Encalade
3rd and 7 at TULN 25
(3:31 - 3rd) Jonathan Banks run for 5 yds to the Tulan 30
4th and 2 at TULN 30
(3:31 - 3rd) Zachary Block punt for 48 yds, punt out-of-bounds at the FlaIn 22

8th Possession: PUNT (Glenn had a brain fart and bobbled the punt which led to his knee touching the ground and ball being downed at Tulane 2 yard line. We have seen Glenn do this many times in the past 3 years, so it's troubling he still has this tendency.)
1st and 10 at TULN 2
(13:07 - 4th) Dontrell Hilliard run for 2 yds to the Tulan 4
2nd and 8 at TULN 4
(13:07 - 4th) Dontrell Hilliard run for 3 yds to the Tulan 7
3rd and 5 at TULN 7
(13:07 - 4th) Jonathan Banks run for 3 yds to the Tulan 10
4th and 2 at TULN 10
(13:07 - 4th) Zachary Block punt for 45 yds, fair catch by Tony Gaiter IV at the FlaIn 45

9th Possession: Fumble by banks
1st and 10 at TULN 33
(8:14 - 4th) Jonathan Banks sacked by Fermin Silva for a loss of 4 yards to the Tulan 29
2nd and 14 at TULN 29
(8:14 - 4th) Jonathan Banks run for 3 yds to the Tulan 32
3rd and 11 at TULN 32
(8:14 - 4th) Jonathan Banks run for a loss of 8 yards to the Tulan 27 Jonathan Banks fumbled, recovered by FlaIn Jermaine Sheriff

10th Possession (last): 4th down stop
1st and 10 at TULN 25
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks run for 4 yds to the Tulan 29
2nd and 6 at TULN 29
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks pass incomplete to Jabril Clewis
3rd and 6 at TULN 29
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks pass incomplete to Terren Encalade, broken up by Brad Muhammad
4th and 6 at TULN 29
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks pass complete to Jabril Clewis for 25 yds to the FlaIn 46 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 46
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks pass incomplete to Charles Jones II
2nd and 10 at FIU 46
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks run for 14 yds to the FlaIn 32 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 32
2nd and 10 at FIU 32
3rd and 10 at FIU 32
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks run for 13 yds to the FlaIn 19 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 19
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks pass incomplete to Terren Encalade, broken up by Noah Curtis
2nd and 10 at FIU 19
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks pass incomplete to Terren Encalade
3rd and 10 at FIU 19
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks pass complete to Dontrell Hilliard for 2 yds to the FlaIn 17
(3:13 - 4th) Timeout TULANE, clock 03:13
4th and 8 at FIU 17
(3:13 - 4th) Jonathan Banks sacked by Fermin Silva and Fred Russ for a loss of 6 yards to the FlaIn 23

My theory on the bad play calling by WF is that he is still learning Banks skill set and was dead set after Tulsa that Banks is throwing qb and not much of a runner, even though previous games have shown us otherwise. Why was this loss on WF? Well, our strongest part of the offense from last year to this year is by far our running backs and running game. Yes, Fritz has stated he wanted to add more passing, but when our lineman play their best when run blocking, why not just pound the ball? Our biggest gainers on the day were from attacking the edge with the option, so why not continue that? FIU was not good at defending the option attack especially on the edge, but why stop that completely? This would have been a game where if we put in Brantley in the second half and just did a ground attack, I think the game would have changed completely, but we resisted and tried to keep throwing it... We have an NFL caliber running back in Hilliard and Bradwell's big gainer set up our only TD of the day, so why not continue? That was the biggest part of the game that made me very concerned. Maybe this was just an off weekend for Fritz, but the fact is that when our most successful identity has been controlling the ball and running it, why shun away from it?

I am still bull-ish on Fritz, but this past weekend has tapered my expectations. My pitchfork is being sharped, but the torch is still on hold. Our dreams of reaching a bowl game this year took a hit with this loss, but still reachable IF Fritz can turn this ship around. This was just an awful game, awful game plan, and awful execution by our boys. I would put this loss more on the coaching staff than our boys.

