Army Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

God I hate sounding like losers. There is nothing great about starting strong and losing the way we did. The winning programs if he FBS and FCS word don't get excited about a blow out loss that was close for 1 quarter or half.

I sure hope we beat Army.
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'm really sick of people who watched 4 years of what CJ did to this program and yet still believe it can be completely turned around in 15 games. Can you imagine what we would have looked like Saturday if CJ and Eric Price were still in charge? We'd have been looking at 77-0 or worse, no offense whatsoever, and probably several punts blocked. Wasted timeouts. Too many or too few men on the field. Players clueless about their assignments. We'd have looked like a pop warner team. At least we now look like we know what we're doing, we're just overmatched at times.

Please, unless you're 95 years old or in imminent fear of death due to major illness,

GIVE IT TIME
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
waveclem
Surge

Although not happy with the final score from last week, I didn't really expect us to be in as long as we were. Pleasantly surprised with that. Moving on to next week their are a few things I'll like to see for us to have the greatest chance to win.
1 Need Jonathan Banks back. Jonathan Brantley has played excellent at times the past two weeks and is a playmaker with his legs for sure, but anyone with a football I.Q. can see that were limited as to what we can do with his arm. That pic 6 that changed the tide of the game could not have been more telegraphed. I almost thought the DB might have over ran it with as good of a jump on the ball that he had. Banks puts zip on the ball. We need to be able to pass it as well to win.

2 Need Rod Teamer back. Teamer is a physical player at safety. He's also proven to be a playmaker. He's a guy you always want on the field. His replacement (Kuerschan) played good in his absence but doesn't bring the experience that Teamer has to the table.

3 Why does # 21 still start???? Anyone who follows me on twitter knows that I am not a fan. The guy repeatedly gets beat (wonder how OU's 1st td was scored and no one was around? Look no further then 21). He always plays off the receiver to where any accurate QB will have a field day on him (look at Temple last year. Every 3rd down play went to #21s way and he never stopped it). PJ Hall had a great game. I saw him play real physical and made some good breakups. I think its time PJ Hall starts opposite Nickerson. #21 is a liability on the field.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

waveclem wrote:Although not happy with the final score from last week, I didn't really expect us to be in as long as we were. Pleasantly surprised with that. Moving on to next week their are a few things I'll like to see for us to have the greatest chance to win.
1 Need Jonathan Banks back. Jonathan Brantley has played excellent at times the past two weeks and is a playmaker with his legs for sure, but anyone with a football I.Q. can see that were limited as to what we can do with his arm. That pic 6 that changed the tide of the game could not have been more telegraphed. I almost thought the DB might have over ran it with as good of a jump on the ball that he had. Banks puts zip on the ball. We need to be able to pass it as well to win.

2 Need Rod Teamer back. Teamer is a physical player at safety. He's also proven to be a playmaker. He's a guy you always want on the field. His replacement (Kuerschan) played good in his absence but doesn't bring the experience that Teamer has to the table.

3 Why does # 21 still start???? Anyone who follows me on twitter knows that I am not a fan. The guy repeatedly gets beat (wonder how OU's 1st td was scored and no one was around? Look no further then 21). He always plays off the receiver to where any accurate QB will have a field day on him (look at Temple last year. Every 3rd down play went to #21s way and he never stopped it). PJ Hall had a great game. I saw him play real physical and made some good breakups. I think its time PJ Hall starts opposite Nickerson. #21 is a liability on the field.
As to #3 of your concerns, Mr. Donnie Lewis is who you are referring to and he is redshirt junior. He has a lot of experience and he is actually one of our better open field tacklers. Offenses do pick on him in the throwing game because, well, on the other side playing RCB is the Mayor of Uptown or Agent P, and he is one of the best cover corners in cfb. As for PJ Hall starting in the LCB, that would be tough since PJ plays Free Safety. It's hard to swap the two when they have different roles.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I must admit, even Baker Mayfield didn't throw Nickerson's way hardly at all the entire game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I must admit, even Baker Mayfield didn't throw Nickerson's way hardly at all the entire game.
Most won't and that will be the challenge.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave to em
Surge

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
waveclem wrote:Although not happy with the final score from last week, I didn't really expect us to be in as long as we were. Pleasantly surprised with that. Moving on to next week their are a few things I'll like to see for us to have the greatest chance to win.

As to #3 of your concerns, Mr. Donnie Lewis is who you are referring to and he is redshirt junior. He has a lot of experience and he is actually one of our better open field tacklers. Offenses do pick on him in the throwing game because, well, on the other side playing RCB is the Mayor of Uptown or Agent P, and he is one of the best cover corners in cfb. As for PJ Hall starting in the LCB, that would be tough since PJ plays Free Safety. It's hard to swap the two when they have different roles.

clem is 100% correct, Lewis is a big liability. Nothing personal to the kid, I'm sure he is a good kid, and is a good athlete, but he is not a good DB.
I understand that QBs want to aviod throwing Parry Nickersons way, but it doesn't matter if we had a True Frosh on that side, Qbs would still throw lewis' way.
He plays off the receivers hoping for bad throws or tipped balls, which is why he will get an int every now and then. But accurate QBs lick their chops with him.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hope certain people open their eyes and see that Army is better than Navy at this juncture. It's been a long time since anyone could say that and be taken seriously. This is not your Army team of the last 20-30 years. It's much better, and after a beating at Ohio State, much like we took at OU (though it was on national TV) Army fans are looking at this game as a "let's get back on track" W.

