Navy 23 - Tulane 21

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
OUG
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:
OUG wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:It's too soon to tell how good Tulane is as this point. Tulane's first game against a non-Oklahoma, non-triple option team (Tulsa) should provide clarity.
And, oh, by the way; Final: Tulsa 66, ULALA 42. :-D Tulsa will be a very winnable game for us.
Unlikely. I don't see how we keep up with their offense. Houston is probably a better matchup for us. Right now I think the path to 6-6 runs through Army, FIU, ECU, and two of SMU/UH/Cincinnati.
I don't know, they gave up 42 points to ULALA? :confused:
And still won by three touchdowns.

Bigschtick
Riptide

sader24 wrote:This offense isn't going to work at this level unless we have a dominant offensive line and an amazing QB, neither of which we have and one we will never have. This is absolutely atrocious. Offense is worse this year than last.

Play calling sucks too! Just completely boring watching Tulane football.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Wave755
Tsunami

OUG wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
OUG wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:It's too soon to tell how good Tulane is as this point. Tulane's first game against a non-Oklahoma, non-triple option team (Tulsa) should provide clarity.
And, oh, by the way; Final: Tulsa 66, ULALA 42. :-D Tulsa will be a very winnable game for us.
Unlikely. I don't see how we keep up with their offense. Houston is probably a better matchup for us. Right now I think the path to 6-6 runs through Army, FIU, ECU, and two of SMU/UH/Cincinnati.
I don't know, they gave up 42 points to ULALA? :confused:
And still won by three touchdowns.
And, ULALA gave up 48 pts. playing at home to SELA?
Eaglewave
Swell

I just don't get it fellas. This is depressing. I respect WF for playing to win. As many of y'all know, I was in favor of his hiring and wanted him at Tulane. I still believe that he is going to win, but I am so tired of losing. We could have won that game.
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Of course, what looks like it would be a couple of the more beatable teams in the AAC this year arent on our schedule: UConn and Temple. Temple beat Villanova today 16-13.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

greenie78 wrote:We're better than last year because our QB play is better and our defense is still strong. I projected 6-6 so I think we'll get that. I'm not panicking over this loss though I thought we would win today. But too many mistakes on the road. Still we're better than last year. If anyone is questioning WF, go look and see how Ga Southern has done since he left.
For the life of me, I really want to understand how at this point in the season you can say we are better than last year. HOW??? Our only win so far this year is against an FCS school who we did not beat as convincingly as last years' FCS opponent Southern, AND we we played a better game last year vs. Navy. I'm really not trying to be all gloom and doom, but your statement has ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NO backing whatsoever. Please. Anyone. What am I missing?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Show Me wrote:What will the OU line be?
OU- 1,000,000
greenphantom
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
greenie78 wrote:We're better than last year because our QB play is better and our defense is still strong. I projected 6-6 so I think we'll get that. I'm not panicking over this loss though I thought we would win today. But too many mistakes on the road. Still we're better than last year. If anyone is questioning WF, go look and see how Ga Southern has done since he left.
For the life of me, I really want to understand how at this point in the season you can say we are better than last year. HOW??? Our only win so far this year is against an FCS school who we did not beat as convincingly as last years' FCS opponent Southern, AND we we played a better game last year vs. Navy. I'm really not trying to be all gloom and doom, but your statement has ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NO backing whatsoever. Please. Anyone. What am I missing?
We're not better by much but I will say that at least we have decent QB play. That being said, Fritz is not a good coach. He is at least lower tier FBS quality which is light years above CJ and Scelfo. We're improved in that we should be in most games but the ceiling isn't likely to be very high.
galvezwave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Major, major rebuilding project of a program with an inherent, ingrained , almost addiction to losing. If you can't see it getting better , you either haven't been to a Tulane game since 1998 or you're just blind or don't want to see it. It's taking much longer than we want to. But it's a total refurb, stripped down to the bare slab. A CJ team gives up 50 today. They played like a$$ and still could have won. I don't have a problem with this offense if it wins. Winning is not boring. There was a very general consensus that we were gonna win 5 or maybe 6. Today changes nothing. Tough respectable opponent on the road. I'm so sick of losing too. Yes next week will be a curb stomping. Spend next Saturday with your family or go fishing. And let's see if we can get on track for army. Have a beer . Watch some good teams tonight. The wave will roll again. One day soon. If we didn't care or love the wave we wouldn't be here venting. I love the wave and all wave fans. Our day is coming.
Wave755
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Toledo or CJ teams would have lost today's game by 40+ points. Let's see a couple of more games (OU doesn't count) before we form an opinion for whether this team has progressed from last year.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
Major, major rebuilding project of a program with an inherent, ingrained , almost addiction to losing. If you can't see it getting better , you either haven't been to a Tulane game since 1998 or you're just blind or don't want to see it. It's taking much longer than we want to. But it's a total refurb, stripped down to the bare slab. A CJ team gives up 50 today. They played like a$$ and still could have won. I don't have a problem with this offense if it wins. Winning is not boring. There was a very general consensus that we were gonna win 5 or maybe 6. Today changes nothing. Tough respectable opponent on the road. I'm so sick of losing too. Yes next week will be a curb stomping. Spend next Saturday with your family or go fishing. And let's see if we can get on track for army. Have a beer . Watch some good teams tonight. The wave will roll again. One day soon. If we didn't care or love the wave we wouldn't be here venting. I love the wave and all wave fans. Our day is coming.
We need to win these games. We won one AAC last year. The style of play gives the illusion of better play. What it does is shorten the games and keeps the game closer because we run 80% of the time and burn clock. We still can't kick PAT's going on 5 years now.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt we need to win these type of games. Frustrating to see the same mistakes on ST's for so damn long.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Oklahoma is beating up on Ohio State, 31-13 with just over 9 minutes left, so maybe they'll have a let-down and not beat us up too bad. And they start their conference the following week @Baylor.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
We need to win these games. We won one AAC last year. The style of play gives the illusion of better play. What it does is shorten the games and keeps the game closer because we run 80% of the time and burn clock. We still can't kick PAT's going on 5 years now.

