Winning Does

Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:52 pm

OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:Army did beat Navy but that was when Worth was injured. They were a different team and Abey was just seeing his first playing time. Monken is a good coach and is improving Army but they haven't established themselves the way Navy has. The toughest part of playing Army this year is that it's the week after Oklahoma . Glad we have a bye after that stretch with two triple option teams and the Sooners.


I actually think Army is going to be tough this year. No, they aren't as good as Navy, but they don't need to be in order to give us a very tough game and potentially a loss. Fearthewave podcast (this is a better listen than the weekly coaches show, and must-listen for any Tulane fan) had the Navy Blogger on this week, someone who knows the Army program very well, and thinks they could win 9/10 games this season. He went into a lot of detail on it.

We match up well with both Navy and Army because our interior DL and MLBs are good enough to stop the dive. Well, they were last year. This year, we will know in 24 hours.


Yeah the only teams the seem capable of giving Army trouble at the moment are @Ohio State, @Tulane, @Air Force, and Navy; so 8 wins appears to be its floor unless something unexpected happens with the home games against Duke or Temple.



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby winwave » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:04 pm

OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:Army did beat Navy but that was when Worth was injured. They were a different team and Abey was just seeing his first playing time. Monken is a good coach and is improving Army but they haven't established themselves the way Navy has. The toughest part of playing Army this year is that it's the week after Oklahoma . Glad we have a bye after that stretch with two triple option teams and the Sooners.


I actually think Army is going to be tough this year. No, they aren't as good as Navy, but they don't need to be in order to give us a very tough game and potentially a loss. Fearthewave podcast (this is a better listen than the weekly coaches show, and must-listen for any Tulane fan) had the Navy Blogger on this week, someone who knows the Army program very well, and thinks they could win 9/10 games this season. He went into a lot of detail on it.

We match up well with both Navy and Army because our interior DL and MLBs are good enough to stop the dive. Well, they were last year. This year, we will know in 24 hours.


I do think it will be a tough game. They are getting better and as I said they catch us at a good time for them. When you look at their schedule they should get at least 6. They don't play a tough schedule by any stretch.


It's the facilities stupid!

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5122
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby DfromCT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:53 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:Army did beat Navy but that was when Worth was injured. They were a different team and Abey was just seeing his first playing time. Monken is a good coach and is improving Army but they haven't established themselves the way Navy has. The toughest part of playing Army this year is that it's the week after Oklahoma . Glad we have a bye after that stretch with two triple option teams and the Sooners.


I actually think Army is going to be tough this year. No, they aren't as good as Navy, but they don't need to be in order to give us a very tough game and potentially a loss. Fearthewave podcast (this is a better listen than the weekly coaches show, and must-listen for any Tulane fan) had the Navy Blogger on this week, someone who knows the Army program very well, and thinks they could win 9/10 games this season. He went into a lot of detail on it.

We match up well with both Navy and Army because our interior DL and MLBs are good enough to stop the dive. Well, they were last year. This year, we will know in 24 hours.


Yeah the only teams the seem capable of giving Army trouble at the moment are @Ohio State, @Tulane, @Air Force, and Navy; so 8 wins appears to be its floor unless something unexpected happens with the home games against Duke or Temple.


@ Ohio State, @ Air Force and home versus Duke and Temple are a whole lot tougher games ON PAPER AT THIS POINT than @ Tulane, which most Army fans (and their fan base dwarfs Tulane's) circled as an easy win. What was the score the last time we played Duke and Temple? I believe we lost those two games by close to 80 points combined.

Yes, I think most Army fans think they'll be "walkin' in New Orleans" and walkin out with a W. They had a very good year 3 under Monken last year and look to step up this year. There's no reason or argument why any Tulane fan should think this is a W. We will be underdogs, regardless of the outcome this week, when we play Army. And we'll probably be coming off of a 40+ point loss, but that should mean we're ready to attack a lesser opponent, not hide in a corner and lick our wounds. Anyone that played the game on any level knows that playing a much better opponent one week and a weaker on the following week usually leads to dominating the lesser opponent. If you collapse after playing a dominant opponent, you were never a good team to begin with.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby winwave » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:51 pm

There's lots of reasons to think we can get a W against Army. We are a much different team than the last time we played Duke and Duke has stepped back since then. No comparison between then and now. So they upset Temple and beat Navy when Navy stopped winning games b/c they didn't have Worth anymore. So their success could certainly be viewed as overstated. As for the timing of the game we will have just played a triple option team. Tuning up for it once is one thing . Having to come back and do it again two weeks later is tough. We will have had our legs chopped against Navy and then had a very physical game against Oklahoma. Like I said that sets up well for Army. No one has said you can put it in the books as a W. What's been said is they aren't in Navy's class at this point.


