Basketball Travels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As per twitter it appears that the basketball team will be in a summer tourney overseas. The announcement will be tomorrow.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:As per twitter it appears that the basketball team will be in a summer tourney overseas. The announcement will be tomorrow.
I guess Ray Ona Embo won't be with them, as he's playing on France's U20 team all summer leading up to the European Championships. But it will be great for the team to bond, and learn about other cultures and styles of play. Not to mention, it's a great recruiting tool. Imagine the players that have never been overseas talking to recruits about their first experiences. I'm sure the possibility of a pro career overseas for those not blessed with NBA talent may come up as well (though most recruits think they're NBA bound!)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:As per twitter it appears that the basketball team will be in a summer tourney overseas. The announcement will be tomorrow.
It's really all about the extra organized practice time. Depending upon where they go, the game competition might be worth it or not as well.

This is like a bowl game for football as concerns the benefits of extra practice under the coaches. It helps everyone including the redshirts and the guys riding the pine.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt that's what it's about.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

This isn't unusual even for Tulane. The team played in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off July 2016. They also played in the Bahamas a few years ago. The binding is BS. It's an excuse to get a paid vacation for everyone involved. It's very expensive and never worth the money it costs IMO. It's fine if you have the money to waste like the P5 schools.
Kentucky bragged about spending almost $800K on one of its recent Bahamas travel trips.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:This isn't unusual even for Tulane. The team played in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off July 2016. They also played in the Bahamas a few years ago. The binding is BS. It's an excuse to get a paid vacation for everyone involved. It's very expensive and never worth the money it costs IMO. It's fine if you have the money to waste like the P5 schools.
Kentucky bragged about spending almost $800K on one of its recent Bahamas travel trips.
Show me, I agree....Tulane needs to apply those funds to other projects ...now on to Rocky and Carlos' !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They'll play 4 games in Spain from 8-9 to 8-19. The games will be in Madrid and Barcelona.
Show Me
Tsunami

Wow. 10 days in Spain. Nice paid vacation if you can get it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

I'll bet Rick Dickson finds a way to tag along!

Dunleavy must have some pictures of Dannen with a sheep to get this EXPENSIVE trip!!
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Dunleavy has been recruiting European players heavily, so I'm 100% ok with this trip. If we get a recruit or two from this trip it will be well worth it. If we don't get any recruits and we win less than 8 games next year, yeah, it might not be worth it.
Show Me
Tsunami

UNO stayed in New Orleans last summer and they went to the Big Dance. Conroy did these trips and they never paid off. I get it. Everyone does them so you're sort of forced into doing them. It's just a nice vacation for all that are involved. Playing only 4 games in 10 days isn't worth the expense.
nowave
Ripple

looks like troy left northern iowa in a bit of a financial mess when he left and thats with funding from the school and student body. with trips like this looks like tulane will be the next school he sinks

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... 455659001/
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:This isn't unusual even for Tulane. The team played in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off July 2016. They also played in the Bahamas a few years ago. The binding is BS. It's an excuse to get a paid vacation for everyone involved. It's very expensive and never worth the money it costs IMO. It's fine if you have the money to waste like the P5 schools.
Have you ever played on a team? Did you ever play on one that took a trip to a foreign country, where most of your teammates and you don't speak the language? BONDING is a huge part of this trip.
"We're very excited about our team trip to Spain," Dunleavy said. "This experience will do a lot for our program and Tulane University. It's a great opportunity for our team to bond and play competitive games against some really good teams and players.
"This is a great opportunity for all of us to play against a higher level of competition and see the world because a lot of us have never left the country, including myself," redshirt senior Cameron Reynolds said. "I think it's going to be a really good time for us to grow as a team and build chemistry heading into next season."
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nowave wrote:looks like troy left northern iowa in a bit of a financial mess when he left and thats with funding from the school and student body. with trips like this looks like tulane will be the next school he sinks

What a troll post. You are NO Wave. He didn't leave them in a financial mess, his department ran a deficit the year he left that was roughly 2%, after a similar surplus the previous year. And by the way, Tulane is spelled with a capital T.
lurker123
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
nowave wrote:looks like troy left northern iowa in a bit of a financial mess when he left and thats with funding from the school and student body. with trips like this looks like tulane will be the next school he sinks

What a troll post. You are NO Wave. He didn't leave them in a financial mess, his department ran a deficit the year he left that was roughly 2%, after a similar surplus the previous year. And by the way, Tulane is spelled with a capital T.
You beat me to it. I think NO Wave is on trolling patrol from Tiger Droppings.
lurker123
Swell

Show Me wrote:UNO stayed in New Orleans last summer and they went to the Big Dance. Conroy did these trips and they never paid off. I get it. Everyone does them so you're sort of forced into doing them. It's just a nice vacation for all that are involved. Playing only 4 games in 10 days isn't worth the expense.
According to one newspaper report, Tulane will be allowed up to 10 practices before it departs for Spain. Counting the ten days in Spain and the four games scheduled (I'm not saying Tulane will play the Madrid Celtics but it won't be the lollipops, Conroy scheduled in the Bahamas), Tulane will get 15 to 20 extra organized practices out of this and some good competition. That means Tulane is in effect having September 15th Madness while much of its competition won't start until October 15th.