We can't simmer on this loss too long because we have "Yulman Fest" this weekend against #18 USF. If our passing defense doesn't get any better, we are going to be in for a long Saturday. I have a feeling it will feel like an old Tulsa game before they lost all their talent if we can't fix this problem ASAP. FIU had all day to throw, we had a ton of missed tackles (How does Ade miss a free run sack on QB? Because he tried to hit him way too high..) When we played press coverage, FIU ran short slants to rip 9-15 yards... Our secondary has seen better days. ****On a side-note, I got a call from my Tulane ticket rep today trying to convince me to buy more tickets for this weekend's game and I just laughed and said no. I really hope WF can sneak an upset in this weekend. This will really lift out spirits and restore lots of lost faith in WF... Happy Monday, Roll DAMN Wave.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

So gps you agree with WF that we should never pass the ball? We only threw it 8 times before the last drive. What we need is serious work on our passing game and we need to make a serious commitment to balance it out.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:So gps you agree with WF that we should never pass the ball? We only threw it 8 times before the last drive. What we need is serious work on our passing game and we need to make a serious commitment to balance it out.
WF knows that you need to pass the ball to recruit and/or get a better job. He is tired of answering questions about his time at GSU. Unfortunately we don;t appear to have the personnel to throw the ball effectively. 36 yards passing in a football game (at any level) is unacceptable.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote:So gps you agree with WF that we should never pass the ball? We only threw it 8 times before the last drive. What we need is serious work on our passing game and we need to make a serious commitment to balance it out.
I don't agree that we should never pass the ball. You have to have a throwing game to keep defenses honest. However, when something isn't working during the game, like the passing game, while the running game is working, for the purposes of that game, why don't you just resume running the ball? You need to do anything you can to try to squeeze out a win and when our identity or what has worked the best for us has been running the ball, controlling possessions and the clock, why deviate from it? It's not a mystery that our O-line is woeful at pass protection. Banks had 0 time to set his feet and throw the ball all day, so why keep trying to throw when you can't protect all day?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We know from his past that he believes in having some balance. However reading his post game comments makes it easy to believe that he doesn't believe in the forward pass . As I said above he needs to make a serious commitment to it rather than just give it lip service. He's got to have the team work on it during the week. If he backs up those post game comments by passing even less then running the ball will just get tougher and tougher.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
I don't agree that we should never pass the ball. You have to have a throwing game to keep defenses honest. However, when something isn't working during the game, like the passing game, while the running game is working, for the purposes of that game, why don't you just resume running the ball? You need to do anything you can to try to squeeze out a win and when our identity or what has worked the best for us has been running the ball, controlling possessions and the clock, why deviate from it? It's not a mystery that our O-line is woeful at pass protection. Banks had 0 time to set his feet and throw the ball all day, so why keep trying to throw when you can't protect all day?
We threw less than a pass a series before that 10th drive. So the running game wasn't getting it done by itself. As for that series where you said we threw it on 3rd and 4th down we ran it on third down. The point is that all we did was run and we got embarrassed anyway.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
We threw less than a pass a series before that 10th drive. So the running game wasn't getting it done by itself. As for that series where you said we threw it on 3rd and 4th down we ran it on third down. The point is that all we did was run and we got embarrassed anyway.
My gripe is that when we ran the option pitch to the edge, we were getting big gainers. FIU's defensive line was getting penetration all day, but when we ran the edges or the option pitch, we had large gains. When we would try to have our O-line pass protect, Banks would get all jittery and have happy feet (and try to take off). The point is, why stop running the plays that got your large gains? WF has said our base play is a "zone-dive" and our TD drive showed that the running game had some success, but it took a while to establish. When we tried to replicate our scoring drive, we quickly went away from what worked and tried throwing again, and that's my gripe about this past weekend.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Here's the Box Score with some analysis:

Total Yards Gained:

Turnovers:

First downs gained:

3rd down efficiency:

Passing:

Rushing:
TU: 203 yards (Hilliard 12 rushes for 90 yards, 1 td, Banks 20 rushes for 59 yards, Bradwell 1 for 29 yards, Badies 4 rushes for 21 yards)

Penalties:
*We were given gift after gift penalties by FIU and we couldn't capitalize them into points. We got a total of 3 points from all those penalties.

Let's look at the TU drives to tell a story: This is just from an offensive side of the ball...

1st Possession: PUNT (Pay attention to our larger yards gained. First one came from an option right pitch to Encalade which gained 19 yards)
1st and 10 at TULN 20
1st and 10 at TULN 39
(8:23 - 1st) Jonathan Banks pass complete to Charles Jones II for a loss of 3 yards to the Tulan 36
2nd and 13 at TULN 36
3rd and 14 at TULN 35
4th and 6 at TULN 43
(8:23 - 1st) Zachary Block punt for 46 yds , Tony Gaiter IV returns for 16 yds to the FLAINTL 41 FLORIDA INTL Penalty, illegal block (10 Yards) to the FlaIn 17

1st and 10 at TULN 25
(3:04 - 1st) Jonathan Banks pass complete to Jacob Robertson Jr. for 8 yds to the Tulan 33
2nd and 2 at TULN 33
1st and 10 at TULN 36
1st and 10 at FIU 34
2nd and 8 at FIU 32
1st and 10 at FIU 23

3rd possession: PUNT (Notice that the yards we gained the most were from running the ball?)
(7:49 - 2nd) Sean Young kickoff for 65 yds for a touchback FLORIDA INTL Penalty, Defensive offside (Richard Dames)
1st and 10 at TULN 30
(7:49 - 2nd) BANKS, J. pass incomplete to ROBERTSON, J., PENALTY FIU pass interference (DAMES, Richard) 15 yards to the TLN45, 1ST DOWN TLN, NO PLAY.
1st and 10 at TULN 45
(7:49 - 2nd) Jonathan Banks pass complete to Jacob Robertson Jr. for 4 yds to the Tulan 49
2nd and 6 at TULN 49
(7:49 - 2nd) Dontrell Hilliard run for 7 yds to the FLAINTL 44 for a 1ST down FLORIDA INTL Penalty, personal foul (15 Yards) to the FlaIn 29 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 29
2nd and 9 at FIU 28
3rd and 4 at FIU 23
(7:49 - 2nd) TEAM run for no gain to the FlaIn 43 TEAM fumbled, recovered by Tulan Jonathan Banks
4th and 24 at FIU 43
(7:49 - 2nd) Zachary Block punt for 28 yds, fair catch by Tony Gaiter IV at the FlaIn 15

4th Possession: stopped on 4th down (why pass on 3rd and 4th down when running the ball is moderately working?)
1st and 10 at TULN 47
2nd and 7 at 50
1st and 10 at FIU 41
(2:18 - 2nd) BANKS, J. pass incomplete to MOONEY, Darnell, PENALTY FIU personal foul (MUHAMMAD, Brad) 15 yards to the FIU26, 1ST DOWN TLN, NO PLAY.
1st and 10 at FIU 26
2nd and 10 at FIU 26
3rd and 4 at FIU 20
4th and 3 at FIU 19
(1:01 - 2nd) Jonathan Banks sacked by Bryce Canady for a loss of 6 yards to the FlaIn 25

1st and 10 at TULN 25
2nd and 4 at TULN 31
3rd and 1 at TULN 34
1st and 10 at TULN 37
(15:00 - 3rd) Jonathan Banks pass intercepted Brad Muhammad return for 11 yds to the FlaIn 29

6th Possession: Ground attack TD Wave.. Kept it on the ground and good things happened
1st and 10 at TULN 25
2nd and 4 at TULN 31
1st and 10 at TULN 38
1st and 10 at FIU 33
2nd and 5 at FIU 28
1st and 10 at FIU 23
1st and 10 at FIU 12

7th Possession: PUNT (Why are we not pounding the ball? You run on first down for 3 yards and then pass on second down? That puts you behind schedule.)
1st and 10 at TULN 22
2nd and 7 at TULN 25
3rd and 7 at TULN 25
4th and 2 at TULN 30

