Tulane destroys the Hurricane- 62-28

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Defense definitely needs to work on pass defense. Mostly the younger players missing their reads. At least they'll have film to work on, and it doesn't cost us a game.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenie78
Riptide

This game is reminding me of year one with Bowden/RichRod
Houma de Wave
Swell

SUCK IT UP, TULSA! YOU TOOK IT TO US TOO MANY TIMES IN THE PAST!
RobertM320
Green Wave

62-28 the final. Tulane with 653 yards of offense, 488 rushing.

TOP: 43:38 Tulane, 16:22 Tulsa.

Tulsa only ran 48 offensive plays, when Coach Montgomery said their goal is 85-90 offensive plays a game.

Credit the offense for that, by keeping the sticks moving. 31 first downs for the Wave.

Payback is fun!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

some in game updates from the Tulsa World

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/t ... c8cec.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

I have never hid my opinion that we have our coach. Im trying to not get overly excited about this win , just like I didn't get too down about navy. We have work to do and have some holes. I don't know about turning corners yet. But the needle moved today . Bigly.
galvezwave
Swell

I also think we're going to beat one of those teams we're not supposed to.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:I have never hid my opinion that we have our coach. Im trying to not get overly excited about this win , just like I didn't get too down about navy. We have work to do and have some holes. I don't know about turning corners yet. But the needle moved today . Bigly.
I agree...I do think if Banks had played the whole game navy would have been in the W column...then this season takes on a whole 'nother meaning
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
OUG
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:I also think we're going to beat one of those teams we're not supposed to.
USF is the game I would circle. It’s at home, and I honestly don’t think Flowers is going to beat us with his arm. They’re a good but flawed team. They make a lot of mental mistakes. They haven’t played a defense as good as ours yet. We will probably be two TD underdogs but I think it could happen.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

galvezwave wrote:I have never hid my opinion that we have our coach. Im trying to not get overly excited about this win , just like I didn't get too down about navy. We have work to do and have some holes. I don't know about turning corners yet. But the needle moved today . Bigly.
Exactly, but this win is good regardless since it certainly keeps Tulane's bowl hopes alive with @FIU (3-1), @ECU (1-4), and Cincinnati (2-3) remaining. Assuming that Tulane defeats those teams, wins over Houston, Memphis, USF, and SMU will not be necessary fin order for Tulane to go bowling. However, that being said, it's interesting to wonder how high in the AAC West Tulane could climb this season.
galvezwave
Swell

if you look at Usf, Memphis,Houston and smu, Do they scare you enough to shay we can't beat any of them? Considering what we saw today?
Jaxwave
Swell

Guys, Let's take a deep breath. Great game but Tulsa defense is garbage.
galvezwave
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:Guys, Let's take a deep breath. Great game but Tulsa defense is garbage.
I'm pretty sure I indicated that in my first post. Moved the needle today. Don't get too high. I think people are starting to believe that we will present problems for the top teams in the conference. I don't think anyone is putting in the caa championship game yet.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:Guys, Let's take a deep breath. Great game but Tulsa defense is garbage.
I'm pretty sure I indicated that in my first post. Moved the needle today. Don't get too high. I think people are starting to believe that we will present problems for the top teams in the conference. I don't think anyone is putting in the caa championship game yet.
Gents we have a real coach. My bullish sentiment was proven right today. Great win! Roll damn wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

looking at the results and projected results from the early games..there will be at least two conferences that will not be able to fill their bowl allotments ...
Aberzombie1892
Swell

galvezwave wrote:if you look at Usf, Memphis,Houston and smu, Do they scare you enough to shay we can't beat any of them? Considering what we saw today?
This is a tough question. In the preseason, Tulsa was billed as an AAC West contender, but that has not turned out to be true and it's season basically ended (i.e. bowl hopes) when it fell to 1-4 with a loss at home to New Mexico last week. According to the NCAA FBS stats, prior to the Tulsa v. Tulane game Tulsa was ranked #127 out of #129 FBS teams in total D by allowing 574.4 yards per game. In the Tulsa v. Tulane game, Tulsa allowed 653 yards, which is only about 75 more yards than its average. While Tulane certainly played a complete game, it does mean that it would be unreasonable to expect a similar performance against better teams in the AAC West and USF.

Tulsa stats out of #129 FBS teams prior to the games this weekend:
#127 in total D
#123 in scoring D
#129 in rushing D (yes, Tulsa has the worst FBS rushing D in the nation prior to Tulane game)

Tulane is still on track for a bowl game and that's all that matters for now, but, if Tulane upsets one of USF, SMU, Houston, Memphis, etc., expectations can be adjusted.
Robert1969
Riptide

Tulsa's awful defense most certainly contributed to Tulane's offensive success. But in years past a Tulane offense would not have racked up these yards and scores. Tulane did against an awful defense what you are supposed to do against an awful defense. That is a very good sign of things to come from Coach Willie Fritz's team.
RobertM320
Green Wave

galvezwave wrote:if you look at Usf, Memphis,Houston and smu, Do they scare you enough to shay we can't beat any of them? Considering what we saw today?
Anyone who can throw the long pass. We really were pitiful on the deep ball today.
greenphantom
Swell

Tulsa is crap this year but it was impressive how we steamrolled them. Banks and Hilliard are really good. Our secondary is a big concern but I do think we make a bowl and will be at least competitive in every game rest of way.
greenie78
Riptide

The Houston game at home is the best chance to steal one. The road game at SMU will be the most difficult.
Robert1969
Riptide

Tulane gets a big conference win and NOLA.com still doesn't have an article about it on their site. The game has been over nearly 2 and a half hours. Geesh.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Robert1969 wrote:Tulane gets a big conference win and NOLA.com still doesn't have an article about it on their site. The game has been over nearly 2 and a half hours. Geesh.
NOLA.com is waiting for ray nagin to issue an evacuation order
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave
Swell

I told y'all! We have our man.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican