Army Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

sader24 wrote:The last thing you can call a person who still follows Tulane football is impatient. IMO our remaining fan base are too patient. We are far better coached than under CJ. There is no room for debate on that, however I can't be the only one worried about this offense. The Navy game was winnable and it wasn't won. I have no interest in moral victories at this point. It will be hard for me to see the light at the end of the tunnel if we can't knock off Army at home this week. It is a winnable game against a service academy at our home on campus stadium.
This. +100000

We all "want it now." Difference is some of you are willing to settle for moral victories, and spout the same rah rah cheer that comes with every coaching change. Jesus, every coach since our last winning coach 20 years ago in Bowden (and let's throw Teevens, Greg Davis, etc. before him in there) we've heard the same thing about building the foundation, doing things right, getting the right players in here, we're young, blah blah blah the list goes on. Some fans, actually the majority of fans, aren't buying into that bullshit anymore. Good coaches find ways to win. PERIOD. We are TULANE, we don't have the luxury or the time to roadmap the next 10 years. We missed that bus a LONG time ago. It needs to happen, and it needs to happen NOW.

Davis - Blah
Teevens - Blah
Scelfo - 1 bowl, Blah
Toledo - Used to coach at UCLA, let's see what he can do. Blah
CJ - Great recruiting, good with local talent, Saints connection. 1 bowl. Blah.

The same discussions we all are having about Fritz NOW were had about all of these coaches back THEN. And now all of a sudden because some of you HAVE A FEELING that Fritz will be different and successful that all the rest of us are crazy for thinking otherwise. Not a chance. The only thing different NOW vs. THEN is we are paying the head coach more, we have a new A.D., and we have an EMTPY, TINY on-campus stadium. But you know what, at the end of the day, Fritz hasn't show me shit, and until he does, I won't drink your kool-aid. It's up to him and you to prove us wrong. It's not the other way around, because we are where we are, and that's at the bottom of the freaking barrel.

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
charlamange8
Trickle

Well it's been awhile since I've posted on here...you guys are still the same. Ok this is the ARMY game thread so I'll stick with ARMY.

If Banks is healthy, we should win. Our defense has shown that it has the ability to slow down the option enough to give us an opportunity to win. That being said, Army is not OU, and we ran for 200+ vs OU. I think we can run the ball on these guys, and if/when we do pass their secondary is a MASH unit. They lost a starting corner and FS last week and were already missing two starting corners. Check this article out...http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-point-army-football/
Basically a team that was without it's top three defensive playmakers from last season, has lost two more. We already have a talent advantage, if we can't throw on these guys we may have a problem. So to conclude, we "should" be able to run it, based on past evidence (1st 3 weeks of the season), we "should" be able to slow down the option (based on the Navy game) and we "should" be able to pass it (based on opposing personnel losses, albeit with little proof) and we are at home. Gentlemen, we may have a victory...
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

charlamange8 wrote:Well it's been awhile since I've posted on here...you guys are still the same.
I'm willing to bet Tulane was still the same the last time you were here... :mrgreen:

Hope you're doing well man, it's been a while! I sure miss the good ole' days. Thanks for stopping by and giving your insight on the game. Don't be a stranger.
Roll Wave!
galvezwave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
sader24 wrote:The last thing you can call a person who still follows Tulane football is impatient. IMO our remaining fan base are too patient. We are far better coached than under CJ. There is no room for debate on that, however I can't be the only one worried about this offense. The Navy game was winnable and it wasn't won. I have no interest in moral victories at this point. It will be hard for me to see the light at the end of the tunnel if we can't knock off Army at home this week. It is a winnable game against a service academy at our home on campus stadium.
This. +100000

We all "want it now." Difference is some of you are willing to settle for moral victories, and spout the same rah rah cheer that comes with every coaching change. Jesus, every coach since our last winning coach 20 years ago in Bowden (and let's throw Teevens, Greg Davis, etc. before him in there) we've heard the same thing about building the foundation, doing things right, getting the right players in here, we're young, blah blah blah the list goes on. Some fans, actually the majority of fans, aren't buying into that bullsh*t anymore. Good coaches find ways to win. PERIOD. We are TULANE, we don't have the luxury or the time to roadmap the next 10 years. We missed that bus a LONG time ago. It needs to happen, and it needs to happen NOW.

Davis - Blah
Teevens - Blah
Scelfo - 1 bowl, Blah

The same discussions we all are having about Fritz NOW were had about all of these coaches back THEN. And now all of a sudden because some of you HAVE A FEELING that Fritz will be different and successful that all the rest of us are crazy for thinking otherwise. Not a chance. The only thing different NOW vs. THEN is we are paying the head coach more, we have a new A.D., and we have an EMTPY, TINY on-campus stadium. But you know what, at the end of the day, Fritz hasn't show me sh*t, and until he does, I won't drink your kool-aid. It's up to him and you to prove us wrong. It's not the other way around, because we are where we are, and that's at the bottom of the freaking barrel.
Any and all skepticism regarding the state of the program is justified and warranted. I get it, trust me. However , I gave each and every of the above listed clowns longer than willie fritz has been on campus, before I gave up on him. I will give WF his too . I will crack eventually, but not right now.
Last edited by galvezwave on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:
This. +100000

We all "want it now." Difference is some of you are willing to settle for moral victories, and spout the same rah rah cheer that comes with every coaching change. Jesus, every coach since our last winning coach 20 years ago in Bowden (and let's throw Teevens, Greg Davis, etc. before him in there) we've heard the same thing about building the foundation, doing things right, getting the right players in here, we're young, blah blah blah the list goes on. Some fans, actually the majority of fans, aren't buying into that bullsh*t anymore. Good coaches find ways to win. PERIOD. We are TULANE, we don't have the luxury or the time to roadmap the next 10 years. We missed that bus a LONG time ago. It needs to happen, and it needs to happen NOW.

Davis - Blah
Teevens - Blah
Scelfo - 1 bowl, Blah

The same discussions we all are having about Fritz NOW were had about all of these coaches back THEN. And now all of a sudden because some of you HAVE A FEELING that Fritz will be different and successful that all the rest of us are crazy for thinking otherwise. Not a chance. The only thing different NOW vs. THEN is we are paying the head coach more, we have a new A.D., and we have an EMTPY, TINY on-campus stadium. But you know what, at the end of the day, Fritz hasn't show me sh*t, and until he does, I won't drink your kool-aid. It's up to him and you to prove us wrong. It's not the other way around, because we are where we are, and that's at the bottom of the freaking barrel.
To add to what Steve said we also had TB/RR come in and win in year 1 and go undefeated in year 2 b/c they came in and actually adjusted the scheme to the players they inherited. Most coaches just give lip service to adapting to the players they have. So that part of our history adds to the angst of the thought of having to wait 5 years for things to work.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
This. +100000

Davis - Blah
Teevens - Blah
Scelfo - 1 bowl, Blah

Any and all skepticism regarding the state of the program is justified and warranted. I get it, trust me. However , I gave each and every of the above listed clowns longer than willie fritz has been on campus, before I gave up on him. I will give WF his too . I will crack eventually, but not right now.
I think most still hold out hope. However they also see that there is good reason to have worries about this offense working.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
This. +100000

Davis - Blah
Teevens - Blah
Scelfo - 1 bowl, Blah

I think most still hold out hope. However they also see that there is good reason to have worries about this offense working.
I would like to see more of banks, but my worry is there's not a quarterback on the roster that can throw the football. I'm concerned that WF looks too much at running ability first when recruiting qb. It should be secondary. If Brantley can't throw he shouldn't be here . That's my biggest concern. But still no pitch forks. Yet.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Banks has good height to help him see the field and can make all the throws. There is some question about his deep ball. Brantley is better throwing this year now that he's healthy. Doesn't have as strong an arm as Banks but it's strong enough and he throws a good deep ball. Mooney should have caught that ball in the 2nd half and scored. The problem is WF just seems hesitant to even try and throw it and he has to get over that.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
This. +100000

