Army Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It was a good win that will likely be Tulane's first win over a team that finishes the season with a winning record since Houston in '14. Most Tulane fans that had Tulane keying in a bowl had this one circled as a win, so this does not change season expectations too much, however, that being said, most fans probably did not expect Tulane to need to score on its final possession to either tie or win the game against a team at home that attempted 5 passes of which none were completed and two resulted in INTs.

As for the rest of the season, Tulsa (best win 1-3 UL), @FIU (best win @ 1-3 Rice), Cincinnati (best win @ 2-2 Miami OH) and @ECU (best win @ 1-2 UConn) all look winnable at this point.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:It was a good win that will likely be Tulane's first win over a team that finishes the season with a winning record since Houston in '14. Most Tulane fans that had Tulane keying in a bowl had this one circled as a win, so this does not change season expectations too much, however, that being said, most fans probably did not expect Tulane to need to score on its final possession to either tie or win the game against a team at home that attempted 5 passes of which none were completed and two resulted in INTs.

As for the rest of the season, Tulsa (best win 1-3 UL), @FIU (best win @ 1-3 Rice), Cincinnati (best win @ 2-2 Miami OH) and @ECU (best win @ 1-2 UConn) all look winnable at this point.
I agree with the remaining “winnable” games. Originally I had us beating Grambling, Army, FIU, Cinn, and ECU. Tulsa now looks like another winnable game. If we beat Tulsa we will go bowling.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

Memphis and Houston are not unbeatable. It's unlikely we knock either off but they can be beaten. I still see us at 6 wins.
lurker123
Swell

sader24 wrote:Memphis and Houston are not unbeatable. It's unlikely we knock either off but they can be beaten. I still see us at 6 wins.
Hope you can join us at some of the upcoming home games. You will enjoy watching this team live.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Could be a drive up road trip to Memphis on the horizon if the enthusiasm continues.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tulsa will be a tougher test and true showing of where we are in the AAC. They're going to score points and their D will give us the opportunity to do so as well. We'll need at least 30 to win. Can we get there?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Tulsa will be a tougher test and true showing of where we are in the AAC. They're going to score points and their D will give us the opportunity to do so as well. We'll need at least 30 to win. Can we get there?
Well, maybe. Tulsa did just lose at home to 2-2 New Mexico 16-13, so, if Tulsa cannot find a way to improve whatever impeded its offense over the weekend, Tulane may only need to hit high teens/low twenties.
Ruski
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Tulsa will be a tougher test and true showing of where we are in the AAC. They're going to score points and their D will give us the opportunity to do so as well. We'll need at least 30 to win. Can we get there?
Well, maybe. Tulsa did just lose at home to 2-2 New Mexico 16-13, so, if Tulsa cannot find a way to improve whatever impeded its offense over the weekend, Tulane may only need to hit high teens/low twenties.
Schedule sets up perfectly to beat Tulsa first time since 2013.

Bob Davie at New Mexico runs a zone read triple option, out of the shotgun similar to ours. CWF has almost 2 weeks to study the New Mexico game whereas Tulsa should be pretty banged up after playing Navy (we'll be their 3rd option team in a row!).

Looking at the New Mexico tape it looks like their QB is much less athletic than Banks but he has a very good grasp of the option and when to pitch vs. holding it, something Banks needs to work on.

I think people are making a very big deal about Army, it's a good win but not yet program defining. If we can get the Tulsa monkey off our back then I'll truly buy into this season as turning the corner. ESPN FPI now has us up to 60% chance to win. If we lose it's same ole Tulane, if we win I'm sending in another check!
galvezwave
Swell

glad for the win and hopeful for the rest of the season. I like WFs attitude. For such an outstanding record as a head coach, he has zero arrogance. I love how when talking about getting better, it's always "us" never "them". I don't know how anyone could root against him. That said. We're 2-2 . We're 2-2 every year. Time to take another forward step. We owe Tulsa several a$$ beatings.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ruski wrote:
Schedule sets up perfectly to beat Tulsa first time since 2013.

Bob Davie at New Mexico runs a zone read triple option, out of the shotgun similar to ours. CWF has almost 2 weeks to study the New Mexico game whereas Tulsa should be pretty banged up after playing Navy (we'll be their 3rd option team in a row!).

Looking at the New Mexico tape it looks like their QB is much less athletic than Banks but he has a very good grasp of the option and when to pitch vs. holding it, something Banks needs to work on.

I think people are making a very big deal about Army, it's a good win but not yet program defining. If we can get the Tulsa monkey off our back then I'll truly buy into this season as turning the corner. ESPN FPI now has us up to 60% chance to win. If we lose it's same ole Tulane, if we win I'm sending in another check!
I was surprised to find that NM also runs a similar offense. Those Tulsa boys will be pretty beat up after they face us. Three weeks straight of triple option teams. However, I am surprised that the score was so low that game. Did NM just control the ball and limit possessions or were there a bunch of turnovers?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

I just went and looked at the box score. From what I could find, the weather was fine, but NM did fumble 4 times, losing two, and threw an int. Tulsa QB was only 13-27 and 1 int. TOP for NM was 42:41 seconds, so they basically kept Tulsa off the field. 17:19 TOP for Tulsa, and yet they ran 58 offensive plays, which was more than we had against Army.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
sader24
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:
sader24 wrote:Memphis and Houston are not unbeatable. It's unlikely we knock either off but they can be beaten. I still see us at 6 wins.
Hope you can join us at some of the upcoming home games. You will enjoy watching this team live.
I was at the Army game.
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:I just went and looked at the box score. From what I could find, the weather was fine, but NM did fumble 4 times, losing two, and threw an int. Tulsa QB was only 13-27 and 1 int. TOP for NM was 42:41 seconds, so they basically kept Tulsa off the field. 17:19 TOP for Tulsa, and yet they ran 58 offensive plays, which was more than we had against Army.
There you have our plan to victory, minus the turnovers. Keep Tulsa off the field, intercept a couple of deep balls, and run the option correctly. Could easily turn into a rout if we stay focused.
Jaxwave
Swell

For Tulane fans to count any games as wins before they are played is absurd. As we all have learned over the years we could lose to any of the remaining teams on our schedule.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one counted any game as a win. They simply said these are games that are winnable.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:No one counted any game as a win. They simply said these are games that are winnable.
This.
Jaxwave wrote:For Tulane fans to count any games as wins before they are played is absurd. As we all have learned over the years we could lose to any of the remaining teams on our schedule.
Most fans expected this to be a win in order for Tulane to stay on track for bowl eligibility, but this was not a game that anyone assumed that Tulane would win. Tulsa, @ECU, @FIU, and Cincinnati would be the smoothest path to bowl eligibility, but they are not games that anyone should -assume- that Tulane will win.