It's the facilities stupid!

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5122
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby DfromCT » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:06 am

The fact that you've faced the same triple option offense two weeks prior doesn't make it more difficult to prepare for it makes it easier. Your logic makes no sense. I've watched Army fairly closely for a long, long time. West Point is one of the best places to see a game in the country, and I've been going there, typically once or twice a year, since the 70's. This Army team is much better than anything they've fielded in a very long time, and IMHO is better right now than Navy. And they were a year ago as well.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby winwave » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:13 am

I'm talking about the extreme mental discipline it takes to prepare yourself for it. That's tough to muster just a couple of weeks apart.


It's the facilities stupid!

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5122
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby DfromCT » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 am

winwave wrote:I'm talking about the extreme mental discipline it takes to prepare yourself for it. That's tough to muster just a couple of weeks apart.


You play 12, maybe 13 games a year. They prepare for these 12 games 365 days/year. If it's too tough for them to mentally prepare for an offense they faced two weeks before, then they're playing the wrong sport. BS argument.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby winwave » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:14 am

Not at all. To be successful against these type of teams means going to another level of mental discipline. I think that's tough for a team to do. I didn't like it when we scheduled two in the same season and even less when the games were put so close together. It was just a few seasons ago when many of our fans were complaining when we had to face multiple option teams in one season. So others get it.


It's the facilities stupid!

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5122
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby DfromCT » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:27 am

They complained because those teams, which were pretty good defensively, were getting dominated by the triple option. I still think your argument is BS, and most people that played the game at any level would agree. An offense that is unfamiliar is MUCH more difficult to prepare for than one that you faced two weeks prior. Agree to disagree.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1161
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby lurker123 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:29 am

winwave wrote:Not at all. To be successful against these type of teams means going to another level of mental discipline. I think that's tough for a team to do. I didn't like it when we scheduled two in the same season and even less when the games were put so close together. It was just a few seasons ago when many of our fans were complaining when we had to face multiple option teams in one season. So others get it.


No doubt it is tougher. But then by definition certainly the service academy teams have lesser talent. I'm looking for things to go our way where other schools say we spend 51 weeks prepping for spread or pro-style offenses and then Fritz shows up with his deal. That's just not fair.......



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby winwave » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:40 am

DfromCT wrote:They complained because those teams, which were pretty good defensively, were getting dominated by the triple option. I still think your argument is BS, and most people that played the game at any level would agree. An offense that is unfamiliar is MUCH more difficult to prepare for than one that you faced two weeks prior. Agree to disagree.


No they wouldn't agree. Like I said they said here very loudly that they agree with my take. Agree to disagree.


It's the facilities stupid!

alumniwave
Low Tide
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:36 am
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby alumniwave » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:52 am

Navy looked really good against FAU. Really tough test for Tulane.



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5122
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby DfromCT » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:12 pm

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:They complained because those teams, which were pretty good defensively, were getting dominated by the triple option. I still think your argument is BS, and most people that played the game at any level would agree. An offense that is unfamiliar is MUCH more difficult to prepare for than one that you faced two weeks prior. Agree to disagree.


No they wouldn't agree. Like I said they said here very loudly that they agree with my take. Agree to disagree.


Your take is illogical. Say it as loud as you like, it still makes no sense. You'd rather face the triple option when you haven't seen it for a year or longer than twice in a season? Yeah, sound fundamental logic. Shout it from the top of the hills, it still makes NO sense.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby winwave » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Not what I said. We face it regularly with Navy on the schedule. Our DC worked under Monken. We now the system. It's just not something you want to face multiple times in the same season. All the cut blocking taking your players legs out. Then the mental discipline you have to muster that is much more than usual. I get that you don't get it.


It's the facilities stupid!

Ruski
Surge
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby Ruski » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:46 pm

AutoNation Cure Bowl

Citrus Bowl Stadium, Orlando, Florida
Dec. 16, 2:30 p.m. (CBSSN)

Bonagura: Tulane vs. Coastal Carolina


http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tions-2017



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5122
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby DfromCT » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:04 am

winwave wrote:Not what I said. We face it regularly with Navy on the schedule. Our DC worked under Monken. We now the system. It's just not something you want to face multiple times in the same season. All the cut blocking taking your players legs out. Then the mental discipline you have to muster that is much more than usual. I get that you don't get it.


Fido, what you don't get is that it's easier to play the same system twice in three weeks than it is to face it once every so often. I'll guarantee you the announcers next week say multiple times that Tulane should be ready to go against the triple option because they faced Navy two weeks prior. Your logic is illogical.

But sink those teeth in, Fido, and once again take the last word so you feel like you've won an argument where you logic makes ZERO sense.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10298
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby winwave » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 am

Again that's not what I said. We know the system. It's mustering that extreme mental discipline again in such a short period that is going to be tough. As I posted above we had many post their thought on being against playing multiple option teams in one season.


It's the facilities stupid!

Ruski
Surge
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby Ruski » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:54 am

Interesting notes from ESPN FPI:

- projected wins: 5.9 - 6.1
- 26th most efficient Defense
- 1.9% chance to beat OU
- 1.0% chance to win the conference



Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:28 am

Ruski wrote:Interesting notes from ESPN FPI:

- projected wins: 5.9 - 6.1
- 26th most efficient Defense
- 1.9% chance to beat OU
- 1.0% chance to win the conference


Yep. Tulane played better than expected versus Grambling and Navy, and, given some of the uncertainty around the AAC, ESPN's adjustments move Tulane upward. @ECU and @FIU seem like Ws for certain at this point and @Oklahoma will be an L, but the remaining 3 Ws needed for bowl eligibility are still up in the air:

Houston - Offense looks bad/Defense looks good
Tulsa - Offense looks good/Defense looks bad
@SMU - Offense looks good/Defense looks okay
Army - Offense looks okay/Defense looks good
@Memphis - Unclear (played one game and it was against a FBS team during bad weather)
Cincinnati - Unclear (struggled against FCS but was competitive with Michigan until the 4th quarter)
USF - Offense looks okay with slow starts/Defense looks okay

The above could easily change as more games are played.



User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 5703
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Winning Does

Postby RobertM320 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Ruski wrote:Interesting notes from ESPN FPI:

- projected wins: 5.9 - 6.1
- 26th most efficient Defense
- 1.9% chance to beat OU
- 1.0% chance to win the conference


That says something. Twice as likely to beat Oklahoma as we are to win the AAC. Not sure WHAT it says, but it says something. :mrgreen:


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

anEngineer
Low Tide
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby anEngineer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:29 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
Ruski wrote:Interesting notes from ESPN FPI:

- projected wins: 5.9 - 6.1
- 26th most efficient Defense
- 1.9% chance to beat OU
- 1.0% chance to win the conference


That says something. Twice as likely to beat Oklahoma as we are to win the AAC. Not sure WHAT it says, but it says something. :mrgreen:


It says lightning can strike once but it's not going to strike 4-5 times that it would take to win the conference.



User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 5703
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Winning Does

Postby RobertM320 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:52 pm

anEngineer wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Ruski wrote:Interesting notes from ESPN FPI:

- projected wins: 5.9 - 6.1
- 26th most efficient Defense
- 1.9% chance to beat OU
- 1.0% chance to win the conference


That says something. Twice as likely to beat Oklahoma as we are to win the AAC. Not sure WHAT it says, but it says something. :mrgreen:


It says lightning can strike once but it's not going to strike 4-5 times that it would take to win the conference.


You know, that's kinda the same thing I was thinking.


"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini

DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5122
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby DfromCT » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Ruski wrote:Interesting notes from ESPN FPI:

- projected wins: 5.9 - 6.1
- 26th most efficient Defense
- 1.9% chance to beat OU
- 1.0% chance to win the conference


They really give us a better chance at upsetting OU this week than winning the conference? Maybe they're drinking the vodka, too!


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1554
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Winning Does

Postby nawlinspete » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:09 pm

OK, all you whiners and naysayers, y'all out of excuses to not attend our games.

We are playing well; correction extremely well. We are playing the entire game. Our players are invested and we need to invest in Tulane athletics immediately by attending our remaining games instead of continued whining about how expensive seats are. Just as the Plymouth is long gone so are 1960 prices.

But for a bad center snap and a bad decision by Coach Fritz we'd be 2 - 0 and Army is winnable after whatever may come from our trip to Norman.

ESPECIALLY with a full and loud Yulman.

Just Do It....


Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience

User avatar
msdos
Swell
Posts: 1198
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Status: Online

Re: Winning Does

Postby msdos » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:45 pm

nawlinspete wrote:We are playing well; correction extremely well.


Not sure what team you were watching, but it sure as sh*t wasn't Tulane



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: msdos and 14 guests