Grambling Game thread

User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2597
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby OUG » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:The reason this is not an automatic win: Grambling's only loss last season was a game they lead at halftime 21-3 against a team a LOT better than Tulane.


I think saying Arizona was a LOT better than Tulane last year is an overstatement, to say the least. Other than Grambling, they only beat Hawaii and Arizona State (in an end of season rivalry game). They were 79th in ESPN FPI, Tulane was 95th.

Of course it's not an automatic win -- nothing is -- but we should win this game.


Have you taken a look at Arizona's 2016 schedule? Aside from the wins, Oregon State, and UCLA, Arizona faced murderers row - Washington, Washington State, Stanford, USC, Colorado, Utah, and BYU (none of which won less than 8 games). Could Arizona have performed better @Oregon State and @UCLA? Sure, but it also performed admirably by losing to BYU by 2 and going to OT with CFP participant Washington.


Losing to good teams does not make you a good team. They also lost to bad teams. The ratings indexes take the schedule into account. Objectively they weren't a much better team than Tulane was. Wake also played a "tough schedule" last year (FSU! Clemson! Louisville!) and went 7-6 against it. Were they A LOT better than Tulane?

The Pee-Five bias is strong with some of you guys.



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5136
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby DfromCT » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Arizona would have been a double digit favorite on a neutral field (or even at Yulman, since we don't draw) against Tulane last year, and I would have laid the points and bet the house. Anyone that says otherwise after seeing both teams play is fooling themselves.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1446
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:01 pm

OUG wrote:
Losing to good teams does not make you a good team. They also lost to bad teams. The ratings indexes take the schedule into account. Objectively they weren't a much better team than Tulane was. Wake also played a "tough schedule" last year (FSU! Clemson! Louisville!) and went 7-6 against it. Were they A LOT better than Tulane?

The Pee-Five bias is strong with some of you guys.


Arizona's 2016 schedule was dramatically more difficult than Wake Forest's, and it's not remotely close - Sagarin place's Arizona's 2016 schedule as the #18 toughest schedule in the nation while Wake Forest sits at #59 (Tulane is #78)*. Would 2016 Tulane have won 4 games against Arizona's schedule? The answer is probably not, especially when one considers that not all non-bowl teams are of the same strength. Also, given that Wake won 3 more games against a tougher schedule, yes, it was a lot better than Tulane.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/s ... 2016/team/

*Note that these rankings include the impact of bowls, so Arizona's pre-bowl schedule strength would almost certainly be ranked in the top 10.



User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2597
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby OUG » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:54 pm

I have eyeballs and watch a lot of college football. Arizona was not "A LOT" better than Tulane, and neither was Wake (hey, there's actual footage of a matchup between those two!). Wake certainly developed more over the course of the season, than Tulane did, but you'd have to say we belonged on the field with them. The same teams that beat Arizona last year would have beaten us, sure. But how does that mean Arizona is A LOT better? Does getting pounded by good teams sprinkle some "good team fairy dust" on you? The objective rankings say Arizona was *slightly* better, but within a negligible range.

People overstate how good these bottom-tier P5 programs are and understate how good the AAC is. I'll leave it at this: The fact that Arizona had the privilege of getting stomped by a few top 25 teams says nothing about how good they were, it only shows what level they were not at. Arizona was not even an average FBS football team last year and nobody that regularly watches or wagers on PAC 12 football would tell you otherwise. So all Grambling's loss to Arizona tells you is that they can hang in there but still lose against a mediocre FBS team. Ok, fine -- but that's not how it was spun in the original post. We should not be worried about beating Grambling at home.



User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2597
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby OUG » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:07 pm

DfromCT wrote:Arizona would have been a double digit favorite on a neutral field (or even at Yulman, since we don't draw) against Tulane last year, and I would have laid the points and bet the house. Anyone that says otherwise after seeing both teams play is fooling themselves.


Arizona sucked last year. Tulane sucked. Tulane was probably worse. But not by "a lot" - certainly not by enough to make their game against Grambling some fear factor for us. And I doubt they would have blown us out. We were within two scores of Houston (#38 FPI) and Memphis (#51) at home, when we were at our healthiest, both better than Arizona. You could bet the house on a blowout if you wanted to, but you'd never convince me that you're not being effected by some p5 bias in doing so.



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5136
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby DfromCT » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Your right, I have a P5 bias. I think the P5 teams are generally better than the G5 teams. So does most of the rest of the world, which is why the P5 TV contracts are so much better. More people watch.

Arizona played a final 4 playoff team to overtime. Arizona lost to BYU by 2 points. Yes, they had some bad losses, but so did we. We wouldn't have scored more than 17 points against them, and I feel they would have scored 30 or more against us. So yes, I'd lay 10+ points and bet the house. Two teams in the country were more inept than Tulane on offense. Nobody was worse at 3rd down conversions. Their program had a bad year, but was MUCH more mature than Tulane in 2016. We sucked a lot more than they did, even though they had a bad season.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10326
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby winwave » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:32 pm



It's the facilities stupid!