What's not to like about this especially after hanging up a six win season? We should be thankful that TD and MD figured out how to support this budget wise.

I'm curious are you even a basketball season ticket holder? I am and I'm damn glad the admin is doing something meaningful to improve on court success.

Sorry to call you out on this but it is just another example that some people around here seem to prefer losing and wallowing in the misery. I don't know another way to put it.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Have you ever played on a team? Did you ever play on one that took a trip to a foreign country, where most of your teammates and you don't speak the language? BONDING is a huge part of this trip.
"We're very excited about our team trip to Spain," Dunleavy said. "This experience will do a lot for our program and Tulane University. It's a great opportunity for our team to bond and play competitive games against some really good teams and players.
"This is a great opportunity for all of us to play against a higher level of competition and see the world because a lot of us have never left the country, including myself," redshirt senior Cameron Reynolds said. "I think it's going to be a really good time for us to grow as a team and build chemistry heading into next season."
Played on many teams. My parents paid for my travel not Tulane GWC donors. The bonding is plain BS. It's a nice paid vacation. You don't reward a 6 win team with a $100,000 plus vacation. These guys are roommates and some have been for a few years. I get the the search for good competition I only doubt that it's worth the expense of flying, feeding, housing around 20 something players/staffers for 10 days overseas. It never once paid off in the past including Puerto Rico in 2016. "Show Me" some wins first then I'll "buy in" on the overseas travel.
Like I said UNO on a peanut budget went to the NCAA's and beat our a$$ on the way there. I have been a season ticket holder since the Perry days but I will not renew this season. There's simply no ticket demand even in a 3K gym. They will have to "show me" first.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:

Here's a fact. He killed baseball at UNI because he thought it was money drain.
Last edited by Show Me on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
nowave
Ripple

DfromCT wrote:

maybe i dont properly capitalize words because i post from my phone but at least i know how to read. yes they operated in a surplus the previous year but even with over $5 million in assistance from student fees and the university they lost money his final year. id be willing to bet he overspent because he knew he would get another opportunity elsewhere and not have to clean up the mess - the same thing he will do here. when he bolts who is going to play janitor?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:

Hell...U can go to parts of NOLA and South Louisiana not speak the language...one hell of a lot cheaper also
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

So let me get this straight, in order to get the ten extra practices you have to schedule a foreign trip? That is a very strange policy. To me it reeks of P5 meddling as most of the non-P5's cannot afford a trip thus giving the P5's an advantage.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:So let me get this straight, in order to get the ten extra practices you have to schedule a foreign trip? That is a very strange policy. To me it reeks of P5 meddling as most of the non-P5's cannot afford a trip thus giving the P5's an advantage.
Yes. The P5's looking for ways to blow their millions and continue to widen the gap from the G5's. Pay to play philosophy.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What relevance the baseball program at UNI has to a Tulane basketball team taking an overseas trip in the summer is beyond me. I can say this, however. In the mid 1990's the Ridgefield (CT) HIGH SCHOOL basketball team took a similar trip through Europe. They won the conference and state titles the following (same academic year) season. The coach was in his second or third season and everyone said the bonding experience from the trip helped make a group of kids a team. I don't expect similar results, but I do think there's something to be said for bonding as a team. So do the coaches and players. Or do we just ignore what they say?

Do we know for certain how the trip is being funded? Regardless of who is paying, If it improves the team, I'm for it. I agree there's vacation like aspects of such a trip, but I don't think it's much of a vacation for the coaching staff. Would you want to travel with 12 or so young men ages 18-22? I know I wouldn't think of that as a vacation, especially if I were responsible to keep them in line. I know Tulane Athletics provides plenty of fodder to complain about; looking at the big picture, this isn't worth getting your panties in a knot.
GreenLantern
Riptide

lurker123 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

You beat me to it. I think NO Wave is on trolling patrol from Tiger Droppings.
When a new forum contributor has only a handful of prior posts and makes such an inflammatory statement (as did nowave/e e cummings) I suspect a strong personal agenda.