3 weeks away and....

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
galvezwave
Swell

Our 2 most recent topics are about a meaningless ull-msu game and lsu's scout team qb.

So, let's hear some gut feelings about the upcoming season.

I'll do some.
Banks will not be a savior, but threatening enough to drastically improve the position. DRASTICALLY.

OL, will still maybe be sub par for our league, but will be much better and I think we'll have a functioning offense.

I also don't believe the defense will suffer with its couple of losses as much as people think.

I think this team will be prepared and well coached . I believe fritz is not a guy worried about style points, just the scoreboard and that's what the program needed.

Schedule is actually pretty difficult. All the above could come to fruition and we could still lose 8 games. That would be unfortunate because there's really no time for that. Fan base is sick of it and we need results.

My problem is scanning the schedule for 6 or 7 wins. Can't find em.

Ruski
Swell

I think there's a big, big possibility this team is drastically improved from last year.....and still manages 4/5 wins.

1. Defense will actually be statistically better this year. Last years team had the talent to be top 20/10 even. But in so many games in the 3rd/4th quarter our O couldn't pick up a single first down and the depth couldn't overcome the fatigue. This D will get more help from the O and will shut down many opposing teams.

2. Banks and the O-line will be much improved but still falter against good teams, and our schedule is chalked full of em.

3. We surprise quite a number of very good teams, taking games to the 3rd/4th quarter but our offense gets figured out and we're left with another season of 5 -7 "what-if" close calls that keep us from a bowl.

4. Special Teams is a big question mark for me. Last year was a nice improvement from CJ but there were still way too many mistakes in close games that kept the D on the field and missed opportunities from the kicking game. Totally changed the momentum in many games. Fritz has mentioned depth should make things better for ST but I'm not holding my breath just yet.
lurker123
Swell

I give a couple of wins minimum to the coaching staff. You can't win with nothing but now we have something so I'm staying flexible with my holiday scheduling. My gut and not my brain but hey you gotta root for the home team.
galvezwave
Swell

Ruski wrote:I think there's a big, big possibility this team is drastically improved from last year.....and still manages 4/5 wins.

1. Defense will actually be statistically better this year. Last years team had the talent to be top 20/10 even. But in so many games in the 3rd/4th quarter our O couldn't pick up a single first down and the depth couldn't overcome the fatigue. This D will get more help from the O and will shut down many opposing teams.

2. Banks and the O-line will be much improved but still falter against good teams, and our schedule is chalked full of em.

3. We surprise quite a number of very good teams, taking games to the 3rd/4th quarter but our offense gets figured out and we're left with another season of 5 -7 "what-if" close calls that keep us from a bowl.

4. Special Teams is a big question mark for me. Last year was a nice improvement from CJ but there were still way too many mistakes in close games that kept the D on the field and missed opportunities from the kicking game. Totally changed the momentum in many games. Fritz has mentioned depth should make things better for ST but I'm not holding my breath just yet.
Regarding item 3, I don't think stopping Tulane will be a matter of "figuring out". ld like to think that if the offense functions like it's supposed to, that figuring out should become a guessing game and a very difficult one at that. The right read, the right pitch, the right keep. we really got none of it last season. It should be a pain in the ass offense that teams will dread having to deal with. That's my rationale, anyway. We might be an atrocity again. I'm just dying to find out
greenphantom
Swell

4-6 wins. Guardedly optimistic that we will run the ball very well and throw just well enough to keep defenses honest. Still weak in too many other areas.
DrBox
Riptide

I'm on 5 for this season; beat Navy and it could be 6 or 7.
But my early forecast for next season is 10 wins. That's our breakout. I hope we have at least a mini-breakout this season, though.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:
Ruski wrote:I think there's a big, big possibility this team is drastically improved from last year.....and still manages 4/5 wins.

Regarding item 3, I don't think stopping Tulane will be a matter of "figuring out". ld like to think that if the offense functions like it's supposed to, that figuring out should become a guessing game and a very difficult one at that. The right read, the right pitch, the right keep. we really got none of it last season. It should be a pain in the ass offense that teams will dread having to deal with. That's my rationale, anyway. We might be an atrocity again. I'm just dying to find out
I agree, figuring it out and stopping it are two totally different things....Navy pretty much has been using their O for years, it still seems to work correct Offensive execution beats defensive design on just about every play...the difference this years over last, Tulane, on paper, has a QB that can beat you with his feet and arm...please note, I posted "on paper"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !