Oklahoma 56 - Tulane 14

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
Wavetime wrote:I know you have to stop the other team. But a bomb and you are up by 35 with 2 minutes left? Assho$%$ I hope they don't win another game!
That's a douchebag move for sure. I hope Willie mentions it to Reilly. It's not just the polls that coaches do that for, it's also that the boosters expected a blowout and there's pressure on the coaches to deliver a gaudy score that feeds their egos. I think it's ridiculous sportsmanship. One thing to run it down our throats and bust a big run, but that felt like they were trying to appease some of their fans.
That QB was the one of the QBs that transferred away from Texas A&M a couple of seasons ago, right?

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wavetime
Swell

OUG wrote:
Wavetime wrote:I know you have to stop the other team. But a bomb and you are up by 35 with 2 minutes left? Assho$%$ I hope they don't win another game!
That's a douchebag move for sure. I hope Willie mentions it to Reilly. It's not just the polls that coaches do that for, it's also that the boosters expected a blowout and there's pressure on the coaches to deliver a gaudy score that feeds their egos. I think it's ridiculous sportsmanship. One thing to run it down our throats and bust a big run, but that felt like they were trying to appease some of their fans.

I agree with you 100%. If they run their offense and their backups score, so be it. But a bomb!! That's just being a poor sportsman.
nowave
Ripple

play to the final whistle. no one to blame for this embarrassment other than fritz. im sorry but his play calling is atrocious and his offense is not fit for the fbs level.
Wavetime
Swell

nowave wrote:
play to the final whistle. no one to blame for this embarrassment other than fritz. im sorry but his play calling is atrocious and his offense is not fit for the fbs level.

You are not understanding what I'm saying. Oklahoma was the better team and deserved to win big, no question. But being a poor sportsman is different. Not talking about Fritz, the team's performance or anything like that. Just Lincoln Riley's bonehead decision.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote:Well at least LSwho is down 27-7.
Now Miss. St. 30, LSWho 7; Orgeron honeymoon over! :P

Sent from my iPhone
nowave
Ripple

Wavetime wrote:
nowave wrote:
You are not understanding what I'm saying. Oklahoma was the better team and deserved to win big, no question. But being a poor sportsman is different. Not talking about Fritz, the team's performance or anything like that. Just Lincoln Riley's bonehead decision.
i don't think there is a person on this board who would complain if the tables were turned and glenn c came in and threw a bomb like that. don't want to have an 80 plus yard td thrown against you in the waning minutes of a blowout? man up and play better defense.
msdos
Swell

Wavetime wrote:
nowave wrote:

I think it's less an asshole move and more to cover the spread for donors making bets. I'll agree with nowave, it's Fritz's job to stop them and he did not.
Wave755
Tsunami

nowave wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
nowave wrote:
i don't think there is a person on this board who would complain if the tables were turned and glenn c came in and threw a bomb like that. don't want to have an 80 plus yard td thrown against you in the waning minutes of a blowout? man up and play better defense.
OK, game over. Nobody in the nation could beat these guys at Norman. Final: Ohio State 38, Army 7. Let's hope we get Banks back next Saturday. I was hoping to hold OU under 50 pts., disappointed they both threw and hit on bomb with game decided, but I am already over it.
oliveandblue
Surge

I'm OK with Tulane becoming an option program, but if you're going to do that then you need to commit to it. Too often we're completely altering the offense in the middle of the game and switching QBs while the game is still alive.

The offensive decision making just makes no sense. It didn't against Navy (and we really should have won the game), and it got even worse tonight.

We also have talent issues.
nowave
Ripple

oliveandblue wrote:I'm OK with Tulane becoming an option program, but if you're going to do that then you need to commit to it. Too often we're completely altering the offense in the middle of the game and switching QBs while the game is still alive.

The offensive decision making just makes no sense. It didn't against Navy (and we really should have won the game), and it got even worse tonight.

agreed. if youre going to run an offense like this you better put points on the board because you eat up so much clock and put yourself behind the eight ball on the scoreboard and the clock when the opposing team comes out and passes their way down the field for a score in a minute.

boring and ineffective is a bad combination.
Wave755
Tsunami

oliveandblue wrote:I'm OK with Tulane becoming an option program, but if you're going to do that then you need to commit to it. Too often we're completely altering the offense in the middle of the game and switching QBs while the game is still alive.

I will reserve judgment until next week's Army game. The Army game should tell us a whole lot for where this program really is for this season.

