Stoops retiring at OU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
anEngineer
Riptide

This was just announced in a huge surprise with no real reason given. Obviously afraid to play Tulane.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Lincoln Riley (OC) to step up and fill HC vacancy. THAT is what I call a coach in waiting.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Interesting news. It really is surprising as they are supposed to be really good this year.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Lincoln Riley (OC) to step up and fill HC vacancy. THAT is what I call a coach in waiting.
Wasn't he one of the names thrown around to replace CJ?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

All of the links for this subject are posted "Under Everything You Wanted to Know..and Less'...for several hours
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Lincoln Riley (OC) to step up and fill HC vacancy. THAT is what I call a coach in waiting.
Wasn't he one of the names thrown around to replace CJ?
He and Dino Babers (whom ultimately went to Syracuse) were on my (meaningless) list!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:All of the links for this subject are posted "Under Everything You Wanted to Know..and Less'...for several hours
This thread started a minute or two before the other thread started discussing Stoops retiring.

Something is very fishy about the timing. What coach goes through spring practice and retires before summer camp begins?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:All of the links for this subject are posted "Under Everything You Wanted to Know..and Less'...for several hours
This thread started a minute or two before the other thread started discussing Stoops retiring.

Something is very fishy about the timing. What coach goes through spring practice and retires before summer camp begins?
I never saw this thread, but i noticed the one posted on the other thread...that is where I posted all of the 'links"...MOD's please post my links on this thread...thanks
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

DfromCT wrote:

I agree with ya that the timing is very strange, however, speculation is that he might have heart disease, which if true, doesn't make timing that suspicious. I believe Stoops Sr. died at a youngish age, 54, of a massive heart attack, so it seems like it might run in the family and that might be why he decided it's time to hang up the whistle.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: I agree with ya that the timing is very strange, however, speculation is that he might have heart disease, which if true, doesn't make timing that suspicious. I believe Stoops Sr. died at a youngish age, 54, of a massive heart attack, so it seems like it might run in the family and that might be why he decided it's time to hang up the whistle.
That would explain a whole lot, no doubt.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote: I agree with ya that the timing is very strange, however, speculation is that he might have heart disease, which if true, doesn't make timing that suspicious. I believe Stoops Sr. died at a youngish age, 54, of a massive heart attack, so it seems like it might run in the family and that might be why he decided it's time to hang up the whistle.
That would explain a whole lot, no doubt.
Well, he's also leaving on a high note. Short of winning a national title, what more could Stoops ask for than retiring after a Sugar Bowl victory? If he made to the playoff and lost, regardless as to whether it was the first game or the championship game itself, it wouldn't be as high of a note as winning the Sugar Bowl.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I agree with ya that the timing is very strange, however, speculation is that he might have heart disease, which if true, doesn't make timing that suspicious. I believe Stoops Sr. died at a youngish age, 54, of a massive heart attack, so it seems like it might run in the family and that might be why he decided it's time to hang up the whistle.
He is a strong family man and wants to spend more time with his kids who are entering their high school years. I bet he'll do a little color commentary, and then come back into college football in 2 or 3 years with a mega contract, somewhere in the Midwest or southeast. Rumors on OU campus already have Notre Dame setting a place at the table for him.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Show Me
Tsunami

Can't but help at this point. But the timing is strange for sure.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

under Stoops OU average margin of victory has been around 30 points...I wonder if Lincoln, will want to send a few message early....
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:under Stoops OU average margin of victory has been around 30 points...I wonder if Lincoln, will want to send a few message early....
They have a tough Week 2 going up to the Shoe to play the Buckeyes that whooped them badly last year, but then they get us in week 3...
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:under Stoops OU average margin of victory has been around 30 points...I wonder if Lincoln, will want to send a few message early....
They have a tough Week 2 going up to the Shoe to play the Buckeyes that whooped them badly last year, but then they get us in week 3...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... YJ7dGT4GVg