For Discussion-What would you do....

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

If Tulane players decided to kneel for the Anthem?

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
msdos
Swell

This thread should end well
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Fans don't pay for tickets to games to see whether people stand or sit for the anthem.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I'm glad that college teams stay in the locker room for the anthem so I'll never have to make that decision.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:I'm glad that college teams stay in the locker room for the anthem so I'll never have to make that decision.
Yes. I believe they do for football but baseball and basketball come out for it though.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

Wouldn't give 2 shits. I tend to not care about what people do unless it affects me. You should feel the same
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here's a situation where fans and especially alums could take a stand if they chose. A statement from an Alumni group to the University making it clear they will not accept that kind of action, and a protest of this sort will result in elimination of donations to the university. It seems these days the only thing anyone cares about is money, so lets hold the money hostage.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Only thing I care about is winning.
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:I'm glad that college teams stay in the locker room for the anthem so I'll never have to make that decision.
Yes. I believe they do for football but baseball and basketball come out for it though.
Hmmm. One of those may be more cause for concern than the other.
God Bless Everyone!
Profoundwizard
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
There's a Travis Jewett national anthem joke in here somewhere.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
There's a Travis Jewett national anthem joke in here somewhere.
:lol:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

Interesting to see if anyone who got bent out of shape at this yells "WAVE!" over brave at the end of the anthem.

Everyone is too offended/triggered by other people's speech these days. I wouldn't care one way or the other.
IM42lane
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Only thing I care about is winning.

MOI AUSSI !!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
swampnik
Surge

Knowing when to take a "knee" speaks volumes on football and even more so of free thinking (are students not taught this currently at Tulane)?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
ccap05
Surge

I would pay just about as much attention to their exercise of free speech as if they had stood up and put their hand over their heart or if they gave an pro-PETA interview deploring the cruelty inherent to animals in serving cooked meat at home games. I tend to support peoples right to freedom of speech as long as it is not crossing the line of yelling fire in a crowded theater. I am getting up in my years and have less and less sympathy for holier than thou types trying to control what other people think or say. If you feel that expressions agains police brutality or racism are wrong then you always have the right to express your own opinion.
Aegis
High Tide

Id be done with TU. Well considering most get their info from social media it would not surprise me. Do some research and the point becomes mute.
RobertM320
Green Wave

ccap05 wrote:I would pay just about as much attention to their exercise of free speech as if they had stood up and put their hand over their heart or if they gave an pro-PETA interview deploring the cruelty inherent to animals in serving cooked meat at home games. I tend to support peoples right to freedom of speech as long as it is not crossing the line of yelling fire in a crowded theater. I am getting up in my years and have less and less sympathy for holier than thou types trying to control what other people think or say. If you feel that expressions agains police brutality or racism are wrong then you always have the right to express your own opinion.
And I have a right not to watch their protest. But when they sneak the protest into something I paid to see, they've crossed the line. As I said before, I went to a McCartney concert in the Superdome in 1994. His pet project was PETA, and I had to spend 20 minutes prior to the concert looking at images on large screens of slaughtered whales, lab monkeys being shot and the like. Its not what I paid my money for, and I wasn't forewarned in advance. That's where I feel the line is crossed. Tell me first and then let me make an informed decision. Don't take my money first.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aegis wrote:Id be done with TU. Well considering most get their info from social media it would not surprise me. Do some research and the point becomes mute.
I would never kneel during the anthem, but the POV above I just don't understand.

So the final blow to your TU fandom would be if a bunch of 18-22 year olds decided to kneel during the anthem, um ok.
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Aegis wrote:Id be done with TU. Well considering most get their info from social media it would not surprise me. Do some research and the point becomes mute.
I would never kneel during the anthem, but the POV above I just don't understand.

So the final blow to your TU fandom would be if a bunch of 18-22 year olds decided to kneel during the anthem, um ok.
Why not? If you have certain values, you have certain values. It wouldn't be that hard to start supporting Army or Navy. I'll guarantee you won't see any of those players taking a knee.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
ccap05 wrote:I would pay just about as much attention to their exercise of free speech as if they had stood up and put their hand over their heart or if they gave an pro-PETA interview deploring the cruelty inherent to animals in serving cooked meat at home games. I tend to support peoples right to freedom of speech as long as it is not crossing the line of yelling fire in a crowded theater. I am getting up in my years and have less and less sympathy for holier than thou types trying to control what other people think or say. If you feel that expressions agains police brutality or racism are wrong then you always have the right to express your own opinion.
And I have a right not to watch their protest. But when they sneak the protest into something I paid to see, they've crossed the line. As I said before, I went to a McCartney concert in the Superdome in 1994. His pet project was PETA, and I had to spend 20 minutes prior to the concert looking at images on large screens of slaughtered whales, lab monkeys being shot and the like. Its not what I paid my money for, and I wasn't forewarned in advance. That's where I feel the line is crossed. Tell me first and then let me make an informed decision. Don't take my money first.
Well, no one is making anyone watch the players during the national anthem, and, in the vast majority of college and NFL games, a fan can fully enjoy the anthem without being forced to look at the players. That is in sharp contrast to the concert you described.
dpm wave
Swell

I would support the action.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Why not? If you have certain values, you have certain values. It wouldn't be that hard to start supporting Army or Navy. I'll guarantee you won't see any of those players taking a knee.
Cause it's silly. The players don't speak for the admin or fans or anyone but themselves. Demanding that they follow certain rules is silly as well, they want to kneel let them, I care about what is going on on the court/field. I don't agree with the POV that the anthem has anything to do with police brutality and inequality, but why people care so much about this is so bogus. People extrapolating their fandom over these kids kneeling is just as short sighted as the players actions. What a bunch of college students do shouldn't effect one's "values".
RobertM320
Green Wave

It reflects the values of the university. If it doesn't, tell my why we know up front you wont see it happening at Army, Navy, probably ND and BYU as well.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:It reflects the values of the university. If it doesn't, tell my why we know up front you wont see it happening at Army, Navy, probably ND and BYU as well.
It's not happening that much at the college level anyway, but, nevertheless, players that possibly would consider doing it at Army/Navy/Air Force likely won't for fear of retaliation from their peers, which is a very real concern that players at other college programs do not have to worry as much about.

But that still doesn't show how it reflects that values of the university.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:It reflects the values of the university. If it doesn't, tell my why we know up front you wont see it happening at Army, Navy, probably ND and BYU as well.
It most certainly does not, it reflects the values of the individuals. The military schools and maybe very conservative schools (like maybe A&M) may not but literally every other college in the country would be exposed to this kneeling stuff. Say you don;t agree, but don;t extrapolate it to the entire university. Hell, you have any idea how many silly protests are going on everyday at universities all over the country? Do those protests reflect the values of the entire university, of course not. Oh and this....even the academies are not immune to today's constant need to voice your opinions publicly.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/27/we ... sages.html