New facilities announcement

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7845
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:10 am

does anyone have any insider info on the new facility that is to be announced...and IPF...an enlarged hot tub...a new stadium... seems there was a rumor on the radio airwaves yesterday in sunny nola


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17864
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:04 pm

golfnut69 wrote:does anyone have any insider info on the new facility that is to be announced...and IPF...an enlarged hot tub...a new stadium... seems there was a rumor on the radio airwaves yesterday in sunny nola
I know of only one. It was made public by TD awhile back at the Cut Off road show event and once again the "Let's Talk FB" event on the WB. $36 million Athletic Academic Performance Center. Unless it's something else then I wouldn't know.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7845
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 pm

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:does anyone have any insider info on the new facility that is to be announced...and IPF...an enlarged hot tub...a new stadium... seems there was a rumor on the radio airwaves yesterday in sunny nola
I know of only one. It was made public by TD awhile back at the Cut Off road show event and once again the "Let's Talk FB" event on the WB. $36 million Athletic Academic Performance Center. Unless it's something else then I wouldn't know.
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17864
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:50 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:does anyone have any insider info on the new facility that is to be announced...and IPF...an enlarged hot tub...a new stadium... seems there was a rumor on the radio airwaves yesterday in sunny nola
I know of only one. It was made public by TD awhile back at the Cut Off road show event and once again the "Let's Talk FB" event on the WB. $36 million Athletic Academic Performance Center. Unless it's something else then I wouldn't know.
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
I doubt it because it's on the exact footprint as the current practice field itself. Just not 120 yards available in that location.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7845
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:does anyone have any insider info on the new facility that is to be announced...and IPF...an enlarged hot tub...a new stadium... seems there was a rumor on the radio airwaves yesterday in sunny nola
I know of only one. It was made public by TD awhile back at the Cut Off road show event and once again the "Let's Talk FB" event on the WB. $36 million Athletic Academic Performance Center. Unless it's something else then I wouldn't know.
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
I doubt it because it's on the exact footprint as the current practice field itself. Just not 120 yards available in that location.
for the kind of money they are throwing around you can dome Yulman and still build a training and meeting room facility....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:23 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:does anyone have any insider info on the new facility that is to be announced...and IPF...an enlarged hot tub...a new stadium... seems there was a rumor on the radio airwaves yesterday in sunny nola
I know of only one. It was made public by TD awhile back at the Cut Off road show event and once again the "Let's Talk FB" event on the WB. $36 million Athletic Academic Performance Center. Unless it's something else then I wouldn't know.
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
I doubt it because it's on the exact footprint as the current practice field itself. Just not 120 yards available in that location.
for the kind of money they are throwing around you can dome Yulman and still build a training and meeting room facility....
Absolutely a more appropriate use of $$$, and a second deck and other expansion in end zones also feasible. Right on golfnut.
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2825
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:20 am

nawlinspete wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:does anyone have any insider info on the new facility that is to be announced...and IPF...an enlarged hot tub...a new stadium... seems there was a rumor on the radio airwaves yesterday in sunny nola
I know of only one. It was made public by TD awhile back at the Cut Off road show event and once again the "Let's Talk FB" event on the WB. $36 million Athletic Academic Performance Center. Unless it's something else then I wouldn't know.
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
I doubt it because it's on the exact footprint as the current practice field itself. Just not 120 yards available in that location.
for the kind of money they are throwing around you can dome Yulman and still build a training and meeting room facility....
Absolutely a more appropriate use of $$$, and a second deck and other expansion in end zones also feasible. Right on golfnut.
Ok Kaare. So Dannen is wrong? Kaare is the one that said Tulane was building a Dome stadium on campus instead of Yulman. No it's not more appropriate to spend another dime on Yulman at this time. Plus it will be a 3rd deck on one side anyway which will look even more ridiculous. Dannen knows what we need now support him.
Jaxwave
Surge
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:08 am

With the possibility of Tulane dropping football if fortunes don't turn, do we really think major money is going to be spent on any more football related facilities. Have to expect whatever is built can be used for other purposes.
User avatar
Bigschtick
Swell
Posts: 2300
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Tucson, Az.
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:04 am

Show Me wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:does anyone have any insider info on the new facility that is to be announced...and IPF...an enlarged hot tub...a new stadium... seems there was a rumor on the radio airwaves yesterday in sunny nola
I know of only one. It was made public by TD awhile back at the Cut Off road show event and once again the "Let's Talk FB" event on the WB. $36 million Athletic Academic Performance Center. Unless it's something else then I wouldn't know.
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
I doubt it because it's on the exact footprint as the current practice field itself. Just not 120 yards available in that location.
for the kind of money they are throwing around you can dome Yulman and still build a training and meeting room facility....
Absolutely a more appropriate use of $$$, and a second deck and other expansion in end zones also feasible. Right on golfnut.
Ok Kaare. So Dannen is wrong? Kaare is the one that said Tulane was building a Dome stadium on campus instead of Yulman. No it's not more appropriate to spend another dime on Yulman at this time. Plus it will be a 3rd deck on one side anyway which will look even more ridiculous. Dannen knows what we need now support him.




I have to agree. Unless and until we can demonstrate we have finally built a consistent,winning football program, why blow more money on Yulman!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7845
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:48 am

Bigschtick wrote:
Show Me wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:does anyone have any insider info on the new facility that is to be announced...and IPF...an enlarged hot tub...a new stadium... seems there was a rumor on the radio airwaves yesterday in sunny nola
I know of only one. It was made public by TD awhile back at the Cut Off road show event and once again the "Let's Talk FB" event on the WB. $36 million Athletic Academic Performance Center. Unless it's something else then I wouldn't know.
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
I doubt it because it's on the exact footprint as the current practice field itself. Just not 120 yards available in that location.
for the kind of money they are throwing around you can dome Yulman and still build a training and meeting room facility....
Absolutely a more appropriate use of $$$, and a second deck and other expansion in end zones also feasible. Right on golfnut.
Ok Kaare. So Dannen is wrong? Kaare is the one that said Tulane was building a Dome stadium on campus instead of Yulman. No it's not more appropriate to spend another dime on Yulman at this time. Plus it will be a 3rd deck on one side anyway which will look even more ridiculous. Dannen knows what we need now support him.




I have to agree. Unless and until we can demonstrate we have finally built a consistent,winning football program, why blow more money on Yulman!

so let's go blow 35 million on a building that will be useless once football is dropped...basketball already has their facility...as does baseball....you use an inflatable roof, like the one on the old metro dome, this in now you IPF by doming Yulman you can now add a upper deck to the west side.... the roof can also be retractable and the end zones past the stands and scoreboard can be left open at all times can be left open at all times for ventilation ...and I bet for a lot less than 35 million
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:57 am

What's with the dropping football crap
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5195
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:32 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:
Show Me wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:does anyone have any insider info on the new facility that is to be announced...and IPF...an enlarged hot tub...a new stadium... seems there was a rumor on the radio airwaves yesterday in sunny nola
I know of only one. It was made public by TD awhile back at the Cut Off road show event and once again the "Let's Talk FB" event on the WB. $36 million Athletic Academic Performance Center. Unless it's something else then I wouldn't know.
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
I doubt it because it's on the exact footprint as the current practice field itself. Just not 120 yards available in that location.
for the kind of money they are throwing around you can dome Yulman and still build a training and meeting room facility....
Absolutely a more appropriate use of $$$, and a second deck and other expansion in end zones also feasible. Right on golfnut.
Ok Kaare. So Dannen is wrong? Kaare is the one that said Tulane was building a Dome stadium on campus instead of Yulman. No it's not more appropriate to spend another dime on Yulman at this time. Plus it will be a 3rd deck on one side anyway which will look even more ridiculous. Dannen knows what we need now support him.




I have to agree. Unless and until we can demonstrate we have finally built a consistent,winning football program, why blow more money on Yulman!

so let's go blow 35 million on a building that will be useless once football is dropped...basketball already has their facility...as does baseball....you use an inflatable roof, like the one on the old metro dome, this in now you IPF by doming Yulman you can now add a upper deck to the west side.... the roof can also be retractable and the end zones past the stands and scoreboard can be left open at all times can be left open at all times for ventilation ...and I bet for a lot less than 35 million
I really don't understand how you think this inflatable roof will work? It's pressurized.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7845
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:06 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:
Show Me wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:does anyone have any insider info on the new facility that is to be announced...and IPF...an enlarged hot tub...a new stadium... seems there was a rumor on the radio airwaves yesterday in sunny nola
I know of only one. It was made public by TD awhile back at the Cut Off road show event and once again the "Let's Talk FB" event on the WB. $36 million Athletic Academic Performance Center. Unless it's something else then I wouldn't know.
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
I doubt it because it's on the exact footprint as the current practice field itself. Just not 120 yards available in that location.
for the kind of money they are throwing around you can dome Yulman and still build a training and meeting room facility....
Absolutely a more appropriate use of $$$, and a second deck and other expansion in end zones also feasible. Right on golfnut.
Ok Kaare. So Dannen is wrong? Kaare is the one that said Tulane was building a Dome stadium on campus instead of Yulman. No it's not more appropriate to spend another dime on Yulman at this time. Plus it will be a 3rd deck on one side anyway which will look even more ridiculous. Dannen knows what we need now support him.




I have to agree. Unless and until we can demonstrate we have finally built a consistent,winning football program, why blow more money on Yulman!

so let's go blow 35 million on a building that will be useless once football is dropped...basketball already has their facility...as does baseball....you use an inflatable roof, like the one on the old metro dome, this in now you IPF by doming Yulman you can now add a upper deck to the west side.... the roof can also be retractable and the end zones past the stands and scoreboard can be left open at all times can be left open at all times for ventilation ...and I bet for a lot less than 35 million
I really don't understand how you think this inflatable roof will work? It's pressurized.
Gee, let me see...The Metro dome opened in 1982, the roof was repaired once and then collapsed due to the weight of record snowfall, something I don't think will happen in NOLA...I think it was open for 30 years, without many issues
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3092
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Still wish they would demo Wilson, rebuild it, and use the entire footprint to build the practice field on top of. You would easily have 100+ yards.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7845
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:16 pm

NOLABigSteve wrote:Still wish they would demo Wilson, rebuild it, and use the entire footprint to build the practice field on top of. You would easily have 100+ yards.
Steve, that would have required forward thinking, or thinking out of the box, which we all know was not going to happen with cow/dick dynasty. I also thought the field should have run northeast to southwest, this would have allowed for a two decks on each sideline....oh well, all will be forgiven or forgot at Sports Beat next Thursday
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:55 pm

when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
A-squared + B+squared= C-Squared

Pythagorean theorem. Build the building diagonally, and you will get a real practice field.
lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:45 am

Robert1969 wrote:
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
A-squared + B+squared= C-Squared

Pythagorean theorem. Build the building diagonally, and you will get a real practice field.
You can incorporate Wilson into this but what are you going to do with Turchin? 100 yard diagonal probably literally ends in Tulane's baseball dugout. Am I missing something?

No doubt this diagonal design as noted above could have worked for Yulman.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17864
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:05 am

lurker123 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
A-squared + B+squared= C-Squared

Pythagorean theorem. Build the building diagonally, and you will get a real practice field.
You can incorporate Wilson into this but what are you going to do with Turchin? 100 yard diagonal probably literally ends in Tulane's baseball dugout. Am I missing something?

No doubt this diagonal design as noted above could have worked for Yulman.
They never should have built non athletic facilities between Willow and Claiborne. This part of campus was designated the athletic side of campus. Once the stadium was torn down the University did a land grab on athletic land. So sad. The Reily Center and field, TISM, Diebold lot, Dorms and that Coffee shop area all stole our land for athletic facilities. Tulane missed on a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy properties on Calhoun St right after Katrina to expand our footprint. Property values were 1/5 of what they are now.
Image
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:50 am

lurker123 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
when this multi level complex is built, will the football field, because it is located above ground level, be expanded to a full 100 yards ?
A-squared + B+squared= C-Squared

Pythagorean theorem. Build the building diagonally, and you will get a real practice field.
You can incorporate Wilson into this but what are you going to do with Turchin? 100 yard diagonal probably literally ends in Tulane's baseball dugout. Am I missing something?

No doubt this diagonal design as noted above could have worked for Yulman.
Not at all. The hypotenuse of a right triangle is solved with the equation above. The rectangle that makes up the current field, when cut in half diagonally makes two right triangles. C=the shared hypotenuse of those two right triangles. Thus, building the complex diagonally will give you the space you need for a football field. it would not stretch beyond the current footprint. This is nothing fancy. it is just basic geometry.
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:54 am

About the practice field as it exists today is it a total of 80 yards or are there end zones? I will show you how much space you would have if you built the new facility diagonally. Also, does it have the proper width for a football field?
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12286
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:37 am

I believe it was 70 yards and one end zone for a total of 80 yards. That was before they lost 30 yards of that when they had to take the west end of it for space to bring the TV crews trucks and such back there. I do believe the width was there but just barely as the north sideline abutted the fence separating it form the baseball stadium which is why it was never used to actually practice on.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:50 am

winwave wrote:I believe it was 70 yards and one end zone for a total of 80 yards. That was before they lost 30 yards of that when they had to take the west end of it for space to bring the TV crews trucks and such back there. I do believe the width was there but just barely as the north sideline abutted the fence separating it form the baseball stadium which is why it was never used to actually practice on.

Ok, so moving the field diagonally will get you 96 yards. If you can somehow reclaim the thirty yards by accommodating the media differently then you can get 122 yards by going diagonally.
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:54 am

winwave wrote:I believe it was 70 yards and one end zone for a total of 80 yards. That was before they lost 30 yards of that when they had to take the west end of it for space to bring the TV crews trucks and such back there. I do believe the width was there but just barely as the north sideline abutted the fence separating it form the baseball stadium which is why it was never used to actually practice on.
Wait, I am sorry, I misread what you wrote here. Is the field now 50 yards?
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12286
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:57 am

Yes it is now 50 b/c of the loss of space. Since the field will be on top they should be able to get that space back.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5195
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:33 am

Robert1969 wrote:
winwave wrote:I believe it was 70 yards and one end zone for a total of 80 yards. That was before they lost 30 yards of that when they had to take the west end of it for space to bring the TV crews trucks and such back there. I do believe the width was there but just barely as the north sideline abutted the fence separating it form the baseball stadium which is why it was never used to actually practice on.

Ok, so moving the field diagonally will get you 96 yards. If you can somehow reclaim the thirty yards by accommodating the media differently then you can get 122 yards by going diagonally.
I don't understand what u r talking about. The area is an enclosed rectangle. Moving the field diagonally can add length but sacrafice width. I don't think u have ur geometry correct.
Post Reply