Fritz offense

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Surge
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:48 am

I said at the time of his hiring, I doubt Fritz can get the linemen to excel in this offense long term. And it certainly won't attract skill position athletes the way a spread with more passing will.

But another crucial aspect I pointed out at the time is that it will not prepare a secondary for facing passing offenses by seeing this offense every day in practice. The better teams in the AAC have offenses that excel in throwing the ball. I can't see us compete with them consistently if we can't stop the pass.

IMHO with this offense the ceiling is 7-8 wins a year but not competing for conference championships. Furthermore it is very boring and will not attract a fan base. I really wanted to see an exciting passing offense with the last coach hire as I am just not interested in watching grass grow. Too many other options to watch exciting football.


Jaxwave
Surge
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:49 am

By the way see Memphis for an example of a good hire.
User avatar
msdos
Swell
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:23 am

the ceiling is 7-8 wins a year if we were in C-USA.

in the American it's 4, and that includes 3 non-conference cupcake wins.

JV coach, JV results.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18080
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:24 am

Title should be " Offense on the Fritz" :mrgreen:
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
Bigschtick
Swell
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:27 am

This offense will have the entire stadium asleep and snoring!! Losing faith quickly!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
User avatar
msdos
Swell
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:33 am

tpstulane wrote:Title should be " Offense on the Fritz" :mrgreen:
:lol:
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6752
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:54 am

Jaxwave wrote:I said at the time of his hiring, I doubt Fritz can get the linemen to excel in this offense long term. And it certainly won't attract skill position athletes the way a spread with more passing will.

But another crucial aspect I pointed out at the time is that it will not prepare a secondary for facing passing offenses by seeing this offense every day in practice. The better teams in the AAC have offenses that excel in throwing the ball. I can't see us compete with them consistently if we can't stop the pass.

IMHO with this offense the ceiling is 7-8 wins a year but not competing for conference championships. Furthermore it is very boring and will not attract a fan base. I really wanted to see an exciting passing offense with the last coach hire as I am just not interested in watching grass grow. Too many other options to watch exciting football.
He's had ONE recruiting class.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 728
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:05 am

Jaxwave wrote:I said at the time of his hiring, I doubt Fritz can get the linemen to excel in this offense .

Disagree. Military academies run option because you don't need p5 linemen that you can't get anyway. Linemen he had didn't fit what he wants to run. Spread option offenses are the same. Memphis can't get p5 linemen either. If fritz can't get it together ( I still think he will) the next guy will have most of the pieces to install something like Memphis runs. This is his philosophy. He only cares about winning , not style. he should be given due time. The pieces aren't all in place.
wavemania
Surge
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:34 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:10 am

Thats what happened with CJ. Had to get him 3 years to see what he could do with his offense. How did that work out again? Need Lionel Washington back. He was the architect of the D we have now, and he knows enough to get us a great OC to succeed here.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6752
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:10 am

Back to the same thing I mentioned earlier in the week on another thread: this is NOT a situation like when Teevens left the team with lots of talent and Bowden took advantage of it. First Toledo, then CJ pretty much left the cupboard bare.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 728
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:16 am

wavemania wrote:Thats what happened with CJ. Had to get him 3 years to see what he could do with his offense. How did that work out again? Need Lionel Washington back. He was the architect of the D we have now, and he knows enough to get us a great OC to succeed here.

So give fritz 1 year and 3 games?
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1768
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:22 am

galvezwave wrote: Military academies run option because you don't need p5 linemen that you can't get anyway. Linemen he had didn't fit what he wants to run. Spread option offenses are the same. Memphis can't get p5 linemen either. If fritz can't get it together ( I still think he will) the next guy will have most of the pieces to install something like Memphis runs. This is his philosophy. He only cares about winning , not style. he should be given due time. The pieces aren't all in place.
RobertM320 wrote:He's had ONE recruiting class.
If you feel panic-stricken and shortness of breath, read these two posts. Pulse rate still high? Read them again.

Still need reassurance? The posts on Michigan state forums were getting a little testy for the first four years of Nick Saban's tenure. That's four years:
  • 1995 Michigan State 6-5-1 4-3-1 (Big 10) 1-2
  • 1996 Michigan State 6-6 5-3 (Big 10) 0-3
  • 1997 Michigan State 7-5 4-4 (Big 10) 2-4
  • 1998 Michigan State 6-6 4-4 (Big 10) 2-3
That calculates to a 5-12 conference record. Saban has had a bit of success since then. I'm not suggesting that WFritz is the second coming of Nick Satan, but I am saying that if (arguably) the best all-time coach in college football had a mediocre record after his first four years at Michigan State, you shouldn't expect miraculous and immediate results at Tulane given the horrific conditions that Fritz inherited.
Last edited by GreenLantern on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
msdos
Swell
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:28 am

the cupboard was not bare, i hate this argument.

also the "he needs 3 years minimum" excuse is invalid because Fritz came in saying that he tailors to the talent he has. I mean, it's obvious that was a blatant lie, but here we are.
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:40 am

I call BS on the Fritz offense. He has to bring it into the 21st century. There has to be balance between running and passing. We were told Brantley struggled last year because he had mono, lost weight, and had an injured shoulder. There's no improvement in the passing game this year. If we can't throw, we won't win games in the AAC!
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6752
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:50 am

msdos wrote:the cupboard was not bare, i hate this argument.

also the "he needs 3 years minimum" excuse is invalid because Fritz came in saying that he tailors to the talent he has. I mean, it's obvious that was a blatant lie, but here we are.
Yes he tailors to the talent. What you're missing is, there WAS NO TALENT.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1768
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:51 am

I thought we just played the number two team in America. <sarcasm> It's a good thing that Tulane didn't play the Patriots yesterday. That would really have exposed Fritz as a terrible coach and proven to the world how bad his offensive scheme is for Tulane. </sarcasm>
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6752
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:51 am

JerseyWave wrote:I call BS on the Fritz offense. He has to bring it into the 21st century. There has to be balance between running and passing. We were told Brantley struggled last year because he had mono, lost weight, and had an injured shoulder. There's no improvement in the passing game this year. If we can't throw, we won't win games in the AAC!
Mouney dropped a 50+ yard pass last night. Can't do a lot about dropped passes. Stats can be misleading.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6752
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:54 am

This same Oklahoma team went into West Virginia last year, which is a difficult place to play, and beat the 10th ranked Mountaineers 56-28. You people act like we just lost to ULaLa or something.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1768
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:55 am

msdos wrote:the cupboard was not bare, i hate this argument.
No QBs that had ever thrown an NCAA pass. Virtually no receiving corps. Looked barren to me.
greenphantom
Swell
Posts: 1582
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:38 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:09 pm

RobertM320 wrote:This same Oklahoma team went into West Virginia last year, which is a difficult place to play, and beat the 10th ranked Mountaineers 56-28. You people act like we just lost to ULaLa or something.
+1. Season is way too early. I am disappointed though that WF didn't open up the offense more against Navy.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:13 pm

It's too soon for this, as the Tulsa game will be the first game that can tell us what we need to know about how good Tulane and Fritz are. The Army game won't show much unless Tulane losses, and, even in that situation, it would only show that bowl eligibility would be unlikely.

The benefit of Tulsa game is that Tulsa has lost to Toledo, so it's not elite and it's unlikely that Tulsa will see any sort of ranking at all this season unless it goes on a rampage late in the season.
User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1930
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:35 pm

msdos wrote:the cupboard was not bare, i hate this argument.

also the "he needs 3 years minimum" excuse is invalid because Fritz came in saying that he tailors to the talent he has. I mean, it's obvious that was a blatant lie, but here we are.
I agree that the cupboard wasn't bare. Also, it shouldn't take 3 years to win in G5 football. If your program is serious about winning or trying to rebuild after years of losing, your athletic administration puts together a schedule that gives you the best chance at getting into a bowl game.

I still think Fritz can win and was a fans of his hire. Unlike CJ, he is open to making changes in styles and personnel if needed.
We want a Bowl Game in 2018!
Houma de Wave
Swell
Posts: 1371
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:53 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Jaxwave wrote:By the way see Memphis for an example of a good hire.
prior to hiring Justin Fuente in 2012, Memphis was 5-31 the 3 previous seasons. Fuente goes 4-8 and 3-9 before the 10-3 season of 2014. Then they're 9-4, Fuente bolts and in leaving Novell with a cupboard full, the record is 8-5 last season. Fritz just coached his 15th game at Tulane. Give me a break with that Memphis analogy!

Let's get realistic out there!
torbida
High Tide
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:10 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:45 pm

offense will be exciting if o line can open holes and runner hits them.Yesterday they were close to hitting big runs.Ill be attending FIU game we just need to start winning soon
nowave
Ripple
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:49 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:It's too soon for this, as the Tulsa game will be the first game that can tell us what we need to know about how good Tulane and Fritz are. The Army game won't show much unless Tulane losses, and, even in that situation, it would only show that bowl eligibility would be unlikely.

The benefit of Tulsa game is that Tulsa has lost to Toledo, so it's not elite and it's unlikely that Tulsa will see any sort of ranking at all this season unless it goes on a rampage late in the season.
fritz and the team should be judged after every performance. if he isnt preparing his team to play against teams with unconventional offenses (like navy and army) then he isnt doing his job.
Post Reply