"SEC SHOULD CONSIDER SWITCHING TULANE FOR VANDERBILT" - TigerRags President

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Ruski
Swell

Tulane is a better fit for the league than Vanderbilt, which is feasting from the harvest produced by its conference brothers. Should the SEC expand or change its membership, Vanderbilt should be sent elsewhere.

Teams in the SEC East benefit from having Vanderbilt on the schedule every year. Perhaps it’s time for the SEC West to have fun with Tulane until the Greenies rebuild. The guess here is that Tulane would quickly improve its football stock with the resources of the SEC and be far more worthy of SEC membership than the school in Nashville.
http://www.tigerrag.com/engster-sec-sho ... anderbilt/

swampnik
Surge

Vandy is 4-1 this year after the Alabama thrashing but still 4-1. Their FB record in recent years is better than the Greenies to boot.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
greenphantom
Swell

That would be like switching Scelfo for CJ. Won't ever happen
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Vanderbilt is exponentially more valuable than Tulane if for no other reason than its P5 infrastructure. While Tulane could, at least in theory, possibly be able to a higher ceiling than Vanderbilt, Tulane's lack of a P5 infrastructure is makes it comparatively undesirable.
sader24
Tsunami

Wish we would schedule Vanderbilt.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The SEC in the next expansion go after Oklahoma and either Kansas or Cincy...bringing in Oklahoma, and having Texas A/M gives them the DFW and all of the Oklahoma TV markets...the Houston market is in good hands with A/M and LSU...bringing in Kansas gives Mizzou a natural in conference rival and secures the Kansas City TV market...if they chose Cincy, it gives them inroads into Big10 turf, the Cincy TV market and a natural rival for Kentucky ...forget the University of Texas @ Austin...they are a pain in the ass and in terms of media exposure offer very little, if any at all, above what I have posted
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:Wish we would schedule Vanderbilt.
Same here. That tradition was killed with Mac Brown. He didn’t want to play his brother Watson whom at time was the Vandy HC.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
Same here. That tradition was killed with Mac Brown. He didn’t want to play his brother Watson whom at time was the Vandy HC.
once again TPS clouds the issue with fact...now, about that hitting instructors job......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

Vanderbilt to Tiger Rags, "GFY!"
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Would like to play them fairly regularly for an OOC game.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Until we are winning 8+ games regularly we should have one out of Vandy/Wake/Duke/GT/(Northwestern) every year. LSU/USM/Ole Miss rivalries are dead, time to forge some new ones.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Those rivalries aren't dead and the attendance for any of them by would dwarf attendance for those you desire to see.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:Those rivalries aren't dead and the attendance for any of them by would dwarf attendance for those you desire to see.
This. Tulane's home games against those teams would be complete sell outs (i.e. not even any SRO room remaining).
Ruski wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Until we are winning 8+ games regularly we should have one out of Vandy/Wake/Duke/GT/(Northwestern) every year. LSU/USM/Ole Miss rivalries are dead, time to forge some new ones.
There is also the issue that until we are winning 8 games a year with an AAC schedule, we would probably lose to each and every one of those teams as long as their current coaches are there. Mason may not be able to compete with Saban in the SEC, but Vanderbilt (3-1) has so far been a scary team to play this year, and Wake (4-0), Duke (4-0), GT (2-1), and, to a slightly lesser extent, Northwestern (2-1) haven't been pushovers either.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I'm not buying that the rivalries with LSU, Ole Miss and USM are dead at all. Any of those games would create more demand than we have capacity for at Yulman (and LSU would probably be moved to the Dome).
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
Ruski wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I'm not buying that the rivalries with LSU, Ole Miss and USM are dead at all. Any of those games would create more demand than we have capacity for at Yulman (and LSU would probably be moved to the Dome).
I do not see LSU playing Tulane in what is left of my lifetime...Ole Miss, Miss State, Bama, Fla State would like to visit NOLA every few years for recruiting purposes...USM would ove to come to NOLA every other year, but I do not see TD signing a home and home with them
Ruski
Swell

Ummmm yes against LSU, Ole Miss, and probably even Southern Miss we would have to move to the Dome and sell out......and the crowd would look like a Tulane away game in every one of those. That's not a rivalry, that's an embarrassment. The on field result would be no different (USM withstanding).

