Tulane 21 - Army 17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
pansdad
Ripple

I was there and I marveled that we actually did not come up short. I go back to the Tulane-LSU game when Steve Foley was the QB. With no time outs left we drove down to near the goal line. Our running back was stopped JUST SHORT of the goal line as time ran out. It was the next year that we beat them 14-0. But I always think back to all the times when we came up SHORT.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pass was on the RB's back hip which allowed their LB to stop him. If it hits him in stride we win.
Pepper
Swell

TURVS71 wrote:Hot day, good win for this program. This game was won on the back and legs of Banks. This is what a good quarterback can do for a team. Gutsy fourth-quarter and not playing for the tie shows that this may be a different team. I truly believe that most of these kids grew up in the first half of the Oklahoma game last week.
My thoughts exactly. Congrats to the coaches and players.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
chain gang x man
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Just got back from the game. First and foremost, the heat was BRUTAL. NCAA has all kinds of rules to protect players, well one of them should be no daytime games at Yulman in September. I don't give a crap what the networks say.

I think OUG pretty much summed it up. Banks was still hurting coming in, and he got really clocked on that 4th down play early in the last drive. I was actually surprised to see him back in the game after only one play. Tells you how much the guy wants to win, and you know that will make the rest of the offense want to play that much harder. He took a few extra shots on that drive and hung in there. On some of his scrambles no receiver was getting open, but you can see how he's able to extend plays. The bye comes at the right time for us. Lets get healthy and prepare for Tulsa, who just lost at home to New Mexico, 16-13. What happened to their explosive offense?
It should be a sin to host a Day game at Yulman in August/September. It was unbearably hot.

Dude, you're not kidding. It was brutal. I had to spend the 4th quarter underneath the Westfeldt Terrace cover. Couldn't stay in the seat. Don't know how chain gang x man works the sidelines in that heat.
Plenty Gatorade :lol:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Pass was on the RB's back hip which allowed their LB to stop him. If it hits him in stride we win.
on his hip and slightly behind....the play happened going into the north end zone on the right hash mark....if memory serves the RB was Russell Huber....The LB for LSU might have been Mike Anderson, but I am not sure.....I was sitting in the North End Zone row 20, the play happened right down my sight line...after the game, and there were many LSU fans around, they commented 'things have really changed"...I asked one what he meant by that...he told me," the attitude of the Tulane Team and Fans, they are not going to put up with losing anymore"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Houma de Wave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:Pass was on the RB's back hip which allowed their LB to stop him. If it hits him in stride we win.
on his hip and slightly behind....the play happened going into the north end zone on the right hash mark....if memory serves the RB was Russell Huber....The LB for LSU might have been Mike Anderson, but I am not sure.....I was sitting in the North End Zone row 20, the play happened right down my sight line...after the game, and there were many LSU fans around, they commented 'things have really changed"...I asked one what he meant by that...he told me," the attitude of the Tulane Team and Fans, they are not going to put up with losing anymore"
It was Russell Huber who caught the pass. It was Frank Racine who made the hard tackle at the 1. I was devastated sitting right there in the north end zone. I later met Racine's parents and complimented their son on that good tackle. They were nice, stand up folks.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
It was Russell Huber who caught the pass. It was Frank Racine who made the hard tackle at the 1. I was devastated sitting right there in the north end zone. I later met Racine's parents and complimented their son on that good tackle. They were nice, stand up folks.
I can still see that play in my brain today. So close. We really dominated them more in ‘72 then probably ‘73.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Houma de Wave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
U are correct it was Racine..... I do remember after the game, one LSU fan said "things will be different in Tiga' Stadium next year"....we will never know !!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
We were sitting right by each other. :mrgreen:
Price Triton
Trickle

:mrgreen: Gents, it was Bill Huber, not Russell.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Price Triton wrote::mrgreen: Gents, it was Bill Huber, not Russell.
We all know it wasn’t Bill Russell though. :lol:

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Your Box Score to close out this thread:(If you're a ticket holder, please please please please send feedback to TU about NOT hosting day games in September...)

Total Yards:

TU: 356 yards
Army: 376 yards

Time of Possession: (Army used Fritzball against us, but we out-coached them)

TU: 20:42
Army: 39:18

1st downs gained:

TU: 15
Army: 22

3rd down efficiency:

TU: 2/11
Army: 8/17

4th down efficiency:

TU: 3/3
Army: 2/4

Passing:

TU: 10/22 for 133 yards (encalade had 5 catches for 43 yards, Clewis had 2 for 29 yards, Mooney 2 for 26 yards)
Army: 0/5 0 yards

Rushing:

TU: 30 attempts for 253 yards (Hilliard 14 carries for 134 yards and 1 td, Badies 2 carries for 76 yards 1 td, Banks 10 for 40 yards 1 td)
Army: 69 attempts for 371 yards (Davidson 26 carries for 130 yards, Bradshaw 10 carries for 65 yards 1 td, Walker 5 carries for 56 yards)

Turnovers:

TU: 0
Army: 3, 2 ints, 1 fumble lost

Penalties:
TU: 6 for 59 yards
Army: 5 for 35 yards

It was a good day for the Angry Waves. We didn't have to wait till November/December for our first conference win. We are also in a nice position to reach a bowl game with some winnable games coming up. Hopefully this is the change of culture we've been expecting with Fritz. ROLL DAMN WAVE!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:It was a good day for the Angry Waves. We didn't have to wait till November/December for our first conference win. We are also in a nice position to reach a bowl game with some winnable games coming up. Hopefully this is the change of culture we've been expecting with Fritz. ROLL DAMN WAVE!
While I agree that this should be the case, it hasn't happened yet since Army isn't in the AAC, but, that being said, Tulsa is looking pretty rough right now so that should (hopefully) be a conference win in two weeks. That Tulsa game plus FIU, ECU, and Cincinnati is all that Tulane needs for 6.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:It was a good day for the Angry Waves. We didn't have to wait till November/December for our first conference win. We are also in a nice position to reach a bowl game with some winnable games coming up. Hopefully this is the change of culture we've been expecting with Fritz. ROLL DAMN WAVE!
While I agree that this should be the case, it hasn't happened yet since Army isn't in the AAC, but, that being said, Tulsa is looking pretty rough right now so that should (hopefully) be a conference win in two weeks. That Tulsa game plus FIU, ECU, and Cincinnati is all that Tulane needs for 6.
Thanks for the catch Azer. Getting my service academies mixed up.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Price Triton wrote::mrgreen: Gents, it was Bill Huber, not Russell.

I do get partial points/credit for having the last name right....correct ?
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Last Note, seriously last note. As of this game, Mr. Teamer is now #2 in the nation in sacks with 7 and I see Luke Jackson on there at #14. Agent P is 14th in the nation with 2 ints. http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics
Jaxwave
Swell

On Foley's long run down to the 4, he actually could have stepped out of bounds about the 10 and given us a chance at 2 or 3 plays at scoring, but he cut back to try to score himself. The clock did not stop on first downs back then and clocking the ball by throwing it quickly to the ground was not allowed. You had to throw it out of bounds to stop the clock. There weren't enough seconds on the clock to do that so Tulane hurriedly ran to the line and quickly ran that last play which may have contributed to the pass being a little behind the RB, causing him to break stride allowing for the tackle.
It was my Jr year and as the last play was run I sprinted down to the fence surrounding the field to rush the field had we scored. I watched the last play from field level way down at the other 20 yard line so thought when the pass was completed we had tied it. Couldn't believe we threw the pass short of the goal line. My fraternity brother David Falgoust would have kicked the XP to win that game and become a legend in Tulane football history. Instead, Terry Looney and Darwin Willie became just that the next year.
To go along with what another poster said, the Tulane defense was more dominant in the 1972 game sacking All American QB Bert Jones a number of times sending him and their vaunted passing game to the bench. Their backup QB Paulo Lyons came on in that game to run the option and led LSU to 3 FGs if my memory serves me correctly.
Jaxwave
Swell

Just went to the internet and found my memory wasn't quite correct the story says Foley stepped OB before the final play. I could swear he cut back in at the ten resulting in a scramble to get the final play off, but then again, I'm old.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'd say our D in '73 was better as it pitched a shut out.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ruski
Swell

winwave wrote:Willie enjoyed the win:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 12e9e.html

I found this quote telling:
Tulane ranks fifth out of 12 teams in the American Athletic Conference in yards allowed and sixth in scoring defense.

Now throw those numbers out because they mean next to nothing.

After facing two triple-option teams in Navy and Army, loaded national championship contender Oklahoma and Grambling of the FCS, the Green Wave defense will find out good it is in the next eight weeks. The first four games were all outliers against opponents with styles or skill levels Tulane will not see again.
Really like having 2 separate seasons.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote:
winwave wrote:Willie enjoyed the win:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 12e9e.html

I found this quote telling:
Tulane ranks fifth out of 12 teams in the American Athletic Conference in yards allowed and sixth in scoring defense.

Now throw those numbers out because they mean next to nothing.

After facing two triple-option teams in Navy and Army, loaded national championship contender Oklahoma and Grambling of the FCS, the Green Wave defense will find out good it is in the next eight weeks. The first four games were all outliers against opponents with styles or skill levels Tulane will not see again.
Really like having 2 separate seasons.
That's why a lot of us have said you can't really judge where we are until we play teams that reflect what most opponents would be. We played 4 outliers in our first 4 games. And we produced about what we expected. Now lets see what happens the rest of the season.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson