Women's Golf at one time was #9 in the Country

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

dpm wave wrote:I'll rephrase counselor.

Another "track" that "doesn't fit this team."

Bottom line. Since people were singing praises about a Top 10 ranking and I warned that the team was not deserving of such a ranking, they have finished last or next to last in 3 straight tourneys. If Fall ball is for learning, then it doesn't seem they've learned too much as of yet. Hopefully, the can learn better in the winter.
At the time they were ranked, they were deserving...you are what your score say's u are....since I am old, I remember when everyone thought, and thanks to "Big Three Golf" on TV Palmer, Nicklaus and Player walked on Golf Course Water...one small problem, the best player was a guy named Billy Casper, who during the decades of the 60's and early 70's won more golf tournaments than Palmer, Player and Nicklaus COMBINED !!!...think about that a moment...actually Casper was the original third member of the Big 3 but when he learned of the filming schedule he backed out due to Family obligations...Casper had 11 children, 6 of whom were adopted...he still holds the record for the number of Ryder Cup points won...holder of the Vardon Trophy 6 times... If you ever have the opportunity play one of the Casper designed courses, the layouts are just beautiful for people of all skill levels... I am lucky enough to have two of his designs here in Georgetown...I am not a big fan of anything designed by Nicklaus...but then again, you are what your scores say you are

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
dpm wave
Swell

Perhaps your just to damn old to realize when your wrong. They didn't deserve to be ranked Top 10 and I provided reasons for stating such.

Those reasons have been proven to be just.

Your ramblings about Casper and Nicklaus seem to indicate that Aricept would probably be helpful.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

dpm wave wrote:Perhaps your just to damn old to realize when your wrong. They didn't deserve to be ranked Top 10 and I provided reasons for stating such.

Those reasons have been proven to be just.

Your ramblings about Casper and Nicklaus seem to indicate that Aricept would probably be helpful.
I may be old, but given the results when the article was written, they were a top 10 team at that time...look at the football season at one time many teams were to be in the "final 4"...some have zero chance now, can ya hear me OSU, ND, Washington but at the time, given their records, they were all in final 4 team...if ya get to metro Austin let me know, and make sure to bring your sticks, we will go ramble thru the hills
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

The recruiting has fallen way off under this coach. Plus last season a Tulane alum was hired as top assistant, and lasted one season, so something maybe going on.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:The recruiting has fallen way off under this coach. Plus last season a Tulane alum was hired as top assistant, and lasted one season, so something maybe going on.
not that difficult to put a women's golf team on the map...just go to Europe and Asia and sign some players !!
Bigschtick
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
nowave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Show Me wrote:Golf was always in good hands under the direction of Sue Bower. Good to see that continue.
Too bad TD was not able to find a spot of Sue...she is a wonderful person and always represented Tulane in the highest regard
i was very disappointed to see mrs bower leave. she built that program and kept it afloat after katrina. every coach that has come through was handpicked by her and im afraid that if our current coach ever leaves that we may struggle to find a leader of the same caliber. mrs bower carried a lot of clout in the golf world.
you have spoken the truth !!!

I will third that. Good woman. Congrats to the ladies!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:The recruiting has fallen way off under this coach. Plus last season a Tulane alum was hired as top assistant, and lasted one season, so something maybe going on.
not that difficult to put a women's golf team on the map...just go to Europe and Asia and sign some players !!
That's what we did - although it was Europe and South America - when we were good; had 1 U.S. player the rest foreign nationals.
As for Bowers, times change and people move on. She picked this coach who hasn't kept up with the recruiting (and yes, she picked the prior 2 who were very effective).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
That's what we did - although it was Europe and South America - when we were good; had 1 U.S. player the rest foreign nationals.
As for Bowers, times change and people move on. She picked this coach who hasn't kept up with the recruiting (and yes, she picked the prior 2 who were very effective).
Bring forth the "Imports' !!!!
dpm wave
Swell

Dead LAST in a field of 16 to start off the Spring.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/lead ... &tid=13357
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

dpm wave wrote:Dead LAST in a field of 16 to start off the Spring.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/lead ... &tid=13357
I know what the problem was...they caught the Nick Foles MVP parade at Disney World
DrBox
Riptide

I believe our lowest scorer played individual only - not team.

Our last tournaments in the fall were last, 4th to last and 2nd to last.

Can't blame this on Bower's departure...she's the one who brought in this coach.
puffy
Surge

http://results.golfstat.com/public/lead ... &tid=13499

Tulane struggling on their home course for the Allstate Sugar Bowl tournament.
DrBox
Riptide

2nd to last place - 11 strokes behind 3rd to last place. 4 players shot in the 80s. Terrible.
This is a tough sport to get back once you let it go to the crapper. The good tourneys want good teams.
MicMan
Swell

What a total waste of money.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I’m guessing we missed on recruiting. Either you can play or you can’t play. Our back half of the field has to be better.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote:What a total waste of money.
Take away their 5 or 6 scholarships and we lose 5 or 6 mens scholarships. Still a waste of money?

And not for nothing, but the women's golf team has finished ranked higher than most other sports in the recent past. Yes, we've even had some success in the post season. But this team doesn't appear to be very good.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
pansdad
Ripple

I looked and looked at the GolfWeek rankings and could not find Tulane anywhere within the top 100. What gives?
DrBox
Riptide

I guess as TPS said, bad recruiting; and/or bad evaluation and development.
The coach has had a hard time keeping a 2nd assistant as well.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:I guess as TPS said, bad recruiting; and/or bad evaluation and development.
I was out at English Turn on Saturday and got to watch some of the play. Our Booster Club cooks every year for this tournament. The field is tops in the country. It’s disappointing that it’s our home course and we can’t shoot better. I think it’s more about lack of talent vs development. Maybe players can get stronger as they mature but unless they have a swing problem I don’t know how much a coach can really do at this stage to make up 20-30 strokes other than get better golfers in here.
I’m sure an assistant Women’s golf coach can’t make much of a salary especially at Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:I guess as TPS said, bad recruiting; and/or bad evaluation and development.
I was out at English Turn on Saturday and got to watch some of the play. Our Booster Club cooks every year for this tournament. The field is tops in the country. It’s disappointing that it’s our home course and we can’t shoot better. I think it’s more about lack of talent vs development. Maybe players can get stronger as they mature but unless they have a swing problem I don’t know how much a coach can really do at this stage to make up 20-30 strokes other than get better golfers in here.
I’m sure an assistant Women’s golf coach can’t make much of a salary especially at Tulane.
I don't know how many assistant Women's Golf Coaches are full time. I know of a few up here on both the men's and women's sides that are assistant pros at the courses the teams use as their home course. The position augments their income while not requiring them to leave their own course too often during the peak months between May and September. They have to have a Head Pro that is accepting that there will be travel and time away from the course. Being an assistant pro is a job that doesn't pay a lot of money and involves a lot of long hours and sucking up to the membership. But it's working in the industry you love, so you put up with it. Most are former College or mini-tour veterans. Some still aspire to make the tour.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

These days most programs, including Tulane, have a full time assistant. You can't "coach up" 20 strokes behind, but that assistant, it seems to me, is key to evaluation and recruiting, which has obviously fallen off woefully.

I'm always suspicious of "Tulane malaise" that seems to occur, too often, after some success. I think we're seeing it in women's hoops as well (it's been there for a while).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
I don't know how many assistant Women's Golf Coaches are full time. I know of a few up here on both the men's and women's sides that are assistant pros at the courses the teams use as their home course. The position augments their income while not requiring them to leave their own course too often during the peak months between May and September. They have to have a Head Pro that is accepting that there will be travel and time away from the course. Being an assistant pro is a job that doesn't pay a lot of money and involves a lot of long hours and sucking up to the membership. But it's working in the industry you love, so you put up with it. Most are former College or mini-tour veterans. Some still aspire to make the tour.
The SEC schools plow money into all their programs. Just looking at the parking lot on Saturday will tell you a lot. All the SEC schools have their own tricked out Mercedes Benz vans with their logos on the sides. The other schools have generic Fords, Chevy’s or rentals. It’s really amazing to see that in person. The haves vs the have nots as plain as daylight. With that said we still need to shoot better especially in our own tournament.
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

Mercifully, the season comes to an end today. Just the conference tourney remains.
The ladies have completed perhaps the worst year in recent memory. They finished either last or next to last in every single tourney except for the 1st that was filled with D2 and NAIA schools that had some believing this was a Top 10 team.

http://results.golfstat.com//public/lea ... &tid=14489
DrBox
Riptide

Another last place finish -this time, by a mile.