Grambling Game thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Fall camp is over and we are now prepping for Grambling:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/8/ ... -line.aspx

Cam Sample and Patrick Johnson are singled out by Peoples as freshman he see's contributing on the D-line this year.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Defense working on getting better on the Money Down:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... ab1d0.html
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave
Swell

We need open our passing game up against Grambling. They are a FCS-SWAC school and lack the depth chart to beat any FBS school. We need to open up the passing game and don't give Navy or Oklahoma any peeks of our best weapons in the back fields. We should use this tune up accordingly.
Ball Sumrall!
JerseyWave
Riptide

We dominated Southern last year with just the running game. This game should be designed to give Banks confidence running the offense and we definitely need to see more balance in the passing game.
wave97
Swell

I'll be thrilled with a win. We haven't earned the right to treat this game as a "tune up".
Aberzombie1892
Swell

wave97 wrote:I'll be thrilled with a win. We haven't earned the right to treat this game as a "tune up".
You and me both. I expect Tulane to win, but, if that didn't happen, it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world - although if it happened, the media may treat it that way.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Do HBCU schools play in the FCS playoffs? If so, why did Grambling not play in it last year?
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:Do HBCU schools play in the FCS playoffs? If so, why did Grambling not play in it last year?
MBA, my understanding is that HBCUs don't play in FCS playoffs because HBCUs have their own national championship, which Grambling won last year.
ajcalhoun
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:Do HBCU schools play in the FCS playoffs? If so, why did Grambling not play in it last year?
MBA, my understanding is that HBCUs don't play in FCS playoffs because HBCUs have their own national championship, which Grambling won last year.
The FCS Playoffs start Thanksgiving weekend. Grambling and Southern aren't giving up the cash cow known as the Bayou Classic to participate in playoffs.
God Bless Everyone!
TURVS71
Swell

VERY nervous about this one . Grambling up 21-3 , 4th Quarter vs Arizona last year before quarterback injury turned game....
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

I couldn't find much on Grambling 2017, but here's an article from January that talks about what the Grambling team will look like this year. Lots of starters returning on the line, but they also lost a bunch of key contributors from last year's team.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... /96107586/
Aberzombie1892
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:I couldn't find much on Grambling 2017, but here's an article from January that talks about what the Grambling team will look like this year. Lots of starters returning on the line, but they also lost a bunch of key contributors from last year's team.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... /96107586/
Grambling lost a lot on D in the offseason, but it added a nice handful of FBS transfers and signed some community college guys on signing day.

Experienced players added during only 2017 and are eligible to start:
Khalen Whitow,QB, MS Gulf Coast CC
Miguel Mendez, K, Hartnell CC
Rodney Jackson, DT, East MS CC
Donald Freeman, DB, Louisiana Tech
Kendall Hill, DB, Oregon State
Anfernee Mullins, DE, MS State
Keeyon Smart, OL, Kilgore CC/Tulane

By cherry picking 2017 only, the list omits a lot of players that were added in 2016, such as Desherrius Flowers, RB, from U of Alabama/Jones County CC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave
Swell

wave97 wrote:I'll be thrilled with a win. We haven't earned the right to treat this game as a "tune up".
Grambling, (who's football program has an amazing history), dominated the SWAC last year and is the best thing their conference has to showcase. However, the SWAC doesn't win outside their conference and we don't lose to FCS programs. Once the FBS depth chart kicks in, it's over. SLU had more transfers and weapons than Grambling. I do feel they will be better than Southern, but I expect us to be better than the team that beat Southern last year. Grambling has some talent, but we should beat them by 3 or 4 scores. They are a tune up to start this season with a win in front a nice crowd.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Win, you know I'm super nervous about our ST / kicking game and this doesn't make me feel any better. We've been spoiled with great kickers in the past and DiRocco gave me a lot of heartburn. Hopefully Neenan comes up clutch for us. I am predicting a lot of close games this year and after last year, we need every point we can get.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The reason this is not an automatic win: Grambling's only loss last season was a game they lead at halftime 21-3 against a team a LOT better than Tulane.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:The reason this is not an automatic win: Grambling's only loss last season was a game they lead at halftime 21-3 against a team a LOT better than Tulane.
Which also happened to be the only game they played all year against a team that was better than Tulane. If they had played a regular FBS schedule and gone 1-11, you wouldn't be looking at that game the same way. It would just be another lose.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Win, you know I'm super nervous about our ST / kicking game and this doesn't make me feel any better. We've been spoiled with great kickers in the past and DiRocco gave me a lot of heartburn. Hopefully Neenan comes up clutch for us. I am predicting a lot of close games this year and after last year, we need every point we can get.
GPS, I'm nervous too after what I saw in the open practice. At least in the article Neenan owned it that he was kicking too low at times. He says he has addressed it with the coach. That gives me a little hope but I'll have to see him do it consistently in game situations. If he has corrected it I think he will have the range beyond 40.
ajcalhoun
Swell

We aint losing to Grambling. Period. I will ban myself from here if I'm wrong or y'all think of some kind of crazy proposition bet and I will take it.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:The reason this is not an automatic win: Grambling's only loss last season was a game they lead at halftime 21-3 against a team a LOT better than Tulane.
I think saying Arizona was a LOT better than Tulane last year is an overstatement, to say the least. Other than Grambling, they only beat Hawaii and Arizona State (in an end of season rivalry game). They were 79th in ESPN FPI, Tulane was 95th.

Of course it's not an automatic win -- nothing is -- but we should win this game.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

OUG wrote:
I think saying Arizona was a LOT better than Tulane last year is an overstatement, to say the least. Other than Grambling, they only beat Hawaii and Arizona State (in an end of season rivalry game). They were 79th in ESPN FPI, Tulane was 95th.

Of course it's not an automatic win -- nothing is -- but we should win this game.
Have you taken a look at Arizona's 2016 schedule? Aside from the wins, Oregon State, and UCLA, Arizona faced murderers row - Washington, Washington State, Stanford, USC, Colorado, Utah, and BYU (none of which won less than 8 games). Could Arizona have performed better @Oregon State and @UCLA? Sure, but it also performed admirably by losing to BYU by 2 and going to OT with CFP participant Washington.