8th Possession: PUNT (Glenn had a brain fart and bobbled the punt which led to his knee touching the ground and ball being downed at Tulane 2 yard line. We have seen Glenn do this many times in the past 3 years, so it's troubling he still has this tendency.)
1st and 10 at TULN 2
2nd and 8 at TULN 4
3rd and 5 at TULN 7
4th and 2 at TULN 10
(13:07 - 4th) Zachary Block punt for 45 yds, fair catch by Tony Gaiter IV at the FlaIn 45

1st and 10 at TULN 33
(8:14 - 4th) Jonathan Banks sacked by Fermin Silva for a loss of 4 yards to the Tulan 29
2nd and 14 at TULN 29
3rd and 11 at TULN 32
(8:14 - 4th) Jonathan Banks run for a loss of 8 yards to the Tulan 27 Jonathan Banks fumbled, recovered by FlaIn Jermaine Sheriff

1st and 10 at TULN 25
2nd and 6 at TULN 29
3rd and 6 at TULN 29
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks pass incomplete to Terren Encalade, broken up by Brad Muhammad
4th and 6 at TULN 29
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks pass complete to Jabril Clewis for 25 yds to the FlaIn 46 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FIU 46
2nd and 10 at FIU 46
1st and 10 at FIU 32
2nd and 10 at FIU 32
3rd and 10 at FIU 32
1st and 10 at FIU 19
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks pass incomplete to Terren Encalade, broken up by Noah Curtis
2nd and 10 at FIU 19
3rd and 10 at FIU 19
(5:30 - 4th) Jonathan Banks pass complete to Dontrell Hilliard for 2 yds to the FlaIn 17
4th and 8 at FIU 17
(3:13 - 4th) Jonathan Banks sacked by Fermin Silva and Fred Russ for a loss of 6 yards to the FlaIn 23

My theory on the bad play calling by WF is that he is still learning Banks skill set and was dead set after Tulsa that Banks is throwing qb and not much of a runner, even though previous games have shown us otherwise. Why was this loss on WF? Well, our strongest part of the offense from last year to this year is by far our running backs and running game. Yes, Fritz has stated he wanted to add more passing, but when our lineman play their best when run blocking, why not just pound the ball? Our biggest gainers on the day were from attacking the edge with the option, so why not continue that? FIU was not good at defending the option attack especially on the edge, but why stop that completely? This would have been a game where if we put in Brantley in the second half and just did a ground attack, I think the game would have changed completely, but we resisted and tried to keep throwing it... We have an NFL caliber running back in Hilliard and Bradwell's big gainer set up our only TD of the day, so why not continue? That was the biggest part of the game that made me very concerned. Maybe this was just an off weekend for Fritz, but the fact is that when our most successful identity has been controlling the ball and running it, why shun away from it?

I am still bull-ish on Fritz, but this past weekend has tapered my expectations. My pitchfork is being sharped, but the torch is still on hold. Our dreams of reaching a bowl game this year took a hit with this loss, but still reachable IF Fritz can turn this ship around. This was just an awful game, awful game plan, and awful execution by our boys. I would put this loss more on the coaching staff than our boys.