Final: Miss. St. 37, LSWho 7; and, how about that "Canada offense." :P
wavemania
Surge

This offense will not work for Tulane. Dont have the OL to be able to do this. Too much La talent to play this style. Unfortunately will take at least another 3 years of this garbage before TD makes a change, if the program is still in existence . Tulane barley has fans in the stands now. This offense is boring, and if you dont win, just the die hards and family members of the players will be the only ones to watch.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I didn't watch the game. Kept checking the internet for updates. From 14-7 lead to 49 unanswered points. I predicted 55-20 defeat. Most disappointing again, like a broken record, is this pathetic passing offense. It was the worst in the country last year and if it doesn't get better this year we will be 1-7 in the AAC again. 66 yards passing vs Navy and 54 this week against Oklahoma. Fritz better figure something out real soon before another season goes down the drain.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It's too soon to tell exactly where this team is. The Tulsa home game in two weeks will be the first real opportunity to see Tulane play a non-option, non top-10 FBS team, and it will serve as a perfect gauge of where the program is. The game next week against Army is certainly relevant for bowl purposes, but, given the types of offenses that the two programs run, it wouldn't be as symbolic of how Tulane will perform against the rest of the teams on the schedule the way the Tulsa game would be.

As a side note, Tulsa just scored a ton of points and still lost to Toledo.
Wave QB
Swell

wavemania wrote:This offense will not work for Tulane. Dont have the OL to be able to do this. Too much La talent to play this style. Unfortunately will take at least another 3 years of this garbage before TD makes a change, if the program is still in existence . Tulane barley has fans in the stands now. This offense is boring, and if you dont win, just the die hards and family members of the players will be the only ones to watch.
Only the spread will survive at Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:
wavemania wrote:This offense will not work for Tulane. Dont have the OL to be able to do this. Too much La talent to play this style. Unfortunately will take at least another 3 years of this garbage before TD makes a change, if the program is still in existence . Tulane barley has fans in the stands now. This offense is boring, and if you dont win, just the die hards and family members of the players will be the only ones to watch.
Only the spread will survive at Tulane.
Exactly. Even getting the second and third tier skill players from Louisiana you can be successful with that offense. In a perfect world we manage to win 6 and Kansas continues to suck and hires WF. RR gets fired at Arizona and both sides finally realize they are a match made in heaven. Never happens but one can dream. :roll:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Well, at least we made both of our extra points. After Army & Tulsa we will know what's up for this season. An Army win is crucial for next week.
Last edited by Wave755 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Had a great time inspite of the loss. Too bad most OU fans have no idea where Tulane is located.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Too bad most OU fans have no idea where Tulane is located.
Tells us how little those "Okie yahoos" appreciate academic excellence.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
oliveandblue
Surge

I don't think we have to run a spread. Good quarterback play is very hard to find - and you MUST have good QB play for it to work.

The thing about option teams is that if they fall behind or face an elite defense you're cooked. However, option teams do really well against similar/weaker talent.

If you want to be an option team, there is a limit to how hard you should schedule in non-conference play. We would want to go 4-0 in non-conference against a softer slate so that we can manufacture a run of bowl games.

Over a long period of time, Tulane under Fritz will get very very good vs. G5/FCS, and rather poor vs. P5 programs.
OUG
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:
Or culture. Or class. I mean you don't need to be into academics to know where Tulane is or that it exists. I would think most people would know this, even if they don't respect our football prowess (which they shouldn't).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Or culture. Or class. I mean you don't need to be into academics to know where Tulane is or that it exists. I would think most people would know this, even if they don't respect our football prowess (which they shouldn't).
I should have said most of the ones I came into contact with.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

Very proud of the 1st half performance of the team. Talent and depth will rise to the top and it did Saturday. No better feeling than going toe to toe with OK. Imagine that feeling EVERY week. At times that 86,000+ crowd was very quiet.

That being said, those of you that have a pipe dream of joining or being asked to join the Big 12 just need to walk a campus like OU, see the facilities and surroundings and you will quickly return to reality.....we are LIGHT YEARS behind and I don't see how "catching up" or getting to an attractive "invitation" point is possible. Love my Green Wave...just being realistic. By the way lsu is a DUMP compared to OU!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TURVS71 wrote:Very proud of the 1st half performance of the team. Talent and depth will rise to the top and it did Saturday. No better feeling than going toe to toe with OK. Imagine that feeling EVERY week. At times that 86,000+ crowd was very quiet.

That being said, those of you that have a pipe dream of joining or being asked to join the Big 12 just need to walk a campus like OU, see the facilities and surroundings and you will quickly return to reality.....we are LIGHT YEARS behind and I don't see how "catching up" or getting to an attractive "invitation" point is possible. Love my Green Wave...just being realistic. By the way lsu is a DUMP compared to OU!
Plus 1000....and if you think OU's campus' is nice and spread out...you should walk the one at Texas Tech, the second largest Campus in the U.S. complete with it's own internal mass transit system....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !