FIU wins 23-10

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
swampnik
High Tide
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 am
Location: Paris, France et NOLA
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:14 pm



nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6447
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Even with the standings are what they are now, Tulane finishing outside of the bottom of the AAC West seems extremely unlikely, and, more importantly, Tulane's bowl hopes are on life support. It's true that Tulane can still pull out 6 wins, but, if a few of the weaker remaining opponents can replicate FIU's success, remaining games that were likely wins may turn into rough losses.

Too many people are trying to play both sides. Yes, we lost a game we didn't expect to lose, so now we need to get one somewhere else. For one, we've always had ECU and Cincy as good possibilites, but I would now add Houston to that mix. Regardless of what underlying outside influence you may want to use to explain Tulsa's collapse against us, we still beat them soundly. And yet, if they can beat Houston, we can as well. Houston actually still has players on their team from the last time we beat them, so its not like its been ages ago. Right now, everyone in the AAC has some flaws, except maybe UCF and USF, and I'm not sold on either of them yet.

Go back to our preseason projections. The consensus was pretty much 5-7, because we all expected a loss somewhere along the line that we shouldn't have. And we know the OOC is always easier than conference. Sorry to add fact and reality to everyone's pity party, but they're EXACTLY where we projected them to be. If the season plays out as expected, and the team ends up 5-7, we can be disappointed because of the missed opportunities, but we can NOT say we're surprised. Now if we finish worse than that, that's another story. Let the season play out.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3070
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:04 pm

Just because the team could possibly finish where most predicted them to, it doesn’t mean that they didn’t stink it up along the way in ways they shouldn’t have. It’s time to hold WF accountable. This was a CJ/Toledo type loss. If WF is who many SAY he is, then this shouldn’t happen. But it did. And it’s not the first time. Those are the facts.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6447
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:42 pm

You do realize that if you're predicting a team to go 5-7, this means they're not good yet? And if they're not good, they're probably not very consistent either, because consistent would breed success. Therefore, you're going to get a game like this. I mean, the 2002 team you were on was at least decent, correct? Good enough to win a bowl game and yet inconsistent enough to lose to a WINLESS Army team. 1979's 9-3 team lost to a two win Rice team. It happens.

Or to put it another way: I assume you're saying you'd rather be where we were in 2014, because CJ somehow took his turd of a team and beat Houston? That team MUST have been better than this one, right? I mean, just look, they beat Houston! I doubt there's very many people on this board that could look themselves in the mirror and say that with a straight face.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 769
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:48 pm

No one wanted to hear it when I broke down the scoring by quarter but this game proved the point, Fritz does not perform 2nd half. Other coaches adjust, he doesn't. This game we didn't come out firing on all cylinders and so we got blown out.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call and shot in the arm. A win against USF would make everyone forget about fiu.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6447
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:52 pm

Ruski wrote:No one wanted to hear it when I broke down the scoring by quarter but this game proved the point, Fritz does not perform 2nd half. Other coaches adjust, he doesn't. This game we didn't come out firing on all cylinders and so we got blown out.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call and shot in the arm. A win against USF would make everyone forget about fiu.
They outscored us by 7 in the first half. They outscored us by 6 in the second half. How does that fit into your narrative?

This game, we didn't come out firing at all. Period. That's why we lost. But its got nothing to do with the second half compared to the first half.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6116
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Online

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 pm

HoustonWave wrote:You could tell from the very first series, that Tulane was flat and completely unprepared to play the game. And it was very Teevenistic to only have Hilliard carry the ball 12 times—FIU couldn’t stop him, but our coaching staff sure did. Lastly, it is clear that we have a glaring need for a QB like Lindsay Scott. If Scott comes to Tulane, he will start the first game of next year. Scott is a much better passer and decision maker than Banks.
He's not here, and we have to play the cards we're dealt, not those we wish we had.

