Fall Camp 2017

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote:
winwave wrote:Issues:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... fe66a.html

Gotta get tougher mentally and the offensive line has to get better.
I love Coach Fritz' attitude about acclimating to the heat & humidity as essentially a mindset. An IPF would be an asset for recruiting, but a hindrance for taking advantage of the hellish conditions of South Louisiana in September.
It's not just for recruiting purposes. We get too much rain and don't always have access to the Saints IPF and we no longer have the Dome as a back-up. It is also good for the players year round to have access to. There are nights after class when the players want to get work in and having it guarantees they can get that work in.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote:
Ruski wrote:
OL depth chart looks like:

LT Leglue
LG Brown
C Diaz, Knighton, Briggs
RG Briggs, Dublin
RT McLeod, T. Johnson

Not mentioned in the article are Brian Webb, Devon Johnson, John Washington (listed as OL on school website), Cameron Jackel, or Joey Claybrook.
Could John Washington transition back to the D-Line? Or is it once a bovine, always a bovine?
He could but he couldn't cut it there before so you'd have to doubt anything has changed.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Very interesting that so many true freshman are pushing their way into playing time roles and into the 2 deep depth charts. This class that was panned by the ranking services (and many here) may turn out to be one that's long on addressing needs, if short on adding ratings services stars and high grades.
Forever a "young" team...
I hear you, Steve. I'm a big proponent of looking at the two deep depth chart and seeing how many upperclassmen are on it to predict how a season will go. See my posts from last summer when I was panned for saying we would only win 4 games. Yes, we COULD have won more, but factors such as inexperience, inexperience in a brand new system, and players recruited for an entirely different offense held us back.

How often did we hear Fritz say "We need more football players that can compete at the D1 level"? We have found a few more. We'll be young, and it may be that we're improved but with no better record this year than last. But we're building. It is going to take a couple of upsets, but I don't think 6 wins is out of the question, as I did a year ago (despite a much tougher schedule in 2017.)
I'm not disagreeing with you, but we have this reasoning with every new head coach. Deja vu all over again. Toledo, CJ, and I hope not Fritz.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://twitter.com/Guersmith/status/895699510692687873
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenphantom
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:https://twitter.com/Guersmith/status/895699510692687873
That's good to hear but I'll wait to see it in games. I remember Toledo saying the same thing about one of his early classes. I'm like Steve in that it's the same story every year with so many young guys in the 2-deep. This is pretty much the life cycle of every Tulane recruiting class the last 15 years --

1. The freshmen class enters camp thinking they will be the class that finally changes the culture at Tulane.
2. Within first couple weeks of the camp, many of these freshmen are in the 2 deep and competing for starting positions.
3. Within two years, half the class is gone due to academics, injuries and not being FBS quality. Rarely do any of these players later surface elsewhere in college football.
4. By the time they start their Sr year, the class is down to about 8 players left with only a handful who are contributors.
5. These proud remaining few emphatically state in Fall camp how they have unfinished business and that this year's team is ready to win 6 games and make a Bowl game.
6. They play their last home game in front of 2,000 fans, limping to another 4 win season but proud that they set a foundation for future Tulane teams to turn the corner.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

greenphantom wrote:
That's good to hear but I'll wait to see it in games. I remember Toledo saying the same thing about one of his early classes. I'm like Steve in that it's the same story every year with so many young guys in the 2-deep. This is pretty much the life cycle of every Tulane recruiting class the last 15 years --

1. The freshmen class enters camp thinking they will be the class that finally changes the culture at Tulane.
2. Within first couple weeks of the camp, many of these freshmen are in the 2 deep and competing for starting positions.
3. Within two years, half the class is gone due to academics, injuries and not being FBS quality. Rarely do any of these players later surface elsewhere in college football.
4. By the time they start their Sr year, the class is down to about 8 players left with only a handful who are contributors.
5. These proud remaining few emphatically state in Fall camp how they have unfinished business and that this year's team is ready to win 6 games and make a Bowl game.
6. They play their last home game in front of 2,000 fans, limping to another 4 win season but proud that they set a foundation for future Tulane teams to turn the corner.
This :|
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
galvezwave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
greenphantom wrote:

Unfortunately, the story of our lives as Tulane fans. Guarded august optimism. Again.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox
Riptide

Rankings
By Stars (247):
2015 #91
2017 #111
By Other Offers
2015 #112 http://www.rankbyoffers.com/2015fbteams/
2017 #72 http://www.rankbyoffers.com/2017fbteams/
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for finding that rank by offers link. Interesting.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:Rankings
By Stars (247):
2015 #91
2017 #111
By Other Offers
2015 #112 http://www.rankbyoffers.com/2015fbteams/
2017 #72 http://www.rankbyoffers.com/2017fbteams/
I think Tulane's 2017 rank is number 77... UCF and USF are way up the board
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320
Green Wave

galvezwave wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
greenphantom wrote:

Unfortunately, the story of our lives as Tulane fans. Guarded august optimism. Again.
One thing I doubt we'll have to worry about is Fritz losing a bunch of players to academics. If you've been taking note of the players he offers and the guys that signed, most of them have fairly high GPAs and ACT/SAT scores.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:We do need one and it's why we are going to build one. There have been times where we lost practices to the weather b/c the Saints were using theirs. Secondly we get docked practice time for the travel time by NCAA rule. We can't show recruits that facility as it's not ours and not on campus. More importantly when it's on campus the players will have access to it at all times. With our rainy summers the players will never have to miss out on a summer workout. It's good that the Saints help us out but it will be better when it's our own new shiny facility.
Travel time is not docked at this time. Only when school begins.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We can never afford to lose practice time. Period.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

http://crescentcitysports.com/tulane-fo ... rterbacks/
“Banks is our clear-cut number one right now. Johnathan Brantley has an advantage over the other guys because he understands what we’re doing,” head coach Willie Fritz said. “He looks good throwing it, and it always goes to the right place, but he just has to be consistent with his delivery. We have a battle for that third spot, between Khalil McClain and Dane Ledford.”
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's actually from Tulane's site. I have been posting those position reviews in the Fall Camp thread.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:That's actually from Tulane's site. I have been posting those position reviews in the Fall Camp thread.
Ok thanks.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Turnovers:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 507f8.html

Good news that Tre Jackson is beginning to practice again.
winwave
Top of the WAVE