Chase Solesky

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17930
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:05 pm

Just some info from a baseball friend. Cutting scholarships is an NCAA violation. One reason why Alabama fired their coach.


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:24 pm

tpstulane wrote:Cutting scholarships is an NCAA violation

Only an NCAA violation in power 5 conferences.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:56 pm

https://www.tidesports.com/goff-tries-r ... caa-rules/
Under NCAA bylaw 15.3.4.1, schools can reduce or cancel scholarships in cases where an athlete “renders himself or herself ineligible,” or “fraudulently misrepresents any information” on scholarship and financial agreements,” or “engages in serious misconduct warranting substantial disciplinary penalty.”

Athletes can voluntarily give up their scholarships, but the institution must honor scholarship agreements. In January 2015, NCAA schools passed legislation that required Power 5 conference schools, including Alabama and other SEC schools, to renew scholarships annually regardless of athletic performance. Previously, most scholarships were subject to annual renewal. Schools outside the Power 5 such as Louisiana Tech, Goff’s previous stop, are not required to renew scholarships annually.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17930
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:https://www.tidesports.com/goff-tries-r ... caa-rules/
Under NCAA bylaw 15.3.4.1, schools can reduce or cancel scholarships in cases where an athlete “renders himself or herself ineligible,” or “fraudulently misrepresents any information” on scholarship and financial agreements,” or “engages in serious misconduct warranting substantial disciplinary penalty.”

Athletes can voluntarily give up their scholarships, but the institution must honor scholarship agreements. In January 2015, NCAA schools passed legislation that required Power 5 conference schools, including Alabama and other SEC schools, to renew scholarships annually regardless of athletic performance. Previously, most scholarships were subject to annual renewal. Schools outside the Power 5 such as Louisiana Tech, Goff’s previous stop, are not required to renew scholarships annually.
Ok. One reason it's good not to be P5. :)
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:21 am
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Firing of that Bama coach was a witch hunt. They were looking for an excuse and they got one In my oppinion. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but jewett didn't pull his scholly, he just lowered it? Too bad our school isn't wealthy enough to help with aid.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17930
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:56 pm

RollWaveRoll wrote:Firing of that Bama coach was a witch hunt. They were looking for an excuse and they got one In my oppinion. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but jewett didn't pull his scholly, he just lowered it? Too bad our school isn't wealthy enough to help with aid.
He was cut what he was promised.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
posse
Low Tide
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:59 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:27 pm

tpstulane wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:Firing of that Bama coach was a witch hunt. They were looking for an excuse and they got one In my oppinion. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but jewett didn't pull his scholly, he just lowered it? Too bad our school isn't wealthy enough to help with aid.
He was cut what he was promised.
tps, does this lack of financial support (stacking?) for baseball mean that Tulane is not fully vested in a winning athletic program?
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17930
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:39 pm

posse wrote: tps, does this lack of financial support (stacking?) for baseball mean that Tulane is not fully vested in a winning athletic program?
Our coaches always seem to have to be able to compete on an unlevel playing field. But baseball is by far the most difficult to do so with only 11.7 scholarships available at our cost of tuition.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
posse
Low Tide
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:59 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:34 pm

tpstulane wrote: Our coaches always seem to have to be able to compete on an unlevel playing field. But baseball is by far the most difficult to do so with only 11.7 scholarships available at our cost of tuition.
What a shame.......The sad part is, no matter what AD takes over, it is the same BS, "We are taking steps to correct the problem and level the playing field",
but the same problems exist decade after decade.....Nothing really changes but AD's and Coaches.....and Tulane wonders why long time fans get discouraged and find a new interest........
User avatar
chain gang x man
Swell
Posts: 1032
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:02 pm
Location: Destrehan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Chase is back on the roster
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17930
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:12 pm

chain gang x man wrote:Chase is back on the roster
Great news! Unused Juco money freed up probably helped get Chase back.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12444
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Good to hear.
Let's Do This!
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2853
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Welcome back Chase. It's too bad Jewett has to financially negotiate with his players. Jones had done it for years. The NCAA is horrible. Title IX has wrecked baseball. 11.7 is not fair to these male student athletes. Embarrassing this stuff has to take place.
Post Reply