This was a bad loss, no doubt. But we can't start playing fantasy college football with players we don't have in the fold. Besides, are you comparing Scott's JUCO film to Banks' JUCO film? I'd rather not watch JUCO film, but Scott doesn't have any D1 highlights at this time.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 1516
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:02 pm

The point is, that THIS game, was a DEFINITE win. Period. Has nothing to do with predictions, past teams or performances. We LOST to an inferior talented team. That's a fact. This loss lies solely on this coaching staff. Letdown my ass, this was COACHING!!! This program has struggled now for so many years. Much of that struggling has been and is self-inflicted. You have a top 20 team coming in next weekend, potential for a decent crowd, a national ESPN, Prime time audience and all the hype and you go and blow it all with a piss poor performance. No excuses. Coach Fritz, this lies squarely on you and your staffs shoulders. I just hope that we are not at the beginning of a 3 game losing streak.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17736
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Ruski wrote:No one wanted to hear it when I broke down the scoring by quarter but this game proved the point, Fritz does not perform 2nd half. Other coaches adjust, he doesn't. This game we didn't come out firing on all cylinders and so we got blown out.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call and shot in the arm. A win against USF would make everyone forget about fiu.
I said that last week in the Tulsa Gameday Thread. We’ve only outscored one team in 6 games this year in the 2nd half (Grambling).
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:27 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Even with the standings are what they are now, Tulane finishing outside of the bottom of the AAC West seems extremely unlikely, and, more importantly, Tulane's bowl hopes are on life support. It's true that Tulane can still pull out 6 wins, but, if a few of the weaker remaining opponents can replicate FIU's success, remaining games that were likely wins may turn into rough losses.

Too many people are trying to play both sides. Yes, we lost a game we didn't expect to lose, so now we need to get one somewhere else. For one, we've always had ECU and Cincy as good possibilites, but I would now add Houston to that mix. Regardless of what underlying outside influence you may want to use to explain Tulsa's collapse against us, we still beat them soundly. And yet, if they can beat Houston, we can as well. Houston actually still has players on their team from the last time we beat them, so its not like its been ages ago. Right now, everyone in the AAC has some flaws, except maybe UCF and USF, and I'm not sold on either of them yet.

Go back to our preseason projections. The consensus was pretty much 5-7, because we all expected a loss somewhere along the line that we shouldn't have. And we know the OOC is always easier than conference. Sorry to add fact and reality to everyone's pity party, but they're EXACTLY where we projected them to be. If the season plays out as expected, and the team ends up 5-7, we can be disappointed because of the missed opportunities, but we can NOT say we're surprised. Now if we finish worse than that, that's another story. Let the season play out.
The Tulane vs FIU was important as it was the first game in which Tulane played an non-elite, non-option FBS team that did not have one of the worst 5 defenses in FBS, and, as a result, it was the first game in which Tulane fans could see what the team could do and the team disappointed. It's true that no one realistically predicted that Tulane would be an 7 regular season win team, this loss (1) places the stretch goal of bowl eligibility in jeopardy and (2) confirms some concerns that some fans had about the team.

Prior to the game, there were legitimate concerns that (1) Tulane could not win games if it was forced to pass and (2) Tulane's secondary appeared relatively weak, and that game confirmed that those concerns were valid. To phrase it differently, Tulane is currently ranked #106 in the nation in defensive passing efficiency, which means it's in the bottom 25 teams in defending the pass, and it's ranked #95 in its own passing efficiency, which is not much better. Neither the former or the latter are significant issues as long as Tulane's ground game has a big day, but, if that does not happen, Tulane will be in a tough spot, and, given that Tulane was in a tough spot versus FIU, that raises concerns about the rest of the season since Tulane will be facing more than a few teams that are much better than FIU.

As an aside, the issue with using this season as a mulligan is that the defense is likely to regress next season due to roster turnover, and, if that happens and this offense does not improve dramatically, season 3 of Fritz may look like seasons 1 and 2 of Fritz.
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:14 pm

DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:You could tell from the very first series, that Tulane was flat and completely unprepared to play the game. And it was very Teevenistic to only have Hilliard carry the ball 12 times—FIU couldn’t stop him, but our coaching staff sure did. Lastly, it is clear that we have a glaring need for a QB like Lindsay Scott. If Scott comes to Tulane, he will start the first game of next year. Scott is a much better passer and decision maker than Banks.
He's not here, and we have to play the cards we're dealt, not those we wish we had.

This was a bad loss, no doubt. But we can't start playing fantasy college football with players we don't have in the fold. Besides, are you comparing Scott's JUCO film to Banks' JUCO film? I'd rather not watch JUCO film, but Scott doesn't have any D1 highlights at this time.
D, you’re the master of the obvious. I think we all know we don’t have a talent like Lindsay Scott, but that doesn’t keep us from hoping that we might. In the meantime your right we are stuck with what we have at QB— which isn’t much. I don’t have to see Banks JUCO film because I know he isn’t getting it done at Tulane. From everything we know of Scott from high school and now JUCO, he’s head and shoulders better than Banks. Wake up D, you’re asleep at the wheel again and making no sense again.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17736
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:40 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Prior to the game, there were legitimate concerns that (1) Tulane could not win games if it was forced to pass and (2) Tulane's secondary appeared relatively weak, and that game confirmed that those concerns were valid. To phrase it differently, Tulane is currently ranked #106 in the nation in defensive passing efficiency, which means it's in the bottom 25 teams in defending the pass, and it's ranked #95 in its own passing efficiency, which is not much better. Neither the former or the latter are significant issues as long as Tulane's ground game has a big day, but, if that does not happen, Tulane will be in a tough spot, and, given that Tulane was in a tough spot versus FIU, that raises concerns about the rest of the season since Tulane will be facing more than a few teams that are much better than FIU.

As an aside, the issue with using this season as a mulligan is that the defense is likely to regress next season due to roster turnover, and, if that happens and this offense does not improve dramatically, season 3 of Fritz may look like seasons 1 and 2 of Fritz.
Good analysis. I’ll add my 2 cents. One main reason we’re weak at pass defense is because we never see any passing in practice. The offense is 77% rushing therefore our DB’s are not well prepared game time when it comes to defending the pass. How can you get better at defending the pass if you’re always practicing against a run?
In 6 games we’ve avg’d 65 plays on offense. The breakdown as follows:
50 rushes per game and 15 passes per game.
So 77% of the time we’re going to run it and only 23% of the time attempt to pass.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... /2017.html
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6116
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Online

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:37 am

HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:You could tell from the very first series, that Tulane was flat and completely unprepared to play the game. And it was very Teevenistic to only have Hilliard carry the ball 12 times—FIU couldn’t stop him, but our coaching staff sure did. Lastly, it is clear that we have a glaring need for a QB like Lindsay Scott. If Scott comes to Tulane, he will start the first game of next year. Scott is a much better passer and decision maker than Banks.
He's not here, and we have to play the cards we're dealt, not those we wish we had.

This was a bad loss, no doubt. But we can't start playing fantasy college football with players we don't have in the fold. Besides, are you comparing Scott's JUCO film to Banks' JUCO film? I'd rather not watch JUCO film, but Scott doesn't have any D1 highlights at this time.
D, you’re the master of the obvious. I think we all know we don’t have a talent like Lindsay Scott, but that doesn’t keep us from hoping that we might. In the meantime your right we are stuck with what we have at QB— which isn’t much. I don’t have to see Banks JUCO film because I know he isn’t getting it done at Tulane. From everything we know of Scott from high school and now JUCO, he’s head and shoulders better than Banks. Wake up D, you’re asleep at the wheel again and making no sense again.
Yet your post shed so much light on this game. Thanks for posting.

And cheers to all those that thought Coach Fritz was about to get a P5 job, too.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
greenie78
High Tide
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:24 am

This game has almost made me lose all my faith in WF and the rest of the team.
User avatar
Bigschtick
Swell
Posts: 2287
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 am

TURVS71 wrote:The point is, that THIS game, was a DEFINITE win. Period. Has nothing to do with predictions, past teams or performances. We LOST to an inferior talented team. That's a fact. This loss lies solely on this coaching staff. Letdown my ass, this was COACHING!!! This program has struggled now for so many years. Much of that struggling has been and is self-inflicted. You have a top 20 team coming in next weekend, potential for a decent crowd, a national ESPN, Prime time audience and all the hype and you go and blow it all with a piss poor performance. No excuses. Coach Fritz, this lies squarely on you and your staffs shoulders. I just hope that we are not at the beginning of a 3 game losing streak.


