Tulane destroys the Hurricane- 62-28

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
winwave wrote:There's nothing wrong with admitting the obvious. Everybody has acknowledged that we beat the hell out of them the way you want to see us do it to such a team.
This beating was a long time coming. Whether we are turning a corner or Tulsa is just that bad, one thing is clear, we're learning how to beat the bad teams and learning how to beat them badly.
Yep

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

We'll be favored against FIU, Cincy, and ECU. I would be happy with 6-6, and ecstatic with 7-5. However, if we can hold serve next week I really like our chances to find a way to 8-4.
Wave QB
Swell

anEngineer wrote:On the long runs today, the down field blocking by the WRs was outstanding. They absolutely had their guys locked up, without holding.
This is something that use to drive me crazy in the CJ era. It's great to see this!

Today was a very good day for Tulane football in the Fritz era. All of our wins have been pretty exciting games to watch. Say what you want about Grambling, but they are ranked in the FCS poll and haven't lost a game since. Army is coming off a bowl season and can win 7-8 games this year as they are already 4-2. Tulsa could easily have a winning record this year as the ball just hasn't bounced in their corner with 3 close losses. We put up more numbers on them than #15 Oklahoma State!

I think the Fritz era is going in the right direction now. We are taking care of business. I am starting to feel like USF could be in for an upset.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:I really think if Banks hadn't gotten hurt vs Navy, we'd be 4-1 right now, and our game against OU would have been much closer.
Why?

The offense against Navy did NOTHING until Banks was injured.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Things needing improvement were:
The personal foul penalties. They need to be eliminated. Lucky we were able to overcome them against Tulsa. And another missed PAT. That makes 4 misses in 5 games. No wonder we don’t try FG’s.
Got outscored again in the 2nd half.
(Grambling only team we outscored). Yesterday we were trying to hold our scoring down in the 2nd half but I thought our defense let up as well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge

The breakdowns in the secondary are also a source for concern.

I liked the fact that Tulane was using the tight end yesterday in the passing game. Jones almost converted a tough fade pass in the corner end zone.

Bradwell looks as if he's made a nice transition to rb.

I think Tulane is one season away from mirroring the run-pass ratios it used at SFA under Fritz. Things should be really fun offensively in 2018 (and are not too shabby this year).
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Things needing improvement were:
The personal foul penalties. They need to be eliminated. Lucky we were able to overcome them against Tulsa. And another missed PAT. That makes 4 misses in 5 games. No wonder we don’t try FG’s.
(Grambling only team we outscored). Yesterday we were trying to hold our scoring down in the 2nd half but I thought our defense let up as well.
I hear you but most of 2cd half scoring differential is coaching. Tulane simply sits on the ball and WF's philosophy is to play the clock as much as the other guys. Yes I think too defense does lose its edge of ultra aggressiveness in these situations.

Finally Tulane simply does not have much depth. The other team's starters can light up our subs.
RobertM320
Green Wave

lurker123 wrote:
I hear you but most of 2cd half scoring differential is coaching. Tulane simply sits on the ball and WF's philosophy is to play the clock as much as the other guys. Yes I think too defense does lose its edge of ultra aggressiveness in these situations.

Finally Tulane simply does not have much depth. The other team's starters can light up our subs.
I think if you check around at a few other blowouts, you'll see the same thing. Navy was up on AF 38-17 and actually needed a last minute drive to pull out a 48-45 victory. Auburn was up 35-3 at half against Ole Miss, then gave up 20 second half points in a 44-23 victory. South Carolina was up 34-10 vs Arkansas after 3, and won 48-22. It happens to every team. The same thing that makes college football great (emotion) is why you see teams ease up late. Also, they are playing backups usually. The bottom line is, we won handily. At the end of the day, the win is all that matters.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

By the way, did you notice just how deep we went on the bench? PJ Hurst got QB time, Miles Strickland, Andrew Zuckerman and even Jared Bertrand got rushing carries. If we had stuck with our starters the whole game, we would have been in the 70's easy.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:By the way, did you notice just how deep we went on the bench? PJ Hurst got QB time, Miles Strickland, Andrew Zuckerman and even Jared Bertrand got rushing carries. If we had stuck with our starters the whole game, we would have been in the 70's easy.
It was great that WF played them. Most of us know what a grind practice is and many know how humbling it is to ride the bench game after game. For those folks riding the far end of the pine, it is exhilarating to see the field even if it's only for a few plays a season. There is a reason these folks are way down the depth chart so stats show when they play especially when other team still has starters in.

BTW why didn't McClain play? Is he hurt?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

on a side and serious note...how did the HOF induction ceremony go ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:By the way, did you notice just how deep we went on the bench? PJ Hurst got QB time, Miles Strickland, Andrew Zuckerman and even Jared Bertrand got rushing carries. If we had stuck with our starters the whole game, we would have been in the 70's easy.
Not only that- they ate up most of the last 5 minutes of the game.
Really love to see that - get the ball with 8 minutes left and don't relinquish it.
Have to credit the OL. They pushed Tulsa around.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The color man on the broadcast, was impressed by the "Team Attitude" of Tulane, each pulling for and supporting the other teammate .....Ray Bentley was the guys name....
TEAM:
Together
Everyone
Achieves
More
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

The personal fouls seemed to be an unfortunate result of being TOTALLY jacked up to play and win this game. Hopefully, they get more used to playing important games and it becomes more routine. As for sitting on the clock, I remember hearing an interview years ago with 49ers coach Bill Walsh. He said he would start managing drives with clock midway through the 3rd qtr.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:
anEngineer wrote:On the long runs today, the down field blocking by the WRs was outstanding. They absolutely had their guys locked up, without holding.
This is something that use to drive me crazy in the CJ era. It's great to see this!

Today was a very good day for Tulane football in the Fritz era. All of our wins have been pretty exciting games to watch. Say what you want about Grambling, but they are ranked in the FCS poll and haven't lost a game since. Army is coming off a bowl season and can win 7-8 games this year as they are already 4-2. Tulsa could easily have a winning record this year as the ball just hasn't bounced in their corner with 3 close losses. We put up more numbers on them than #15 Oklahoma State!

I think the Fritz era is going in the right direction now. We are taking care of business. I am starting to feel like USF could be in for an upset.
As for Army their wins are over Fordham, Buffalo, UTEP and Rice. Saying they are 4-2 is meaningless. They are not a good football team. Saying a team was a Bowl team also doesn't have the same meaning it did years ago. There are 80 teams that make Bowl games. Tulsa lost a ton of talent and their D is the absolute worst. The good news is we made a last minute drive and Banks had his coming out party against Army. We trounced a horrid Tulsa team the way you should. We are making progress and still have a lot to improve on. We don't need to overplay things. We are finally getting better.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

lurker123 wrote:
It was great that WF played them. Most of us know what a grind practice is and many know how humbling it is to ride the bench game after game. For those folks riding the far end of the pine, it is exhilarating to see the field even if it's only for a few plays a season. There is a reason these folks are way down the depth chart so stats show when they play especially when other team still has starters in.

BTW why didn't McClain play? Is he hurt?
No he's not. From what the announcers said, Brantley is technically the 3rd QB. But in that particular situation WF wanted Brantley because he's the best runner of the QBs.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The announcers were wrong. Brantley is number 2. He was hurt against Oklahoma and is better now.
greenphantom
Swell

winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

As for Army their wins are over Fordham, Buffalo, UTEP and Rice. Saying they are 4-2 is meaningless. They are not a good football team. Saying a team was a Bowl team also doesn't have the same meaning it did years ago. There are 80 teams that make Bowl games. Tulsa lost a ton of talent and their D is the absolute worst. The good news is we made a last minute drive and Banks had his coming out party against Army. We trounced a horrid Tulsa team the way you should. We are making progress and still have a lot to improve on. We don't need to overplay things. We are finally getting better.
Fair assessment but I am optimistic that this is the best Tulane team we’ve had since 2002. Not ready to compete for a conference title but certainly a solid team.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'm optimistic too. I thought my post conveyed that. If it didn't I hope this does. My point is that we don't have to overplay anything as it is clear to us long time followers that we are getting better.
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:The color man on the broadcast, was impressed by the "Team Attitude" of Tulane, each pulling for and supporting the other teammate
There has definitely been an attitude change. My seat is directly behind the visitor's bench. I found it interesting that throughout the second half in spite of an embarrassing deficit, the Tulsa players were laughing, cutting up, playing grabass with towels, etc. This is exactly what I observed from the CJ bench. (For some reason, the first few games of the opening season at Yulman, the Tulane bench was on the press box side of the field.)
chain gang x man
Swell

anEngineer wrote:
The personal fouls seemed to be an unfortunate result of being TOTALLY jacked up to play and win this game. Hopefully, they get more used to playing important games and it becomes more routine. As for sitting on the clock, I remember hearing an interview years ago with 49ers coach Bill Walsh. He said he would start managing drives with clock midway through the 3rd qtr.
The personal fouls were the result of baiting by the Tulsa players
The referee finally had to tell the Tulsa players to stop the “chirping”
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