User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1868
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby Eaglewave » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:40 pm

I am more concerned about beating Navy and Oklahoma than worrying about a damn SWAC FCS program in this era. We will beat them convincingly just like we usually do SWAC opponents. Call us what you want, but we don't lose to FCS programs and it won't happen Saturday. Grambling has one weapon, Ole Miss transfer Devonte Devonte. He is one of the best QB's in FCS, but he is only one kids surrounded by other division II and FCS caliber kids. I


" Lee looked good today, Montana looked good, Powell did some good things, Jordy looked great! Having all of these QB's who can all make plays is a great problem to have!" ( Former Head Coach Curtis Johnson)

Ruski
Surge
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game threaded

Postby Ruski » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:41 pm

More interesting to me than W/L and score predictions for this game, how many TDS do we need to win by for you to say WOW? Also what's the bare minimum margin before this is considered a bad win?

I'd say if we get 60+ again like Southern then I'll be impressed. If we win by less than 3 tds then it's a bad sign.



Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game threaded

Postby Wave QB » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:17 am

Ruski wrote:More interesting to me than W/L and score predictions for this game, how many TDS do we need to win by for you to say WOW? Also what's the bare minimum margin before this is considered a bad win?

I'd say if we get 60+ again like Southern then I'll be impressed. If we win by less than 3 tds then it's a bad sign.


I will be impressed as well because Grambling is better than Southern. They almost put up 60 on SU last year as well.



Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1446
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game threaded

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:45 am

Wave QB wrote:
Ruski wrote:More interesting to me than W/L and score predictions for this game, how many TDS do we need to win by for you to say WOW? Also what's the bare minimum margin before this is considered a bad win?

I'd say if we get 60+ again like Southern then I'll be impressed. If we win by less than 3 tds then it's a bad sign.


I will be impressed as well because Grambling is better than Southern. They almost put up 60 on SU last year as well.


This. A 3 TD margin of victory will remove all doubt.



Stroke
Ripple
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby Stroke » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:43 am

You Guys Do Know that we beat Southern 52-30 with them getting a 3rd String Touchdown with 3 sec remaining in the Game. You guys whipped them in the worse display of football I ever seen 66-21, You guys had 8 passing Yards against those chumps and their Coaches never rotated the D linemen when you guys was clearly Running the ball up their Butt out of their Mouths.

We have more then Just the Best QB in La College Football, We also have Martez Carter (4), Darraus Flowers (28), Last Chance U LB, De Aruis Christmas (5), Derrick Dixion is also A guy that equals the playing Field. Not to mention, Local Warren Easton Product Darrel Clark.
I think this will be a good one to Watch. Tulane advantage is in the Trenches.



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10326
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby winwave » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:19 am

Stroke wrote:You Guys Do Know that we beat Southern 52-30 with them getting a 3rd String Touchdown with 3 sec remaining in the Game. You guys whipped them in the worse display of football I ever seen 66-21, You guys had 8 passing Yards against those chumps and their Coaches never rotated the D linemen when you guys was clearly Running the ball up their Butt out of their Mouths.

We have more then Just the Best QB in La College Football, We also have Martez Carter (4), Darraus Flowers (28), Last Chance U LB, De Aruis Christmas (5), Derrick Dixion is also A guy that equals the playing Field. Not to mention, Local Warren Easton Product Darrel Clark.
I think this will be a good one to Watch. Tulane advantage is in the Trenches.


Yes we do know and it's why most here have shown respect to Grambling. Can't wait to see your score prediction in the other thread.


It's the facilities stupid!

Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1446
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 am

Yeah most of us that care to know already know that Grambling should not be taken lightly. Personally, I wish that this game had been the 2nd or 3rd game of the season so that Grambling would have had to prepare for Tulane's offense over ~7 days instead of having a few weeks to prepare.



Stroke
Ripple
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby Stroke » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:16 am

Stopping your Offense is going to be about discipline and Conditioning. The Advantage is that you guys have the 3rd and 2nd String to simulate our Offense but we diffidently dont have the personnel to replicate your offense at that Speed.
I would Rather week 2 or Week 3 because it gives our team time to Jell, Last Year we played well VS Arizona because we did have a warm up game to work out the kinks.



User avatar
OUG
Riptide
Posts: 2597
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby OUG » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Yeah most of us that care to know already know that Grambling should not be taken lightly. Personally, I wish that this game had been the 2nd or 3rd game of the season so that Grambling would have had to prepare for Tulane's offense over ~7 days instead of having a few weeks to prepare.


If we beat Grambling 49-24, will you say that we whipped a solid team, or will you say -- "whatever it's Grambling?"

I suspect a lot of people who are building up Grambling this week will be doing the opposite later in the season. For me, you always respect any opponent, but you should expect Tulane to beat a Louisiana FCS team by 3Tds. If not, something's gone wrong with your expectations. If it's close, that's a problem for this team.



Stroke
Ripple
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby Stroke » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 pm

OUG wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Yeah most of us that care to know already know that Grambling should not be taken lightly. Personally, I wish that this game had been the 2nd or 3rd game of the season so that Grambling would have had to prepare for Tulane's offense over ~7 days instead of having a few weeks to prepare.