EXACTLY!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7709
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:10 am

Bigschtick wrote:
TURVS71 wrote:The point is, that THIS game, was a DEFINITE win. Period. Has nothing to do with predictions, past teams or performances. We LOST to an inferior talented team. That's a fact. This loss lies solely on this coaching staff. Letdown my ass, this was COACHING!!! This program has struggled now for so many years. Much of that struggling has been and is self-inflicted. You have a top 20 team coming in next weekend, potential for a decent crowd, a national ESPN, Prime time audience and all the hype and you go and blow it all with a piss poor performance. No excuses. Coach Fritz, this lies squarely on you and your staffs shoulders. I just hope that we are not at the beginning of a 3 game losing streak.


EXACTLY!
I agree also...I think they took the Grambling approach,,,we will lightly go over FIU, but these practices are for the USF game a week later...this team is NOT GOOD enough to look past anyone on the schedule...Tulsa took the Tulane game as a win, they practiced for UH...the results showed
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:19 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:
TURVS71 wrote:The point is, that THIS game, was a DEFINITE win. Period. Has nothing to do with predictions, past teams or performances. We LOST to an inferior talented team. That's a fact. This loss lies solely on this coaching staff. Letdown my ass, this was COACHING!!! This program has struggled now for so many years. Much of that struggling has been and is self-inflicted. You have a top 20 team coming in next weekend, potential for a decent crowd, a national ESPN, Prime time audience and all the hype and you go and blow it all with a piss poor performance. No excuses. Coach Fritz, this lies squarely on you and your staffs shoulders. I just hope that we are not at the beginning of a 3 game losing streak.


EXACTLY!
I agree also...I think they took the Grambling approach,,,we will lightly go over FIU, but these practices are for the USF game a week later...this team is NOT GOOD enough to look past anyone on the schedule...Tulsa took the Tulane game as a win, they practiced for UH...the results showed
Hmm, I still think Banks going 5-16 for 36 yards might have had something to do with it? And, his abysmal performance had nothing whatsoever to do with Butch Davis' game plan.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12095
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:27 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:
TURVS71 wrote:The point is, that THIS game, was a DEFINITE win. Period. Has nothing to do with predictions, past teams or performances. We LOST to an inferior talented team. That's a fact. This loss lies solely on this coaching staff. Letdown my ass, this was COACHING!!! This program has struggled now for so many years. Much of that struggling has been and is self-inflicted. You have a top 20 team coming in next weekend, potential for a decent crowd, a national ESPN, Prime time audience and all the hype and you go and blow it all with a piss poor performance. No excuses. Coach Fritz, this lies squarely on you and your staffs shoulders. I just hope that we are not at the beginning of a 3 game losing streak.


EXACTLY!
I agree also...I think they took the Grambling approach,,,we will lightly go over FIU, but these practices are for the USF game a week later...this team is NOT GOOD enough to look past anyone on the schedule...Tulsa took the Tulane game as a win, they practiced for UH...the results showed
Houston losing to Tulsa was much more a case of Houston overlooking a team that got trounced by Tulane. Another significant factor was the change at QB for Tulsa. Tulsa is bad this year.
Find A Way!
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3070
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 am

RobertM320 wrote:You do realize that if you're predicting a team to go 5-7, this means they're not good yet? And if they're not good, they're probably not very consistent either, because consistent would breed success. Therefore, you're going to get a game like this. I mean, the 2002 team you were on was at least decent, correct? Good enough to win a bowl game and yet inconsistent enough to lose to a WINLESS Army team. 1979's 9-3 team lost to a two win Rice team. It happens.

