New facilities announcement

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'll say again that they had three different companies look at the space and draw up plans to make the best use of it.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:I'll say again that they had three different companies look at the space and draw up plans to make the best use of it.
the name of the three companies...1- Larry ... 2 - Curley .... 3 - Moe
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
winwave wrote:I believe it was 70 yards and one end zone for a total of 80 yards. That was before they lost 30 yards of that when they had to take the west end of it for space to bring the TV crews trucks and such back there. I do believe the width was there but just barely as the north sideline abutted the fence separating it form the baseball stadium which is why it was never used to actually practice on.

Ok, so moving the field diagonally will get you 96 yards. If you can somehow reclaim the thirty yards by accommodating the media differently then you can get 122 yards by going diagonally.
I don't understand what u r talking about. The area is an enclosed rectangle. Moving the field diagonally can add length but sacrafice width. I don't think u have ur geometry correct.
Poor math professors ?

Declining memory ?

Both ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
galvezwave
Swell

It doesn't need to be 100 yards. It's a place to get out of the weather and get work in. I don't see 100 yards and 2 end zones being a must.
anEngineer
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:It doesn't need to be 100 yards. It's a place to get out of the weather and get work in. I don't see 100 yards and 2 end zones being a must.
I totally agree. It's for practice, not playing games.
Wavetime
Swell

Georgia, Florida, Miss. St and South Carolina all have practice facilities that are less than 100yds.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... acilities/
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The way it reads is that 3 of the 4 are building full length ones soon.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:The way it reads is that 3 of the 4 are building full length ones soon.
Gotta do something with those $40 million pieces of pie
exflash
High Tide

Can't be thankful enough for the Cajun's IPF-----It is 140 yards long and it helps that it abuts the athletic Performance Center and practice fields....thought that it would be just a rain problem solver but it also helps in crazy heat/ humidity problems!!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

exflash wrote:Can't be thankful enough for the Cajun's IPF-----It is 140 yards long and it helps that it abuts the athletic Performance Center and practice fields....thought that it would be just a rain problem solver but it also helps in crazy heat/ humidity problems!!!
and the storied University of Texas @ Austin practices inside an inflatable bubble next to Interstate-35 southbound
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wavetime wrote:Georgia, Florida, Miss. St and South Carolina all have practice facilities that are less than 100yds.

Add UCLA to that list.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
arkhou02
High Tide

Add the Houston Texans to that group.
arkhou02
High Tide

Meaning the Texans have a bubble.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:
Wavetime wrote:Georgia, Florida, Miss. St and South Carolina all have practice facilities that are less than 100yds.

Add UCLA to that list.
And take off Georgia, Florida and South Carolina as they are in the process of building full length ones.
Wave755
Tsunami

galvezwave wrote:What's with the dropping football crap
+1
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: They never should have built non athletic facilities between Willow and Claiborne. This part of campus was designated the athletic side of campus. Once the stadium was torn down the University did a land grab on athletic land. So sad. The Reily Center and field, TISM, Diebold lot, Dorms and that Coffee shop area all stole our land for athletic facilities. Tulane missed on a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy properties on Calhoun St right after Katrina to expand our footprint. Property values were 1/5 of what they are now.

What an awesome picture of the old stadium. Notice how the top or THIRD level dwarf the facade. The NIMBY's be damned, we should build a SECOND level on the west side, and make our stadium the nice, tight, intimate venue it was designed to be. A second level over there would be ALMOST as high as the second level of the old stadium. They bought their property knowing it abutted Tulane athletic grounds, and a historic stadium site.

F THE NIMBYS

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote: They never should have built non athletic facilities between Willow and Claiborne. This part of campus was designated the athletic side of campus. Once the stadium was torn down the University did a land grab on athletic land. So sad. The Reily Center and field, TISM, Diebold lot, Dorms and that Coffee shop area all stole our land for athletic facilities. Tulane missed on a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy properties on Calhoun St right after Katrina to expand our footprint. Property values were 1/5 of what they are now.