If we beat Grambling 49-24, will you say that we whipped a solid team, or will you say -- "whatever it's Grambling?"

I suspect a lot of people who are building up Grambling this week will be doing the opposite later in the season. For me, you always respect any opponent, but you should expect Tulane to beat a Louisiana FCS team by 3Tds. If not, something's gone wrong with your expectations. If it's close, that's a problem for this team.

Honestly, I think we found a GEM in Kincade, Arizona beat us by 5 Touchdowns with out him. So We have A true 4 Star QB that is leading us, A guy that was part of a #1 Signing Class of Ole Miss. If he still at OLE MIss he would be starting. Chad Kelly Fizzled away at the end of the year for Ole Miss so he might have ended the year as the Starter



DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5136
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby DfromCT » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:57 pm

If we beat Grambling by a FG, and Grambling goes on to the second or third round of the FCS playoffs, I'd say it's as good a win as Fritz has since he got here. I'm not sure that Grambling is a top 8 FCS team, but if they are, they could beat the bottom 30 of FBS. The top 4 or so FCS teams would whallop the bottom 30. Watch JMU take down ECU in Greenville this weekend.


" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1868
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby Eaglewave » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:13 pm

Stroke wrote:You Guys Do Know that we beat Southern 52-30 with them getting a 3rd String Touchdown with 3 sec remaining in the Game. You guys whipped them in the worse display of football I ever seen 66-21, You guys had 8 passing Yards against those chumps and their Coaches never rotated the D linemen when you guys was clearly Running the ball up their Butt out of their Mouths.

We have more then Just the Best QB in La College Football, We also have Martez Carter (4), Darraus Flowers (28), Last Chance U LB, De Aruis Christmas (5), Derrick Dixion is also A guy that equals the playing Field. Not to mention, Local Warren Easton Product Darrel Clark.
I think this will be a good one to Watch. Tulane advantage is in the Trenches.


Keep dreaming of a FBS upset my North Louisiana buddy. Grambling is coming to New Orleans to get a reality check in FBS football. Yes you have talent, and a very good coach, but you don't have the scholarships or the depth chart to win. Arizona, (who I later found out was missing their starting QB and RB when they cut y'all a check), dominated the second half vs Grambling. Why? Because your SEC transfer went down and your depth chart isn't on a FBS level. You can join our huddle and fool the folks who don't pay attention to FCS football, but I am not one of them. Grambling is the best thing the SWAC has to offer, but nothing else outside of the conference. What's Grambling's record outside of the SWAC for the past 5 years? Be prepared to get beat convincingly. It's absurd for an American Athletic Conference program to show any respect for a SWAC program. I am just hoping we us this game to work on the passing game because running the ball vs Grambling would be too damn easy. I don't want Navy and Oklahoma to even have an idea about what we can do on the ground in the flex.


Where is that SLU kid around here who I had to run off?
Last edited by Eaglewave on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.


" Lee looked good today, Montana looked good, Powell did some good things, Jordy looked great! Having all of these QB's who can all make plays is a great problem to have!" ( Former Head Coach Curtis Johnson)

User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1868
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby Eaglewave » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:46 pm

DfromCT wrote:If we beat Grambling by a FG, and Grambling goes on to the second or third round of the FCS playoffs, I'd say it's as good a win as Fritz has since he got here. I'm not sure that Grambling is a top 8 FCS team, but if they are, they could beat the bottom 30 of FBS. The top 4 or so FCS teams would whallop the bottom 30. Watch JMU take down ECU in Greenville this weekend.


The Bayou Classic prevents Grambling from going to the FCS playoffs. They can't miss out on the payday for their rivalry game vs Southern, and they would miss out on playing in that new bowl game that joined the ESPN Bowl line up.


" Lee looked good today, Montana looked good, Powell did some good things, Jordy looked great! Having all of these QB's who can all make plays is a great problem to have!" ( Former Head Coach Curtis Johnson)

Stroke
Ripple
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby Stroke » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Should be a Good Game, get the Popcorn and Angry wave Beer Ready. Wish it was the Only show in the City, but Hey.



alumniwave
Low Tide
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:36 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby alumniwave » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:42 pm

This will be a close game. See Tulane win by 7. But late pull ahead. Get to .500 this season baby and the big Mo will help the program big time.



Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby Wave QB » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:17 pm

I am a fan of Broderick Fobbs at Grambling. That guy has been great. A 25-2 conference record is impressive anywhere. He is doing a very good job recruiting for GSU as well. The number of P5 FBS transfers are impressive as well. If Fritz doesn't work out for us, we might need to give him a shot.



winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10326
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby winwave » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:08 pm



It's the facilities stupid!

Fat Harry
Low Tide
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:03 am
Status: Offline

Re: Grambling Game thread

Postby Fat Harry » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:07 am

It's not going to be close. Tulane always destroys SWAC competition, and this year will be no exception.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 15 guests