We can't simmer on this loss too long because we have "Yulman Fest" this weekend against #18 USF. If our passing defense doesn't get any better, we are going to be in for a long Saturday. I have a feeling it will feel like an old Tulsa game before they lost all their talent if we can't fix this problem ASAP. FIU had all day to throw, we had a ton of missed tackles (How does Ade miss a free run sack on QB? Because he tried to hit him way too high..) When we played press coverage, FIU ran short slants to rip 9-15 yards... Our secondary has seen better days. ****On a side-note, I got a call from my Tulane ticket rep today trying to convince me to buy more tickets for this weekend's game and I just laughed and said no. I really hope WF can sneak an upset in this weekend. This will really lift out spirits and restore lots of lost faith in WF... Happy Monday, Roll DAMN Wave.
On spot analysis. Our RBs combined for 17 carries, and averaged over 8 yards per carry. So who carried the ball the most, Banks, with 20 carries, more than all our RBs combined, and Banks averaged less than 3 yards per carry--there is something fundamentally wrong when your QB runs more than all of your talented RBs. FIU never stopped our running game, the coaching staff stopped it, ala Buddy Teevens who was famous for doing this. To me, it's not a question of whether we should have run more and thrown less (though that is where I lean), or whether we should have passed more and run less, what is absolute is that Banks shouldn't be getting more carries than our RBs--therein lies the problem. I wondered the same thing in the second half, that we might have been better off with Brantley and running the ball more--at least until FIU proved they could stop it--then pass. I am really perplexed at WF's inability to adjust during the games--he just seems to stick with the same thing even when it clearly isn't working--and that's a real concern. I've been on the WF bandwagon since before we hired CJ, but these are real head scratchers that can't continue if we are to have any chance at a bowl this year. Come on Willie, let the Big Dogs in our backfield run!!
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
winwave wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
My gripe is that when we ran the option pitch to the edge, we were getting big gainers. FIU's defensive line was getting penetration all day, but when we ran the edges or the option pitch, we had large gains. When we would try to have our O-line pass protect, Banks would get all jittery and have happy feet (and try to take off). The point is, why stop running the plays that got your large gains? WF has said our base play is a "zone-dive" and our TD drive showed that the running game had some success, but it took a while to establish. When we tried to replicate our scoring drive, we quickly went away from what worked and tried throwing again, and that's my gripe about this past weekend.
One can't blame our QB's from getting jittery behind our line. We need to move our mobile QB's around in the pocket rather than letting them get slaughtered in the pocket.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Here's the Box Score with some analysis:

Total Yards Gained:

Turnovers:

First downs gained:

3rd down efficiency:

Passing:

Rushing:

Penalties:

1st and 10 at TULN 20
1st and 10 at TULN 39
2nd and 13 at TULN 36
3rd and 14 at TULN 35
4th and 6 at TULN 43

1st and 10 at TULN 25
2nd and 2 at TULN 33
1st and 10 at TULN 36
1st and 10 at FIU 34
2nd and 8 at FIU 32
1st and 10 at FIU 23

1st and 10 at TULN 30
1st and 10 at TULN 45
2nd and 6 at TULN 49
1st and 10 at FIU 29
2nd and 9 at FIU 28
3rd and 4 at FIU 23
4th and 24 at FIU 43

1st and 10 at TULN 47
2nd and 7 at 50
1st and 10 at FIU 41
1st and 10 at FIU 26
2nd and 10 at FIU 26
3rd and 4 at FIU 20
4th and 3 at FIU 19

1st and 10 at TULN 25
2nd and 4 at TULN 31
3rd and 1 at TULN 34
1st and 10 at TULN 37

1st and 10 at TULN 25
2nd and 4 at TULN 31
1st and 10 at TULN 38
1st and 10 at FIU 33
2nd and 5 at FIU 28
1st and 10 at FIU 23
1st and 10 at FIU 12

1st and 10 at TULN 22
2nd and 7 at TULN 25
3rd and 7 at TULN 25
4th and 2 at TULN 30

1st and 10 at TULN 2
2nd and 8 at TULN 4
3rd and 5 at TULN 7
4th and 2 at TULN 10

1st and 10 at TULN 33
2nd and 14 at TULN 29
3rd and 11 at TULN 32

1st and 10 at TULN 25
2nd and 6 at TULN 29
3rd and 6 at TULN 29
4th and 6 at TULN 29
1st and 10 at FIU 46
2nd and 10 at FIU 46
1st and 10 at FIU 32
2nd and 10 at FIU 32
3rd and 10 at FIU 32
1st and 10 at FIU 19
2nd and 10 at FIU 19
3rd and 10 at FIU 19
4th and 8 at FIU 17