Davis - Blah
Teevens - Blah
Scelfo - 1 bowl, Blah

To add to what Steve said we also had TB/RR come in and win in year 1 and go undefeated in year 2 b/c they came in and actually adjusted the scheme to the players they inherited. Most coaches just give lip service to adapting to the players they have. So that part of our history adds to the angst of the thought of having to wait 5 years for things to work.
Yes. Saying it cannot be done in year 1 or 2 is foolish. The right coach can. Just because we gave all of the coaches in the past a lot longer leash than we should have doesn't mean we have to give Fritz the same. Again, I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP ON FRITZ. But at the same time, HE HAS DONE NOTHING TO HANG HIS HAT ON.

We as Tulane fans need to stop settling for potential. Potential doesn't mean shit. (See the Tanner Lee thread...) :geek:
Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
And, having a RR who was about 5 years ahead of the game, much like Lindy Infante was in 1979.
OUG
Riptide

You have to love that Teamer is back at practice, Banks is practicing this week (starter on saturday probably will depend on reps) and there are no issues with Brantley. That's about as good as we could have hoped coming out of the OU game from an injury standpoint.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Any word on Sean Wilson?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

“A lot of people see the triple option only once a year, so that’s an advantage for us,” safety Roderic Teamer said. “We get to have that prior game to know what it’s like and how fast the tempo is.”
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Any word on Sean Wilson?
Sean Wilson playing injured. or withheld from playing will have an enormous negative effect on the entire defense. If I were laying money on this game without Sean Wilson. I'd take Army.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
“A lot of people see the triple option only once a year, so that’s an advantage for us,” safety Roderic Teamer said. “We get to have that prior game to know what it’s like and how fast the tempo is.”
LOL. No one said it wasn't. What is difficult is having the mental discipline to carry out those assignments twice in such a short period. Fortunately we played Navy , the better of the two, first as we won't have to be as sharp against Army to beat them. Then as many have noted over time since we now play Navy we shouldn't play Army anymore as all that cut blocking really wears down our lineman's legs. But hey like you say we should play option teams every week especially since we have had so much success against them.
galvezwave
Swell

wave97 wrote:
Sean Wilson playing injured. or withheld from playing will have an enormous negative effect on the entire defense. If I were laying money on this game without Sean Wilson. I'd take Army.

If he's not healthy in the leg area , playing the dirtiest offensive line in college football won't help. Hope he's 100%
wave97
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
wave97 wrote:

If he's not healthy in the leg area , playing the dirtiest offensive line in college football won't help. Hope he's 100%
There will be wide gaps with the inside-out pursuit. I hope our free safety isn't our leading tackler.
If Banks is playing it may devolve into a shootout or an exciting game for those who value scoring points as the end all and be all. Take the over.
OUG
Riptide

wave97 wrote:
Even if Wilson isn't 100% Army is a lot more banged up than we are (missing left tackle, safety, etc), so I'm not sure why you'd do that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

After 3 games Tulane’s Offense ranks tied for #1 in the Nation in Red Zone %. They scored 100% of the time when in the Red Zone.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
wave97 wrote:

Wilson practiced Tuesday and today...appears ready to go on Saturday.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:After 3 games Tulane’s Offense ranks tied for #1 in the Nation in Red Zone %. They scored 100% of the time when in the Red Zone.
Its "getting" to the red zone that's the bigger problem.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:After 3 games Tulane’s Offense ranks tied for #1 in the Nation in Red Zone %. They scored 100% of the time when in the Red Zone.
Its "getting" to the red zone that's the bigger problem.
Yep. Something of a misleading stat.
But we are efficient when we do“get” there. 8-)
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981