Or to put it another way: I assume you're saying you'd rather be where we were in 2014, because CJ somehow took his turd of a team and beat Houston? That team MUST have been better than this one, right? I mean, just look, they beat Houston! I doubt there's very many people on this board that could look themselves in the mirror and say that with a straight face.
From 99-02, we were below average at best with Scelfo, and yes, our 2002 team was able to muster up enough wins to make a bowl and win it.

My whole point is you are probably one of WF's biggest advocates on this site, and there is nothing wrong with that. But you can't be his advocate and say he is better than anyone we've had in a long, long while, but at the same time compare him to one of Scelfo's teams. If you believe that comparison, then he isn't the coach who you say he is. Personally, I just don't understand that comparison at all from your point of view.

At the end of the day, we are all Tulane fans, and we want success. We should have won, and we didn't. The sh*t that WF and his team pulled this weekend is the same sh*t Scelfo, Toledo, and CJ pulled. Where is the improved coaching?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12095
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:14 am

Steve the quotes of WF in this article do remind one of things said by Scelfo,Toledo and CJ:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 19ce0.html
Find A Way!
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6116
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Online

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:51 am

TURVS71 wrote:The point is, that THIS game, was a DEFINITE win. Period. Has nothing to do with predictions, past teams or performances. We LOST to an inferior talented team. That's a fact. This loss lies solely on this coaching staff. Letdown my ass, this was COACHING!!! This program has struggled now for so many years. Much of that struggling has been and is self-inflicted. You have a top 20 team coming in next weekend, potential for a decent crowd, a national ESPN, Prime time audience and all the hype and you go and blow it all with a piss poor performance. No excuses. Coach Fritz, this lies squarely on you and your staffs shoulders. I just hope that we are not at the beginning of a 3 game losing streak.
I agree that this was a game we should have won going away. But it's not like there's ANY coach at Tulane that didn't lose games he was supposed to win. We're talking about 17-23 year old young men, and sometimes they just don't play to their abilities. We're not yet a good team. As someone else pointed out, the 2002 team, our last to win a bowl game, lost to a winless Army team. OU lost AT HOME to Iowa State, a team most would expect them to blow out. LSU lost to Troy State. This was a bad loss, but at this point in time, it doesn't make Fritz any better or worse coach than he was coming into the game. It doesn't make the team any better or worse than it was coming off of a blowout of Tulsa. We're knocking on the door of mediocrity; no team on our schedule is an automatic win. We have our weak points, just as every team in D1. But we're now out of the bottom 25% of D1, trying to get into the top half. It's at least a year before we start sniffing the top 25% of D1.

And I don't care what JUCO QB you want to bring in, there's no guarantee he'll deliver any more than Banks has. Banks is entitled to have a bad game. Let's move on and see if we can salvage a win against USF or Memphis. If this is the same old Tulane, we'd be looking at another long losing streak. Play well and this team still goes bowling. Let it play out.

And YES, I was totally disgruntled by the performance Saturday. But I also wasn't crowning anyone on the staff, the team, or the program as the best thing since sliced bread based upon our performance against Tulsa. We're just not that good. On any given game day...
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6447
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 am

DfromCT wrote:
TURVS71 wrote:The point is, that THIS game, was a DEFINITE win. Period. Has nothing to do with predictions, past teams or performances. We LOST to an inferior talented team. That's a fact. This loss lies solely on this coaching staff. Letdown my ass, this was COACHING!!! This program has struggled now for so many years. Much of that struggling has been and is self-inflicted. You have a top 20 team coming in next weekend, potential for a decent crowd, a national ESPN, Prime time audience and all the hype and you go and blow it all with a piss poor performance. No excuses. Coach Fritz, this lies squarely on you and your staffs shoulders. I just hope that we are not at the beginning of a 3 game losing streak.
I agree that this was a game we should have won going away. But it's not like there's ANY coach at Tulane that didn't lose games he was supposed to win. We're talking about 17-23 year old young men, and sometimes they just don't play to their abilities. We're not yet a good team. As someone else pointed out, the 2002 team, our last to win a bowl game, lost to a winless Army team. OU lost AT HOME to Iowa State, a team most would expect them to blow out. LSU lost to Troy State. This was a bad loss, but at this point in time, it doesn't make Fritz any better or worse coach than he was coming into the game. It doesn't make the team any better or worse than it was coming off of a blowout of Tulsa. We're knocking on the door of mediocrity; no team on our schedule is an automatic win. We have our weak points, just as every team in D1. But we're now out of the bottom 25% of D1, trying to get into the top half. It's at least a year before we start sniffing the top 25% of D1.

And I don't care what JUCO QB you want to bring in, there's no guarantee he'll deliver any more than Banks has. Banks is entitled to have a bad game. Let's move on and see if we can salvage a win against USF or Memphis. If this is the same old Tulane, we'd be looking at another long losing streak. Play well and this team still goes bowling. Let it play out.

And YES, I was totally disgruntled by the performance Saturday. But I also wasn't crowning anyone on the staff, the team, or the program as the best thing since sliced bread based upon our performance against Tulsa. We're just not that good. On any given game day...
Steve,

What Dave writes here is pretty much what I was saying. I'm not happy at all with the results either. Saturday was awful and embarrassing. I'm not upset that we had a bad game, because it happens to everyone, I'm more discouraged, as you are, with the fact that this seems to happen EVERY time we reach a point to take the next step. I still believe we can steal a win from either Memphis or Houston and reach 6-6 but I still feel we're a full season away before we reach a point where we can be considered a "good" team.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Surge
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:14 am

winwave wrote:Steve the quotes of WF in this article do remind one of things said by Scelfo,Toledo and CJ:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 19ce0.html
Everyone knows I've been very bull-ish on Fritz, and this weekend has made me re-evaluate my position. I waited till Monday morning to post to give myself some time to look over the box score. With that said, I am still bull-ish on Fritz, but the momentum has certainly cooled down. I still believe in WF, but man, this weekend made it very hard to keep the optimism on turning the corner with WF. This weekend's loss is squarely on WF and the coaching. This wasn't a game where we got beat because of the talent gap. This was a game where we got beat because we were simply out-coached and out-schemed to the max.

On that note, I believe Win was correct in his assessment that this team is not good, but not that bad. We are probably in the range of a little better than bad, but a step before being mediocre. We still have a long way to go and this weekend was definitely a setback in the direction we want to trend. I will post a little more explanation with the box score here shortly, but yeah, the box score and what I have to say won't be so kind on WF.

More to come shortly.
User avatar
TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 1516
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 am

I am sick and tired of the "we are a year away" '"17- 23" yo men, etc. You can go back year after year on this site and that "other" one and the exact same postings can be found. This was a COACHING loss. All college teams are made up of 17-23 year olds! What is the point of this statement? The blame is on Fritz and his staff. Why is it necessary to come up with all of these reasons ? Coaching loss, leave it at that and please stop trying to justify the loss reason. Many here say that they are embarrassed, disappointed and disgusted yet keep qualifying their feelings with all of that other BS. Coaching lost this game and that's ALL that needs to be said. At this point NO difference in coaching quality than Selfo and Johnson. There are no footnotes in the line scores that say, "same result but Fritz has them on the rise."
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6116
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Online

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:32 am

And most college teams, even the best ones, have a bad week. Look at Clemson losing to Syracuse as another example. It doesn't mean we're a good team that had a bad week. To me, we're almost a mediocre team that had a bad week. Play like that and any team on our schedule could and should beat us. We sucked, no doubt.

But I also don't see anyone that is on the payroll taking snaps or defending. Coach Fritz is no better or worse than he was a week ago. Some just love to jump on him when we lose. This loss goes on the coaching staff, as does every win and every loss. But it also goes on the young men who started believing the BS here and in the press. We're not that good PERIOD. Yes, Dino Babers would have been a better hire. But we couldn't get him, probably because we are Tulane not Syracuse. We have a history of losses like this, rather than upset wins. That doesn't change overnight. No footnotes, no asterisks, it was a lost game. Sun came up in the East on Sunday morning. We're not going to fire Willie Fritz because of this loss, nor are we going to hire some chump that kicks on third down. Time to move on to USF.
Last edited by DfromCT on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Post Reply