On spot analysis. Our RBs combined for 17 carries, and averaged over 8 yards per carry. So who carried the ball the most, Banks, with 20 carries, more than all our RBs combined, and Banks averaged less than 3 yards per carry--there is something fundamentally wrong when your QB runs more than all of your talented RBs. FIU never stopped our running game, the coaching staff stopped it, ala Buddy Teevens who was famous for doing this. To me, it's not a question of whether we should have run more and thrown less (though that is where I lean), or whether we should have passed more and run less, what is absolute is that Banks shouldn't be getting more carries than our RBs--therein lies the problem. I wondered the same thing in the second half, that we might have been better off with Brantley and running the ball more--at least until FIU proved they could stop it--then pass. I am really perplexed at WF's inability to adjust during the games--he just seems to stick with the same thing even when it clearly isn't working--and that's a real concern. I've been on the WF bandwagon since before we hired CJ, but these are real head scratchers that can't continue if we are to have any chance at a bowl this year. Come on Willie, let the Big Dogs in our backfield run!!
Good point HW. I agree that Banks shouldn't be carrying the ball more than our backs. I think Willie got a little too enamored with him after that last Army series. He needs to reign this thing in before the season gets away from us.
swampnik
Surge

Giving Hilliard twice as many carries may have turned the tide into a Wave win.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
galvezwave
Swell

It's option, right? Is the problem banks or fritz if Hilliard isn't getting 15-17 carries. This system is too much "playing with fire". If we have 1 more (just 1) clock chewing long touchdown drive, it would have probably eliminated one of theirs. That's a 14 point swing and it's a win or a shot at one. There is just no margin for error, seemingly no plan B.

this is my last lament on the game, just so ill-timed , debilitating, goodwill crushing loss. Couple 3 or 4 hundred grand in revenue lost for this Saturday also. Just not ready to play with the bigger kids, and that's such a huge disappointment.

Alright I'm done, lets get it together and win a goddam game or 2 .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:It's option, right? Is the problem banks or fritz if Hilliard isn't getting 15-17 carries. This system is too much "playing with fire". If we have 1 more (just 1) clock chewing long touchdown drive, it would have probably eliminated one of theirs. That's a 14 point swing and it's a win or a shot at one. There is just no margin for error, seemingly no plan B.

this is my last lament on the game, just so ill-timed , debilitating, goodwill crushing loss. Couple 3 or 4 hundred grand in revenue lost for this Saturday also. Just not ready to play with the bigger kids, and that's such a huge disappointment.

To quote an old Coach..."You are never as Good as your last Win, or as Bad as your last Loss,... unless you are Tulane "
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:It's option, right? Is the problem banks or fritz if Hilliard isn't getting 15-17 carries. This system is too much "playing with fire". If we have 1 more (just 1) clock chewing long touchdown drive, it would have probably eliminated one of theirs. That's a 14 point swing and it's a win or a shot at one. There is just no margin for error, seemingly no plan B.

To quote an old Coach..."You are never as Good as your last Win, or as Bad as your last Loss,... unless you are Tulane "

Whoever he was , he wasn't lying
Aberzombie1892
Swell

What's really interesting is that Tulane and FIU roughly had the same amount of yards per carry - Tulane averaged 5.1 yards per carry and FIU averaged 5.0 yards per carry. Given that the rushing output was roughly the same on a per rush basis, it may have made sense for Tulane to attempt to mix in more passes as FIU's success with both rushing and passing would have functionally prevented Tulane from defeating FIU solely by rushing.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Rushing:
On spot analysis. Our RBs combined for 17 carries, and averaged over 8 yards per carry. So who carried the ball the most, Banks, with 20 carries, more than all our RBs combined, and Banks averaged less than 3 yards per carry--there is something fundamentally wrong when your QB runs more than all of your talented RBs.
Good point HW. I agree that Banks shouldn't be carrying the ball more than our backs. I think Willie got a little too enamored with him after that last Army series. He needs to reign this thing in before the season gets away from us.
Please look back at the history of WF terrible play calling all the way back to last year when GC more often than not had more rushing attempts than our backs. Nothing to do with being "enamored with" or "feeling out" Banks. It's the bi-product of this so called imaginative offnse. I chronicled it last year... Different QB, same predictable offense.
RobertM320
Green Wave