Against these lesser, regional p5 schools we would actually have a chance on the field most years. Because they are p5 schools Tulane would actually get some recognition for pulling out wins, compare that to the ULM/USM/Rice of the world. Also because they're relatively close there would actually be visiting fans, in NOLA and away. That's what rivalries are about, competitiveness and location.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wrong. There has to be history and some animosity. There has to be interest by our fans. LSU, Ole Miss and USM have all of that. Your desired schools scream RICK DICKSON SCHEDULING. We have to look forward with a mindset that when we schedule those games we'll have a good team and will draw our fan base out. If we are going to only strive to be a once every few years 6 win and shit bowl team then shut it down. You get no recognition for beating bottom level P5's. Fans see right through it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
oliveandblue
Surge

winwave wrote:Wrong. There has to be history and some animosity. There has to be interest by our fans. LSU, Ole Miss and USM have all of that. Your desired schools scream RICK DICKSON SCHEDULING. We have to look forward with a mindset that when we schedule those games we'll have a good team and will draw our fan base out. If we are going to only strive to be a once every few years 6 win and sh*t bowl team then shut it down. You get no recognition for beating bottom level P5's. Fans see right through it.
We've never been consistently good in my lifetime (I am 29).

Tulane needs to enter conference play with a bowl easily in play EVERY SINGLE YEAR. This is not a program that can afford a 1-3/0-4 start because we got cute and overscheduled.

The GT and Wake games were fun. The OU game was a nightmare. Tulane needs to build to that level (OU) - but we're 15-20 years away (that can be hung on Dickson for not building a real plan).

Fritz/Dannen combo is a step in the right direction.

I would like to see Tulane finish with some comparable records to LSU (8-4 to 10-2 range). Tulane needs to place some doubt in the public mindset. We don't see LSU for an eternity in football, so use that time to quietly fix things.
greenphantom
Swell

This is a pipe dream. Tulane has shot itself in the foot so much, it looks like swiss cheese. Vandy is still light years ahead of Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote:
winwave wrote:Wrong. There has to be history and some animosity. There has to be interest by our fans. LSU, Ole Miss and USM have all of that. Your desired schools scream RICK DICKSON SCHEDULING. We have to look forward with a mindset that when we schedule those games we'll have a good team and will draw our fan base out. If we are going to only strive to be a once every few years 6 win and sh*t bowl team then shut it down. You get no recognition for beating bottom level P5's. Fans see right through it.
We've never been consistently good in my lifetime (I am 29).

Tulane needs to enter conference play with a bowl easily in play EVERY SINGLE YEAR. This is not a program that can afford a 1-3/0-4 start because we got cute and overscheduled.

The GT and Wake games were fun. The OU game was a nightmare. Tulane needs to build to that level (OU) - but we're 15-20 years away (that can be hung on Dickson for not building a real plan).

Fritz/Dannen combo is a step in the right direction.

I would like to see Tulane finish with some comparable records to LSU (8-4 to 10-2 range). Tulane needs to place some doubt in the public mindset. We don't see LSU for an eternity in football, so use that time to quietly fix things.
Small time thinking. Like I said we are projecting forward and expecting to have good teams. If we do those three teams are not this years Oklahoma. LSU could build back up but the other two we'll certainly be able to play with once we reach the desired level. NO MORE DICKSON THINKING OR SCHEDULING. .
sader24
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:The SEC in the next expansion go after Oklahoma and either Kansas or Cincy...bringing in Oklahoma, and having Texas A/M gives them the DFW and all of the Oklahoma TV markets...the Houston market is in good hands with A/M and LSU...bringing in Kansas gives Mizzou a natural in conference rival and secures the Kansas City TV market...if they chose Cincy, it gives them inroads into Big10 turf, the Cincy TV market and a natural rival for Kentucky ...forget the University of Texas @ Austin...they are a pain in the ass and in terms of media exposure offer very little, if any at all, above what I have posted
Cincy and Kansas have no chance to get in the SEC.
Dave breslin
Swell

Win wave, may I rephrase your quote? "NO MORE DICKSON ANYTHING!"
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:The SEC in the next expansion go after Oklahoma and either Kansas or Cincy...bringing in Oklahoma, and having Texas A/M gives them the DFW and all of the Oklahoma TV markets...the Houston market is in good hands with A/M and LSU...bringing in Kansas gives Mizzou a natural in conference rival and secures the Kansas City TV market...if they chose Cincy, it gives them inroads into Big10 turf, the Cincy TV market and a natural rival for Kentucky ...forget the University of Texas @ Austin...they are a pain in the ass and in terms of media exposure offer very little, if any at all, above what I have posted
Cincy and Kansas have no chance to get in the SEC.
and your reason's are......
Bigschtick
Riptide

I have been disappointed for years that we have not!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote:Win wave, may I rephrase your quote? "NO MORE DICKSON ANYTHING!"
Why of course. :mrgreen: