Navy 23 - Tulane 21

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
galvezwave
Swell

The strength of the staff is on the defensive side. We lost 2 great players and it looks like the same defense to me. I think it's a solid scheme. Offensively, I'm not convinced we have our qb on this roster. Maybe McClain , I don't know. Brantley is run first probably more suited for ga southern . Banks looks to have trouble with accuracy but is serviceable as a passer. There's a reason for the standing offer to Scott. All that said only losing is boring. If Brantley can win throwing 3 passes a game I'll take it. I doubt the notre dame fans were worried about style points when holtz installed the wishbone while everyone else was west coasting

galvezwave
Swell

And I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything. All I know is I've been watching this crap for over 40 years. Right now , I'm not embarrassed to wear a Tulane hat around town. And that's saying something for me. If I'm wrong I'll admit it. But I see a program building, that still has some deficiencies in critical areas. But I have hope. Sue me.
torbida
Surge

There is definitely improvement...this was a winnable game but I'm TIRED of sorry kicking game and it needs fixed asap.6 wins are doable and as a long suffering Wave football fan of would like to see it happen.
wave97
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:As was mentioned earlier, consensus on a prediction for the season was pretty much 5-7. We've got one. FIU, ECU,Cin, one of Army/Tulsa/Htn/SMU gets us to five. Seems like we're right on expectations. And there's no reason to think we can't win two of those last four and go bowling. There's no one that projected five wins that had us beating Navy, and I'd bet half of those that have us 6-6 and bowling didn't have us beating Navy either.

I hate to see the suicide watches we'll have on this board after we lose next week, even though its expected and built into our expectations.

And for what its worth, Navy's not FIU or UTEP. They've been to 13 bowls in the last 14 years. That's more than we've been to in our 124 year HISTORY. They are a solid, mature program that doesn't make mistakes and gets help from the refs at home. We lost by two points due to our mistakes. I guess Ohio State should just fire Urban Meyer and do a full rebuild, because they just lost by two touchdowns. Please stop with the meltdowns.
Yes it does look like we are on track to meet those 5-7 expectations. That's not a good thing. Meeting low expectations is a bad thing not a good thing. Then take a step back and look at the roster and see how much we lose off this team especially on the defensive side. Some want to swear next year is the year we make the big breakthrough. Once you look at the roster it's hard to realistically expect that to happen. So the frustrations mount.
This. I just looked at Tulane's roster and it seems certain that the defense will regress next season. Tulane can only hope that some or all of Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, and maybe even East Carolina will be breaking in new coaches in 2018 and that that will help Tulane be a conference contender next year, but, even then, that may be a little optimistic.
Sean Wilson will have a very difficult time making it through this season. The cupboards are suspect at best for the d-line. We're gonna get rolled without 5th-year transfers.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Agree. We will definitely need to bring in quality transfers on both lines and obviously at kicker.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetime
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Steve, you don't think we're all tired of it as well? Don't forget, we've been dealing with this a whole lot longer than you have. If you think 20 years of futility is hard, try 40-50-60 years like some here. Its going to change, its going to change sooner rather than later, but its not going to be the instant gratification that today's society is always looking for.

And you know what? That's ok. Because I'M TIRED of the flash in the pan, one and done winning seasons. What was the last time we actually put two winning seasons together? 79-80-81? We've had ONE double digit winning season since 1934, the second season of the SEC's existence. For ONCE, I'd like to take the time and build the PROPER foundation, so that we win not just in one season, but many seasons in a row. And I'm convinced that Fritz is the guy that will do that.
1. How many one and done winning seasons have you had in your lifetime? The 3 bowl seasons in my 36 years were a hell of a lot more exciting than the other 33 years.

2. Again, I ask you and anyone who shares the same opinion, what has Fritz done to convince you he is the guy? Not Dannen, not the stadium, not the proposed facilities, not the new President, not the tailgating, etc. etc. etc. FRITZ. Why in the hell does everyone think he is the next coming of Christ when has proved absolutely nothing in 14 games so far?

I can only speak for myself but comparing Fritz to CJ is a no brainer. In CJ's last 2 years we lost 7 games by 30pts or more. Last year we had 2 of those games. In my opinion our tackling is better and our WR's are better as a whole. Maybe it's the boring time of possession offense that we have, but it seems like we are in every game unless we are totally outmatched like GT last year and Okc this year. I just see WF getting more disciplined play out of the same talent that CJ did. Now, compared to Larry Smith, Tommy Bowden and Mack Brown, no, not in the same ball park. I do think WF will win when he brings in his own talent and the line play improves. Sader had a real good comment earlier in the thread that this type of offense will be a challenge here because we have a hard time getting the lineman needed to execute. I do think he is right, but any offense can work if it's executed.
galvezwave
Swell

Larry and Mack were both 5-17 their first 2 seasons. Tougher schedules ? Absolutely, but I don't see Terrance Jones or Marc Zeno on our roster either. They had better players . I will give you Bowden. But still we've got no Shaun king or rich rod either.

Some of us see something, some don't . That's fine. That's why this board was created , right? Let's all hope and pray I got it right. Can we do that ?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wavetime wrote:I can only speak for myself but comparing Fritz to CJ is a no brainer. In CJ's last 2 years we lost 7 games by 30pts or more. Last year we had 2 of those games.
To be fair, CJ only lost 3 conference games by 30+ during 2014 and 2015, and, considering both that Fritz lost 2 conference games by that amount last season and that Fritz has 7 conference games to go this season, it's a little early to use that metric as evidence of improvement. The focus is on conference games since 2016 OOC schedule was easier than the OOC schedules in either 2014 or 2015.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The staff should watch the offensive film from 98 to see how RR overcame poor line play. We line up in spread formations but we don't utilize it to protect our line.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:The staff should watch the offensive film from 98 to see how RR overcame poor line play. We line up in spread formations but we don't utilize it to protect our line.

Definitely agree.
DrBox
Riptide

We do lose a lot on defense next year; but a lot of young guys are in the rotation. A true frosh was our 2nd leading tackler yesterday. Cam Sample had more tackles than Washington and Aruna combined. We lost our 2 best defenders from last season (or at least 2 of the best 3) and we aren't missing a beat.
We may be a tick down defensively, but by next season our option O should be prolific. At least that's the presumption of those who think that next year will be the breakout year (which I believe).
Of course, yesterday we played a team that knew exactly how to defend us; and we to defend them. We'll find out a lot when Tulsa comes to town. Hopefully, we'll be 2-2 and then we'll see if we can slow down a prolific offense, and/or score a lot against a porous defense.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote:The staff should watch the offensive film from 98 to see how RR overcame poor line play. We line up in spread formations but we don't utilize it to protect our line.
+ 1 million
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:Fritz wants to win now. He ain't a young guy. He knew exactly what he was getting into. Why did he want the job? There are less than 130 FBS HC jobs. A couple of years ago and in his early fifties, he was looking at best at being a successful FCS coach capping a career in the minors, literally. Meanwhile he's now making what 6x/8x (?? I truly don't know) what he was making at SHSU. His staff has ridden that train too with a stop in Statesboro on the way. Do you think those folks aren't ecstatic to be at Tulane compared to Huntsville where everyone else in town works at the prison?

As concerns graduating seniors who contribute, Tulane needs to adjust its recruiting to reloading instead of rebuilding. Every good team loses good players every year but maintains consistent records year-in and year-out. Let's see if Fritz can do it.

These folks have the same urgency to succeed the fans do. I believe they will. Meanwhile please spare us the melodrama.
Says the world's most melodramatic poster. :mrgreen:
Perhaps but as many have pointed out since you always have to have the last word in everything, you're off your game today. You can't do better than that? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Notice the smiley face. Was just kidding with you. Keep it coming.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was posted elsewhere that someone listened to the Navy radio broadcast. They had a former player on their radio team. When we were on offense he called all of our plays before we ran them.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:I'm not saying that the culture and environment aren't trying to change around here. All I'm saying is that I see no improvement YET this year from last year, and WF hasn't shown me anything yet.
I am 100% behind Fritz, but I agree with you. We need to start winning now. Beating Navy would have made me feel as if times have changed around here.
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Interesting that so many say Navy's not a good team, but somehow this "not a good team" currently has the longest home winning streak in the nation. Go figure.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Interesting that so many say Navy's not a good team, but somehow this "not a good team" currently has the longest home winning streak in the nation. Go figure.
It's far too early for anyone to seriously claim that Navy isn't a good team or that it won't compete for the AAC West title.
Show Me
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
Huge home field advantage with an assist by the officials. They are never called for penalties. It's an unwritten rule with Military schools.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

To close out this post, here's your box score for the game:

Time of Possession: pretty even Tulane at 29:37 Navy at 30:23

Turnovers: Tulane 0, Navy 2; Tulane +2

Penalties: Tulane 7 for 41 yards, Navy 0

3rd down efficiency: TU: 3/14, Navy 6/15

1st downs gained: TU: 11, Navy: 14

Total Yards:

TU: 262
Navy: 326

Passing:

TU: 71 yards (Banks 3/5 13 yards, Brantley 5/8 58 yards)
Navy: 132 yards (Abbey 4/12, 132 yards)

Rushing:

TU: 191 yards (Brantley 9 rushes for 72 yards, 1 td, Hilliard 16 rushes for 68 yards, 1 td, Badies 9 rushes for 37 yards, Bradwell 8 rushes for 31 yards)
Navy: 194 yards (Abbey 29 rushes for 108 yards, high 14 rushes for 51 yards, Perry 2 rushes for 17 yards)

Receiving:

TU: 71 yards (Encalade 5 receptions for 39 yards, Mooney 1 for 24 yards, Jones 1 for 8 yards)
Navy: 132 yards (Carmona 1 reception for 79 yards 1 td, Bonner 2 receptions for 53 yards)

ST:
No team tried a FG all day. Tulane missed it's second extra point attempt.
Block had 6 punts with a net average of about 35.2 yards. Sore spot is still field goals, got to make them.

Tough loss for our boys. We could/should have won. That extra point miss in my mind is what swung the game including game planning etc. On to Oklahoma where we are heavy heavy heavy underdogs.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And if you think about the fact that Navy had a 52yd run and a 79 yard pass reception, they had less than 200 yds the rest of the day.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Refs missed the call:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 4abc3.html

Army game is at 11.

Marbley made the AAC Honor Roll!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:And if you think about the fact that Navy had a 52yd run and a 79 yard pass reception, they had less than 200 yds the rest of the day.
What about the fumble return for a touchdown and the interception close to the goal line? That's a 14 point swing in our favor. 23 - 7 maybe? We lost either way. Just sayin'.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
RobertM320
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:And if you think about the fact that Navy had a 52yd run and a 79 yard pass reception, they had less than 200 yds the rest of the day.
What about the fumble return for a touchdown and the interception close to the goal line? That's a 14 point swing in our favor. 23 - 7 maybe? We lost either way. Just sayin'.
I didn't say those would have changed the outcome. My only point was that the defense overall performed well.