What an awesome picture of the old stadium. Notice how the top or THIRD level dwarf the facade. The NIMBY's be damned, we should build a SECOND level on the west side, and make our stadium the nice, tight, intimate venue it was designed to be. A second level over there would be ALMOST as high as the second level of the old stadium. They bought their property knowing it abutted Tulane athletic grounds, and a historic stadium site.

F THE NIMBYS

ROLL WAVE!
The Stadium should never have been torn down... I could understand the dismantling of the steel "upper decks" on the sidelines and the north endzone, but all of the concrete part should have stayed in place....for those wanting to sit in the old stadium, may I suggest a drive to lovely Shreveport...parts of the steel "upper decks" were used to enlarge that venue..if memory serves, the complete South endzone of the Independence Bowl is actually the North end zone of Tulane stadium. Tony Sardisco, ex Tulane all american, was on the Board of Directors of the Independence Bowl and made the suggestion and purchase
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:

F THE NIMBYS

ROLL WAVE!
+1,000
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

That pic is priceless. One of my favorites of old Tulane Stadium I could find. Now just imagine that entire Yulman was built behind the original stadium on the 120 yard practice field we once had. Poor planning and a land grab of athletic property was the primary cause of the current the lack of space for any new facilities.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

Not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere, but on the Fearthewave podcast, the SBNation writer who did the recent profile on Fritz talked about seeing the renderings of the football facility on campus, and indicated that there will be no cover over the practice field on the football facility, so it won't be an "IPF". He said Dannon doesn't think an IPF is critical and that heat/weather is an advantage for Tulane.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:Not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere, but on the Fearthewave podcast, the SBNation writer who did the recent profile on Fritz talked about seeing the renderings of the football facility on campus, and indicated that there will be no cover over the practice field on the football facility, so it won't be an "IPF". He said Dannon doesn't think an IPF is critical and that heat/weather is an advantage for Tulane.
Yes. The plans were on display at the Cut Off Football Road tour event awhile back. There was no cover on it. Not sure where that rumor came from. No plans at this time for an IPF.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
OUG wrote:Not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere, but on the Fearthewave podcast, the SBNation writer who did the recent profile on Fritz talked about seeing the renderings of the football facility on campus, and indicated that there will be no cover over the practice field on the football facility, so it won't be an "IPF". He said Dannon doesn't think an IPF is critical and that heat/weather is an advantage for Tulane.
Yes. The plans were on display at the Cut Off Football Road tour event awhile back. There was no cover on it. Not sure where that rumor came from. No plans at this time for an IPF.
you mean they are spending 35 million on a non enclosed practice / performance center...are they Fu@%ing nuts ?!?!?
OUG
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
I never believed it had a roof when they announced it. It was pretty clear to me that they don't rank the IPF very high on the list of things a facility needs to have. But a lot of people did assume that the top would be covered.
OUG
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
you mean they are spending 35 million on a non enclosed practice / performance center...are they Fu@%ing nuts ?!?!?
The performance center is enclosed. The field on the roof is not.

There are tons of things that Tulane currently has which are sub-par by FBS standards: meeting rooms, weight rooms, locker rooms, aquatic training facilities (hot tubs/training pools), video rooms and production facilities, nutrition facilities, players lounges, academic/study areas, etc. Players will spend 20x more time in these facilities than in an indoor practice facility. You can easily get to $35m on a facility that includes these amenities without an IPF - Oregon spent almost double on same. Now, they also have an IPF I believe, but that's not the point (they also don't have our real estate constraints). The point is it is not an absurd idea to spend this type of money on a facility like this.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
The performance center is enclosed. The field on the roof is not.

There are tons of things that Tulane currently has which are sub-par by FBS standards: meeting rooms, weight rooms, locker rooms, aquatic training facilities (hot tubs/training pools), video rooms and production facilities, nutrition facilities, players lounges, academic/study areas, etc. Players will spend 20x more time in these facilities than in an indoor practice facility. You can easily get to $35m on a facility that includes these amenities without an IPF - Oregon spent almost double on same. Now, they also have an IPF I believe, but that's not the point (they also don't have our real estate constraints). The point is it is not an absurd idea to spend this type of money on a facility like this.
I can understand why Oregon has and needs and IPF...it rains THERE !!!!