Saying they are 4-2 isn't meaningless. I know being a bowl qualifying team doesn't carry the weight it use to by far, but being a bowl program is better than what we have been. Army, (who beat Navy last year), went to a bowl game and will go to another one this year. Mark it down. Nobody is putting them on a Michigan or Notre Dame list, but they aren't a "bad" football team. The win over Army is a notable win.

To dismiss a blowout over a program that has owned us is ridiculous as well. So what if Tulsa lost players! Nobody else beat them the way that we did this season. We did what so called good teams are supposed to do vs struggling non P5 teams. How many times have you seen that in Yulman?

Come on Winwave! We have something to be optimistic about. Nobody is overplaying anything. We have plenty of room to improve, but it's safe to say we are actually moving in the right direction. I can't overplay our 3-2 record, but I refuse to underplay it as well. For the first time since 2013, we have a chance to go to a bowl game. Even if it's the Bud Broiler Bowl, it's better than sitting at home going 3-9 after horrible QB play and poor coaching. See Tanner Lee/Price/McDonnell/CJ for more details.

Hey people, we just racked up 62 points against Tulsa! I am happy this week!
Wave QB
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:The color man on the broadcast, was impressed by the "Team Attitude" of Tulane, each pulling for and supporting the other teammate
There has definitely been an attitude change. My seat is directly behind the visitor's bench. I found it interesting that throughout the second half in spite of an embarrassing deficit, the Tulsa players were laughing, cutting up, playing grabass with towels, etc. This is exactly what I observed from the CJ bench. (For some reason, the first few games of the opening season at Yulman, the Tulane bench was on the press box side of the field.)
I saw this change in the first game of the season. We seem to be a hungry program as well.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
anEngineer wrote:
The personal fouls were the result of baiting by the Tulsa players
The referee finally had to tell the Tulsa players to stop the “chirping”
But we took the bait. 8-)
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

Saying they are 4-2 isn't meaningless. I know being a bowl qualifying team doesn't carry the weight it use to by far, but being a bowl program is better than what we have been. Army, (who beat Navy last year), went to a bowl game and will go to another one this year. Mark it down. Nobody is putting them on a Michigan or Notre Dame list, but they aren't a "bad" football team. The win over Army is a notable win.

To dismiss a blowout over a program that has owned us is ridiculous as well. So what if Tulsa lost players! Nobody else beat them the way that we did this season. We did what so called good teams are supposed to do vs struggling non P5 teams. How many times have you seen that in Yulman?

Come on Winwave! We have something to be optimistic about. Nobody is overplaying anything. We have plenty of room to improve, but it's safe to say we are actually moving in the right direction. I can't overplay our 3-2 record, but I refuse to underplay it as well. For the first time since 2013, we have a chance to go to a bowl game. Even if it's the Bud Broiler Bowl, it's better than sitting at home going 3-9 after horrible QB play and poor coaching. See Tanner Lee/Price/McDonnell/CJ for more details.

Hey people, we just racked up 62 points against Tulsa! I am happy this week!
Please work on your reading comprehension. I didn't say Army was a bad team. However it clearly wasn't a notable win. They have improved under Monken but they have a long way to go. They beat Navy after worth got hurt in the previous game. The notable thing that happened was the WAY we won it and I posted that very clearly in the Army GameDay thread. It was absolutely a confidence builder in many ways.

As for the victory over Tulsa I haven't dismissed it at all. I said in multiple post that we beat them the way we have longed hope we would. We clearly built off that momentum from the thrilling ending to the Army game and I think we will continue to.

I am optimistic and clearly stated that when someone else indicated they thought I wasn't. Just b/c one is honest and realistic in their postings doesn't mean they aren't positive. I hope Banks stays healthy. If he does I think we will start to see us use the passing game more. He's catching onto the offense and we are therefore adding to it. He hasn't played at this level. As he gets more experience he will continue to get even better. As far as I'm concerned he's now worth the price of admission all by himself.

Relax and enjoy.