netshorty wrote:
Please look back at the history of WF terrible play calling all the way back to last year when GC more often than not had more rushing attempts than our backs. Nothing to do with being "enamored with" or "feeling out" Banks. It's the bi-product of this so called imaginative offnse. I chronicled it last year... Different QB, same predictable offense.
Or how about instead we go back one WEEK, when we had 70 rushing attempts. The QBs carried the ball 12 times, the RBs 58. Where's that QB's have more rushing attempts thing? I was never a football player but just like last year, it was obvious a lot of those QB keepers weren't the designed call. If our QBs aren't making the right read, you can't blame that on the coach or the system, that's on the player.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
netshorty
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:
netshorty wrote:
Or how about instead we go back one WEEK, when we had 70 rushing attempts. The QBs carried the ball 12 times, the RBs 58. Where's that QB's have more rushing attempts thing? I was never a football player but just like last year, it was obvious a lot of those QB keepers weren't the designed call. If our QBs aren't making the right read, you can't blame that on the coach or the system, that's on the player.
I tend to like to look at a larger body of work than one week. But if this is the creative offense that WF supposedly was bringing with him... I've not been impressed. Further, a good coach puts his players in position to succeed. If repeatedly we're saying the player didn't run the designed play (i know that was the case with GC last year), then is he designing the right play?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Since I wasn't able to watch the game due to other obligations, I'm not sure what the Team rushing attempt for -20 yds was, but vs FIU, Banks carried 20 times, and the rest of the offense carried 20 times. So it was even.

Here's your LARGER body of work.

Now, for the rest of the season: (RB means running backs and WRs for the purpose of this graph)

Grambling - QBs 19, RBs 32
Navy - QBs 12, RBs 34
Oklahoma - QBs 27, RBs 35
Army - QBs 11, RBs 19
Tulsa - QBs 12, RBs 58

So facts seem to indicate that our QB RARELY has as many carries as the rest of our offense. In fact, this is the VERY FIRST time this season that our QB had as many carries as our RBs. Maybe it was more a matter of FIU putting Banks in a position that a lot of times the only choice was to keep it?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

And you can't at all go by last season, because we all know GC wasn't suited at all for this offense, and Brantley was injured and could only run or hand off.
netshorty
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:And you can't at all go by last season, because we all know GC wasn't suited at all for this offense, and Brantley was injured and could only run or hand off.
I didn't realize the offensive (meant both ways) play calling didn't count last year. I'm just going by the statement he made coming in that he will tailor the offense to his personnel, which he didn't do last year and hasn't impressed this year either.
RobertM320
Green Wave

netshorty wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:And you can't at all go by last season, because we all know GC wasn't suited at all for this offense, and Brantley was injured and could only run or hand off.
I didn't realize the offensive (meant both ways) play calling didn't count last year. I'm just going by the statement he made coming in that he will tailor the offense to his personnel, which he didn't do last year and hasn't impressed this year either.
I think your interpretation of what that means is different, that's all. He's not going to completely redesign his offense for players that are only here a year or two. He may take some things out of his playbook that they're not capable of doing or add a play or two, but he's not going to completely revamp the offense. He's going to recruit the players he needs to run HIS offense. This is not the NFL. You can't just go out and buy the players you need in free agency (unless you're in the SEC). And if a player doesn't fit, he doesn't fit. Adrian Peterson on the Saints was a perfect example. So right now, some of the players we have don't fit the scheme, and the ones that do are mostly freshman or sophomores.

If he finishes 5-7, he will have won 9 games his first two seasons. Since the mid 1930's when Red Dawson was the coach, there have only been FIVE Tulane coaches who won as many or more their first two seasons: Bennie Ellender, Vince Gibson, Greg Davis, Tommy Bowden and Chris Scelfo. ONLY Bowden took over a team than hadn't been to a bowl game in the year prior to their arrival. The other four replaced successful coaches that took us to bowl games. He will have done more with less in his first two years than any coach we've had in the past 80 years except for Bowden.

I get it. Some of you hate the run oriented offense. Others expect that Bowden was the norm. But as I said in a previous thread, I don't want the one or two year flash in the pan. I want a program that can go to bowls EVERY year, can compete for conference titles EVERY year, be ranked EVERY year. The jury is still out on Fritz, but he's done more towards laying down a REAL long-term, solid foundation than anyone in the past 80 years except Bowden. And if it takes another year for us to take that next step, so be it.