We can't win these yet. navy is still a better football team. I thought that was undisputed going in. We're a year, a kicker and a few linemen away from winning this game. I predicted 5-7 . This was one of my 7. I wonder , make the xp and don't give up the safety. Would everyone be raving about a gutsy, corner turning road win? It's a pretty fine line.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Toledo and CJ didn't coach last year. I'm talking about progress from last year to this year through these 2 games that many are claiming we've accomplished. So far there has been none. Progress would have been us finding a way to win today. Bottom line. "Major rebuilding" of a program means nothing if the work is never completed and the goals are never accomplished, both long and short term. I understand we are still "under construction", but expecting and demanding improvement along the way is critical. Paying $1+ million for a coach, building a stadium, improving facilities, etc. don't mean shit if we never win. I'm not mad at anyone, and this is not a personal attack, I just wish there were more Tulane fans who were tired of losing and done with the constant excuses game after game, season after season, coach after coach, etc. Goodnite.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave
Swell

Fritz is 158-77. He doesn't like losing more than we do. I'm sick to death of it. he is going to win here. It's more than likely not this season.
Eaglewave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:Toledo and CJ didn't coach last year. I'm talking about progress from last year to this year through these 2 games that many are claiming we've accomplished. So far there has been none. Progress would have been us finding a way to win today. Bottom line. "Major rebuilding" of a program means nothing if the work is never completed and the goals are never accomplished, both long and short term. I understand we are still "under construction", but expecting and demanding improvement along the way is critical. Paying $1+ million for a coach, building a stadium, improving facilities, etc. don't mean sh*t if we never win. I'm not mad at anyone, and this is not a personal attack, I just wish there were more Tulane fans who were tired of losing and done with the constant excuses game after game, season after season, coach after coach, etc. Goodnite.

I support Fritz and believe he can win here, but you won't see me posting "we are on the right track" post. I remember when Duke fired Ted Roof at Duke. The AD talked about how he was tired of losing and hearing that "we are getting better" from everyone. He said, "going 3-33 in the conference play isn't going in the right direction in my eyes."

We need to win. Period. I am behind Fritz, but he is getting a decent check.
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Steve, you don't think we're all tired of it as well? Don't forget, we've been dealing with this a whole lot longer than you have. If you think 20 years of futility is hard, try 40-50-60 years like some here. Its going to change, its going to change sooner rather than later, but its not going to be the instant gratification that today's society is always looking for.

And you know what? That's ok. Because I'M TIRED of the flash in the pan, one and done winning seasons. What was the last time we actually put two winning seasons together? 79-80-81? We've had ONE double digit winning season since 1934, the second season of the SEC's existence. For ONCE, I'd like to take the time and build the PROPER foundation, so that we win not just in one season, but many seasons in a row. And I'm convinced that Fritz is the guy that will do that.
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: What was the last time we actually put two winning seasons together?
Answer: '97 & '98
Highwave
Low Tide

I have to say that it's hard to be optimistic about this season after today's offensive showing. Play calling was uninspiring and one-dimensional. We looked slow and unaware on the edges (how many 3rd and 8s became 4th and 1-2 because WR ran the route short and was tackled immediately?)

Defensively we are a bowl team. Offensively we are still a 4-win team --especially with this play calling. Frustrating but luckily I think it's fixable.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The losing absolutely sucks. More than 50 years of it for me. Today was a day that caused some to lose faith. This was supposed to be the day that we made a step up. It didn't happen and people are rightfully upset. We can no longer attract good and upcoming coaches. Our lack of facilities makes them think this is a coach killer job rather than a stepping stone job. So we went and got a veteran who is desperately trying to climb the ranks. We need it to work out under him b/c if it doesn't it's over. No one will risk their career at Tulane if he fails.
greenie78
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Oklahoma is beating up on Ohio State, 31-13 with just over 9 minutes left, so maybe they'll have a let-down and not beat us up too bad. And they start their conference the following week @Baylor.
Baylor is worse than us it seems.