I don't care if this is the xxxx team running the triple option. The coaches and players don't give a s#$t about that. This is a very important game at home against a team that gives Tulane fits even when they're bad. They're not bad (and we have to prove we're not bad, too.)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:I'm really sick of people who watched 4 years of what CJ did to this program and yet still believe it can be completely turned around in 15 games. Can you imagine what we would have looked like Saturday if CJ and Eric Price were still in charge? We'd have been looking at 77-0 or worse, no offense whatsoever, and probably several punts blocked. Wasted timeouts. Too many or too few men on the field. Players clueless about their assignments. We'd have looked like a pop warner team. At least we now look like we know what we're doing, we're just overmatched at times.

Please, unless you're 95 years old or in imminent fear of death due to major illness,

GIVE IT TIME
AMEN!

Army is in their 4th or 5th year with Monken. They're a better program than Tulane right now, and put a better team on the field this year (and last) than Navy. This is no automatic win. It's one that we need, and can build upon if we can somehow pull it out.

This is NOT CJs Tulane team. But it's probably a year or two away from competing for the conference title.
msdos
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:I'm really sick of people who watched 4 years of what CJ did to this program and yet still believe it can be completely turned around in 15 games. Can you imagine what we would have looked like Saturday if CJ and Eric Price were still in charge? We'd have been looking at 77-0 or worse, no offense whatsoever, and probably several punts blocked. Wasted timeouts. Too many or too few men on the field. Players clueless about their assignments. We'd have looked like a pop warner team. At least we now look like we know what we're doing, we're just overmatched at times.

GIVE IT TIME
And I'm really sick of being told to give it time. We're paying Fritz over a million. We look no better today than his first game. Recruiting is awful. This offense is terrible.

Glad he can take positives from a beat down. That's just great.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

DfromCT wrote:I hope certain people open their eyes and see that Army is better than Navy at this juncture. It's been a long time since anyone could say that and be taken seriously. This is not your Army team of the last 20-30 years. It's much better, and after a beating at Ohio State, much like we took at OU (though it was on national TV) Army fans are looking at this game as a "let's get back on track" W.

I don't care if this is the xxxx team running the triple option. The coaches and players don't give a s#$t about that. This is a very important game at home against a team that gives Tulane fits even when they're bad. They're not bad (and we have to prove we're not bad, too.)
Luckily this match up will require lots of open field tackling and less about coverage for Mr. Lewis' sake. I believe Mr. Lewis finished 4th in solo tackles last year and 7th overall, so we know and have seen that he can tackle.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote:

GIVE IT TIME
And I'm really sick of being told to give it time. We're paying Fritz over a million. We look no better today than his first game. Recruiting is awful. This offense is terrible.

Is it fun to be so miserable? We played the #2 team in the country, a team that many argue is playing better than the #1 team right now, very tough for a half. I thought it would be at least 28 points at halftime, and it wasn't. You have to give the players credit for playing their hearts out, despite the score. We competed. Few that follow college football will know that, but we definitely competed.

A certain online nickle and dime psychologist loves to post about his perceptions of my misery. But you seem to LIVE for the opportunity to bash anything Dannen related. We all know that if Tulane hired Andy Cannizaro, the Wave would have upset OU.
nowave
Ripple

A certain online nickle and dime psychologist loves to post about his perceptions of my misery. But you seem to LIVE for the opportunity to bash anything Dannen related. We all know that if Tulane hired Andy Cannizaro, the Wave would have upset OU.
doubtful because we would still have fritz and we would be putting up 67 yards of offense in a half.
RobertM320
Green Wave

nowave wrote:
doubtful because we would still have fritz and we would be putting up 67 yards of offense in a half.
So of course, almost 200 yards rushing offense against a powerhouse P5 program in the FIRST half, when the game was still on the line means nothing? You can't just cherry pick.
RobertM320
Green Wave

msdos wrote:

GIVE IT TIME

Based on playing a team on the road that was light years better than anyone we played last season?

As for recruiting, we've got twice the number of 3 stars already committed than we signed last season, and our average recruit rates out to an 81.97 which is almost TWO FULL POINTS HIGHER than we've EVER been since the ratings started. That puts us behind only USF, UCF and CIncy in the AAC .

Our highest previously was a 80.03 in 2010, the only other time we've even broken 80.00, and that recruiting class had two future NFL players in it. How is that bad recruiting?

The facts prove you're just looking for something to bitch and complain about. There's a lot still to be fixed, but recruiting isn't our big problem right now.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
msdos wrote:

GIVE IT TIME

Based on playing a team on the road that was light years better than anyone we played last season?

As for recruiting, we've got twice the number of 3 stars already committed than we signed last season, and our average recruit rates out to an 81.97 which is almost TWO FULL POINTS HIGHER than we've EVER been since the ratings started. That puts us behind only USF, UCF and CIncy in the AAC .

Our highest previously was a 80.03 in 2010, the only other time we've even broken 80.00, and that recruiting class had two future NFL players in it. How is that bad recruiting?

The facts prove you're just looking for something to bitch and complain about. There's a lot still to be fixed, but recruiting isn't our big problem right now.
Just trying to understand. You say GIVE IT TIME, but then you imply there is a big problem. Which is it?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
msdos wrote:

GIVE IT TIME

Just trying to understand. You say GIVE IT TIME, but then you imply there is a big problem. Which is it?
Big problem is the lack of depth of our roster, which takes care of itself with time.
Eaglewave
Swell

msdos wrote:

GIVE IT TIME

Amen! And then folks are acting like CJ was the only losing coach/disaster that Tulane has ever had with a headset! I was ready for CJ to go, but I refuse to ignore the fact that he got us to a bowl game and lost to a cheating program. Our defense that year was fun to watch. CJ was too soft to be a head coach, but we have seen coaches around here who couldn't smell a bowl game or 6 wins in a season.

I was the biggest fan on this page of hiring Fritz. I still believe he will win and is a winner, but I will not give him years and years to build a program that was the original BCS Buster. I still believe a good coach can win at Tulane.
Ball Sumrall!
nowave
Ripple

RobertM320 wrote:
nowave wrote:
So of course, almost 200 yards rushing offense against a powerhouse P5 program in the FIRST half, when the game was still on the line means nothing? You can't just cherry pick.
you stating that fact is the exact definition of cherry picking. great we rush for 200 yards in the first half and are only 14 points down in a game that is "still on the line" so to speak. then we come out and lay an egg in the second half.

maybe they figured us out but i would be willing to bet we were probably worn out. we had to put so many yards
on our running backs legs and we only managed 14 points despite rushing 200 yards. large chunks of yardage mean nothing unless you can get some points.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well we can all see Eeyore is still miserable and obsessed with me. More importantly he's clearly overstating Army's status. Are they better than they were? Yes. Are they a GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM? NO.They also aren't better than Navy and Navy is not as good this year as the last few. Abey isn't close to Reynolds or Worth at this point. Army beat Navy last year after Navy lost Worth and was never close to being the same team they were with him. We also have gotten better against these type of teams defensively ever since Washington and Rollins came up with a good scheme.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I hope certain people open their eyes and see that Army is better than Navy at this juncture. It's been a long time since anyone could say that and be taken seriously. This is not your Army team of the last 20-30 years. It's much better, and after a beating at Ohio State, much like we took at OU (though it was on national TV) Army fans are looking at this game as a "let's get back on track" W.

The We're not bad Bowl. Cool.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Relax everyone - we're all supporting the same team.

It's too soon to criticize Fritz this season, as the majority of G5s and possibly around half of the P5 would currently have the same record (1-2) that we do given our schedule so far (Grambling, @Oklahoma, and @Navy). The Army game this week is important for bowl eligibility purposes, but, win or lose, it will not reveal much about this team since Tulane is in a relatively unique position to be particularly well prepared to defend the triple option. Because of that, we will not know much about this program until the Tulsa game next week, since Tulsa is closer in style and effectiveness on offense to the rest of the teams on our schedule than Army/Navy/Oklahoma/Grambling.

As for Army and Navy, while it's too soon to tell for certain whether either or both of them are "good" teams, Niumatalolo has earned himself and Navy a presumption of a 8 win floor team since he has won less than 8 games once in the 9 years that he has been Navy's coach. Army, in contrast, appears to be much improved, but it has not earned a similar presumption. However, if Army defeats Tulane this week, 8 wins (plus or minus one) suddenly becomes a realistic regular season outcome for them.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Steve, GPS basically answered that for me. The main problem is talent, more specifically the lack of. And unlike the NFL or NBA where you can't just go sign a bunch of free agents, we're talking a limited number of kids that can make your program better in any given year. If you sign 22, how many can actually step in day one and play D1 football? Keep in mind, we're NOT going to get 5 star players. We're talking 3 star. So if you've got the holes that CJ left, its takes a few years to fill all of them, partly because you have DEVELOP those players. They don't come ready to go.

I feel like I'm sitting here is a room full of millennials. "We want it, and we want it NOW!" I want to win as much as the next guy, but I don't want another 6-6 season, followed by another decade of losing. I want it built THE RIGHT WAY for a change.Rather than every year being "CAN we eke out a bowl game?", I want it to be "CAN we win the conference?" and "WHICH bowl will we go to THIS year?" Those are the questions I want to be asking EVERY YEAR.
sader24
Tsunami

The last thing you can call a person who still follows Tulane football is impatient. IMO our remaining fan base are too patient. We are far better coached than under CJ. There is no room for debate on that, however I can't be the only one worried about this offense. The Navy game was winnable and it wasn't won. I have no interest in moral victories at this point. It will be hard for me to see the light at the end of the tunnel if we can't knock off Army at home this week. It is a winnable game against a service academy at our home on campus stadium.